PDA

View Full Version : Barry Ryan Suspended

Dodge
07/11/2003, 5:32 PM
15 months

www.fai.ie

tiktok
07/11/2003, 11:14 PM
They've come down harder than i thought they would, that's him missing for all of next season too.

Wee bit harsh IMO, for a 'recreational' drug, his own goal vs Bohs shows it wasn't performance enhancing anyway.

sadloserkid
08/11/2003, 12:12 PM
Originally posted by tiktok
Wee bit harsh IMO

I'd agree to a point but I imagine they wanted to make an example of him to put off any other players who may be in the same boat.

UCD_4_Life
08/11/2003, 4:40 PM
I can't believe it, quite frankly.

I would've thought he'd get about nine months at the worst.

What I don't understand is how players in Italy can get off with four months having done steroids (which besides being a banned substance is CHEATING as well) yet Bazza gets fifteen having done marijuana (reportedly). It's ridiculous.

It's understandable why they're not saying which drug it was but still, it's confusing...what must he have taken to receive such a hefty ban? I find it difficult to believe he's getting done for this length of time because of cannabis.

pineapple stu
08/11/2003, 5:50 PM
The common belief (as reported in the Irish Times today) is that he took cocaine. He's a gobsheen for doing it, but 15 months seems very harsh.

There's a quote from the Shamrock Rovers chairman in the Irish Times as well today saying that he can't see how Bazza has any sort of future at Shamrock Rovers now.

UCD_4_Life
08/11/2003, 7:44 PM
Originally posted by pineapple stu
The common belief (as reported in the Irish Times today) is that he took cocaine. He's a gobsheen for doing it, but 15 months seems very harsh.

There's a quote from the Shamrock Rovers chairman in the Irish Times as well today saying that he can't see how Bazza has any sort of future at Shamrock Rovers now.

He did? Bloody tube.

I hate to say it, and see it happen since he was such a promising 'keeper, but it looks as if he mightn't have a future in football full stop. I mean, you have to wonder what team will take a gamble on him in fifteen months...he may have to start again in the First Division or even the LSL.

UCD_4_Life
08/11/2003, 7:58 PM
According to the The Star he'll be officially released on Tuesday night at the Rovers board meeting.

brendy_éire
08/11/2003, 11:33 PM
Originally posted by UCD_4_Life
According to the The Star he'll be officially released on Tuesday night at the Rovers board meeting.

He left them no choice really.
Any word on whether he'll appeal the decision or not?

UCD_4_Life
09/11/2003, 10:48 AM
Originally posted by brendy_eire
He left them no choice really.
Any word on whether he'll appeal the decision or not?

Apparently he won't.

At least he's taking it like a man and not coming up with any excuses unlike most athletes who get done for taking drugs.

John83
10/11/2003, 10:14 AM
So, 15 months eh? That should just about coincide with the time we're being promoted back into the Premier League. And if PJ turns oout not to be as good as his da afterall...

Would we take a chance on the drug-taking ex-scum judas *******?

EireBadBoy
11/11/2003, 11:54 PM
I have a vision......Ryan joining Derry, resurrecting his career and the Rovers players joining City shall see us do the treble again.....

NICE!! :D

John83
12/11/2003, 1:23 PM
Originally posted by EireBadBoy
I have a vision......Ryan joining Derry, resurrecting his career and the Rovers players joining City shall see us do the treble again.....

NICE!! :D

Is that what those white lines in your crest mean? ;)

A face
12/11/2003, 10:30 PM
Originally posted by John83
Is that what those white lines in your crest mean? ;)

:D

Shed End John
13/11/2003, 3:25 PM

Drugs cheats are drugs cheats............END OF STORY. This psuedo-moralistic differentiating between performance enhancers and so-called 'recreational' drugs holds no water. Drugs are NOT allowed, he got caught, got banned, tough s***e, should've stayed away from them in the first place.

Dodge
13/11/2003, 3:28 PM
Originally posted by Shed End John
Drugs cheats are drugs cheats............END OF STORY. This psuedo-moralistic differentiating between performance enhancers and so-called 'recreational' drugs holds no water. Drugs are NOT allowed, he got caught, got banned, tough s***e, should've stayed away from them in the first place.
How can say Drug cheats are cheats if they didn't take performance enhancers? What exactly did they cheat at?

Shed End John
13/11/2003, 3:37 PM
Originally posted by Dodge
How can say Drug cheats are cheats if they didn't take performance enhancers? What exactly did they cheat at?

How about any moral/ethical standards left in football as well as the law of the land?

Robinski
13/11/2003, 3:52 PM
I've just heard that he is appealing.

Éanna
13/11/2003, 4:17 PM
Originally posted by Shed End John
How about any moral/ethical standards left in football as well as the law of the land?
oh get off your high horse. what about all those league of ireland legends down the years who "would have gone to england but he loved the drink too much"?! There's loads of them! If a fella wants to go and get out of it in his own spare time thats his business- if it improves his performance its wrong. As any rovers fan will testify, whatever ryan was on has not made him a better keeper than he was last year- end of story.

SÓC
13/11/2003, 4:20 PM
Éanna makes a good point but....

..say a player was really nervious about an upcoming match and he took a drug to relax him, would that not enhance his preformence?

Shed End John
13/11/2003, 4:24 PM
Originally posted by Éanna
oh get off your high horse. what about all those league of ireland legends down the years who "would have gone to england but he loved the drink too much"?! There's loads of them! If a fella wants to go and get out of it in his own spare time thats his business- if it improves his performance its wrong. As any rovers fan will testify, whatever ryan was on has not made him a better keeper than he was last year- end of story.

What high horse would that be? I'm just stating it as it is. Big difference between a few pints and drugs. One's not against the law, ie drink. The fact of the matter is THERE IS NO ROOM FOR DRUGS IN SPORT. Anyone who'd even dream of thinking otherwise, be it fans or players, is an absolute idiot.

pineapple stu
13/11/2003, 5:14 PM
Can't agree at all, SEJ. Bazza got done for taking drugs - he should have gotten suspended, and would then have gotten released by Rovers anyway (has this happened yet?), which is a huge blow. But there has to be a difference between people who take recreational drugs without a thought about football and people who knowingly and maliciously take drugs to improve their performance. The first is being an idiot, the second is cheating at football. If you ban both equally, what penalty does the second person incur for his extra wrong-doing - i.e. the cheating?

Dodge
14/11/2003, 8:51 AM
Originally posted by Conor74
If a penalty taker takes a recreational drug to calm himself, is that performance enhancing?

The simple fact is Ryan took drugs and got caught and must now pay the penalty. It may be very harsh, and of course there should be mitigation if it is not your classic case of systematic intake of steroids. I thought 15 months extremely harsh, but the current state of play is complete intolerance and Ryan knows the rules.
Kinda along my thinking. He knew the consequences so can't really argue. However, it is still VERY harsh. A line (groan :rolleyes: ) has to be drawn between performance enhancers and recreational drugs.

Macy
14/11/2003, 8:58 AM
Cocaine is a performance enhancing drug - he obviously didn't take it as such, but used the right way it is......

Think the ban is harsh, but regardless Rovers would sack him anyway, just to clear some of their wage bill....

pineapple stu
14/11/2003, 12:40 PM
Originally posted by Conor74
[B];)

:rolleyes:

Actually didn't mean that!

Shame actually - would have fitted in well into our "Unnamed eircom League Playstation Review" bit in the fanzine...

UCD_4_Life
15/11/2003, 7:12 PM

Shame actually - would have fitted in well into our "Unnamed eircom League Playstation Review" bit in the fanzine...

The last (or should I say first?) one of them was great, by the way.