PDA

View Full Version : Pre season rumours

Pages : [1] 2 3

pineapple stu
09/12/2008, 4:02 PM
Going to be a lot of them this year, I think.

To get the ball rolling - Brian King to Hamilton (currently on a week's trial); everyone else to Sporting Fingal or Shels.

Poor Student
09/12/2008, 5:22 PM
Hmmmm. Would loathe to see Kinger leave. I think he'd be perfect to help us mount a First Division challenge. We'd be due a fee if he went to Hamilton though, wouldn't we?

Are Shels going to run at a large loss again this year?

John83
09/12/2008, 6:30 PM
Did they run at one this year? They should have been competitive on a realistic budget. Are they definitely out of Tolka next year? That'll put a dent in any budget, unless any remaining capital from the lease sale is going to be squandered on current expenditure.

Poor Student
09/12/2008, 6:44 PM
Did they run at one this year? They should have been competitive on a realistic budget. Are they definitely out of Tolka next year? That'll put a dent in any budget, unless any remaining capital from the lease sale is going to be squandered on current expenditure.

Figures I heard were €70k loss for this year. Any Shels fans, forgive me if I'm wide of the mark, I can't remember. Shamrock Rovers' lost rent will also dent their income.

pineapple stu
10/12/2008, 10:47 AM
That sounds about right, from what was posted on here previously.

Think they've one more year in Tolka, though I've heard that said as often as I've heard that Drogheda have one more year to get their ground together for licencing.

pineapple stu
12/12/2008, 12:39 PM
Glen's gone to Vietnam apparently. Not sure if it's a trial or a contract basis.

Dundalk are talking to Quigley. They could have a decent team next year.

John83
12/12/2008, 6:38 PM
Glen's gone to Vietnam apparently. Not sure if it's a trial...
After how they treated Gary Glitter? Brave man.

pineapple stu
17/12/2008, 12:32 PM
Dundalk let almost their entire squad go. Robbie Martin, Aidan Lynch, Derek Doyle, Paul Crowley and Dessie Baker available, as is Robbie Farrell, their top scorer last year I think, who scored four in the last game against Kildare.

We've probably no money available to sign anyone with a job, but there's a few there worth looking at.

pineapple stu
23/12/2008, 5:07 PM
First confirmed departure - Darren Meenan to Shels. Derek Doyle has signed for them too.

Poor Student
23/12/2008, 8:44 PM
Pity, he was a handy player. Departures of his type are inevitable with budget cuts though.

pineapple stu
06/01/2009, 11:54 AM
Training resumes on Monday. At the moment, only Gregg, Finn and the scholarship players have re-signed. I'll get updates then on what the squad is over the next couple of weeks.

Kinger's back from Hamilton. Don't think he's getting a contract.

Poor Student
06/01/2009, 12:21 PM
Training resumes on Monday. At the moment, only Gregg, Finn and the scholarship players have re-signed. I'll get updates then on what the squad is over the next couple of weeks.

Kinger's back from Hamilton. Don't think he's getting a contract.

Obviously we'd like to see a lot more signed up than Gregg and Finn, but they are two quality experienced players for first division level. Is Evan MacMillan still scholarship? The likes of himself, his brother, Mullins and the right winger for the A Championship side (name escapes me) would blend in well with a few more experienced heads. I assume there's a good chance of Alan Mahon staying too.

pineapple stu
06/01/2009, 12:37 PM
Keith Ward is the winger you're thinking of.

There'll be more signing in the next week. Basically, we have x amount of money, which is very low, but if the players can't find another club and want to take x, they'll be welcome. Squad will probably finalise in the last week or two of pre-season.

DmanDmythDledge
06/01/2009, 12:37 PM
Obviously we'd like to see a lot more signed up than Gregg and Finn, but they are two quality experienced players for first division level. Is Evan MacMillan still scholarship?
No he isn't. I'd imagine he would re-sign though. Scholarship players are:

Soccer: Evan Connolly (Mayo), John Dineen (Kerry), Gavin Falconer (Waterford), Gareth Matthews (Dublin), Peter McMahon (Monaghan) and Graham Rusk (Dublin).
http://www.ucd.ie/sport/news171108sportsscholars0809.html

Poor Student
06/01/2009, 1:23 PM

Soccer: Evan Connolly (Mayo), John Dineen (Kerry), Gavin Falconer (Waterford), Gareth Matthews (Dublin), Peter McMahon (Monaghan) and Graham Rusk (Dublin).

They're just the new ones. Wouldn't other lads be 2nd or 3rd year scholarships?

DmanDmythDledge
06/01/2009, 2:38 PM
They're just the new ones. Wouldn't other lads be 2nd or 3rd year scholarships?
No, that's everyone. For example look at last year's (http://www.ucd.ie/sport/news_scholarsceremony07.html) list (scroll to very bottom).

colmanthesaint
08/01/2009, 4:06 PM
so Pete Mahon is definitely staying then I guess?

Any news on Bermo?

pineapple stu
08/01/2009, 4:08 PM
so Pete Mahon is definitely staying then I guess?
Don't think he'd be averse to a move, but until we hear otherwise, he's staying. He's been offered a new contract anyway.

Bermo was talking to Fingal, I think.

Poor Student
08/01/2009, 4:15 PM
I think Pete confirmed in the media that he'd be staying.

pineapple stu
08/01/2009, 4:17 PM
Yay! :)

Martinho II
08/01/2009, 6:29 PM

maybe im wrong but evan connolly that played for us last season is from mayo?? is this the same person??

Tallanted
08/01/2009, 6:38 PM
ye thats him he left us for them before the season finished

pineapple stu
08/01/2009, 6:49 PM
Any good?

Tallanted
08/01/2009, 6:53 PM
didnt see enough of him to really judge, came on a couple of times and did ok

HarpoJoyce
08/01/2009, 6:54 PM
Any good?

yeah. He takes his chances.

DmanDmythDledge
08/01/2009, 7:20 PM
I think Pete confirmed in the media that he'd be staying.
http://www.setanta.com/ie/Articles/Football/2008/12/10/eLOI-Mahon-remains-on-as-UCD-boss/gnid-30950/

Presumably he won't apply for the Pats job at this stage but I'd imagine he would be well done the preferred list of candidates anyway.

pineapple stu
09/01/2009, 10:30 AM
He was at Pat's before, I think. Very briefly. Was he manager when they drew 0-0 with Celtic?

Darren Quigley to Fingal on loan, apparently! They'll walk the division next year. In fact, I think they'll go boom towards the end and still have enough points to have won it.

Dodge
09/01/2009, 10:44 AM
Mahon was assistant to Dolan for those games. He was expected to take over after them, but had a falling out with Dolan and walked/got kicked out. Never actually managed us

Poor Student
10/01/2009, 9:32 AM
Darren Quigley to Fingal on loan, apparently! They'll walk the division next year. In fact, I think they'll go boom towards the end and still have enough points to have won it.

Let's hope Buckley is as good at managing a talented squad and massive budget as Johnny McDonnell.;)

Dodge
10/01/2009, 2:01 PM
Well last time he tried that he won the league...

DRDoc
10/01/2009, 4:34 PM
any word, or rumour even, on where Fitzgerald and Bolger will be next season?

pineapple stu
12/01/2009, 10:28 AM
Nope. FItz was talking about going back to Bohs. Obviously he wouldn't get in their team last year, but this year, you never know!

Will Bolger not be with us still?

McFaul is gone to Fingal per RTÉ. Training back this evening.

Dodge
12/01/2009, 2:53 PM
http://www.setanta.com/ie/Articles/Football/2008/12/10/eLOI-Mahon-remains-on-as-UCD-boss/gnid-30950/

Presumably he won't apply for the Pats job at this stage but I'd imagine he would be well done the preferred list of candidates anyway.

Apparently he has applied, and will probably get the job...

pineapple stu
12/01/2009, 2:56 PM
Hmmm...

Do we get to keep Martin Russell?

Dodge
12/01/2009, 3:04 PM
Dunno, rumour very fresh off the grapevine

HarpoJoyce
12/01/2009, 3:06 PM
Dunno, rumour very fresh off the grapevine

A Clue? from Mick Wallace?. Thank you for that.

Danny
12/01/2009, 3:31 PM
rumour now is he's gone from ucd but not interested in pats
ah, chinese whispers

soccerc
12/01/2009, 3:35 PM
rumour now is he's gone from ucd but not interested in pats
ah, chinese whispers

That's not a rumour Danny, that's the reality as of 4pm today :p

John83
12/01/2009, 4:13 PM
********. :(

pineapple stu
12/01/2009, 4:16 PM
Martin Russell comes in, we move on. We have a structure in place to deal with it. Kind of like the Boot Room at Anfield, in a pompous, compare-us-to-the-Premiership-cos-it's-cool kind of way.

soccerc
12/01/2009, 4:25 PM
;)

UCD soccer club and Pete Mahon announced today that they have parted company by mutual agreement.

Club Secretary Dick Shakespere said, "Pete has made an enormous contribution to the development and stability of this club over the last five years or so. We were unable to agree with Pete's plans for this season and regrettably we agreed to part company. We thank him for his contribution and we are very sorry that he will no longer be with us. We also respect Pete's decision and will continue to have an excellent relationship with him."

Pete Mahon said, "I am disappointed to leave UCD. It is a club with great foundations and I am happy to have played my role in the development of young players at the club. I wish them every success for the future."

Martin Russell has been appointed as caretaker manager for the immediate term.
There will be no further comment.

John83
12/01/2009, 4:25 PM
Is that confirmed or speculation?

EDIT: Soccerc answers that one.

Danny
12/01/2009, 4:31 PM
http://www.eircomloi.ie/news-centre/news-1/2008/december/news-4/news/news/news-1/news/news/index.xml

Town Legend
18/01/2009, 7:44 PM
Just wondering how Adrian Murphy performed for you's a couple of years back, ye signed him from Athlone. He played with Longford the previous year and banged in 25 goals for the u-21's. Mathews never gave him a look in only 2 games 1 goal with the seniors. Appparently he was on trial at the weekend. Think he packed it in after a year with ye, wasted talent in a lot of Town supporters eyes.

Schumi
19/01/2009, 9:49 AM
Just wondering how Adrian Murphy performed for you's a couple of years back, ye signed him from Athlone. He played with Longford the previous year and banged in 25 goals for the u-21's. Mathews never gave him a look in only 2 games 1 goal with the seniors. Appparently he was on trial at the weekend. Think he packed it in after a year with ye, wasted talent in a lot of Town supporters eyes.He never got much of a look in with us either as far as I remember.

pineapple stu
19/01/2009, 12:21 PM
Played nine games or so, didn't score and was shipped out to Kildare on loan. Could possibly do a job in the First.

Martinho II
19/01/2009, 7:41 PM
Played nine games or so, didn't score and was shipped out to Kildare on loan. Could possibly do a job in the First.

didnt know that adrian played a few first team games for ye.. wonder did he make any first team appearances at kildare co?? at present he is playin soccer for olympic (not 100% sure what team) in the combined counties football league in longford..

Colie
19/01/2009, 8:47 PM
Lads, speaking of pre season rumours, any idea how much this years season ticket'll be? What was it last time we were in Div 1?

pineapple stu
20/01/2009, 10:02 AM
wonder did he make any first team appearances at kildare co??
He did, yeah. Scored a couple too, as I recall.

Colie - no idea on season tickets. Was it E150 last year?

Angus
20/01/2009, 10:34 AM
He did, yeah. Scored a couple too, as I recall.

Colie - no idea on season tickets. Was it E150 last year?
It was either 160 or 180 - cannot remember