PDA

View Full Version : Impact on Sunderland's Irish players

OwlsFan
04/12/2008, 3:36 PM
As I said in your original thread, other than Murphy, Millar and Reid who'd get a few minutes each, his going obviously should help them since they can't do any worse. Most (other than Reid aka Red and Murphy) will be sold on I suspect and hopefully get first team football if only in the Championship.

holidaysong
04/12/2008, 4:06 PM
Their nationality shouldn't matter. If they are good enough the next manager will keep them and if not they will be gotten rid of.

As far as the Irish national team goes, it doesn't really matter who they play for or who the manager is though..

seanfhear
04/12/2008, 4:09 PM
Andy Reid,Paul McShane,Daryl Murphy are the only ones that I would let near a premier league team and even then there would be some doubt.

If any manager brought players of that quality(the rest of your list) in to a premier league and they preceded to perform the way that they have done then he would be right to resign.

It brings no pleasure to me to say it but these Irish players and Roy Keane were not good enough for that level.

superfrank
04/12/2008, 4:21 PM
Reid and possibly Murphy are the only ones who, at this moment, are up to the Premier League. I've never been impressed with McShane but, in fairness, Hull have done well and he's been an ever present so he can't be that bad.

Meyler and Stokes are ones that have potential but the rest should be sold. They're not up to the Premier.

Razors left peg
04/12/2008, 4:33 PM
Reid and possibly Murphy are the only ones who, at this moment, are up to the Premier League. I've never been impressed with McShane but, in fairness, Hull have done well and he's been an ever present so he can't be that bad.

Meyler and Stokes are ones that have potential but the rest should be sold. They're not up to the Premier.

You really believe that Andy Reid isnt up to Premiership standard?

osarusan
04/12/2008, 4:42 PM
You really believe that Andy Reid isnt up to Premiership standard?

In the very post you quoted he said that while Reid is up to the standard, most of the rest are not.

superfrank
04/12/2008, 4:44 PM
Thanks osarusan. :)

theworm2345
04/12/2008, 5:02 PM
Lets try this again, hopefully it wont get both hijacked and modjacked.

How would a new (likely non-Irish) manager deal with the vast amount of Irish player at Sunderland?

- Liam Miller
- Daryl Murpy
- Andy Reid
- David Connolly
- David Meyler
- Nicky Colgan
- Paul McShane
- Anthony Stokes
- Roy O Donovan
- Graham Kavanagh

In my opinion Kavanagh, Colgan and O Donovan are doomed to championship or lower regardless of manager. Meyler and Stokes will probably be loaned out again, McShane will be judged on the rest of his loan season. I think Murphy and Miller could be sold, possibly to championship clubs with Andy Reid being the only one to have a good shot at staying in the clubs plans. God knows what Connolly is doing.
He's recovering from hip surgery and according to physioroom.com will be returning to full training in the next week or so. Keane's firing can only be positive for Connolly as under Keane he was never given a chance in the EPL and wasn't loaned out (because he was hurt)...so we'll see. I think theres a chance Mick might return, but don't quote me on it.

Razors left peg
04/12/2008, 5:14 PM
Thanks osarusan. :)

apologies.... one of these days I'll learn how to read:)

zenokelly
04/12/2008, 5:17 PM
He's recovering from hip surgery and according to physioroom.com will be returning to full training in the next week or so. Keane's firing can only be positive for Connolly as under Keane he was never given a chance in the EPL and wasn't loaned out (because he was hurt)...so we'll see. I think theres a chance Mick might return, but don't quote me on it.

That's the most ridiculous post I've read in a long time. I don't think I need to explain:rolleyes:

Lenny82
04/12/2008, 5:25 PM
I'm raging Keane has gone!! Good call Worm on the whole Mick McCarthy call. I wouldn't be surprised if Saint Niall gave him a call but he is working wonders at Wolves and I'd imagine he'd like to continue what he's doing there!!

When you see the list, there really is an awful lot of Irish players in the squad. McShane could sign for Hull in January for a knock down price just to get rid of him. Stokes may go down a similar road. Kavanagh and Connolly are getting on now and could possibly be sold or let go also.

If Murphy has any sense, he should look for a Championship team where he will get regular football or he won't be in Trap's squad for a very long time.

Miller and Reid have the ability to fight for their place in that team. I think they'll keep Meyler and O'Donovan as reserve team players or possibly loan them out but I can't see a future for Colgan there.

elroy
04/12/2008, 5:58 PM
Betfair has allardyce and curbishley favourites, no surprises there with O'Leary close behind. Could Dave fit the bill???

I think Connolly has had enough opportunities at premiership level and has never really looked good enough. I dont see Connolly ever featuring in an Ireland shirt again.

theworm2345
04/12/2008, 6:00 PM
That's the most ridiculous post I've read in a long time. I don't think I need to explain:rolleyes:
You just wait...I hope not though as I'm a Wolves supporter

Zeno you must have meant this post...

I think Connolly has had enough opportunities at premiership level and has never really looked good enough. I dont see Connolly ever featuring in an Ireland shirt again.
Yep, his 5 starts, one of which he got hurt and one of which he played with Michael Chopra and his handful of late subs is enough :rolleyes:

elroy
04/12/2008, 6:12 PM
Yep, his 5 starts, one of which he got hurt and one of which he played with Michael Chopra and his handful of late subs is enough :rolleyes:

Ah........ you may remember he spent a season with Wigan in the premiership as well....think he only scored once. He played quite a few games and was sold on to Sunderland.

EDIT: in fact he made 19 appearances and scored one goal. Obviously no recollection of this?!?!?

theworm2345
04/12/2008, 6:22 PM
Ah........ you may remember he spent a season with Wigan in the premiership as well....think he only scored once. He played quite a few games and was sold on to Sunderland.

EDIT: in fact he made 19 appearances and scored one goal. Obviously no recollection of this?!?!?
Yes, 4 starts that season and probably roughly 180 minutes combined in those other 14 apps (if you exclude the one against Reading after Henri Camara got hurt in the season he joined Sunderland where he played quite well for 70 minutes)

elroy
04/12/2008, 6:31 PM
Yes, 4 starts that season and probably roughly 180 minutes combined in those other 14 apps (if you exclude the one against Reading after Henri Camara got hurt in the season he joined Sunderland where he played quite well for 70 minutes)

Funny you never included it above then, seeing as he has made more premiership appearances for Wigan than Sunderland. He was unable to get a starting role ahead of Heskey or Camara, unlikely he'll get ahead of Jones or Cisse but sure wait and see......

theworm2345
04/12/2008, 6:42 PM
Funny you never included it above then, seeing as he has made more premiership appearances for Wigan than Sunderland. He was unable to get a starting role ahead of Heskey or Camara, unlikely he'll get ahead of Jones or Cisse but sure wait and see......
These are all quality strikers who have played in the World Cup and have done well there (besides Cisse, not sure he ever played there) as well as in the league. However, none of Sunderland's strikers are doing that well at the moment so you never know. I wouldn't expect him to play above them. Honestly, I dont care if he plays at Sunderland I just want to see him play (EPL or CCC though)

Anyway I'd say Stokes will not ever come back and Murphy's days are also likely numbered. Kavanagh has performed very well, though in League One but he might not be completely out of the picture.

Funny you never included it above then
Those 5 starts are with Sunderland and Wigan combined...

Morbo
05/12/2008, 12:37 AM
Wolves are probably more likely to be playing Premiership football next season so I can't see Mick taking the job unless he does it fot the money or he feels he has a point to prove after how his last stint as at sunderland ended even though I thought he did a good job overall and it was mistake to sack him. Allardyce seems the most likely choice atm to me

irishfan86
05/12/2008, 12:51 AM
Wolves are probably more likely to be playing Premiership football next season so I can't see Mick taking the job unless he does it fot the money or he feels he has a point to prove after how his last stint as at sunderland ended even though I thought he did a good job overall and it was mistake to sack him. Allardyce seems the most likely choice atm to me

With Sunderland's squad and the money available, Mick would be stupid to turn the job down.

However, if he's worried about returning because of what the fan's think, or if he's really enjoying himself at Wolves, then maybe he will stay with them.

But your statement that Wolves are more likely to be playing in the Premier League than Sunderland next year is way off the mark.

I hope for your financial sake that you're not into sports betting.

rebelraider
05/12/2008, 1:22 AM
cant see roy o'donovan hanging on at sunderland,
he's struggling to get in the dundee united team at the moment.
depending on who's appointed manager cant see many of the irish
surviving

Colbert Report
05/12/2008, 2:54 AM
With Sunderland's squad and the money available, Mick would be stupid to turn the job down.

However, if he's worried about returning because of what the fan's think, or if he's really enjoying himself at Wolves, then maybe he will stay with them.

But your statement that Wolves are more likely to be playing in the Premier League than Sunderland next year is way off the mark.

I hope you're not into sports betting. Sunderland are odds on to go down. Wolves are odds on to go up. Do the maths!

irishfan86
05/12/2008, 4:34 AM
I hope you're not into sports betting. Sunderland are odds on to go down. Wolves are odds on to go up. Do the maths!

In this case, betting against those possibilities would probably be the smart thing to do as there'd be better money to make.

I wouldn't touch the Wolves one either way as the Championship is too volatile, but Sunderland have a decent squad and they will bounce up into mid-table, no doubt about that in my view.

Junior
05/12/2008, 9:33 AM
but Sunderland have a decent squad and they will bounce up into mid-table, no doubt about that in my view.

The currently managerless Sunderland, low on quality, low on confidence and results and you dont have a doubt.....come on?

Morbo
05/12/2008, 2:17 PM

Wolves were 10 points clear of 3rd place last time I checked and Sunderland are in the relegation zone, granted Sunderland have more resources than Wolves and I think Sunderland probably will survive but I doubt the odds of Sunderland staying up are far shorter than the odds of Wolves getting promoted, the odds are probably pretty close actually but I'd give the edge to Wolves.

Na I'm not big into sports betting but thanks for your concern about my finances, such a bunch of caring folk on this board.

Closed Account
05/12/2008, 2:47 PM
Wolves were 10 points clear of 3rd place last time I checked and Sunderland are in the relegation zone, granted Sunderland have more resources than Wolves and I think Sunderland probably will survive but I doubt the odds of Sunderland staying up are far shorter than the odds of Wolves getting promoted, the odds are probably pretty close actually but I'd give the edge to Wolves.

Na I'm not big into sports betting but thanks for your concern about my finances, such a bunch of caring folk on this board.
Wolves to get promoted 4/11
Sunderland to get relegated 2/1