PDA

View Full Version : Obama

Pages : [1] 2

dahamsta
02/12/2008, 4:13 PM
Continuation from the Presidential Election thread (http://foot.ie/showthread.php?t=78875).

HarpoJoyce
02/12/2008, 4:16 PM
Has the breed, sex and name of dog being chosen yet?

strangeirish
02/12/2008, 4:59 PM
Has the breed, sex and name of dog being chosen yet?
Alaskan, Female, Sarah.:D

galwayhoop
04/12/2008, 2:25 PM
well what do we think, is it going to be big change or is it like usual just a whole lot of fanfare and a lot of hot air....

i know he has to face a different economic environment than recent presidents but i can't help thinking that it will be the same old tosh from this guy.

i saw this (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C5nu5GRDzog) on sky movies recently and thought it all seemed very, very familiar

pete
04/12/2008, 3:14 PM
He is certainly constructing one of the more interesting cabinets of recent times with many former political rivals signed up.

Whether Obama has the answers or not doesn't really matter. The world economy needs a confidence boost so as soon as incumbent is gone the better.

http://www.mediabistro.com/fishbowlny/original/LAME+DUCK+.jpg

dahamsta
04/12/2008, 5:51 PM
Great cartoon!

kingdom hoop
08/12/2008, 1:13 PM
Just spotting the thread title there inspired a little wry observation.

Assume for a moment that you are a white supremacist from Colorado and speak with a broad drawwwwwwl. You therefore pronounce 'Obama' as 'Ohh-baaaaaaaaaahhhhhhh-mah'. Next, recite in character the line that follows.

"My country has such a proud history of white presidents, but with the election of a black man to the office of President our once-great nation has become a terrifying Obama-nation."

The rest of us meanwhile wonder if his election can, somewhat ironically, make the US less of an abomination. :)

pete
10/12/2008, 5:35 PM
Illinois Governor selling Obamas US Senate seat. Obama calls on him to quit. Click (http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/7773717.stm). Bizarre story when you consider the Governor knew he was being investigated. I wonder did his sales pitch include reminders that last 'owner' is now President :p

FBI investigators said telephone intercepts showed that Mr Blagojevich had been offered campaign cash by a man who was interested in taking the seat.

Federal agents quoted by ABC News named Congressman Jesse Jackson Jr as the man who offered Mr Blagojevich the money.

In transcripts of telephone conversations released by the FBI on Tuesday, Mr Blagojevich is quoted saying that a man referred to by officials as Senate Candidate 5 would "raise me 500 grand. An emissary came. Then the other guy would raise a million, if I made him a Senator".

Chicago seems to have history of high profile political corruption or else they just investigate more than others.

Lucky we don't have corruption in Ireland (http://www.rte.ie/news/2008/1210/fahym.html)

passinginterest
20/01/2009, 4:16 PM
Anyone listening to or watching his inauguration speech?
He's an impressive man, but can he save the world?

strangeirish
20/01/2009, 4:28 PM
Tremendous and powerful speech. "To the Muslim world, we seek a new way forward, based on mutual interest and mutual respect. To those leaders around the globe who seek to sow conflict, or blame their society's ills on the West — know that your people will judge you on what you can build, not what you destroy. To those who cling to power through corruption and deceit and the silencing of dissent, know that you are on the wrong side of history; but that we will extend a hand if you are willing to unclench your fist".

pineapple stu
20/01/2009, 4:30 PM
Call me a cynic, but words are cheap.

strangeirish
20/01/2009, 4:34 PM
pineapple stu is a cynic. Now, there you go.:D

pete
20/01/2009, 4:34 PM
Not meant to be cynical but words will soon be forgotten unless he can save the world. Expectations are far too high for him so will be interesting to see the reaction when he has to start making really tough decisions. One of the most difficult times ever to start as President.

Americans really love the pomp & ceremony.

Biden will be fun though as he will be good for Bush-esque gaffs. :p

NeilMcD
20/01/2009, 4:48 PM

not much else you can do in a speech though. Actions are harder unless he does some break dancing.

Dodge
20/01/2009, 4:49 PM
A huge part of politics is inspiring people. He's done that better than any politician I've seen. He's tooled himself with some of the most highly regarded US politicians and they'll make sure he makes the right decisions. Can Obama save the world?

Yes he can!

pineapple stu
20/01/2009, 4:53 PM
not much else you can do in a speech though.
Absolutely. Which is why I won't pay it too much heed.

I like him, but he's already saying things like "America won't change its ways" (think that, or something very similar, was in his speech) and saying that an election promise to close Guantanemo immediately now isn't possible. Leads me to think it'll be a more likeable guy in the White House doing fairly similar things.

ArdeeBhoy
21/01/2009, 6:45 AM
Good luck, Barack Hussein.
And 'God speed'.

Reality Bites
21/01/2009, 10:52 AM
He's tooled himself with some of the most highly regarded US politicians and they'll make sure he makes the right decisions. Can Obama save the world?

Yes he can!

Brian Cowen has done the opposite he has appointed tools to make sure he makes all the wrong decisions

Wolfie
21/01/2009, 12:24 PM
What Mantras are we saddled with at the moment?

"No we bloody well can't" and "Jaysus, we better not"

Rovers1
21/01/2009, 12:51 PM
Michelle's a looker ;)

pete
21/01/2009, 1:00 PM
Does the world feel a better place today? Not seeing any significant change in World Disasters (http://hisz.rsoe.hu/alertmap/?area=&lang=eng)....

:confused:

Dodge
21/01/2009, 1:11 PM
Personally speaking I feel better today than yesterday. Obama can claim credit if he likes

Da Real Rover
21/01/2009, 1:29 PM
Obamas policies on Israel/Palestine, real progressive.
Yes we can indeed.

osarusan
21/01/2009, 1:45 PM
Does the world feel a better place today? Not seeing any significant change in World Disasters (http://hisz.rsoe.hu/alertmap/?area=&lang=eng)....

What are you confused about Pete? Did you expect him to stop earthquakes and floods?

Just after reading his inauguration speech, and it is powerful stuff. That said, I'm sure that we could look back through speeches from other presidents and see similar grandiose comments. How will he follow up on things is the question.

His first act - to halt the Guantanamo trials - was a positive step.

dahamsta
21/01/2009, 2:26 PM
Does the world feel a better place today? Not seeing any significant change in World Disasters (http://hisz.rsoe.hu/alertmap/?area=&lang=eng)....That's probably one of the dumbest comments I've seen you make on the site pete. Seriously, if that's what you're reduced to, give up.

Red&White Rover
21/01/2009, 2:59 PM

I agree. Only he could have prevented that vehicle accident in the South of France...

As for all the volcanoes, what is his policy on them?

pete
21/01/2009, 4:16 PM

I haven't noticed him mention them yet. Doesn't seem to be on his agenda.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/6/61/Joke_Alert.png

strangeirish
22/01/2009, 12:37 AM
Obama retakes the Oath. Here (http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/28780417/)

Just to be on the safe side. Cutting the right wing nut jobs off at the pass if you ask me, even though he officially became president at noon on Tuesday, oath or no oath.

From CNN...
'The Constitution is clear about the exact wording of the oath and as a result, some constitutional experts have said that a do-over probably wasn't necessary but also couldn't hurt. Two other previous presidents have repeated the oath because of similar issues, Calvin Coolidge and Chester A. Arthur'.

Ash
22/01/2009, 8:25 AM
Obama retakes the Oath. Here (http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/28780417/)

Just to be on the safe side. Cutting the right wing nut jobs off at the pass if you ask me, even though he officially became president at noon on Tuesday, oath or no oath.

From CNN...
'The Constitution is clear about the exact wording of the oath and as a result, some constitutional experts have said that a do-over probably wasn't necessary but also couldn't hurt. Two other previous presidents have repeated the oath because of similar issues, Calvin Coolidge and Chester A. Arthur'.

Bad start to his tenure ...

A face
22/01/2009, 10:00 AM

:p

What are you confused about Pete? Did you expect him to stop earthquakes and floods?

That's probably one of the dumbest comments I've seen you make on the site pete. Seriously, if that's what you're reduced to, give up.

I agree. Only he could have prevented that vehicle accident in the South of France...

Ah come people .... That is one seriously big whoosh for all of ye, or we need to get a few SOH donors stat !! :eek:

strangeirish
22/01/2009, 11:18 AM
Bad start to his tenure ...
Nah, nerves just got the better of both men. After all, they are human, aren't they?:D

pineapple stu
22/01/2009, 4:34 PM
saying that an election promise to close Guantanemo immediately now isn't possible.
On Sky News at the moment that he's signed an order to have Guantanemo closed in the next twelve months. Words are still cheap, but I'll take back the above comment. Paying too much heed to what's written in other people's tabloids on the train. :p

dahamsta
22/01/2009, 6:55 PM
Is that in addition to the order stopping military tribunals in the camp for 120 days?

pineapple stu
23/01/2009, 10:09 AM
Think so, yeah. Possibly part of the same order.

endabob1
23/01/2009, 10:20 AM
He said he signed 3 orders, roughly from my understanding;
1 was to ensure no torture,
1 to close the prison inside a year &
1 was to instigate the prosecution/suitable relocation of the inmates

SkStu
23/01/2009, 8:50 PM
He said he signed 3 orders, roughly from my understanding;
1 was to ensure no torture,
1 to close the prison inside a year &
1 was to instigate the prosecution/suitable relocation of the inmates

correct.

Angus
23/01/2009, 9:56 PM
This is all shadow boxing and purely for media consumption when the whole world is watching closely

This is publicity management and not a whole lot else.

I firmly believe that BO will be one of the great presidents but this is all shape throwing - closing gitmo is an easy win - low hanging fruit

The real tests are to come - economy, iran, healthcare

brianw82
23/01/2009, 10:09 PM
He may change a few things on the surface, but nothing will change on any meaningful level. The US is still looking out for its own interests all the time, and if that means supporting a coup that kills hundreds of thousands again (ala Indonesia in the '60s) then that's what they'll do. Israel is still the Golden Child that can do no wrong, and will continue to be.

Cynical, I know. I so want to believe in this guy, but my head over-rules my heart on this one.

dahamsta
23/01/2009, 10:34 PM
He's been POTUS for 4 days lads, get real. If you want to criticise a President on actual performance, find a Bush thread and post there. There's lots.

thischarmingman
23/01/2009, 10:50 PM
I firmly believe that BO will be one of the great presidents but this is all shape throwing - closing gitmo is an easy win - low hanging fruit

The real tests are to come - economy, iran, healthcare

It is truly ridiculous he hasn't got those three sorted by now. Obama out!

pete
25/01/2009, 5:56 PM

I don't think closing Gitmo is that easy - what does he do with the "detainees" ? Gitmo may not be popular but do Americans really want to see some of those guys walk free?

It is difficult to comment of US internal issues unless you live there & understand them fully e.g. health/education. The President is only powerful if he can get the Senate/Congress to pass his laws. From what I have read not sure American voters like having one party control the Presidency, Senate & Congress so the numbers in those houses could change in two years time.

Angus
26/01/2009, 2:36 PM
I don't think closing Gitmo is that easy - what does he do with the "detainees" ? Gitmo may not be popular but do Americans really want to see some of those guys walk free?

It is difficult to comment of US internal issues unless you live there & understand them fully e.g. health/education. The President is only powerful if he can get the Senate/Congress to pass his laws. From what I have read not sure American voters like having one party control the Presidency, Senate & Congress so the numbers in those houses could change in two years time.

Sorry, you said it better - announcing the closure of Gitmo is easy and is therefore is an easy win - the actual mechanics of closing it is clearly tricky. In his first 3 / 4 months he will be able to set the tone and drive change - and this is an easy start.

pete
26/01/2009, 4:37 PM
From the Irish Times

US President Barack Obama today opened the way for states to set stricter limits on greenhouse gas emmissions from cars in a major reversal of the Bush administration’s environment policy.

The president told the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency to reconsider California's request, denied under President George W. Bush, that would allow it to impose stricter limits on vehicle carbon dioxide emissions, blamed for contributing to global warming.

Obama quickly moving onto next big Bush policy. I suppose he using his "political" capital as Bush described it four years ago.

Saw a clip last week of Fox News running their scaremongering campaign now that Obama in charge. So blatant it is funny.

thischarmingman
26/01/2009, 8:25 PM
From the Irish Times

Obama quickly moving onto next big Bush policy. I suppose he using his "political" capital as Bush described it four years ago.

Saw a clip last week of Fox News running their scaremongering campaign now that Obama in charge. So blatant it is funny.

They interviewed Palin 2 nights ago and it was cringeworthy.

ArdeeBhoy
27/01/2009, 12:21 AM
Anyone have any thoughts on his sanctioned? bombing of Pakistan last Thursday?

Beavis
27/01/2009, 7:25 AM
'But if you look at the track record ... America was not born as a colonial power, and that the same respect and partnership that America had with the Muslim world as recently as 20 or 30 years ago, there's no reason why we can't restore that.' - Obama

Without even considering the quagmire of Iraq, relations with Arab nations is unlikely to improve without genuine pressure on Israel in addressing their continual human rights violations against Palestinians and the removal illegal settlements. Unfortunately, this won't ever happen because the pro-Israeli camp is too powerful in America.

It will be interesting to see if he has the cojones to enforce restrictions on Israel. I hope he will but I doubt it.

passinginterest
27/01/2009, 10:52 AM
Anyone else reading/read his books? I got them both for Christmas I've finished "Dreams from my Father" and just started into "The Audacity of Hope". Dreams is a remarkable memoir in many ways, I found the first and last sections totally enthralling, although it lagged a little in the middle. The fact it was written before he had gone into politics and reveals so much that most politicians would desperately try to hide makes it a very worthy read. He admits to being a troubled young man, experimenting with drugs over indulging in alcohol and generally getting in trouble. He experienced life in Indonesia and saw a whole other culture, unlike the average American president. He was and, I'd say, still is a religious skeptic I get the impression he only attaches himself to a church because it's the only way to get anything done. What comes through in the book is a genuine empathy and compassion for people, from a man who has had great struggles with his own identity, spending some formative years in Indonesia before struggling to adapt to living as a black man in a mainly white community. Before reading the book I wasn't that confident that he was capable of doing much, but afterwards I couldn't help but be hopeful. He's a really pragmatic guy, he seems to realise that he can't just rush in a alienate all the Republicans, he want's to keep them as close as possible while implementing more liberal policies. He's willing to compromise on issues to make progress rather take a with me or against me approach and that's what America has been crying out for. If he get's a second term, and the Democrats maintain a majority, I think real change will happen, until then it will be fairly gradual but hopefully it'll help to move US politics back towards the centre and away from the extremes that it seemed to be embracing.

dahamsta
27/01/2009, 12:08 PM
I bought The Audacity of Hope before the election as a way of (legally) supporting his campaign, with no intention of reading it, but I read the first few pages and actually found myself a good few chapters in before it got too manifesto-like. I guess I should have started with Dreams from my Father!

passinginterest
28/01/2009, 9:06 AM
I bought The Audacity of Hope before the election as a way of (legally) supporting his campaign, with no intention of reading it, but I read the first few pages and actually found myself a good few chapters in before it got too manifesto-like. I guess I should have started with Dreams from my Father!

I've noticed that Audacity has a much more polished feel to it, but having read Dreams makes it more believable, rather than just being a convenient manifesto he's talking about genuine beliefs. His views have become more rounded and solid, while his core principles seem to have been maintained.

Unfortunately he's only one man so the chances of him bringing about a sea change in American politics are still fairly slim.

dahamsta
28/01/2009, 11:51 AM
Very true, but any change is progress. Where progress = moving America back towards where it should be, of course.