PDA

View Full Version : Unemployment on the rise...

irishultra
13/12/2008, 1:14 AM
how are people going to pay for tickets on a regular basis next season when 17% of people will be unemployed?

I will be able to get to most games coz my mom will give me the money but I'm in a lucky position.

dcfcsteve
13/12/2008, 1:29 AM
We're in unchartered waters here.

Ireland's had bad unemployment/economics before - but never after a boom.

We got all carried away with the good times as we'd never seen them before - now we'll have to get used to the monster hangover it produces for the first time.

I suspect next year will be even tougher than usual for Irish football.

OneRedArmy
13/12/2008, 2:00 AM
The economy will impact the cross-channel brigade. It's hard to see how it will affect the EL, as attendences were pitiful last season anyway, regardless of the FAI's spin.

Dodge
13/12/2008, 2:04 AM
Sure no one worked in the 50s and we had 50,000 at every game?

Apparently

mypost
13/12/2008, 2:37 AM
Tv hadn't been invented yet. Well not in this country anyway.

Attendances will be hit next year from the downturn. Only the Ultras will be travelling twice to Mervue, Wexford, Cork, and Derry on Friday nights next season.

shelbourne1904
13/12/2008, 3:02 AM
Every country in the world has an industry which employs people.

It gives jobs to people at player ,manager,admin level
It brings in visitors who spend money.

Interested??

Guess What?

Briliant idea.Why dont we try it???

Instead of playing local tribal games that noone else can play

Its called FOOTBALL

Maroon 7
13/12/2008, 3:54 AM
how are people going to pay for tickets on a regular basis next season when 17% of people will be unemployed?

I will be able to get to most games coz my mom will give me the money but I'm in a lucky position.

Am I missing something or do they really expect unemployment to reach 17%?

That's 1980's levels and I don't think even the worst economic pessemist expects it to get that bad. Granted it will get worse before it gets better again.

CuanaD
13/12/2008, 8:11 AM

17% next season?

WUM

gufct
13/12/2008, 9:21 AM
im working since 1980 and have never seen things as bad they are now on the jobs front. There will be carnage after christmas in the retail and services sector never mind manafacturing. The government havent a clue what to do and the man who landed us all in it is still being mentioned as a canidate for President.

The cross channel brigade are there for the taking lads if the FAI and clubs could sort out the mess that is the el now.

bennocelt
13/12/2008, 9:30 AM
We're in unchartered waters here.

Ireland's had bad unemployment/economics before - but never after a boom.

We got all carried away with the good times as we'd never seen them before - now we'll have to get used to the monster hangover it produces for the first time.

I suspect next year will be even tougher than usual for Irish football.

not all of us - the celtic tiger didnt "help" as many as you would expect

anyway i would be a bit concerned about the high price of travelling around the country - - The bus service is a joke, and the trains can charge what they like

CuanaD
13/12/2008, 9:36 AM
im working since 1980 and have never seen things as bad they are now on the jobs front.
Presumably you wern't looking for a job in the mid-80s then, when things were "at their worst" - couldn't get a job in McDonalds for £1.50/hour!
Half of my friends emigrated, to get work, those of us who stayed scraped around for work & kept our heads down till things picked up properly in the 90s. Still, it wasn't so bad really - most difficult time to get jobs was probably 84-87 - economy was picking up for a few years (from then) before the media noticed/admitted.

It's just nothing like as bad as that now.

gufct
13/12/2008, 10:17 AM
its worse Cuana because there is nowhere for all our kids to emigrate to like there was in the 80's .This is the first time since i started working that im facing so much uncertainty over my own job and im not a civil sevant.

brianw82
13/12/2008, 10:33 AM
there is nowhere for all our kids to emigrate to like there was in the 80's

China?

Perhaps people will have to start thinking about non-English speaking countries.

KUFCMan
13/12/2008, 10:38 AM
Off topic lads,but did Mark Farren not get top goalscorer in the league with 16 goals.It says on the Eircom league a 3 way d/h with Mooney and Quigley all on 15

CuanaD
13/12/2008, 11:14 AM
China?

Perhaps people will have to start thinking about non-English speaking countries.

I have a cousin over there - about 6 years now - he loves it there.

gufct: you may well have a good point about lack of emigration opportunities now - I honestly don't know how bad things will get globally - but then, none of us do - so I just hope that you are wrong. I'm certainly planning for a slightly better 2009 (2008 was bad), looking at buying a small premises & expanding a little - might be a stupid thing to do, but with property prices so much lower at the moment, I want to take the opportunity if I can.

CuanaD
13/12/2008, 11:18 AM
Off topic lads,but did Mark Farren not get top goalscorer in the league with 16 goals.It says on the Eircom league a 3 way d/h with Mooney and Quigley all on 15
I thought he scored in the last game to make it 16 goals alright - but the loi website still shows the 3-way tie : http://www.eircomloi.ie/the-divisions/premier-division/tables/ :confused:

The Lilywhites
13/12/2008, 11:28 AM
Farren got 16.

KUFCMan
13/12/2008, 11:38 AM
I went thru the Derry website which hasnt got the last 4 games updated and he has 11 goals +1 v pats,1 v rovers,0 v galway and 2 v cobh gives him 15.
I backed Mooney and was told he was a loser but it looks like Im a dead heat winner now which is better than nowt!

Did he lose a goal or get 1 taken away from him?

brianw82
13/12/2008, 11:49 AM
Did he lose a goal or get 1 taken away from him?

I think one of Farren's was re-classified as an OG, might have been against Drogheda.

BohsPartisan
13/12/2008, 12:38 PM
Clubs just have to stop charging over the odds for what they are offering. Simple as that. If they want players to live with the new economic reality then they have to start living in it themselves and reduce prices.

If not we'll all be heading to Newry for our football! ;)

Dalymountrower
13/12/2008, 12:41 PM
im working since 1980 and have never seen things as bad they are now on the jobs front. There will be carnage after christmas in the retail and services sector never mind manafacturing. The government havent a clue what to do and the man who landed us all in it is still being mentioned as a canidate for President.

The cross channel brigade are there for the taking lads if the FAI and clubs could sort out the mess that is the el now.

When I was working in the 80`s Interest Rates were at 14% and unemployment at 17%. No comparison with this recession. The crowds in the `80`s were crap by the way other that the derbies and the Derry novelty factor. I remember a Shels game in Tolka with 60 people at it.

holidaysong
13/12/2008, 12:47 PM
If not we'll all be heading to Newry for our football! ;)

You'd probably be very welcome. At 362, they have the lowest average attendance of all 12 clubs in the IFA Premiership so far this season..

dcfcsteve
13/12/2008, 2:38 PM
Every country in the world has an industry which employs people.

It gives jobs to people at player ,manager,admin level
It brings in visitors who spend money.

Interested??

Guess What?

Briliant idea.Why dont we try it???

Instead of playing local tribal games that noone else can play

Its called FOOTBALL

It's not a zero-sum game.

There's enough room in Ireland for both football and GAA to do well.

They both already are doing well. It just so happens that it's Englihs and Scottish football that benefits.

irishultra
13/12/2008, 2:39 PM
sorry perhaps i heard 'unemployment will rise to 10%'

eamo1
13/12/2008, 5:10 PM
Its bad but not that bad,economic projections see a slow but sure pick up in early 2010(CNN,The Economist),thats around 13 months away.Everyone just has to ride it out till then.
As for my season ticket,even though it has gone down by 50e to 199e i still cant afford one right now but hope to soon enough.Everyone other year for past few years i bought my ticket in the first few days after it was released,cant this year but boo hoo,ill survive.
Its about priorities now guys for the next year.I know all of us here love our clubs etc and while for me my season ticket comes just behind,food,rent etc for others its wayyy down the list and so there will be a definite drop in amounts sold.

Boh_So_Good
13/12/2008, 11:24 PM
Sure no one worked in the 50s and we had 50,000 at every game?

Apparently

Indeed. In his groundbreaking book on the LOI, Fegal McArsewipe a top Irish sports journalist said in his book on the subject "Don't Blame Sky Sports for Having More Flashing Lights" he talks about the Bray Unknowns V Cork Alberts Presidents Cup final which drew almost 125,000 people for the replay at Tolka. Can you only imagine the crowds they drew during the Famine.

Boh_So_Good
13/12/2008, 11:26 PM
Its bad but not that bad,economic projections see a slow but sure pick up in early 2010(CNN,The Economist)

*starts singing* "Dream on Dreamer, till life get's in the way..."

mypost
14/12/2008, 12:59 AM
Its bad but not that bad,economic projections see a slow but sure pick up in early 2010(CNN,The Economist),thats around 13 months away.Everyone just has to ride it out till then.

2010 imo, is wildly optimistic. Recessions generally last much longer than 3 years. Our economy is taking such a hit now, that in 2010 it won't be in a position to recover.

Playing teams 4 times a season in any league, is a joke in the current economic climate. Crowds will collapse like a snowman in a heatwave.*

*Obviously there can't be both simultaneously, but you get the picture.

BohsPartisan
14/12/2008, 1:01 AM
Its bad but not that bad,economic projections see a slow but sure pick up in early 2010(CNN,The Economist),

Yeah and the two Gerry's told us everything was A OK!

Red&White Rover
14/12/2008, 1:54 AM
As was said, country is gonna go hectic with Job losses in 2009.

However I do think this will work in the EL's favour, as instead of going cross channel, people will come back to their local clubs...

cheech
14/12/2008, 2:47 AM
It's not a zero-sum game.

There's enough room in Ireland for both football and GAA to do well.

They both already are doing well. It just so happens that it's Englihs and Scottish football that benefits.

Zero-sum? LOL. Pull your head out of your hole son.

It costs me a lot of money to support my team in the LOI. It costs my mates the price of a few pints every fortnight to watch Celtic or Man U on the TV.

brianw82
14/12/2008, 8:14 AM
It costs me a lot of money to support my team in the LOI. It costs my mates the price of a few pints every fortnight to watch Celtic or Man U on the TV.

4 pints = 20 euro approx
entry to LoI game + portion of chips = 20 euro approx

Not really much difference in terms of money, I would say.

Travelling to away games obviously changes things, though.

bennocelt
14/12/2008, 10:50 AM

oh dear:eek:

eamo1
14/12/2008, 11:39 AM
Whats wrong with The Economist?Its definitly better IMO then Time or Newsweek.
I usually make it to a few away games during a season but last year it was only 1 and this coming year it will be only 1/2 aswell.

BohsPartisan
14/12/2008, 12:15 PM
I usually make it to a few away games during a season but last year it was only 1 and this coming year it will be only 1/2 aswell.

How can you go to half an away game?

dcfcsteve
14/12/2008, 1:40 PM
Zero-sum? LOL. Pull your head out of your hole son.

You clearly don't understand the concept of a 'zero sum game' dude... :o

The zero sum bit means that there is room for both GAA and soccer in Ireland. What's good for one does not haver to be bad for the other. Unfortunately, that currently means overseas soccer. But it would be wrong to suggest it's us v the GAA, as the current scenario shows that both sports can attract large-scale support.

It's us v foreign football really, and all about getting the younger generation before they beomes your barstooling 'mates'. That's where the real zero sum game is.

bennocelt
15/12/2008, 11:36 AM
Whats wrong with The Economist?Its definitly better IMO then Time or Newsweek.

well they lost a lot of cred when they said Ireland was the best place to live in the world - i mean, come on!!!!!:eek:

osarusan
15/12/2008, 11:41 AM
It's us v foreign football really, and all about getting the younger generation before they beomes your barstooling 'mates'. That's where the real zero sum game is.

This is true, although I think plenty of eL fans will also sit on a barstool wathcing foreign football. The two aren't exclusive of each other.

If everybody who sat in the pub watching the premiership also went to an eL game, we'd be laughing.

jebus
15/12/2008, 12:06 PM
God the post season is so depressing :)

Basically BohsPartisan hit the nail on the head when it comes to clubs dealing with the recession. If they want people to come they will have to lower ticket prices, simple as that, some ground (Fingal and Longford if I remember correctly) charged us 15 euro in last season, that's just nonsense in this league, even 12 (which we charge) is a jokeshop. If people wouldn't pay it in the good times, they certainly won't in the bad. The reintroduction of proper student/OAP/unemployed concessions are a must as well, not the usual 'knock 2 euro off' deal nthat most LoI clubs have

As for the proper recession, well I'm hoping that the world will realise that the John Locke model of property gains is outdated after this crash, and that the climate change crowd get us to look at the way we have consumed this planet in the last 100 years (I'm not just taking resources either, it more has to do with the pursuit of personal property)

pineapple stu
15/12/2008, 12:18 PM
If it's that much off topic, start a new topic, FFS.

Rovers fan
15/12/2008, 12:36 PM

Well paddypower paid out the full amount on farren as topscorer.

Rovers1
15/12/2008, 12:49 PM
Well paddypower paid out the full amount on farren as topscorer.

and to think....he was so close to being a Rovers player :(

garyderry
18/12/2008, 2:19 PM
and to think....he was so close to being a Rovers player :(

yeah Fenlon thought he was **** :p
thanks be that Kenny came back

Candystripe
18/12/2008, 8:37 PM
I heard Farren admitted one of his goals was actually an OG so he is back to 15 goals in the league.

He is top if you count all competitions with 23 I think!