PDA

View Full Version : Blu-ray

anto1208
15/12/2008, 10:23 PM
Having made the switch to blue ray recently i have to say its outstanding and now that the disks are starting to come down you can get some good deals.

Has anyone picked up any disks recently they would recomend ?

I picked up a doublepack of batman begins & the dark kinght for under 30 euro. I got Band of brothers Metal tin box set in zavvi for 40 euro.

Wall-E i reckon is a must have.

anto1208
22/12/2008, 10:39 PM
Zavvi have 2 for 30euro on blue rays now including wall e

beautifulrock
22/12/2008, 10:56 PM
play.com has a decent sale on,

Jofspring
28/07/2009, 1:26 PM
Anybody have any suggestions on some good films to buy on Blu-ray that you really get the full experience out of? I'm looking to buy a couple of Blu-rays but don't want to waste money on a couple of films that don't really show what it can do and could have just been picked up for cheap on DVD.

anto1208
28/07/2009, 4:50 PM
Yip

The batman double box set ( batman begins & dark knight ) is well worth it. Great films for the big screen.

Band of brothers box set again great viewing

Speedracer

Transformers ( i know its silly but the effects on a big screen with blue ray are brilliant and its dirt cheap now too )

Planet earth box set all shot in high def so it looks utterly amazing on blue ray.

I normally go for the big blockbuster effects films for blueray.

don ramo
28/07/2009, 4:59 PM
shawshank redemption:D

i got Ironman, excellent in HD,

Jofspring
29/07/2009, 9:06 AM
Yip

The batman double box set ( batman begins & dark knight ) is well worth it. Great films for the big screen.

Band of brothers box set again great viewing

Speedracer

Transformers ( i know its silly but the effects on a big screen with blue ray are brilliant and its dirt cheap now too )

Planet earth box set all shot in high def so it looks utterly amazing on blue ray.

I normally go for the big blockbuster effects films for blueray.

Never thought of picking up speedracer but ive seen a few places with it on their TV's they are selling so it must be impressive. Might pick that up alright.

shawshank redemption:D

i got Ironman, excellent in HD,

Shawshank is just a great movie so i think i'll pick that up too, think i saw it cheap enough.

How do the older movies that have been upgraded to Blu-ray look. Much difference??

anto1208
29/07/2009, 11:43 AM
Never thought of picking up speedracer but ive seen a few places with it on their TV's they are selling so it must be impressive. Might pick that up alright.

Shawshank is just a great movie so i think i'll pick that up too, think i saw it cheap enough.

How do the older movies that have been upgraded to Blu-ray look. Much difference??

I cant stop going on about speed racer while its a little childish (not allways a bad thing :D) as a film its just such a jump in film making and amazing on blue ray on a big screen.

If your TV is a 1080p its even better.

I have found with older movies it makes them clearer as blue ray is very close to proper film used to shoot movies, i picked up the rambo box set recently. I would have only seen them on TV/VHS so the jump was fairly big but as they are old movies the film used to make them isnt as good as whats used today.

I would say if you really love the film and its cheap go for it but i dont think it makes a big enough difference to be building up a back catalogue. Some are just upscaled DVD quality and i have even rented one blueray that was shockingly bad looked like i was watching it on a laptop with all the pixels breaking up etc.

Xtravision is a good place to start looking most have a previously viewed section between 10-15 euro. I wouldnt pay more than 15 for a blue ray now unless its one i want on release date which hasnt happened yet. HMV have a few starting from 10euro ( 3:10 to Yuma, bank job etc )