PDA

View Full Version : Ucc Ccfc Supporters Club

Pages : [1] 2

vito_golightly
01/11/2003, 4:31 PM
The Societies Guild of UCC will hopefully more than likely meet us on Thursday to hear why a Cork City Supporters' Club of Students would be a worthwhile 'investment' for them.
At the moment, they are highly reluctant to give us the go-ahead for understandable reasons. At the same time these reasons are quite easy to argue against and this would be more effective if they hear us face-to-face. We've sped up the process by arranging for this meeting to happen on Thursday.
(Usually they sit down without any personal presentation from applicants at which point they decide for or against the idea. If the 10 member board then decide to reject the idea, the applicant has the right to come back the following week to appeal their decision personally.)
Therefore we've asked for a direct meeting rather than wasting time.
They haven't got back to us as yet (Saturday afternoon) but we have to assume that they will. So in order that we are prepared for such an eventuality, we feel it would be wise for any City fans that believe a UCC Cork City Supporters’ Club would be a worthwhile venture to meet up so as to share ideas about:
1 presenting our case.
2 overturning the arguments they have against it.
3 arranging events.
Arranging events is absolutely key to this thing being accepted and we need to absolutely sell the society on this point.
So hopefully Wednesday at 2:00 in the small room of the Old College Bar is suitable for most people. If not, please contact me at johnriordan2003@hotmail.com
Don't come on Wednesday unless you have a really good idea of an event that would build Cork City's reputation in UCC!!

FourFiveOne
05/11/2003, 7:34 PM
Best of luck lads...

Keep us up to date and we'll help in any way we can.

FFO

A face
05/11/2003, 10:20 PM
Is there a list of the current societies in The Societies Guild of UCC. Just to see it there is anything like it.

As regards events ..... that is no problem.

Peno shoot-outs, five a-side comp. dare i say it .... hit the bar comp.

A college in Cardiff had a fund raiser a few years ago, i am not sure if you know the schetch that Harry Enfield had before where Liverpoo played Arsé-nel in costume back in the 1920's or something. Black and white film and all the players walked funny (as in Charlie Chaplin, ddogy black and white film walk) .... Well the society all dressed up in old long shorts and candy stripoe shirts and hair greased to the side, and big hob nail etc. ... went really well apparently.

Best of luck anyway.

Ruairi
06/11/2003, 5:49 AM
Originally posted by A face
dare i say it .... hit the bar comp.

OOOOOOHHHHHHH......... :D

GavinZac
06/11/2003, 1:50 PM
Originally posted by vito_golightly
DAMMIT DAMMIT DAMMIT, HIT EDIT BY MISTAKE!!! Can you repost please? Really sorry, not with it at all this morning. Sorry sorry sorry!

adam

:D

vito_golightly
06/11/2003, 3:40 PM
bit computer illiterate but i put that post back in - it was on citynet.

also A FACE i remember that sketch. Gold!! the outside right with his silky skills which just had him flick the ball one way in a very unorthodox and exagerrated motion and then flick it back to whence he came!
its probably been discussed on this forum before but monty python's (at the risk of sounding like a bookish ponce) ancient greeks Vs German Philosophers was PURE GOLD!!
I cant remember exactly what the commentator says but after Sophocles (I think) gets a highly questionable tap-in, the Germans begin to protest to the ref and the commentator reels off 2 or 3 germans and their own longwinded and incomprehensible philosophies (which I guess they were famous for) and then with genius bathos:
"...and Karl Marx is calling offside."

class is a word bandied about, even genius has been slightly debased. that sketch is indescribable and now I'm gona hide in the corner and wait for the screams of "pretentious w@nker!!"

it'll be a struggle not to laugh in the face of the guild members - oh who by the way i'm meeting in 20 mins. killing time here and getting some last minute inspiration - cos God knows it aint happening on the pitch!

It's kinda like our european chances - I'm cautiously confident but anything could happen.

ccfc till i die (he's the only one that turned up yesterday) and I have formulated good arguments

we shall see

Ruairi
06/11/2003, 3:42 PM
Quality sketch. Had me in stitches.

Actually remember the other Python sketch where Eric Idle had a panel discussion with all the philosophers and started asking them questions about the English second division? Genius I tell ya

dahamsta
06/11/2003, 7:31 PM
Originally posted by vito_golightly
bit computer illiterate but i put that post back in - it was on citynet.Sorry again!

ccfc till i die
07/11/2003, 9:30 AM
Originally posted by Ruairi
Quality sketch. Had me in stitches.

Actually remember the other Python sketch where Eric Idle had a panel discussion with all the philosophers and started asking them questions about the English second division? Genius I tell ya

What about the philosophers drinking song - "Aristotle, Aristotle, was a bugger for the bottle" Emmanuel Kant was a real **** ant"

Monty python box set is a sound investment.

Ruairi
07/11/2003, 10:27 AM
And Socrates himself will be very badly missed...

A lovely little thinker but a bugger when he's p!ssed

*Roar looks at his watch and waits for the thread to be split"

ccfc till i die
07/11/2003, 3:58 PM
Damn it that's the other part I was trying to think of

GavinZac
30/08/2004, 12:51 PM
how many foot.ie members are in UCC or know a city fan in UCC?
it might be worth having a go off getting a club going again this year, although with Ken O'COnnor and vito_golightly in their last years it might be tough.

Fair_play_boy
30/08/2004, 2:25 PM
how many foot.ie members are in UCC or know a city fan in UCC?
it might be worth having a go off getting a club going again this year, . . .
Whaddya mean, like a supporters club?

GavinZac
30/08/2004, 3:21 PM
yeah, we applied last year, mid-term and were told no.

MariborKev
30/08/2004, 4:07 PM
Keep trying lads

After a few attempts we got a Queens University Belfast Derry City Supporters Society going

The student supporters club is the maddest one I have ever been in :D

A face
30/08/2004, 8:09 PM

I cant believe it actually ..... University College Cork not allowing a Cork City supporters club, and it is in Cork. Some of the other societies should really be raising a few eyebrows if they wont allow a Cork City supporters club.

A face
30/08/2004, 8:13 PM
student supporters club is the maddest one I have ever been in :D

That probably because of the money you get, for all those drinking sessions projects and surveys and the like that you do. Yeah .... we know the story :D

Gary
30/08/2004, 10:09 PM
I cant believe it actually ..... University College Cork not allowing a Cork City supporters club, and it is in Cork. Some of the other societies should really be raising a few eyebrows if they wont allow a Cork City supporters club.

Student Unions are (in general) cliques, and dont like putting their funding into anything which might take funding away from their own seedy domain. UCC, as i have been told, is no different than any other SU in the world.

It is not in their direct interests, so tough. I know alot of hard work went into last years effort, and it still fell on deaf ears. Maybe perseverance will pay off. Either that, or become a clique member i suppose.

ccfc till i die
30/08/2004, 10:20 PM
We weren't actually asking for any money, we just wanted permission to promote city in the campus, but you're right there Gary, they're all clique ****ers with their heads up their own holes.

By the by Gav, vito golightly is not in his last year although he is heading over to France for the year next year just like meself.

pete
31/08/2004, 11:45 AM
We weren't actually asking for any money, we just wanted permission to promote city in the campus...

Do you need permission to put up some posters 'n stuff in the college? I;d be surprised if was any complaints as colleges are usually plastered in posters are kinds of crap...

Ruairi
31/08/2004, 12:01 PM
I go to UCC and some of the crap around the place is unreal. It depend what way you go promoting it but I don't see a problem sticking up posters everywhere!

posters on ucc campus need to be cleared by the students union. you basically have to take your posters to their offices, and get them to stamp them. otherwise they'll just be torn down.

Ruairi
01/09/2004, 7:14 AM
you'd be surprised xr. as gary said, the su is a clique, anything new is bad. still though, it's worth annoying them over it

Prego
01/09/2004, 6:52 PM
Well feck the lot of them. Persist, persist. The Gob****es.

Fair_play_boy
01/09/2004, 10:11 PM
The SU recognises other supporters clubs, like Fianna Fail, Fine Gael, Greens, Sinn Fein, etc, etc. And they won't recognise CCFC SC?? It looks like the old South Africa in reverse. When Winnie Mandela wanted to set up a branch of the ANC, she had to call it a footy club!!
On a serious note, if the club were to be called something else, that involved field trips, then the SU might buy it. The Anthropological Research Society or some such might do it. The society could arrange about 18 field trips a year in Cork, and 18 in different parts of the country. And de college could foot the bill! :D :D

A face
01/09/2004, 10:43 PM
The Anthropological Research Society .........18 field trips a year in Cork, and 18 in different parts of the country.

That would be a huge undertaking, lots of research would be needed to come up with worth while results. Not a job for the faint hearted. :eek: ;)

ccfcman
27/09/2004, 8:20 AM
rumour has it there some supporters club for City in UCC? can some1 who konws if this is true or not PM me about it and clarify it for me please [hmm sounds like a fresher eh!]

Graham

GavinZac
27/09/2004, 9:19 AM
rumour has it there some supporters club for City in UCC? can some1 who konws if this is true or not PM me about it and clarify it for me please [hmm sounds like a fresher eh!]

Graham

i want to set one up. theres a thread about it from a few weeks ago. we tried last year and were rejected.

BeerBaron69
27/09/2004, 1:49 PM
IM in. If theres one formed. It sounds better than the Mass Debating Society!!!

Éanna
27/09/2004, 1:58 PM
I'll be knocking around the place as well. count me in

SÓC
27/09/2004, 2:33 PM
Had a very informal chat with a former member of the Soc guild, he thinks that it will be rejected again so we'll have to extra try hard to convince them.

Éanna
27/09/2004, 3:01 PM
unreal. no good reason for them to turn this down. we could just set one up anyway........

ccfcman
27/09/2004, 3:13 PM
want to meet up on campus about this so?

unfortunately soc days is wed. so we'll be outta time, 100 signatures is easy peasy and im sure we can scrape together a full €100 guys!

also its a new bigger and better excuse to go out on the lash, i mean broaden our horizons.

Graham

City Born &Bred
27/09/2004, 10:29 PM
Alright Lads,

Just started in ucc this year. Myself and my buddy would be willing to help & try and set it up. If any1's interested will we call a gathering of every1 there by honan chapel r like by students centre at 1ish tomo (tues) in cork colours to make it easy, if theres a rush 2 get the thing sorted for weds like.
Talk to ya then,
Cheers
:ball:
My emails ronanmurphy77@hotmail.com if anyone wants to contact me.

GavinZac
28/09/2004, 12:04 AM
ive a lecture at one.... how about 12 in the old bar, the small room? like old times ;)

a better idea would be in a few days. maybe wednesday when the actual society day is on, we could grab a seat and just start saying "join the cork city club" in the devere hall

Fair_play_boy
28/09/2004, 6:49 AM
ive a lecture at one.... how about 12 in the old bar, the small room? like old times ;)

a better idea would be in a few days. maybe wednesday when the actual society day is on, we could grab a seat and just start saying "join the cork city club" in the devere hall
That idea is good for all sorts of reasons. If the Societies Guild is anything like it was when I was around, the thing is run by ppl who want to protect the interests of its existing members. How better to shake things up than to get a place and hold it. If you are let be, good. If you are ejected, all the better, as Cork loves the rebel spirit and by being pushed around by officialdumb, ye gather more momentum.
Been there. It works. You could organise your first protest rally in the Shed next Friday night. :D :D :D

City Born &Bred
28/09/2004, 7:53 AM
That'll be perfect.
Im on for that lads!! See ye there.

GavinZac
28/09/2004, 9:16 AM
turns out my lecture is actually at 12 but sure feck it, first week means nawthin. old bar it is, small room. up the stairs, into the bar, and turn left, for those new to UCC's finest bar.

GavinZac
28/09/2004, 9:19 AM
Meeting at 12 today in the old bar, small room :D

GavinZac
28/09/2004, 9:23 AM
Will a mod merge these threads?

Ruairi
28/09/2004, 9:40 AM
Will a mod merge these threads?

YUP.......

GavinZac
28/09/2004, 10:11 AM
an mhaith ar fad.

just to re-iterate for the new page, if you're in UCC today, get to the old bar at 12!

ccfcman
28/09/2004, 10:34 AM
sh1t i've managment at 12! can we make it one (3hr break)

Graham

ccfcman
28/09/2004, 10:45 AM
Just posted a thread on the UCC su forum in Societies page.

Graham

GavinZac
28/09/2004, 1:04 PM
anyone willing to come to a meeting, please post your name and suggested time here (http://www.shedend.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=2#2)

by the way the site isnt finished. its been decided not to merge with fourfiveone after all, and the whole thing has to be started again. work for me :cool:

ccfcman
28/09/2004, 1:52 PM
too lazy to register im always about, ive tonnes of free time atm but ill ave study and tutorials yet

GavinZac
28/09/2004, 2:00 PM
too lazy to register

its 2 clicks :confused:

ccfcman
28/09/2004, 4:28 PM
c'est fini

citycity
28/09/2004, 5:15 PM
What are the plans for socity day 2mo??? will ye be there?? il get about 10 from elec eng 4 to join as well as civil eng 4. if they dont let us in, stay out by the new bar, chanting. il be there at lunchtime with my crew, so lets get a massive crowd and make sure UCC recogise cork city!!

GavinZac
28/09/2004, 7:26 PM
how about, around 1 o clock, we walk in and sit down, and ask people to join the cork city supporters society. i'll print a "poster" :D

if we're thrown out, we sing city songs.

Colm
29/09/2004, 2:35 AM
how about, around 1 o clock, we walk in and sit down, and ask people to join the cork city supporters society. i'll print a "poster" :D

if we're thrown out, we sing city songs.

I might or might not be there. 1 o clock is very early by my bodyclock! :)