View Full Version : Supporters' Awards

UCD_4_Life
09/11/2003, 7:14 PM
I just thought we could compare nominees so here's mine:

>New player of the year

1. Niall Donnelly

2. Pat McWalter

3. Mark Rooney

Donnelly wins by default, really. Nobody else has played enough...why wasn't Robbie Griffin in? I would've picked him.

>Player of the Year

1. Tony McDonnell - I don't recall a bad game he's had, actually. Brilliant leader.

2. Alan Cawley - At times he's an absolute genius at others he's a complete tube.

3. Mick O'Donnell - Along with Tony Mac he's one of the players I respect the most at the club. Always gives 100%.

>Match of the season

1. UCD 3-0 Waterford United, eircom League, 22/09/03
2. UCD 2-0 Derry City, eircom League, 07/11/03
3. UCD 2-2 Shamrock Rovers, eircom League, 04/08/03

Why wasn't the Bray game from the League Cup in there? Despite us losing I thought it was an excellent game. Certainly the most entertaining one this season.

>Goal of the season

1. Mark Leech v. Waterford United (H)
2. Robbie Martin v. Bray Wanderers (H)
3. Patrick Sullivan v. Waterford United (H)

Leech's strike was absolutely excellent, had TV3 bothered their holes putting cameras at the game I would've expected it to be in the running for goal of the season.

Schumi
10/11/2003, 11:37 AM
Originally posted by UCD_4_Life
I just thought we could compare nominees so here's mine:

>New player of the year

1. Niall Donnelly

2. Pat McWalter

3. Mark Rooney

Donnelly wins by default, really. Nobody else has played enough...why wasn't Robbie Griffin in? I would've picked him. I'd agree with that. Leech hasn't played enough to get in really. He looks like a class find though and he'll probably win this next season.

>Player of the Year

1. Tony McDonnell - I don't recall a bad game he's had, actually. Brilliant leader.

2. Alan Cawley - At times he's an absolute genius at others he's a complete tube.

3. Mick O'Donnell - Along with Tony Mac he's one of the players I respect the most at the club. Always gives 100%.
1. Mick O’Donnell
2. Pat Sullivan - would been number one (just) but for getting destroyed in Cork a couple of weeks ago.
3. Rob McAuley
This was a very hard call, it was difficult to leave McNally out as he's been excellent in defence in the second half of the season and Tony McDonnell has been brilliant as well. Cawley's inconsistancy up to the last five or six games kept him out.

>Match of the season

1. UCD 3-0 Waterford United, eircom League, 22/09/03
2. UCD 2-0 Derry City, eircom League, 07/11/03
3. UCD 2-2 Shamrock Rovers, eircom League, 04/08/03
1. Derry City 0-2 UCD, eircom League, 25/09/02
2. UCD 3-0 Waterford United, eircom League, 22/09/03
3. UCD 2-1 Bohemians, eircom League, 06/06/03

>Goal of the season

1. Mark Leech v. Waterford United (H)
2. Robbie Martin v. Bray Wanderers (H)
3. Patrick Sullivan v. Waterford United (H)

Leech's strike was absolutely excellent, had TV3 bothered their holes putting cameras at the game I would've expected it to be in the running for goal of the season.
1. Darragh Ryan v. Shamrock Rovers (H)
2. Mark Leech v. Waterford United (H)
3. Robbie Martin v. Bray Wanderers (H)
The build-up to Darragh Ryan's goal was fantastic. Cawley went past three or four players to set him up.

pineapple stu
13/11/2003, 12:45 PM
Right - I've been really busy the last few days doing up the programme for tomorrow and then forgetting to e-mail the programme, but I can finally make my mind up on these awards for myself as well...

New Player of the Year
1. Donnelly
2. Rooney
3. Leech

Griffin's not in for two reasons. One - I never thought of him. Two (and this is more a defence of why I didn't think of him!) - he's technically not a new player seeing as he's spent seven or eight seasons with us before. When we make out the nominations for these, we generally go on the proviso that the player made their debut for UCD this season. Unfortunately, seeing as how we've not got the greatest list this season, we've had to add in Donnelly and McWalter, both of whom made debuts last season.

Player of the Year
1. Rob McAuley - one of the few who's been class all season, including the Doolin era.
2. Mick O'Donnell - Been steadily effective as ever - again, a big plus in the Doolin time as well.
3. Alan McNally - Been really underrated the last while I think. After playing mid for the last few seasons, he's dropped back to centre-back (his original position for us) handily enough.

Goal of the Season
Right - I only actually saw two of these! Therefore, my votes are fairly restricted:
1. Pat Sullivan v. Waterford. Didn't see it, but have heard plenty about it! Has to win.
2. Darragh Ryan v. Rovers. Class run from Cawley, and a decent finish from Ryan as well.
3. Gavin Whelan v. Rovers. Not a bad goal for your first senior goal! Just a shame we couldn't hold out...

Match of the Season
Oh God. This was depressing doing out the nominations!
1. Derry City 0-2 UCD. Actually fairly open and exciting encounter - unlike last week, Derry didn't completely give up when 2-0 down and certainly deserved a goal. That said, we should have had four or five, and would have had if Robbie Martin had been fit.
2. UCD 2-2 Shamrock Rovers. Another good game on a lovely day, spoiled only by Doolo's last managerial mistake at Belfield (at least until tomorrow!:D ) Just gone 2-1 up in injury time, and he brings on a defender who has no time to get into the game and consequently makes the mistake which lets Rovers in for the equaliser...:mad: :mad:
3. UCD 3-0 Waterford. Yes, I didn't see it, but it marked the start of the new Pete Mahon reign with something of a bang!

Quack
30/11/2003, 7:42 PM
The story of Mark Rooney's voyage to the dizzy heights of the new player award is hilarious.....

bambi
02/12/2003, 6:44 PM
why was alan mcnally not in the top 3[atleast] for player of the year?he was a constant performer and never let us down,and he never missed a game?

pineapple stu
03/12/2003, 12:42 PM
Originally posted by bambi
why was alan mcnally not in the top 3[atleast] for player of the year?he was a constant performer and never let us down,and he never missed a game?

Don't know. Himself and Robbie Mac have been sensational since Mahon took over. He got my number 3 vote, but he's played even better since I voted too!