PDA

View Full Version : Assisted suicide to be shown on UK TV

strangeirish
10/12/2008, 10:17 PM
Not sure what the whole purpose(showing it on TV) of this is, but I don't think I would want to watch it.

Story (http://www.blnz.com/news/2008/12/10/Assisted_suicide_film_stokes_right_1092.html)

eamo1
11/12/2008, 12:20 AM
T.V is almost there in its race to the bottom.My friend committed suicide last Saturday Morning,im still in utter shock from it and then i see them sort of glamourising this stuff as a tv show.Some kid could be watching aswell and get ideas,the media consumerist world is going down the sewers you know.:mad:

Lim till i die
11/12/2008, 12:57 AM
Some kid could be watching aswell and get ideas

If a kid watching a TV program about suicide "gets ideas" I think the fault might lie a bit closer to home than with the big nasty TV executives.

Real ale Madrid
11/12/2008, 5:57 AM
T.V is almost there in its race to the bottom.My friend committed suicide last Saturday Morning,im still in utter shock from it and then i see them sort of glamourising this stuff as a tv show.Some kid could be watching aswell and get ideas,the media consumerist world is going down the sewers you know.:mad:

Well i'm very sorry about your friend but that show did absolutely nothing to glamorise anything. Assisted suicide needs a debate, those who are advocates of it are usually those in direct contact with it, and make a good argument generally. I don't agree with it, but people who are not directly affected by those completely incompacitated usually don't agree. Its a completely different issue to suicide imo.

RonnieB
12/12/2008, 11:46 PM
People who are terminally ill with no chance of recovery at least deserve the dignity to die in peace rather than a long drawn out torturous affair. I know there are a lot of muddy patches to go through but for a lot of people it would be a blessing. If I were dying of cancer with not one shred of medical hope left I would sooner be allowed to pass away with some dignity than to wallow in a bed fading away.

And before people go on about people commiting suicide for x, y, or z beleive me I have seen plenty enough in my years to arrive at my point of view.