PDA

View Full Version : Hibs/Celtic/United

liam88
04/11/2003, 9:00 PM
Hello-I don't mean to offend anyone by this question but could somebody enlighten me on Cork Hibernians, Cork Celtic and Cork United-did any merge, are any still around, what happend etc.?

Are Cork City and Ramblers now the only two Eircom league teams in the Cork region? Do any others exist in minor leagues?

Thanx for the enlightnemant....don't ask-I just want some things cleared up Thanx for the help:D ,
Liam

Ozymandias
05/11/2003, 9:33 AM
they are all separate clubs..Cork United were the lst cork team in LOI before city formed and played at the the cross...hibs and celtic were in the league together and played at both the lodge and the cross

all gone now

Used2BHibs Fan
05/11/2003, 10:58 AM
Don't forget Cork Alberts - They played their home matches @ the Lodge and were in fact Albert Rovers. They did not last very long and I believe that this had big problems for Albert Rovers who continued in the MSL but lost money in this venture.

Macy
05/11/2003, 11:04 AM
Used2bHibs, living in Bray - your name's not tom is it? :eek:

Used2BHibs Fan
05/11/2003, 11:09 AM
No but I can put you in contact with him as he is at every match that I go to.

I do go to see the odd Bray match when City are not playing as I prefer to watch live soccer rather than Sky..........

Macy
05/11/2003, 11:41 AM
LOL, does anyone want to be in contact with Tom the Gom?

SÓC
05/11/2003, 11:46 AM
Dont forget plain old Cork FC. Cork Ath. Cork City (the first time around) and also Fordsons and Evergreen who became Cork United and Celtic (I think, not certain of this tho')

The Donie Forde
05/11/2003, 12:34 PM
Check out the old 'Irish Football Handbooks' - still available in the Club Shop - for the info on ALL past LOI teams, not just Cork ones. I hear its a very good publication...

Donie

Schumi
05/11/2003, 2:36 PM
Originally posted by Used2BHibs Fan
he is at every match that I go to. You're not the only one!

Dodge
05/11/2003, 2:57 PM
Originally posted by The Donie Forde
Check out the old 'Irish Football Handbooks' - still available in the Club Shop - for the info on ALL past LOI teams, not just Cork ones. I hear its a very good publication...

Donie
Excellent and much missed (by geeks like me anyway)

Any chance of a new one Donie?

The Donie Forde
05/11/2003, 11:15 PM
Originally posted by Dodge
Excellent and much missed (by geeks like me anyway)

Any chance of a new one Donie?

Thanks, Dodge. Unfortunately, the old IFH just faded away quietly. The lesson I learned from four editions is that there simply isn't a market in this country for what was largely a League of Ireland content publication. Sure, we had National team stuff - underage as well as senior - but our priority was the LoI. But LoI fans (and clubs!), by and large, could have cared less about it... but c'est la vie, nobody died over it.

We had hoped for a backer to come on board - a sponsor (ya know: The Dodge Irish Football Handbook type of thing), but it never materialised...we couldn't afford to keep running it ourselves. Interestingly, in the end, we had nearly more interest from abroad than at home. And we didn't have the Net to publicise it either...

Who knows, maybe someone else will take up the mantle?

Donie, fellow geek

Dodge
06/11/2003, 8:51 AM
Shame about that. I always thought the league/FAI should go on board with ye and make thier handbook (do they still do that) truely outstanding.

A mix of the quality content from your book and the presentation (photos etc) from their bit.

Now that there is a proper league marketing/PR office, it might be worth looking into. Thats if you've nothing better to be doing anyway....;)