View Full Version : City 0 Longford 0

niamh
04/11/2003, 7:35 PM
JOF has just been put on for Colin T.
0-0 yet though.

thecorner
04/11/2003, 8:51 PM
2 PONTS DROPPED MORE THAN A POINT GAINED

could have put a bit of daylight between ourselves and pats who only drew with derry

at least flynny got a bit of time under his belt and hopfully a starter against rovers friday night

Pablo
04/11/2003, 9:14 PM
we need to beat rovers now i think. we don't want to have to go to shels needing a win .

bad game bad weather bad crowd. enough said:rolleyes:

yiddo
04/11/2003, 9:35 PM
P*ss poor performance tonight. Looking forward to see what Dolan aka Comical Ali will have to say in tomorrow's Echo :mad:

patsh
04/11/2003, 10:47 PM
Utter sh*te...:mad:
Can anyone explain this to me:
Colin T off
Conor off
5 mins to go K. Murray off.......... :confused:
How does Dolan justify those changes?

I know it was good for Flynnie to get a run, but surely Murray should have been the first to go, followed by Kearney and Doyler.
We can't buy a goal but we were lucky that the other results went our way.
I can't really face yet another home draw on Friday......:(

BTW, have City players decided that set pieces from dead balls (free kicks, corners etc) are a waste of their time and it's better to just give the ball back to the opposition?

The only joy I got from tonight was finally shutting up that moaning b0ll0x who comes to the X purely to annoy me and shout obscenities at G O'C..:rolleyes:

thecorner
04/11/2003, 11:30 PM
wednesday 05/11/03
evening echo sport

CITY HELD TO DRAW
--------------------------------

"im proud of my players(1), we should great strength in carachter against a longford side full of confidence after their cup final victory
we have a big game on friday against rovers and we need to see a bigger crowd out here

im disappointed not to take all 3 points but we werent beaten
im proud of my players(2)"dolan

"a stalemate in the brandywell means that if city beat rovers on friday night they will be gauranteed european football next season"spillage

"im proud of my players(3) as it was not easy to play with the weather"dolan

joe
05/11/2003, 1:05 AM
Originally posted by patsh
Can anyone explain this to me:
Colin T off

for what it's worth, suffering from flu afaik

patsh
05/11/2003, 8:39 AM
Originally posted by joe
for what it's worth, suffering from flu afaik
If he was suffering from Sars, had one leg and was wearing a blindfold, he was playing better than K. Murray !;)

Dodge
05/11/2003, 9:42 AM
Originally posted by thecorner

"a stalemate in the brandywell means that if city beat rovers on friday night they will be gauranteed european football next season"spillage

Thats not true... if you win on Friday you'll be 8 points ahead of us but we have 7 games left...

ccfc till i die
05/11/2003, 10:03 AM
"spillage" is noel spllane who writes in the echo heer in Cork. He is full of **** and is constantly making stuff up and giving retardded opinions.

Everything he says can be disregarded.

dalo
05/11/2003, 11:19 AM
wasn't george brill though. what a player - he mightn't score, he mighn't be able to take free kicks, he might dive at every oppurtunity, actually in about 70 % of the games he might do very little that actual CENTRE FORWARD is supposed to do but hey let's moronically applaud when he passed the ball corectly. guys what is it that makes a lot ye of he see something that isn't there a lot of the time. seven goals? come on....... admit the inconsistency is awfully infuriating

jesus last night was awful stuff - let's see we have dropped points at home to waterford, derry, longford, shels (bad luck has nothing to do with it btw) and ucd and all pat can do is talk awful c**p on the programme and the media about the ref, the fai, the dublin conspiracy. couldn't he just drop kevin murray and ban behan form coming any where near turners cross?

now comes the rovers game. if we don't finsih third it will be a team and mangerial **** up of bayerleverkausen-esque proportions

thecorner
05/11/2003, 11:47 AM
Originally posted by Dodge
Thats not true... if you win on Friday you'll be 8 points ahead of us but we have 7 games left...

only taking the **** outta spillage. u wouldnt know him

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: y am i even explaining

SÓC
05/11/2003, 11:49 AM
Yea Dalo like George is total crap. It's not like he's carried the team untill now this season is it.

:rolleyes:

Dodge
05/11/2003, 11:50 AM
only taking the **** outta spillage. u wouldnt know him

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: y am i even explaining
I wasn't having a go at you, I was having a go at Spillane (I don't know him well enough to call him spillage)

wws
05/11/2003, 11:52 AM
seems like something rotten in the camp?
hopefully you can pull through this bad patch and get back to playing the great football we all
know you can play
best of luck

SÓC
05/11/2003, 11:56 AM
Naw all our players who are subed dont shout abuse at our Manager on the day of our biggest game of the year. Our team wouldnt ever just roll over and play dead for a cup final.

Our Manager doesnt have to take potshots at our former manager to keep the fans on side.

Our Manager doesnt blame everytime we lose on last years manager.

The only rotten thing I can smell is wafting from South Dublin City.

wws
05/11/2003, 12:02 PM
Originally posted by SÓCcfc
Naw all our players who are subed dont shout abuse at our Manager on the day of our biggest game of the year. Our team wouldnt ever just roll over and play dead for a cup final.

Our Manager doesnt have to take potshots at our former manager to keep the fans on side.

Our Manager doesnt blame everytime we lose on last years manager.

The only rotten thing I can smell is wafting from South Dublin City.

ooooh, catty!

relax, we actually played quite well last night away in derry and on the way back radio 1 were saying yee had a bad one and that the support wasnt best pleased - just making a legitimate point.

as for the managers excuses thing well come on dolan DOES have the monopoly on crap excuses for crap performances

Gary
05/11/2003, 12:35 PM
What really irks me is even after we have played truly awful football in a truly awful game where we created nothing is that the players & co have the gall to come down to the shed for praise.

Last night wasnt the end of the world. yes, we were shít, but last season we would have los that game.

What also really pees me off is Coughlan. The guy is a walking disaster, and i hate when ppl turn around and say "oh sure he is a great header of the ball". Fúck off, so are all centre halves. Benno wasnt afraid to get his head in the way. But the added bonus with Bennet was that he was actually good. Good passing, good tackling, good tactical awareness etc.

K Murray. Sorry. Not the part at all.

If we dont win friday, its all over for another season.

thecorner
05/11/2003, 2:37 PM
i actually missed last nite coz of work

sounds pretty bad reading some of the comments

finiding if hard to belive it wasd as abd as city vs u.c.d. 2 weeks

was it really that bad

Ozymandias
05/11/2003, 3:28 PM
I actually think it was worse than UCD...we were completely inept with no vision or ideas

Set pieces are something of a hindrance to this team...we don't seem to think we need to practice them.....bit like the all blacks in 7's rugby refusing all kicks...just thru that comparison in because of the world cup....

James
05/11/2003, 3:38 PM
worst display i've seen from city (from memory anyway) this season
totally lacked any penetration
and AGAIN kevin murray looked totally lost in midfield
although doyler and kearney (for once) werent up to much either

razor
05/11/2003, 3:39 PM
Don't think it was as bad as the UCD game but nearly as bad.

Had conditions been better it could well have been.

Against the Students we played poor against a poor team and deserved to lose.
Last Night we were playing a better side but bad and all as we were , we didn't really deserve to lose it.

Gary
05/11/2003, 3:43 PM
Originally posted by razor
we didn't really deserve to lose it.

Exactly, so will everyone please stop moaning. our season is still alive. Okay, Ideally we would have picked up 4 points instead of 2 from the last 2 games, but there is still the MASIIVE game on friday.

The conditions last night didnt make for it to be anyway good for a football match, so lets be happy we didnt lose it.

Colm
05/11/2003, 3:50 PM
Originally posted by Gary
What really irks me is even after we have played truly awful football in a truly awful game where we created nothing is that the players & co have the gall to come down to the shed for praise.

I think they are applauding the fans and thanking them for their support rather than looking for praise.

On the game itself, both teams played bad football in bad weather. Longford came looking for their point and got it, crap teams like Longford and UCD seem to be doing that too much these days. At least when the like of Bohs come down they attack us and that enables us to play some football.

Nobody had a great game, thought George was the only one who looked as if he wanted to win. Greg did ok at right back and it was great to see Flynny back. As for Kevin Murray, he's not up to it and never will be.

The crowd was a disgrace, our lowest for a long long time.

Anyway, bring on the Homeless on friday.
Rebel Army!

James
05/11/2003, 3:53 PM
Originally posted by Colm
The crowd was a disgrace, our lowest for a long long time. !

and yet at 1500 odd it was a damn site better then most shels attendences and lots of other clubs in the prem div would love to have that kinda gate!!

REBEL ARMY

Gary
05/11/2003, 4:00 PM

On the game itself, both teams played bad football in bad weather. Longford came looking for their point and got it, crap teams like Longford and UCD seem to be doing that too much these days. At least when the like of Bohs come down they attack us and that enables us to play some football.

In fairness Colm, Longford arent a crap team, and were probabaly the more dangerous and adventurous team last night. They created, we, again, created nothing. Even when we played Bohs the other night, in what was an open enough game, we created nada, ditto pretty much every game for the last few weeks, even the Rovers "away" game. We created little until they had a man sent walking.

Basically the point is, is that we have no midfield, and one striker, who is crocked at the mo. Not to mention Derek. We need a new striker, we need a midfield. we havwe no creativity aside from George, who is being marked out of most games these days (2 men on him at all times last night).

Colm
05/11/2003, 4:20 PM
In fairness Colm, Longford arent a crap team, and were probabaly the more dangerous and adventurous team last night. They created, we, again, created nothing.

I agree with you that they had more chances than us, to be honest I don't think we even had one decent chance. However, none of that changes the fact that they are a crap team. I've seen them 5 times this season (2 home, 2 away and against Pats in the final), the 4 times we played them they were useless. In fairness, they did play some nice football in the cup final but I think that just shows how bad Pats are more than anything else.
I'm sorry but they are a diabolical footballing side ala Drogs or UCD, they're not quite as bad as Pats!

Gary
05/11/2003, 4:26 PM

I'm sorry but they are a diabolical footballing side ala Drogs or UCD, they're not quite as bad as Pats!

They certain aint diabolical, and lets be honest, we aint exactly a great footballing side ourselves now are we????

Fúck this, i'm going home!

Éanna
05/11/2003, 4:30 PM
Originally posted by wws
as for the managers excuses thing well come on dolan DOES have the monopoly on crap excuses for crap performances
Not a monopoly, more of a hand-me-down from Liam Murphy :)

Colm
05/11/2003, 4:30 PM
They certain aint diabolical, and lets be honest, we aint exactly a great footballing side ourselves now are we????

Forget the cup final, you saw us play them 4 times this season. Each time they were sh!t. It's nothing personal against Longford, I'm just stating a fact.
Just because your a closet Longford fan doesnt' mean that they play good football!;) :) :D

Éanna
05/11/2003, 4:35 PM
What also really pees me off is Coughlan. The guy is a walking disaster, and i hate when ppl turn around and say "oh sure he is a great header of the ball". Fúck off, so are all centre halves. Benno wasnt afraid to get his head in the way. But the added bonus with Bennet was that he was actually good. Good passing, good tackling, good tactical awareness etc.

K Murray. Sorry. Not the part at all.

Agree 100%. Coughlan has been a disaster. All his signing has done is add an ego to the squad and weaken the team. Himself and Woods have to go. Bennett has been completely ****ed over by Dolan. He's leaving him on the bench and playing Coughlan and K Murray instead, I'd be straight out the door- its a crime against football to have 2 passengers like that playing ahead of one of our hardest-working young talents.

Despite the depression induced by last night (I'm beginning to smile again ;) )there is a positive side on things. We are in the driving seat for the european place, our run in contains a lot of winable games, our squad is getting stronger, our club is getting bigger and we've lost only 2 out of our last 12 games- both to the team that will probably win the league. SMILE PEOPLE :) :)

Colm
05/11/2003, 4:38 PM
Originally posted by Éanna
Agree 100%. Coughlan has been a disaster. All his signing has done is add an ego to the squad and weaken the team. Himself and Woods have to go.

I agree about Coughlan but I think you're being very harsh on Woods.

Éanna
05/11/2003, 4:54 PM
woods just isn't consistent enough. IMO he's suffering from the Ollie Cahill syndrome- "If I turn it on for a few minutes every game and give the crowd one or two classy runs to cheer, they'll ignore the other 88 minutes"

thecorner
05/11/2003, 6:13 PM
wednesday 05/11/03
evening echo sport

CITY HELD TO DRAW
--------------------------------

"im proud of my players(1), we should great strength in carachter against a longford side full of confidence after their cup final victory
we have a big game on friday against rovers and we need to see a bigger crowd out here

im disappointed not to take all 3 points but we werent beaten
im proud of my players(2)"dolan

"im proud of my players(3) as it was not easy to play with the weather"dolan

LOOKS LIKE I WAS SPOT ON WITH THE PROUD OF MY PLAYERS CRAP

dolan is gonna have to come out and call a spade a spade

when they play bad say it, we wont think any less of him

patsh
05/11/2003, 9:04 PM
Originally posted by Éanna
woods just isn't consistent enough. IMO he's suffering from the Ollie Cahill syndrome- "If I turn it on for a few minutes every game and give the crowd one or two classy runs to cheer, they'll ignore the other 88 minutes"
You are being very harsh on Billy.
His play at left back, rather than the runs down the wing he makes, has been excellent.
How many goal line clearances from him this season?
Good tackles, blocks and clearances?
There has been a lot.
On top of that he has scored a few as well.
Himself and Hoggie are near enough to the best wing back pairing in the country.
If Coughlan could actually run and pass the ball like Billy, we would have won a good few more games.
The biggest problem from our defenders is the fact that Derek just continuously gives the ball back to the oppostion. No distribution, no passing ability, runs like a carthorse and the speed of a tortoise.
Be thankful for Billy !

Enda M
05/11/2003, 9:26 PM
crap teams like Longford [/B][/QUOTE]

wat a ******. how can you call the fai cup champions crap.you guys think your class.last nite we played crap but at ;least we had a meanful; few shots on goal.wat did yee have onkly a few half chances.

SÓC
06/11/2003, 9:27 AM
LOOKS LIKE I WAS SPOT ON WITH THE PROUD OF MY PLAYERS CRAP

dolan is gonna have to come out and call a spade a spade

when they play bad say it, we wont think any less of him

But his players will.

A manager should never ever give out about players in the media. He should give them a right bólloxing in the dressing room but in public he should back them. I bet Dolan calls a spade a spade and much more in the dressing room.

Ozymandias
06/11/2003, 9:39 AM
he should at least come out and say that he is disappointed with the result and so are the players...that they know that hey will have to play better to make europe etc...and that they will work harder to do it....

you can't be proud of every crap performance

Wenger and ferguson often do this without criticising

fenlon and kenny do it

thecorner
06/11/2003, 10:10 AM
Originally posted by Ozymandias
he should at least come out and say that he is disappointed with the result and so are the players...that they know that hey will have to play better to make europe etc...and that they will work harder to do it....

you can't be proud of every crap performance

Wenger and ferguson often do this without criticising

fenlon and kenny do it

thank you Ozymandias

SÓCcfc, it goes on all over the world. u cant say u never heard a manager say his team badly

Éanna
06/11/2003, 10:27 AM
Originally posted by SÓCcfc
But his players will.

A manager should never ever give out about players in the media. He should give them a right bólloxing in the dressing room but in public he should back them. I bet Dolan calls a spade a spade and much more in the dressing room.
thats spot on. He gets on my nerves at times, but there's not much point in us going on about it. He never criticises his players and I can't see that changing any time soon

NorthoftheLee
06/11/2003, 12:09 PM
it was a very dissapointing performance on Tuesday......

the lads looked wrecked.......i blame the home shirts..they must weigh a ton when playing in the rain.......;)

I thought billy and derek were poor at the back
Kev Murray and Conor didnt do much in midfield...
Liam didnt have a good game either...kept slipping a lot..
Johnny looked no where near fit and i personnally would not have put him on that early........he could have thrown someone else on at that time.........

thought greg came out of it with credit tho...thought he did well in the full back position..