PDA

View Full Version : Excel automatically populate fixtures

paul_oshea
17/12/2008, 9:18 AM
Hi Lads and lassies, im trying to create the spreadsheet of spreadsheets. I have a spreadsheet which currently has a list of teams in a table and a list of fixtures for the table, when i enter in a result of a fixture the table gets automatically updated with the points for and against and the actual points for that team, and it moves them up or down accordingly based on vlookups and ranking.

However this currently only works for 4 teams, and i have to manually type out the fixtures. What i was wondering was is there anyway to be able to increase the size of the table and vlookup will include all the new teams. Also is it possible to enter in a list of teams in teh table and then it automatically generates the fixtures based on all the teams in the table?! Does that make sense? If I get a response Ill upload the excel spreadsheet so everyone can see it.

noby
17/12/2008, 9:27 AM
I see no problem with your first query - there's no reason why vlookup should be limited to four.
As for the automatic fixtures - there's surely a way, Let me think about it.

paul_oshea
17/12/2008, 9:49 AM
ya its not really a limitation im worried about I more want it to automatically increase to the size of the table, does that make sense?! In excel is there anyway to reserve an area, maybe thats what i need to do?! So that the area is reserved for the table and any new rows means a new team and the vlookup knows this and expands the lookup on the rows in the table?! The fixtures would be cool Noby!

noby
17/12/2008, 12:09 PM
Not sure, but it should be quick enough to expand the vlookup parameters.

I've had a very quick look - some clunky workarounds, but if they work...

I know it's GAA but your 'played game' count seems to rely on a score in the match. You might be better off suing the isnumber or >0 criteria to allow for a no score draw, however unlikely it might be.

As I said, it works and you're not going near macros so nowt wrong with that.

For the fixtures, couldn't you just have a grid with all teams along both the x and y axis?