PDA

View Full Version : U21s 4th seed in draw for 2011

gspain
19/12/2008, 8:40 AM
Despite finishing bottom of our last group our U21s will be seeded 4th for the draw for the qualifying rounds.

http://www.uefa.com/competitions/under21/news/kind=1/newsid=787974.html

There will be 10 groups and the winners of each plus best 4 runners up will make the playoffs.

The draw will be on February 4th.

The pots are

A: Spain*, England*, Italy*, Germany*, Serbia, France, Austria, Turkey, Israel, Russia.
B: Belarus, Czech Republic*, Portugal, Sweden, Finland, Wales, Switzerland, Ukraine, Romania, Croatia.
C: Netherlands, Belgium, Scotland. Hungary*, Greece, Norway, Moldova, Armenia, Bulgaria, Northern Ireland.
D: Poland, Latvia, Slovakia, Albania, F.Y.R. Macedonia, Iceland, Slovenia, Republic of Ireland, Bosnia-Herzegovina, Montenegro.
E: Cyprus, Georgia, Lithuania, Kazakhstan, Andorra, Faroe Islands, Estonia, Malta, San Marino, Azerbaijan, Liechtenstein, Luxembourg.

bwagner
19/12/2008, 8:56 AM
except a good thrashing in nearly all our games ...Don Givens is a LEGEND ...BRAVO FAI

tiktok
19/12/2008, 9:28 AM
I assume Givens doesn't get the sack until he's taken them as far as he can, 5th seed here we come?

tetsujin1979
19/12/2008, 9:36 AM
We lost and drew (with a late equaliser) to Montenegro in the last U-21 qualifers, so how are we ranked ahead of them?
Or is it in any order?

gspain
19/12/2008, 10:32 AM
We lost and drew (with a late equaliser) to Montenegro in the last U-21 qualifers, so how are we ranked ahead of them?
Or is it in any order?

Not sure if it is in order but it probably is. However they didn't play in the previous campaign.

tetsujin1979
19/12/2008, 10:52 AM
Not sure if it is in order but it probably is. However they didn't play in the previous campaign.
oh right, they're still climbing the rankings like their senior team so?

pineapple stu
19/12/2008, 11:20 AM
Latvia, Albania, the North, Iceland, Armenia, Moldova - all ranked ahead of us. :rolleyes:

Also, how are Wales second seed?! They used to be brutal at this level.

amaccann
19/12/2008, 12:27 PM
Don Givens knows something. Some terrible, shocking secret that would possibly destroy football in this country. This is the only explanation for his being the manager of the U21s, because no other logical reason could explain why he has held this position for so long.

HammerNThongs
19/12/2008, 12:44 PM
Don Givens knows something. Some terrible, shocking secret that would possibly destroy football in this country. This is the only explanation for his being the manager of the U21s, because no other logical reason could explain why he has held this position for so long.

It's mind boggling to try and figure out what it is though. Personally, I'm going beyond football, this guy knows something that threatens the fabric of time and existence, whatever about football.

It's just infuriating. Reading that list of teams ahead of us and some of the capable players we have had at that level!

Noelys Guitar
19/12/2008, 12:55 PM
Surely at least one football journo should be asking Given's this very easy question. How? Don't mention his record. Don't mention his pseudo "in my day ****e". Don't mention his run ins with so many different types of players. Just ask him. How?

tetsujin1979
19/12/2008, 1:07 PM
Got to the play-offs against England in the last qualifiers.
Topped their group ahead of France and Romania: http://www.uefa.com/competitions/under21/standings/round=15084/group=700393.html

gspain
19/12/2008, 1:14 PM
Latvia, Albania, the North, Iceland, Armenia, Moldova - all ranked ahead of us. :rolleyes:

Wales reached the playoffs for Sweden and lost out by the odd goal to England. Northern Ireland earned 12 points in their last campaign and Molvdova gained a couple of notable wins if I recall correctly.

The surprise should be at the teams ranked below us. We should have done far far better at this level given the talent available.

gspain
19/12/2008, 3:07 PM
I see the FAI have announced 2 U21 fixtures today. Germany in Cork on Feb 10th and Spain in Waterford on March 27th.

These are very attractive fixtures but is it wise to announce a friendly for the date of the opening qualifier on the afternoon of the morning UEFA stipulated that the qualifying campaign will kickoff on the weekend of March 28/29.

amaccann
19/12/2008, 3:38 PM
Surely at least one football journo should be asking Given's this very easy question. How? Don't mention his record. Don't mention his pseudo "in my day ****e". Don't mention his run ins with so many different types of players. Just ask him. How?
Thing is, I have heard and read journos defending Givens, that he has nothing (player wise) to work with as all the good young players are immediately fast-tracked to the senior team leaving him with the dregs. All bobbins of course.

irishultra
19/12/2008, 4:08 PM
he has everything to work with, the man is a clown a pure and utter clown.

HarpoJoyce
19/12/2008, 5:33 PM
I see the FAI have announced 2 U21 fixtures today. Germany in Cork on Feb 10th and Spain in Waterford on March 27th.

These are very attractive fixtures but is it wise to announce a friendly for the date of the opening qualifier on the afternoon of the morning UEFA stipulated that the qualifying campaign will kickoff on the weekend of March 28/29.

It's an international weekend so other sides will be available to play us that weekend. No suprise to know that U21 representatives are gathered together for the draw, so it's easier to propose and then confirm International fixtures.
There is usually a stipulation that if the sides are drawn against each other than the friendly match doesn't to ahead.

gspain
19/12/2008, 5:50 PM
It's an international weekend so other sides will be available to play us that weekend. No suprise to know that U21 representatives are gathered together for the draw, so it's easier to propose and then confirm International fixtures.
There is usually a stipulation that if the sides are drawn against each other than the friendly match doesn't to ahead.

I'm more concerned regarding playing a friendly on the weekend reserved for the opening round of qualifying.

sligoman
19/12/2008, 5:54 PM
How long is Givens in charge now? Anyone have his Played/Wins/Losses record from the beginning?

HarpoJoyce
19/12/2008, 7:10 PM
I'm more concerned regarding playing a friendly on the weekend reserved for the opening round of qualifying.

Ourselves and Spain play a friendly against each other (unless we are in the same group) instead of a competitive game against other sides.

It's easier to get players released from their clubs on designated competitive weekends. (sorry, I know you know this. It's for others.)