PDA

View Full Version : Mervue United to join League

Pages : [1] 2

Paddyfield
05/12/2008, 10:05 PM
Mervue United have decided to join to the LOI first division. They beat Kildare County in a play-off last month and the club have now accepted an offer to join the League, subject to licence.

See local nespaper:
http://www.galwaynews.ie/5839-mervue-utd-take-plunge

Denis The Red
05/12/2008, 11:49 PM
Welcome to senior football Mervue. I hope you'll have a memorable and successful time (not at our expense). And hopefully you'll all come in big numbers to Jackman Park next year.
Sorry to see Kildare go, maybe you'll bounce back.

Neish
06/12/2008, 12:52 PM
Welcome Mervue, may see some of you a Finn Park next season

gufc4life
06/12/2008, 12:53 PM
Welcome to senior football Mervue. I hope you'll have a memorable and successful time (not at our expense). And hopefully you'll all come in big numbers to Jackman Park next year.
Sorry to see Kildare go, maybe you'll bounce back.

they wont be travelling in numbers imo

Shelsred
06/12/2008, 12:57 PM
Any fanbase for Mervue?

eamo1
06/12/2008, 1:09 PM
I really cant see Mervue having any more then 300/400 at games.I know thats not the worst for the first division though.Alot will go to the first few games.Where i work theres a few Mervue heads who have this deep hatred of Galway Utd and wouldnt cross a road to see us but the majority wish the other club well and i might go along to 1/2 of their games myself during the season.
Also,ill be extremely impressed ifthey get Fahy's field ready for a first division game by July nevermind by March.

Shelsred
06/12/2008, 1:13 PM
I wish Mervue all the best in the First Division next year and am really looking forward to a trip there.

Any word on players???? Like are they keeping their squad from the A-League or what

GuisaSaigon
06/12/2008, 3:12 PM
It's ridiculous that the FAI have allowed this to happen. It's hard enough to keep one LOI club going in the city :mad:
Can't see Fahy's field being up to scratch, it would need a lot of work before it would be suitable for the 1st division.

brianw82
06/12/2008, 3:35 PM
It's ridiculous that the FAI have allowed this to happen. It's hard enough to keep one LOI club going in the city :mad:
Can't see Fahy's field being up to scratch, it would need a lot of work before it would be suitable for the 1st division.

Mervue are there on sporting merit.

They will hardly bring less to the league than Kildare County (full of Dubliners) did.

oriel
06/12/2008, 4:08 PM
Its a brave move, last time this was tried with 2 teams in the same county outside Dublin, Cork + Louth (all established football clubs) it ended in disaster, NewcastleWest (aka newcastle utd) co limerick were founder memebers of the 1984 first div - only lasted one season i think - actually who replaced them ?

Anyway best of luck Mervue

Knappagh Red
06/12/2008, 5:40 PM
Now Galway fans can drop their obsession with Sligo Rovers and have a real rivalry with a club with similar ambitions

Neish
06/12/2008, 5:49 PM
Is Mervue in or near to the City of Galway? If not what kind size town is it?

Mr A
06/12/2008, 6:12 PM
It's in the City, on the East side.

Maroon 7
06/12/2008, 6:38 PM
Is Mervue in or near to the City of Galway? If not what kind size town is it?

It's a suburb on the east side of Galway city.

Best of luck to them anyway. I think they'll be a decent mid-table side in the first division. I just hope they will be able to manage the extra costs financially.

sonofstan
06/12/2008, 7:27 PM
Not actually that far from Terryland, is it? - if there is to be a second team in Galway, Salthill Devon would make more sense with a distinct catchment area. Good luck all the same

Kildareman
06/12/2008, 7:40 PM
Mervue are there on sporting merit.

They will hardly bring less to the league than Kildare County (full of Dubliners) did.

If you dont know what you're talking about then dont say it.

Ignorance.

Martinho II
06/12/2008, 8:10 PM
best of luck to mervue.. they brought good support up to flancare when we played in the under 21 final six long years ago.. nice to have another county team..

got this on wikipedia on newcastlewest:

Newcastlewest FC (originally called Newcastle United) are a football club from the town of Newcastlewest in Co. Limerick in Ireland. They played in the Football League of Ireland First Division from 1985/86 to 1989/90. They joined the league as it expanded from sixteen clubs to twenty-two. Along with five other new clubs, they started in the First Division with four clubs who had been relegated the previous season.

Newcastlewest's highest position achieved during their five seasons of League of Ireland membership was sixth in the First Division in 1988/89.

Paddyfield
06/12/2008, 8:34 PM
Any fanbase for Mervue?

Mervue United have 26 tams from U10's upwards. Mervue is a suburb on the east of Galway city.

I heard that they intend to play on Saturday nights on the same weekend that Galway United are away.

Their ground is located a few hundred metres from Crowley Park where Galway United played home games for a season whilst Terryland was being redeveloped in 1993. Crowley Park (home of Galwegians RFC) was recently sold for €18M. Galwegians are moving to a greenfield site on the Clifden Road.

Fahey's Field is the unusual name of Mervue's home ground. It has floodlights but no seats. It is located within 100 metres of The Days Hotel and the Bon Secours Hospital. GMIT College is also nearby.

Knappagh Red
06/12/2008, 9:40 PM
Newcastlewest's highest position achieved during their five seasons of League of Ireland membership was sixth in the First Division in 1988/89.

I remember everyone in the Showgrounds laughing at three of their team wearing odd socks that year

GalwayRed
06/12/2008, 10:01 PM
Good luck to Mervue i really hope this works out for them.

GlasnevinRed
07/12/2008, 1:36 AM
Welcome Mervue. Looking forward to our trip out that way.

Claret Murph
07/12/2008, 5:16 AM
Great stuff
I really doubt that I will see them next season but I really hope they do well on and off the field .:ball:

holidaysong
07/12/2008, 2:02 PM
Great stuff
I really doubt that I will see them next season but I really hope they do well on and off the field .:ball:

With the League Cup regionalised you could easily meet them that way..

Buller
07/12/2008, 3:27 PM
Don't want to come across as an a$shole, but I think this could impact football in Galway negatively. The city definately does not have the population to sustain to 2 LOI clubs and this will ultimately split potential support. Mervue are a sucessful amature club and should stay in the amature leagues. I hope they dont run into financial difficulty as junior football in the city needs them.

Sniffer
07/12/2008, 7:22 PM
Yep, find it hard to see a positive in this. Galway have struggled enough as it is without the added complication of another LOI club on their doormat. Clearly Mervue can't be denied their spot on sporting merit, and good luck to them for having the liathroidi to take this challenge on; but overall it can't be a good thing for football in the region. It's ironic that the pyramid system has produced this anomaly. The pyramid is now two-headed in Galway.

Martinho II
07/12/2008, 8:22 PM
Mervue United have 26 tams from U10's upwards. Mervue is a suburb on the east of Galway city.

I heard that they intend to play on Saturday nights on the same weekend that Galway United are away.

Their ground is located a few hundred metres from Crowley Park where Galway United played home games for a season whilst Terryland was being redeveloped in 1993. Crowley Park (home of Galwegians RFC) was recently sold for €18M. Galwegians are moving to a greenfield site on the Clifden Road.

Fahey's Field is the unusual name of Mervue's home ground. It has floodlights but no seats. It is located within 100 metres of The Days Hotel and the Bon Secours Hospital. GMIT College is also nearby.

whats going to happen now to crowley park now thats its sold??

Paddyfield
07/12/2008, 10:00 PM
whats going to happen now to crowley park now thats its sold??

It was sold to a property developer. It is literally a few minutes from the GMIT College. However, with the downturn in the economy, I wouldn't be shocked if the proposal is stalled. Then again, it may already be a done deal.

CraftyToePoke
09/12/2008, 2:11 AM
Its a brave move, last time this was tried with 2 teams in the same county outside Dublin, Cork + Louth (all established football clubs) it ended in disaster, NewcastleWest (aka newcastle utd) co limerick were founder memebers of the 1984 first div - only lasted one season i think - actually who replaced them ?

Anyway best of luck Mervue

I used to go to N.C.W. games, think St. Jamses Gate came into the league instead and were themselves replaced by St. Francis, or maybe vice versa.

Ash
09/12/2008, 8:16 AM

Makes no odds on the conditions of Fahys Field cos they'll be playing in
Terryland if they get a licvence. In return Fahys Field will be used by the Galway & District Football League for unnderage finals or something like that.
Galway and Mervue will use Terryland on alternative weekends.

Thats the deal being mooted by Mervue anyway.

LK37oldskool
09/12/2008, 6:20 PM

Sounds like Jackman Park. Now there's 2 clubs with sub standard grounds.:eek: The Wexford lads wont like that ,their used to their comforts.

Demoshield
09/12/2008, 11:57 PM
Makes no odds on the conditions of Fahys Field cos they'll be playing in
Terryland if they get a licvence. In return Fahys Field will be used by the Galway & District Football League for unnderage finals or something like that.
Galway and Mervue will use Terryland on alternative weekends.

Thats the deal being mooted by Mervue anyway.

GUFC paid two grand a game for use of Terryland a couple of seasons ago in the first division. I presume Mervue will have to pay a similar fee. G&DL will have to be seen to treat both clubs equally.

oldyouth
10/12/2008, 9:02 AM
Sounds like Jackman Park. Now there's 2 clubs with sub standard grounds.:eek: The Wexford lads wont like that ,their used to their comforts.

If we play at Jackman Park, we will play anywhere. Our bus pulls in to the ground before kick off and stays till the game is over. I'm sure Mervue will at least try to comply with their licence and we look forward to the trip. Welcome Mervue

Ash
10/12/2008, 12:25 PM
GUFC paid two grand a game for use of Terryland a couple of seasons ago in the first division. I presume Mervue will have to pay a similar fee. G&DL will have to be seen to treat both clubs equally.

Im presuming the angle they're coming from will be that the use of Fahys Field
will cover the cost. Dont know though, only presuming

Gaillimh Al
10/12/2008, 12:53 PM
As Ash has said, having the use of Mervue's facilities(astroturf/pitches) for representative team's training and matches as well as maybe the odd local final I imagine would offset a lot of the cost. Galway United have nothing to their name with which to barter with.

Patrick Dunne
10/12/2008, 1:49 PM
United also have the use of temporary office space in Terryland, and advertising hoardings at the ground. I'd imagine that any rent paid by Mervue would be lower than the figure paid by GUFC.

Dodge
10/12/2008, 1:55 PM
I used to go to N.C.W. games, think St. Jamses Gate came into the league instead and were themselves replaced by St. Francis, or maybe vice versa.

Thats spot on. They entered the league as Newcastle Utd in 1985, changed to Newcastlewest, then dropped out in 1991 to be replaced by St James gate

DotTV
10/12/2008, 9:13 PM
Well best of luck to Mervue, it's great too see a junior club making the step up, and I'm a Salthill Devon man by the way.
Not sure how it will all turn out though. They will probably hold their own on the pitch but there is so much to organise off pitch. I think they plan to use Fahys Field but it has to be developed first. Probably will only get a couple of hundred and some of them will be Mervies who would normally got to terryland so GUFC might lose a few punters along the way.

wexfordseagull
13/12/2008, 7:09 PM
when we joined the league we had no floodlights for a few games i think we had temp seats for the majority of the season and we initially played sunday afternoons,sure mervue can get around this at least temp,till something permanent put in place so they can use there own ground,good luck see you next season:ball:

dell hell
14/12/2008, 5:02 AM
this is like a joke but without a punchline,galway need the support of the league not a kick in the teeth like this,Mervue is a housing estate,a housing estate with a junior football team the same as a thousand others around the country,pure desperation from the LOI looking to add a team to the league,best of luck to mervue but still a joke,

WoodquayBoy
19/12/2008, 11:45 PM
Agree that their promotion will negatively impact United, but the simple fact is they were good enough to qualify for promotion and so deserve their shot. Players will play on amateur terms, and to be honest, if it goes ti.ts up, they can always pull out so you can't blame them for accepting invite to apply for licence.

Monkfish
20/12/2008, 9:48 AM
a housing estate with a junior football team the same as a thousand others around the country,

Who, unlike the 'thousands' of others decided not to remain in the comfort zone of being a big fish in a manky pond, joined the A league, topped it, and beat Kildare over 2 games to EARN (and thats the big word here) their place in the league.

And anyway, what interest does a fella who wont even support his own junior team let alone local LOI club have with what happens in Galway? :confused:

dell hell
20/12/2008, 6:19 PM
Who, unlike the 'thousands' of others decided not to remain in the comfort zone of being a big fish in a manky pond, joined the A league, topped it, and beat Kildare over 2 games to EARN (and thats the big word here) their place in the league.

And anyway, what interest does a fella who wont even support his own junior team let alone local LOI club have with what happens in Galway? :confused:

this thread is about mervue try stay on topic

Monkfish
21/12/2008, 12:28 PM
this thread is about mervue try stay on topic

They deserve their place, end of story.

London-Irish
11/01/2009, 1:44 PM
Any news yet on where Mervue are going to play?

Terry
11/01/2009, 3:26 PM
Looks like it will be terryland as the costs are to much at the moment to get Fahys Field up to standards, plus time to do the work is quickly running out

Town Legend
18/01/2009, 8:50 PM
Welcome to The First Division!! Galway is a great city to go out in, always enjoy going down there!!! :D

London-Irish
01/02/2009, 12:53 PM
Has Terryland been confirmed yet? Or are Mervue going to play at their own ground?

gufc2000
01/02/2009, 1:27 PM
Has Terryland been confirmed yet? Or are Mervue going to play at their own ground?
Terryland was confirmed a few weeks ago there. Fahy's Field just aint suitable for LOI football at the mo, there's no seating there. Mervue will be upgrading their ground this season.

hoop4life
06/02/2009, 11:13 PM
Terryland was confirmed a few weeks ago there. Fahy's Field just aint suitable for LOI football at the mo, there's no seating there. Mervue will be upgrading their ground this season.

is the pitch to the right of the clubhouse their main pitch? is there any room for a stand and seats?

gufc2000
09/02/2009, 7:29 PM
is the pitch to the right of the clubhouse their main pitch? is there any room for a stand and seats?

[IMAGE DELETED]

The pitch behind that clubhouse is where they play i think. There is room for expansion on the far side