PDA

View Full Version : Athlone may "drop out of League of Ireland football for the foreseeable future"

Pages : [1] 2 3

Philly
11/12/2008, 11:43 PM
According to this post on their website:
http://www.athlonetownfc.ie/?p=447#more-447

So, put simply, if the fans don't come up with a plan and the money Monday, that's that. What a pity this situation has come up after the club worked so hard for such a fine ground. Just goes to show; the "build it and they will come" analogy is a load of rubbish.

Lads, there might not be so many clubs about next season at this stage. This is turning into a joke.

Lim till i die
12/12/2008, 12:08 AM
Covered in the financial whatyoumaycallits thread.

And yes it is a shame.

As for there being a tiny amount of clubs, I feel a fudge coming on

Réiteoir
12/12/2008, 12:26 AM
The spectre of a one Division League looms ever larger...

dcfcsteve
12/12/2008, 1:00 AM
Would be a very bad day for the league if it lost a provincial club like Athlone.

Their appeal and 'ultimatim' does all seem a bit last minute though. At what point during the amassing of a €300k deficit did they start to think they might be in a bit of bother ? :confused:

I hope the club are over-egging the jeopardy aspect to create a sense of urgency around their plight, but this isn't good news even if they are.

Lim till i die
12/12/2008, 1:24 AM
The spectre of a one Division League looms ever larger...

Class.

Have you been to Jackman Park?? :eek: :D

I hope the club are over-egging the jeopardy aspect to create a sense of urgency around their plight

One of my first thoughts aswell.

Here's hoping eh......

Pauro 76
12/12/2008, 4:22 AM
Yes they're our local rivals but I'd hate to see them drop out. They've had some great moments down the years too.

brianw82
12/12/2008, 6:22 AM
If we were panicking at 100K of debt, you do have to wonder what a club from a similarly-sized town were thinking when amassing 300K of debt.

holidaysong
12/12/2008, 6:48 AM
Whatever happens I can't see there being a one division league. A lot of first division grounds just aren't up to catering for large amounts of fans from well supported premier division teams.. At worst, I'm sure we'll get enough teams for two divisions of 10..

Sam_Heggy
12/12/2008, 7:58 AM
Athlone are not the only club in bother, at least 3 other first div sides are stuggling and calling for the season to be cut.

At Tuesdays meeting, 3 first division clubs called for each team to play each other twice leaving only 22 game season.
When it was suggested they also wanted out of the League cup and said they would not participate in a League sheild competition.

If its come to a stage where they feel they can only pay out for 22 games a season and no cup competitions then its painting a bleak picture.

dapman1
12/12/2008, 8:12 AM
Who are these three teams?

passinginterest
12/12/2008, 8:56 AM
Who are these three teams?

I'd say Wexford Youths for certain. Wallace has been making noises about this for ages. Obviously missing the point that the extra home games should be bringing in extra income and that semi-pro and pro teams will have contracts for full year rather than just for season. I suppose Wallace would see the first division as going fully amateur, but, that then makes the step up to, even a semi-pro, premier division extremely difficult.

brianw82
12/12/2008, 8:58 AM
I'd say Wexford Youths for certain. Wallace has been making noises about this for ages.

I was under the impression that he said this because of repetition, ie. playing the likes of Kildare County 4 times a season is a bit much. I wasn't aware that he mentioned costs as the cause of this.

passinginterest
12/12/2008, 9:00 AM
I was under the impression that he said this because of repetition, ie. playing the likes of Kildare County 4 times a season is a bit much. I wasn't aware that he mentioned costs as the cause of this.

Player burn out and costs were what was driving him. He fails to acknowledge that he contributes greatly to this player burn out by ignoring and alienating pretty much all the older players in the squad, leaving him playing the same lads in under 18, 20 and first division games. It's the most frustrating thing about Wallace to be honest.

Battery Rover
12/12/2008, 9:26 AM
Athlone are not the only club in bother, at least 3 other first div sides are stuggling and calling for the season to be cut.

At Tuesdays meeting, 3 first division clubs called for each team to play each other twice leaving only 22 game season.
When it was suggested they also wanted out of the League cup and said they would not participate in a League sheild competition.

If its come to a stage where they feel they can only pay out for 22 games a season and no cup competitions then its painting a bleak picture.

Were you at the meeting?

Sam_Heggy
12/12/2008, 10:10 AM
Were you at the meeting?

Nope but we did have 2 representitives from the club there.

Battery Rover
12/12/2008, 10:28 AM
Nope but we did have 2 representitives from the club there.

Was there myself and saw your two representatives. Thought i would put a face to your name

Mr A
12/12/2008, 10:46 AM
Thought i would put a face to your name

Bad idea when you're talking about Sam I'm afraid.

:cool:

pineapple stu
12/12/2008, 11:00 AM
I really really don't understand that attitude.

Decide to pay players, say, E5k a season, and then divide that over however many weeks are in the season.

22 game seasons, among other things, means the season's hardly on before it's over, and it's easier for it - and the entire club - to get overlooked.

Dodge
12/12/2008, 11:17 AM
I really really don't understand that attitude.

Decide to pay players, say, E5k a season, and then divide that over however many weeks are in the season.

22 game seasons, among other things, means the season's hardly on before it's over, and it's easier for it - and the entire club - to get overlooked.

Well its more to do with other, non wage, expenses. 22 games means only 11 away games. The implication is that gates would barely cover expenses for home games (security etc)

holidaysong
12/12/2008, 11:36 AM
Was there myself..

Who were the three teams calling for a shorter season then?

Battery Rover
12/12/2008, 11:43 AM
Who were the three teams calling for a shorter season then?

What goes on tour stays on tour. It would be very unprofessional for anyone at that meeting to release details of discussions

holidaysong
12/12/2008, 11:46 AM
What goes on tour stays on tour. It would be very unprofessional for anyone at that meeting to release details of discussions

Fair enough. I thought that'd be your response but it was worth a try. :)

pineapple stu
12/12/2008, 11:49 AM
Well its more to do with other, non wage, expenses. 22 games means only 11 away games. The implication is that gates would barely cover expenses for home games (security etc)
I suppose, yeah. Seems to defeat the purpose of having a football club though.

On the original post though - what are Athlone's plans if they do decide to drop out of the league for a while? (Taking aside obviously that the situation is probably hyped up a bit to get public response). Can they enter the LSL? Is there any money in that? Can they service their debt outside of the LoI?

Kingdom
12/12/2008, 11:55 AM
I know this is off topic and might seem like wumming but please hear me out....

If clubs wanted a shorter league season (ie 22 games) would it be possible to expand the Setanta Cup into a Setanta League (i.e. encompass all LoI IL teams into groups of 4, winners + runnersup progressing). This would remove the monotony slightly of the league? Just an idea..

Dodge
12/12/2008, 11:59 AM
I know this is off topic and might seem like wumming but please hear me out....

If clubs wanted a shorter league season (ie 22 games) would it be possible to expand the Setanta Cup into a Setanta League (i.e. encompass all LoI IL teams into groups of 4, winners + runnersup progressing). This would remove the monotony slightly of the league? Just an idea..

In short, no.

Réiteoir
12/12/2008, 12:15 PM
It'd increase travelling costs as well

Kingdom
12/12/2008, 12:16 PM
In short, no.

Ok, would you be prepared to pm me the reasons? I don't fancy an ass whupping in public. :)

pineapple stu
12/12/2008, 12:17 PM
Lots of reasons, in fairness.

The top clubs don't want such a reduction, for starters. Four teams groups for an entire season would get very monotonous. The gaps in quality would be large.

OneRedArmy
12/12/2008, 12:18 PM
Lots of reasons, in fairness.

The top clubs don't want such a reduction, for starters. Four teams groups for an entire season would get very monotonous. The gaps in quality would be large.Who are these top clubs you speak of?! :D

pineapple stu
12/12/2008, 12:22 PM
It's hard to tell these days alright, but I would have thought it was reasonably obvious. :confused:

oldyouth
12/12/2008, 12:32 PM
Player burn out and costs were what was driving him. He fails to acknowledge that he contributes greatly to this player burn out by ignoring and alienating pretty much all the older players in the squad, leaving him playing the same lads in under 18, 20 and first division games. It's the most frustrating thing about Wallace to be honest.
Fully agree with that. I'd hate to see what team he would attempt to field against a top team in a combined league. I'd say his ego might get the better of him and play the kids

citybone
12/12/2008, 1:07 PM
have a 12 team split like they have in the spl and irish league it reduces games from 44 games too 32 the bottom 6 can be ametuer for the second half of the season and top half remain semi pro. thought it would be easier to to have that in the premier division rather than 1st division

pineapple stu
12/12/2008, 1:08 PM
There'll be 33 games in the First Division next season. You've just reduced that by one. ;)

Though I like the idea of teams fighting to come bottom half!

Longfordian
12/12/2008, 1:14 PM
Paddy Power would have fun with that one. Huge amounts of money being lumped on both teams to lose.

Sam_Heggy
12/12/2008, 1:51 PM
Bad idea when you're talking about Sam I'm afraid.

:cool:

Hey you aint no picture of perfection yourself ya b*ll*x :D

Boh_So_Good
12/12/2008, 3:24 PM
According to this post on their website:
http://www.athlonetownfc.ie/?p=447#more-447

Just goes to show; the "build it and they will come" analogy is a load of rubbish.

Spot On. Ignorant mutterings from people who do not attend LOI games and never will no matter what.

blackholesun
12/12/2008, 4:02 PM
It sickens me to see a club like Athlone who have good potential for support if in the premier, struggling year after year in the graveyard. I think a 16 or 18 team is the way to go, if we really wanna promote soccer across the country.

Id love to see the FAI "wildcard" Athlone into the Premier next year. There should be a wildcard slot every year out of the first division based on the clubs off the field strucutes / community work. The year in the premier would then be on the basis of the wages etc being scrutinised by the FAI to make sure they are not living beyond their means. The year or two if they survived in the Premier would be a shot in the arm of clubs like Athlone.

bhs

Youths4Ever
12/12/2008, 4:39 PM
I'd say Wexford Youths for certain. Wallace has been making noises about this for ages. Obviously missing the point that the extra home games should be bringing in extra income and that semi-pro and pro teams will have contracts for full year rather than just for season. I suppose Wallace would see the first division as going fully amateur, but, that then makes the step up to, even a semi-pro, premier division extremely difficult.

Wallace was making noises mainly about mid week games as players are amateur and have to get time off work. Making money from the extra home game depends completely on who the extra home game is against and if then have traveling support, can the team playing attract more home support etc there are expensives with home games as well.

IMO playing teams 4 times a year is a bit much gets very repetitive.

I would never see us opt out of cups to be honest Wallace always does well in cup competitions as shown last year.

agree with pushing some of the younger players in to soon

passerrby
12/12/2008, 5:23 PM
Id love to see the FAI "wildcard" Athlone into the Premier next year. There should be a wildcard slot every year out of the first division based on the clubs off the field strucutes / community work. The year in the premier would then be on the basis of the wages etc being scrutinised by the FAI to make sure they are not living beyond their means. The year or two if they survived in the Premier would be a shot in the arm of clubs like Athlone.

bhs

ya and they would be infulenced by the professilism of the clubs around them

Student Mullet
12/12/2008, 6:03 PM
There'll be 33 games in the First Division next season.You hope! My bet is 36.

gufct
12/12/2008, 6:53 PM
where are you getting 18 viable teams
:p

The Lilywhites
12/12/2008, 7:01 PM

You'd need 19 :p

dcfcsteve
12/12/2008, 7:07 PM

The last thing clubs like Athlone would need would be a year in the Premier division. They're nowhere up to the standard, so would either get humped on a weekly basis (= serious reduction in interest in the club) or they'd get carried away with 'the dream' and keeping up with the big boys and put themselves even further into financial ruin.

It's no coincidence that the better supported First Division clubs are the ones usually pushing for promotion (Dundalk, Shels, Waterford). Part of off-the-field structures is having the fan-base to sustain football at a higher level. Athlone simply do not have that at the moment, so shouldn't be allowed within a mile of the Premier.

Cici900
12/12/2008, 9:03 PM
Gutted for Athlone. Only in my teens but had the pleasure of being to both St Mels and Lissywoollen. Great club. Good History but most of all Eircom league die hard fans like myself would hate to see Athlone die for the fans. C'mon people of Athlone! Save your club!

Best of luck Athlone! Rooting for ye!

Red&White Rover
12/12/2008, 9:55 PM
Know a few of the players from Athlone. From what I've heard Seem to very much doubt, from a few weeks back, that there'll be a team in LOI next season.

Shame really. Too big an area to not have a team.

AnnaghRed
12/12/2008, 10:37 PM
Gonna have to cut your cloth accordingly and quit trying to aspire to a place in the champions league....bankrupting half your clubs has hardly leapt you up the UEFA co-efficiency table this past few seasons.

Move to a 16 team top division, with a meaningful "a" league for p&r before its too late...clubs with potentially decent support like Athlone need the visits of the likes of Derry to help keep their head above water.

Student Mullet
13/12/2008, 12:24 AM

10 teams, 4 rounds.

All legal and financial disputed decided in multi-ball over-time.

Dodge
13/12/2008, 1:43 AM
Gonna have to cut your cloth accordingly and quit trying to aspire to a place in the champions league....bankrupting half your clubs has hardly leapt you up the UEFA co-efficiency table this past few seasons

IN all fairness there's no way clubs like Cobh and Athlone can be accused of overspending in the dream of making Champions League

1895ringsend
13/12/2008, 9:25 AM
Its sad to see athlone in such a bad way especially with their history! They prob have the best stand in the league and i know there was plans in place to further develope the ground not so long ago. You'd have to fear the worst for them unfortunatley but best of luck to them and i hope they survive.

Dassa
13/12/2008, 9:29 AM
What sort of crowds are Athlone town getting? The new stand looks fantastic.

Is there potential for Athlone to be a big club or is it a GAA area?