PDA

View Full Version : Friday

MariborKev
10/11/2003, 9:15 PM
Right Lads

Being a mad eejit, I have decided to fly down to Cork from Belfast for the game on Friday. The only probelm is that there is only one flight and it arrives at 8am

Any reasonable suggestions for how to spend the day?

I have been to Cork before but usually just been hotel, to the X, to the bar, to the hotel, to Derry

What would you lot advise?

thecorner
10/11/2003, 11:23 PM
do a bit of xmas shopping for yourself in the centre of bagdhad cos that what our town now resembles

also a few pubs open at 8am if ur interested

A face
10/11/2003, 11:37 PM
Dont know what you are into, are you going on the **** for the day.

If not then you could kill some time in the Art Gallery and the Museum. The Butter Market by Shandon is worth a visit. Shandon itself and view the City. You could visit the English Market.

After that there is shopping and the cinema or the pub.

To be honest .... with all the ework going on, the City is a kip right now.

SÓC
10/11/2003, 11:59 PM
The "early birds" usually hit the Horseshoe by around fourish.

Until then why not get out of the city and visit somewhere like Kinsale, about 40 mins on the bus. Mad place, loads of good pubs and food.

You could take the tour of the City, they bring you out to Blarney tho' so its not all good:)

If you are 14 and on the hop from school the Vic and the Col are not to be missed (crappy arcades).

Ruairi
11/11/2003, 10:21 AM
I'll probably be off for the morning, if you want to spend your time with a fellow derry man (albeit one with a cork accent)

tiktok
11/11/2003, 10:56 AM
Cork City Gaol is a good tour...
Have a picnic out in Fota....
The Crawford Gallery is always worth a look...
Go see 'spirited away' in the Kino...
Have a Burger and chips in lennox's for lunch....
Head into a Boole Basement lecture hall in UCC and shout 'fire'...
Throw stones at the skateboarders outside the Opera House...

there's loads to do in cork [City of Culture 2005 ;) ]

MariborKev
12/11/2003, 9:34 PM
Right Lads

Thanks for the advice- f*cking 8am flight:mad:

I think I will grab the Gaol tour

One other question- decent art shop as I need to buy stuff for a banner as I couldn't do it in Belfast as I can't get the sheets on the plane without the chance of damage

A face
12/11/2003, 9:47 PM
Originally posted by Maribor
decent art shop as I need to buy stuff for a banner

Princes street ... on the Southmall side middle of that street. With your back to Southmall it is on the right. The only dedicated shop really.

Cork Art Supplies ..... You might try Easons on Patricks st. down by Merchants Quay but their Art section is more of a schools supply effort.

MariborKev
13/11/2003, 11:13 AM
Any chance it will be off tomorrow night lads?

SEVERE weather is set to sweep the country from this evening, threatening floods in coastal places anda risk of structural damage as winds gust as high as 80mph.

Local authorities have been issued with a severe weather warning, notified of the risk of structural damage and motorists, particularly those with high-sided vehicles, have been urged to take extra care.

Met Eireann warned that Munster and south Leinster are at most risk of structural damage, though everywhere south of the line from North Mayo to Louth will be hit by very strong winds.

There is risk of flooding caused by high seas in coastal areas, particularly in the South West. However, heavy rain and strong winds in all areas could cause flash flooding, with falling leaves blocking gullies and drains.

A Met Eireann spokesman said the storm would be a "middling" one.

Widespread damage is unlikely, though there could be some damage to trees and minor damage to buildings, such as falling slates, he said.

The early part of the day will start off mainly dry However, the South West will be hit by heavy driving rain soon after daybreak, spreading quickly to all parts in the afternoon, accompanied by gale force winds.

An Irish Ferries spokesman said stormy seas may result in the cancellation of the fast ferry services though the normal service should be unaffected.

Pablo
13/11/2003, 2:28 PM
its dry enough at the moment so i'd say you'll be fine. be more worried about fog if i were you.......cork airports on top of a mountain! :rolleyes:

Cityace
13/11/2003, 2:39 PM
Originally posted by Ruairi
I'll probably be off for the morning, if you want to spend your time with a fellow derry man (albeit one with a cork accent)

Didnt know that................

Good job on the radio last friday,BTW

Ali-G
13/11/2003, 5:36 PM
There should be no fear of the Cross being out of action. We defintiely have one of the best pitches in the country for dealing with the bad weather.

Cityace
14/11/2003, 10:56 AM
Yea i agree with you there.Unless there is a friggin monsoon, the pitch never really gets very slippy.

MariborKev
14/11/2003, 11:13 AM
Right arrived- but only just

Plane took three attempts to land due to the wind!!!!!!!!

When is the last deadline for the match to be called off?

ccfc till i die
14/11/2003, 11:24 AM
I think it can be anything up to an hour or so before kick off. I remember a match with UCD where tons of people showed up only to be told it had been cancelled.

The weather is alright now though and it hasn't rained for a while, we played a match against longford the other week in much worse conditions so it'll be grand.

James
14/11/2003, 11:55 AM
kev,

last i heard pitch is ok and match going ahead
see ya in the hshoe for a few pints b4 the match if ya like
- james

Gary
14/11/2003, 12:31 PM
Originally posted by James

see ya in the hshoe for a few pints b4 the match if ya like
- james

In the away section!