PDA

View Full Version : bbc 1 ni, any good for sport?

yur man
04/11/2003, 4:34 PM
ive just got it on ntl digital over here in sasana and ive been lookin out for irish sport on it (cos i cant afford a satellite dish :) )

nothin so far but can anyone tell me what kind of stuff they do put on from time to time that is n.ireland specific (derry city, gaelic games, irish league) it seems like they dont do much of their own stuff

any info wud help, tanks

tiktok
04/11/2003, 5:07 PM
bbc1 NI does pretty poor coverage of the irish league, they do show all the goals in their sports roundup on saturday afternoon about 4.50-5.10, with roundups later in the evening. apart from cup finals i've never seen a live game on it. they show the Northern ireland internationals (obviously). as far as i know they show no LOI, not even Derry City goals, could be wring, but i've not seen any.

they show a fair bit of GAA though, they'd have a pretty decent sunday coverage showing a game involving a northern team live every weekend, and a highlights show when the championship (also the name of the show) comes back around. Hurling gets little coverage though, as the northern counties would be stronger in football.

yur man
04/11/2003, 8:06 PM
tanks for that, it has saved me wastin a lot o time searchin for it

crc
07/11/2003, 9:11 AM
can you get bbc ni in england? 'cos if you can't then wave bye bye to seeing anything from ireland (bar the odd rugby game).

however, if you can get bbc ni, they also show the weekends goals in the sports bit of newsline on monday evening. they even show Derry City from time to time.

Regarding the saturday coverage of the il - I don't think its much worse that what tv3 do eith the el, except of course that that its on at a civilised hour, when it has the potential to catch other sportsfans who are watching grandstand.

pineapple stu
08/11/2003, 7:07 PM
I remember they had decent highlights of Cork City v. Derry City in the Cup semi-final on their Saturday show. To be fair to them, it appears to be better than TV3. Plus page 390 of Ceefax carries a lot of local news as well.