PDA

View Full Version : Mervue claim League spot

A face
02/12/2008, 11:14 AM
Mervue claim League spot

Kildare County 0-3 Mervue United
Mervue win 5-2 on aggregate

Galway side Mervue United claimed the final place in next season’s League of Ireland with a fine play-off victory over Kildare County on Friday night. Kildare had bounced back from two goals down in the initial encounter in Galway on Tuesday, but there was no respite for Tony Cousins’s side at Station Road. Former Galway United striker Dave Goldbey netted twice and Dave O’Brien was also on target as Mervue, who finished in fourth place in the ‘A’ Championship but were the highest placed club eligible for the promotion/relegation play-off, knocked the Thoroughbreds out of senior soccer.

O’Brien opened the scoring after quarter of an hour, his free kick evading defenders and goalkeeper alike before finding the net just inside the post. Ciaran Kilduff had a chance to level for Kildare after the interval but the opportunity was lost and Goldbey struck twice to complete a stunning win for Mervue. He got on the end of a pass from Ollie Keogh to beat Austin O’Neill for the second and he completed the victory with a precise finish eight minutes from the end.

Read more at www.eleven-a-side.com (http://www.eleven-a-side.com/first/news.asp?n=35007)

holidaysong
02/12/2008, 2:53 PM
How misleading is this thread? That is very old news at this stage. The title implies that they have now accepted the league place..

Jofspring
02/12/2008, 2:57 PM
ya i had thought they accepted it from the title.

Dunny
02/12/2008, 3:31 PM
ya i had thought they accepted it from the title.

Ditto...

Trainee
05/12/2008, 10:34 AM
Mervue members voted to join first Div last night

KBurke
05/12/2008, 10:36 AM
According to a local paper this morning Mervue are looking at going through the licencing process and if they are granted a First Division Licence they will accept. An Fai delegation is coming to Galway on Monday to assess what work needs doing on the ground etc.

THe club will remain amateur, have the cheapest season tickets in the LOI €50, and will liase with Galway United and the Fai so that teams are at home on alternate weekends.

Dodge
05/12/2008, 10:39 AM
Good for them. I hope everything works out

holidaysong
05/12/2008, 10:44 AM
Good luck to Mervue.

jackd
05/12/2008, 11:08 AM
Some players and committee members are on 102 - 104 fm today talking about this promotion today so should be interesting to see what they say. Think its 4.30pm

pineapple stu
05/12/2008, 11:28 AM
will liase with Galway United and the Fai so that teams are at home on alternate weekends.
Good luck with that!

Interesting to see how they get on. The First Division could really benefit from promotion/relegation (although I think Kildare will still be around next year, and could be a bit improved too if they stay up early enough).

Claret Murph
05/12/2008, 11:40 AM
I did speak with someone involed with the club said that they are not going to say until two weeks time . Not sure what to make of it really .

Curler
05/12/2008, 2:56 PM
http://www.galwaynews.ie/5839-mervue-utd-take-plunge