PDA

View Full Version : Future Irish team/squad

The Fly
21/12/2008, 5:02 PM
The time period in particular I have in mind is post World Cup in South Africa and leading to the next European Championships and beyond. I am quietly confident that we will have a team/squad that will be able to qualify for the latter stages of major tournaments.

The problem area at present is centre midfield. In future I see this as being our strongest asset. Gibson, *Ireland (assuming he returns), James MacCarthy and Garvan will make up the core. From what I have seen - Gibson, MacCarthy and Garvan will make it at a high level. Whether that is at United for Gibson remains to be seen but he has the talent to make it, for me he resembles a young Carrick but with a more imposing physique. Garvan is a player with obvious ability who will make it in the premiership. At what level also remains to be seen, I have not seen enough of him to make that call. Others on here who have seen him more than I have could perhaps offer their opinions on this. MacCarthy is a tantalising prospect - all the attention he has received from Europe's top clubs is warranted and deserved. Barring injuries or other serious setbacks, he can be world class and go on to succeed at the highest level.
* We are all aware of what he can do.(no jokes please):p

The two reids will also be there as will others like McCann and an emerging Clifford at Chelsea. O'Toole is an interesting case. He is by performing very well in the championship and scoring goals. I have only seen him twice and again cannot make a proper judgement call. Others on here could again give more informed opinions. He is attracting attention from premiership clubs, so perhaps this bodes well for him.

In defence, Dunne and O'Shea will still be there. Of the players to emerge in central defence, Darren O'Dea and Marc Wilson are the best that I have seen. Both are footballing centre-halfs, have intelligence and good technique and will make it. They will complement our future midfield well to form along with Given a good spine for the side. Others like St.Ledger and Paddy McCarthy I remain to be convinced by. Full back is an area where I wouldn't have the knowledge of the emerging players to make a call. Though after reading most of MancIrishWolf's reports on Dominic Foley's performances for Wolves, hopefully he will progress. Defence could prove to be a problem in terms of strength in depth in the future.

In attack I believe McGeady will play as a number 10, Trap himself has said he intends to do this. In terms of natural ability and skill he is our best player. Perservere with him - he will produce the goods consistently in time and in my opinion prove to be our most crucial player. Thankfully Keane, Duff and Doyle will all still be there - as will Hunt:D. Hopefully others like Doran at Blackburn and especially Brady at United will begin to emerge also. As regards strikers, players like Long, Keogh, Stokes, Folan and Leon Best, most of us are fully aware of them. If there are any other strikers emerging in the youth ranks of clubs in Britain who are showing promise - please tell me.

Please give opinions/criticisms. Add more players and thoughts on future strengths and weaknesses of the side. It may all just be conjecture and speculation but..........

P.S - I hope Barry Maguire can be persuaded to play for us.

richieos
21/12/2008, 5:36 PM
lineup for 2012 qualifying:

given

foley dunne o'shea ward

Mcgeady McCarthy Garvan Duff/Hunt

Keane

Doyle

looks like a promising team

richieos
21/12/2008, 5:38 PM
actually now that i think of it. i reckon that team would get us to the world cup this time around.

stiffler
21/12/2008, 6:44 PM
Apart from Ward, are there many promising left backs coming through??

richieos
21/12/2008, 6:46 PM
In two years time it'd be the same team we have now ideally with an actual left back and Stephen Ireland + Steven Reid in the centre.

finnan will be gone. kilbane will surely be gone. also i expect the usual surprise retirement in 2010, maybe given

seanfhear
21/12/2008, 6:54 PM
I don't want to be a prophet of doom lads but can you really see Steven Reid playing for Ireland much if ever again.

I think with his injury record its unlikely that Blackburn are going to be too happy about him playing for Ireland.

And a lot depends on when his contract is up for renewal as to how much pressure clubs can exert.

Diarmo
21/12/2008, 7:08 PM
Apart from Ward, are there many promising left backs coming through??

Unlike others, I'm rather optimistic about our future left backs. Painter at Swansea, Sheehan at Leeds, O'Halloran at Villa (injured, I know) are 3 young left backs, all under 22, that have a good chunk of first team experience. If any of them continue to develop, we should have a good few options at left back. Add in Delaney, Ward, O'Dea and hopefully we should have at least 1 solid left back... Hopefully.

superfrank
21/12/2008, 7:26 PM
Ward is more of a left sided midfielder.

I know he's played at left-back for Wolves, and well on what I've seen, but at Bohs he was at his best on the left of midfield. It seems like his natural position.

eirebhoy
21/12/2008, 11:21 PM
Ward is more of a left sided midfielder.

I know he's played at left-back for Wolves, and well on what I've seen, but at Bohs he was at his best on the left of midfield. It seems like his natural position.
He's playing left back all season.

McCarthy:

“He’s a left-back, no question. I don’t see many better left-backs in the league than him. That’s his position without a doubt, because he tackles like a defender.

He always did and that’s what I always loved about him as a forward, because he gave his lot.

I spoke to Liam Brady on Monday at Reading and they’re aware of him – he played in a B international for them.

I don’t want all my players lost to international duty but he’ll get in the team at some stage. They have got Kevin Kilbane, Damien Delaney and now they could have Stephen Ward.

International squads aren’t that big and someone will probably pick him. If he gets his chance and plays well, who knows?

He has fabulous use of the ball from that position because everything is in front of him. It’s a different role but we can build from the back with Wardy.

He could always defend but he’s learned that art very quickly, and how to play with a back four. He has a very good understanding of the game and how it’s played, which not everyone does.

People talk about good players but for me it’s about an understanding of the game. He can play left midfield, he plays up front and he can play at left-back.

I’ll bet if I asked him to play left-sided centre-back, he could do a job there as well because he just grasps what it’s about. I’ve seen those things in him ever since he came here.

That’s probably why I appreciate him as much as I do and like and respect him as much as I do, because he just goes and does it with no fuss at all.”

“If George Elokobi was fit, I’d have two fantastic left-backs. If George was coming back next week, would I leave him (Ward) out of the team?

The answer is no, I doubt it very much. But George isn’t coming back. I wish he was, it would be brilliant.”

Allstar
22/12/2008, 10:12 PM
how is painter eligible for ireland????????

zackmorris
22/12/2008, 10:46 PM
If you are talking about aaron doran at blackburn, although he looks like an excellant prospect, I think both Alan Judge and Keith Treacy are a bit ahead of him at the moment.

co. down green
22/12/2008, 11:24 PM
how is painter eligible for ireland????????

Kildare grandparents

The Fly
23/12/2008, 3:05 AM
Zackmorris - I did mean to write Keith Treacy instead of Doran but I noticed the mistake too late to edit it. Anyway let's hope both turn out well. I suppose since this thread will include alot of young/up-and-coming players, and having mentioned Barry Maguire in the first post, I remember reading about two young brothers with the surname Walker playing in Sweden. Their father is former Irish international :confused: ........Mr.Walker :D, so obviously they're eligible for us. Anybody have any info on them?

KildareFan
23/12/2008, 4:44 AM
One you forgot to mention is Sean Scannell playing for Palace - still only 18 - same age as Mc Carthy.

Good looking left full coming through at Blackburn- Gavin Gunning- can play anywhere across the back.

Youngster Paul Murphy - forward - playing with Ipswich could make the breakthrough this year

The Fly
23/12/2008, 5:05 AM
Completely forgot about Scannell, definately one for the future. Martin O'Neill is rumoured to be interested in signing him for Villa. Does anyone have any updates on how he's progressing for Palace? Is he being played up-front or as a winger?

randomcomment
23/12/2008, 9:02 AM
He's doing very well at Palace. Plays either on the wing or up front. Same style as Theo Walcott. Other ones to watch out for that I know of are:

*some may already be mentioned, sorry

Conor Hourihane (Sunderland)
Gary Dicker (Stockport)
Stephen Gleeson (Stockport)
Conor McCormack (Triestina)
Michael Collins (Triestina)
David Joyce (Birmingham)
James O'Brien (Birmingham)
Conrad Logan (Birmingham?)
Conor Clifford (Chelsea)
Tiernan Mulvenna (Dundalk) --- Watch this space this season... ;)

tetsujin1979
23/12/2008, 1:27 PM
Completely forgot about Scannell, definately one for the future. Martin O'Neill is rumoured to be interested in signing him for Villa. Does anyone have any updates on how he's progressing for Palace? Is he being played up-front or as a winger?
In and out of the starting XI, but always in the matchday squad. Seems a decent kid, and Trap rates him as well. I watched the Palace - Southampton game a few weeks ago and he was up front with Kuqi, seemed to be playing a little behind the big man, making a nuisance of himself.

The Fly
23/12/2008, 4:44 PM
His name is Pat Walker and is a coach in Sweden. He also is a pundit on Swedish TV where apparently he assumes an Eamon Dunphy type approach/persona towards analysis. His two sons are Robert and Kevin. Robert was born March 6 1987 and plays for Orebro SK, Kevin was born August 3 1989 and plays for AIK Fotboll. Both are attacking midfielders/forwards. Kevin is the more highly rated of the two. I would welcome the technique of two Irish -Swedish educated footballers and one Dutch educated possible Irish footballer in Barry Maguire in our setup

irishfan86
23/12/2008, 7:38 PM
Robert Walker has underage caps for Sweden, and as he is now 21 won't be able to change allegiance under the current rules.

Kevin is only 19 and still has time to decide.

As for the main topic of the thread, here would be my team post WC 2010:

-----------Given----------

Foley--Dunne--O'Shea--Ward

McGeady-S.Reid-Garvan-Duff

------Keane--Doyle------

Fullbacks Ward and Foley of Wolves are two of our brightest prospects, and would arguably be our best fullbacks now. After a year and a bit of development they could be even better.

McGeady will have more experience, and hopefully some level of stability.

I see Stephen Reid as our key cog if he can ever maintain fitness. I think McCann could play his role well if he gets a chance.

The other spot alongside is up for grabs. I've been impressed with Garvan when I've seen him.

McCarthy is looking very good at Hamilton and could be pushing for that spot as well.

Up front I see Scannell and Sheridan getting into the mix by that point.

I'd love to see a Keane-Sheridan partnership, I think this would get the best out of both players. Sheridan is not ready yet, but in the time period you specify he might have matured enough to make an impact.

Duff's involvement will depend on his injury situation, but despite missing a fair amount of games with little niggles this season, he is performing well when he does play. Even if he is available sporadically for us, his quality is worth keeping around as he can win a match with a bit of genius as we saw in the Cyprus game there recently.

Don't see Andy Reid involved much unless we have a regime change. Ireland could come into the reckoning if he returns.

cavan_fan
23/12/2008, 8:44 PM
The problem area at present is centre midfield. In future I see this as being our strongest asset. Gibson, *Ireland (assuming he returns), James MacCarthy and Garvan will make up the core. From what I have seen - Gibson, MacCarthy and Garvan will make it at a high level. Whether that is at United for Gibson remains to be seen but he has the talent to make it, for me he resembles a young Carrick but with a more imposing physique. Garvan is a player with obvious ability who will make it in the premiership.

Garvan has not progressed in 3 years, he has been a fairy regular performer for a poor Ipswich sie all that time. What other country wol still be getting so excited by him.

The Fly
24/12/2008, 12:32 AM
Cavan_fan - I think he will/would make it in the premier league. At what level in the league is another question though. Others who have seen him play more I have would be better placed than myself to make that call. I know people raved about his performance for the under-21's against England but in my experience it's best not to trust performances for underage levels. They can be a big red herring for future prospects. As regards his overall progress for Ipswich and as a player in general, was his career not derailed by serious illness at one point?

The Fly
24/12/2008, 12:41 AM
My main concern for us post South Africa would definately be in defence, both central and full-back. This has always been a traditional strength of ours. Apart from O'Dea and Wilson, who are the best prospects I've seen, there doesn't seem to be many players of genuine quality coming through. I think we may struggle with strength in depth here. Does anyone else share this concern?

irishfan86
24/12/2008, 4:04 AM
My main concern for us post South Africa would definately be in defence, both central and full-back. This has always been a traditional strength of ours. Apart from O'Dea and Wilson, who are the best prospects I've seen, there doesn't seem to be many players of genuine quality coming through. I think we may struggle with strength in depth here. Does anyone else share this concern?

No.

Dunne should still be playing at a high level.

Hopefully O'Shea is playing at centre-half regularly somewhere.

St. Ledger will hopefully have been recognized at that point

McShane, while I'm not his biggest fan, seems to be doing well at Hull. As he matures he'll only improve.

Wilson is highly rated at Portsmouth as you say, and can play at left-full or centre half.

I think O'Dea is meant to be a centre-half, and he should never be used as a fullback. Looks quality in the middle though.

Hope he gets out of Celtic or is given a chance there.

Foley seems to be getting rave reviews- right backs don't get talked about like he's being talked about.

His teammate, Ward, is playing fantastically at left-full by all accounts as well.

I was very impressed by Eddie Nolan when I watched him play for Preston at right full.

I'll give you a little depth chart here of players I feel will emerge post 2010 (some players fill multiple categories):

Right backs:

Foley
Nolan

Centre-halfs:

O'Dea
St. Ledger
Wilson
McShane

Left-full:

Ward

There are other guys that can come into the reckoning as well that are harder to predict. A Championship journeyman like Paddy McCarthy may become a viable option as he matures, or a player could emerge from nowhere.

Some young players just jump from the academy right into a squad.

Maybe a LoI centre-half can make the breakthrough as it looks like Gartland will do.

eirebhoy
24/12/2008, 2:18 PM
Garvan has not progressed in 3 years, he has been a fairy regular performer for a poor Ipswich sie all that time. What other country wol still be getting so excited by him.
Of course he has. He's rated as Ipswich's best player now. He was out ill/injured for almost a season aswel. He made the official Championship team of the week 3 out of 4 weeks recently. He'll be in the premiership next season no doubt.

Carrigaline
27/12/2008, 5:15 PM
Rather than look at the players coming through, it's probably more beneficial to look at the players who will be calling it quits/needing to be phased out.

Given: You guys probably won't want to hear this, but we need to seriously start looking at his replacement. He seems to be getting increasingly more injury-prone. Also, while he's still our best 'keeper by a mile, his performances this year are down on his previous season which in turn were down on the one before that.

Kilbane: Has lost his place in the team at Wigan. We're not exactly blessed in the left-back position though. Think we need to start blooding some youngsters.

Finnan: Increasingly injury-prone, out of the Espanyol team and getting on. I can see him calling it a day after this World Cup campaign.

Duff: Next year Duff is going to be 30. We've already seen that his injuries have affected his performances and kept him on the treatment table. As our best winger, we seriously need to find a play who can at least come close to his calibre. Hunt and McGeady are decent, but at their ages, they're not likely to match his ability.

richieos
27/12/2008, 5:57 PM
i disagree about given, his performances for ireland since the kerr/staunton era's have been his best ever for ireland, and hes been consistantly excellent at club level since he broke through. his performance level will never drop, lets just hope he does a david james and plays for us untill hes 38

Closed Account
27/12/2008, 7:15 PM
Given: You guys probably won't want to hear this, but we need to seriously start looking at his replacement. He seems to be getting increasingly more injury-prone. Also, while he's still our best 'keeper by a mile, his performances this year are down on his previous season which in turn were down on the one before that.
This?

When is he injured? Except for his car crash like injury from Harewood, he hasn't been injured at all? Crazy talk.

irishfan86
27/12/2008, 10:01 PM
I also think I should mention that Coventry's Westwood is looking like our keeper for the future.

Colin Doyle could be an option too if he can win back the starting place at Birmingham or get a move.

sligoman
27/12/2008, 10:05 PM
Paul McShane is absolute muck for Hull, how he gets starting the whole time is a mystery.

irishfan86
27/12/2008, 10:26 PM
He's done well for the most part when I've seen him play for them.

I think he played at left back against City, so I'm not going to use that game to judge his ability at all.

tetsujin1979
28/12/2008, 2:14 AM
I think he played at left back against City
According to the line ups on Sky Sports, this is correct
From what I know of McShane's career, this is possibly the first time he's played left full, certainly in the Premiership.
This also meant he was lining up against Elano and Shaun Wright-Phillips with Dean Marney playing in front of him.
I certainly would not judge his ability on this one game. He's been pretty much ever-present for Hull since joining them on loan, apart from one game when he was injured. Phil Brown doesn't seem to be one to suffer fools gladly, and there's no way he'd let McShane into his squad, never mind his starting XI if he didn't think the lad was able for it.