PDA

View Full Version : Good win

UCD_4_Life
08/11/2003, 10:41 AM
At least there's hope now although I still think we're going down.

I can't fault any of the players for effort but I did think that Daz Ryan and Pat Jennings (how many times did he spill the ball? three?) were poor, Alan Cawley was at times excellent and at others really frustrating.

The referee was an absolute joke, it was bloody farcical at times - like when he booked Alan Cawley for kicking the ball away but left the Derry player who decked him straight afterwards alone. If it wasn't for Robbie Martin holding him back he would've been sent off.

I thought we dominated the first half but took our foot off the pedal in the second half and they could've gotten at least one back as a result of PJ's 'keeping. Overall though we were definitely a far better team and deserved the victory - hopefully we can do the same against $h€l$ and Drogheda next week. :)

pineapple stu
08/11/2003, 5:58 PM
Ah, here's the Derry thread!

Jennings was a bit dodgy alright - but in fairness he's been faultless in the last few weeks. Cawley was class, Robbie Martin took his goal well and Robbie Mac showed great character to take the peno after his miss on Tuesday. Still favourites obviously, but we're four games unbeaten now and on a bit of a run which is more than can be said for Derry or Drogheda!

Referee was an absolute joke. Gave a free against Pat Sullivan for being blatantly obstructed, booked Robbie Martin for calling him a "useless Waterford w**ker" (don't see what was wrong with that!:D ) and then left his yellow card in the dressing room for the second half when Derry came in with some nasty up-and-under challenges. Also refused to let Looper Hooper get near Rooney - who had a hamstring injury - even after the fourth official let him on! Ridiculous stuff - just glad it didn't cost us a win.

UCD_4_Life
08/11/2003, 7:39 PM
Originally posted by pineapple stu
Ah, here's the Derry thread!

Jennings was a bit dodgy alright - but in fairness he's been faultless in the last few weeks. Cawley was class, Robbie Martin took his goal well and Robbie Mac showed great character to take the peno after his miss on Tuesday. Still favourites obviously, but we're four games unbeaten now and on a bit of a run which is more than can be said for Derry or Drogheda!

Referee was an absolute joke. Gave a free against Pat Sullivan for being blatantly obstructed, booked Robbie Martin for calling him a "useless Waterford w**ker" (don't see what was wrong with that!:D ) and then left his yellow card in the dressing room for the second half when Derry came in with some nasty up-and-under challenges. Also refused to let Looper Hooper get near Rooney - who had a hamstring injury - even after the fourth official let him on! Ridiculous stuff - just glad it didn't cost us a win.

I forgot about that! Mark is down on the ground, in obvious pain, and the daft git tried stop to him getting attention...shocking! If he had've cost us points in that I game I probably would've gone "Rovers" on him...or at least given him a stern telling off.

Yeah, you got the impression that Derry were trying to get some shots in near the end. I even heard one of the Derry players instruct another one to "chop" Bambi Gallen down.

John83
10/11/2003, 10:07 AM
What was the ref's name again? He was utterly ****e. I half expected him to book Rooney for being injured.

Schumi
10/11/2003, 12:19 PM
Jim O'Neill. That wasn't a particularly unusual performance from him, I think it was summed up in the first half when he blew his whistle after an inoccuous challange and I started to shout some abuse at him until I saw that he gave it to us. :D

The game was good, pretty similar to the game in the Brandywell, nice goal from Robbie Martin too. We were clearly better and it's nice to sing "going down" instead of listening to it from opposition fans!

I thought before the Waterford game that we'd need 12 or 13 points from the six games we had left at that stage. We've got 4 from the first two games so we have to get something from Tolka and/or Richmond.