PDA

View Full Version : Squad announced V Canada

Slash/ED
07/11/2003, 3:06 PM
Given (Newcastle United), Murphy (West Bromwich Albion), Colgan (Stockport County), O’Shea (Manchester United), Carr (Tottenham Hotspur), Cunningham (Birmingham City), Breen (Sunderland), O’Brien (Newcastle United), Harte (Leeds United), Finnan (Liverpool), Reid (Blackburn Rovers), Healy (Sunderland), Holland (Charlton Athletic), Miller (Celtic), Delap (Southampton), Kavanagh (Cardiff City), McPhail (Nottingham Forest), Kilbane (Everton), Reid (Nottingham Forest), Duff (Chelsea), Doherty (Tottenham Hotspur), Keane (Tottenham Hotspur), Morrison (Birmingham City).

A few things, what in the name of god is Harte doing there, even Kilbane for that matter? I hope to god we haven't unearthed another McCarthy. I'm very very disappointed there's no John Thompson or James O'Connor and that McPhails in ahead of the latter, that's a disgrace imo. It seems like Kerrs only called up the two youngsters who the media have been clammering over and leaving out two who deserve it just as much.

However, delighted to see no Kinsella or Dunne and hopefully Reid and Miller get their chance to impress and the other youngsters come in later to stake their claim. Also great to see Delap back and that he's resisted the temptation to recall Kennedy and even Paul Butler.

John83
07/11/2003, 3:42 PM
Originally posted by Slash/ED
A few things, what in the name of god is Harte doing there, even Kilbane for that matter? I hope to god we haven't unearthed another McCarthy. I'm very very disappointed there's no John Thompson or James O'Connor and that McPhails in ahead of the latter, that's a disgrace imo. It seems like Kerrs only called up the two youngsters who the media have been clammering over and leaving out two who deserve it just as much.

However, delighted to see no Kinsella or Dunne and hopefully Reid and Miller get their chance to impress and the other youngsters come in later to stake their claim. Also great to see Delap back and that he's resisted the temptation to recall Kennedy and even Paul Butler.

Given (Newcastle United)
Murphy (West Bromwich Albion)
Colgan (Stockport County),

O’Shea (Manchester United)
Carr (Tottenham Hotspur)
Cunningham (Birmingham City)
Breen (Sunderland)
O’Brien (Newcastle United)
Harte (Leeds United)
Finnan (Liverpool)

Healy (Sunderland)
Holland (Charlton Athletic)
Miller (Celtic)
Delap (Southampton)
Kavanagh (Cardiff City)
McPhail (Nottingham Forest)

S Reid (Blackburn Rovers)
Kilbane (Everton)
A Reid (Nottingham Forest)
Duff (Chelsea)

Doherty (Tottenham Hotspur)
Keane (Tottenham Hotspur)
Morrison (Birmingham City)

Where's the experimentation?

No new defenders at all, and only seven of them in total?

Enough centre-mids that I can see Miller only getting a short run out.

Only three strikers? Is he planning to use Duff and Andy Reid a half each in the hole?

Yhw, read Dog yhw?

Miller, Kavanagh and Andy Reid are positive moves, but not enough. There's no balance to that squad.

carnstein
08/11/2003, 12:03 PM
Originally posted by John83

Miller, Kavanagh and Andy Reid are positive moves, but not enough. There's no balance to that squad.
I can't really see the point in including Kavanagh, he's not an improvement on what we already have and he is pushing 30. Its a shame that Thornton, Partrige or Barrett didn't get a chance.

Seems like Kerr has very few ideas of his own.

Greenbod
08/11/2003, 1:31 PM
Originally posted by carnstein

Seems like Kerr has very few ideas of his own.

Eh, the squad he announced is his own idea. Including Thornton, Partridge and Barrett would be your idea.

colster
08/11/2003, 1:41 PM
What are you all on about?
I think thats a good squad with players who deserve to be there.

How can Thompson get into the squad over one of Breen, O'Brien, O'Shea, Cunningham or Dunne.
The lads only played just broken into the Forrest first team.

Thornton and Partridge are injured. O'Connor isn't as good as Healy, Holland, Delap, Kavanagh or Miller.

Barrett hasn't exactly set the 1st division alight with Brighton or Coventry.

You know I'm constantly amazed by fans who always think that a player who hasn't played is better than the ones who are.

Slash/ED
08/11/2003, 5:40 PM
Originally posted by colster
What are you all on about?
I think thats a good squad with players who deserve to be there.

How can Thompson get into the squad over one of Breen, O'Brien, O'Shea, Cunningham or Dunne.
The lads only played just broken into the Forrest first team.

Thornton and Partridge are injured. O'Connor isn't as good as Healy, Holland, Delap, Kavanagh or Miller.

Barrett hasn't exactly set the 1st division alight with Brighton or Coventry.

You know I'm constantly amazed by fans who always think that a player who hasn't played is better than the ones who are.

Thompson shouldn't be in the squad ahead of those players, he should be in ahead of Harte. As a left footer who has played left back he's a far better player then Harte. I don't think I've ever actually disliked an Irish player as much as I dislike Harte. Why in the name of god does he keep getting in?

And O'Connor isn't as good as McPhail, he's about 500 times better, the lad is a regular in a side top of the first division and will be a premiership player next year, and I bet when he makes it up there you'll be making excuses for why he's not in the side "ah sure, we can't just go throwing people in there in the middle of the campaign". NOW is the time to cap him, he'll be a big player for us in the future.

I'm not massive disappointed with the squad, but Harte and McPhail should be told in no uncertain terms they have no international future. They're not good enough. Why do we cling onto sub par players for so long, it's as if we're afraid of offending them by dropping them. Kilbane shouldn't be in there when Reid and Duff are in either, they're both better, how many left wingers do we need? If either are out call him up by all means, I'm not as anti-Kilbane as some here, but when we've better players in there we don't need to keep calling him up.

Thornton and Partridge I agree with, neither are worth a place in the squad. Barrett possibley but only because of the small number of strikers, I definitely wouldn't have capped him anyway, but those decisions up there have disappointed me.

Condex
09/11/2003, 11:58 AM
Whats the point in naming the same old failures, Kerr is far too conservative.

We have a few games between now and next September and he'd better use them to try out players. Not much point playing badly then and complaining that he didn't have the opportunity to try new players.

tiktok
10/11/2003, 10:53 AM
i agree that it's a consrevative selection and there are a few players left out who might have gotten a shot, But from his panel Kerr could still start with

_______________Given______________
_Carr__Cunningham__O'Shea__Finnan__
_S.Reid______Miller___Healy___Duff____
___________Keane___A.Reid_________

and it'd be a young, relatively inexperienced team, but one with a lot of potential. Kerr might have flushed out the panel with a few more untried players, but the last thing we need is eleven subs at half time where we can only get a quick look at a load of players, better to introduce them slowly, and play them alongside players they will eventually partner ands see who clicks and who doesn't.

pete
10/11/2003, 11:13 AM
Whose this O'Connor guy?

I'm sure Kerr has watched the other possible squad members & made his decision on their selection based on that.

Seems like Connolly has been shunted at last or is he just injured?

Anyone else think Kavanagh seems to be a bit of a moaner like Connolly? Maybe he just misreported but seems like he got an inflated sense of his own qualities...

Never ceases to amaze me the blinkered opinions of Partridge in particular. I think he did ok at Coventry on loan but rotting away in the Liverpool reserves isn't going to get anyone an International squad place.

:rolleyes: