PDA

View Full Version : Why is Steven Gerrard?

Pages : [1] 2

Angus
02/12/2008, 8:16 AM
Just back from my first Irons game of the season last night at Anfield against the Red Scousers.

Clearly a super result for us, and a few decent performances. The basic things we know about football keep coming back - decent keeper - decent cente halves - pace and strength up front - all go to a quality point for us.

But the reason for the post is Gerrard - clearly a maginficient striker of the ball and a talisman figure for Liverpool - but I am sorry, he is a crap midfielder.

He never wants the ball - when he gets it he has 2 instincts - to shoot from 40 yards (admittedly with a decent success rate) or to spray it 75 yards cross field. The latter regularly fails so he simply gives it away. Time after time last night, a Pool full back had it, gave it to Hyppia and took it back - and time after time "the best midfielder in the world" was running the opposite way not interested in creating and owning the play

It is almost like the Hairdresser at Man U - a total luxury player, who admittedly pops up with something spectacular - but can we please drop the pretense that this guy is a midfielder - he is a striker.

EAFC_rdfl
02/12/2008, 8:22 AM
nice to see him try to con the ref for another injury time penalty last night, should have been booked for that dive IMO

Red4Eva
02/12/2008, 8:36 AM
i think he's a right back. the reason liverpool were so poor was because xabi alonso had to be the midfield by himself. gerrard contributes nothing around the middle of the park. alonso has to drop to pick it up off defenders and ends having to look for a spray out to riera because he has noone with him in the centre. i'd say benitez rues the day stevie changed his mind about going to chelsea

shakermaker1982
02/12/2008, 8:58 AM
It is almost like the Hairdresser at Man U - a total luxury player, who admittedly pops up with something spectacular - but can we please drop the pretense that this guy is a midfielder - he is a striker.

who is this hairdresser you refer to? :confused:

lionelhutz
02/12/2008, 9:59 AM
i think he's a right back. the reason liverpool were so poor was because xabi alonso had to be the midfield by himself. gerrard contributes nothing around the middle of the park. alonso has to drop to pick it up off defenders and ends having to look for a spray out to riera because he has noone with him in the centre. i'd say benitez rues the day stevie changed his mind about going to chelsea

Thats a little overboard to say the least but I have to agree he's not a good midfielder in the traditional sense. He doesnt drop deep to collect the ball and dictate the play.

However, he's excellent playing just off Torres and I think Liverpool can win the title if Benitez plays the following team barring injury and suspension;
Reina

Arbeloa Agger Carragher (whoever you want)

Kuyt Mascherano Alonso Riera

Gerrard

Torres

Red4Eva
02/12/2008, 11:01 AM
Thats a little overboard to say the least.....

I think benitez would rather have the £45 million(or however much it was) than Gerrard but I will agree that Gerrard linked up very well with Torres in the 2nd half of last season.

DeLorean
02/12/2008, 11:10 AM
Thats a little overboard to say the least but I have to agree he's not a good midfielder in the traditional sense. He doesnt drop deep to collect the ball and dictate the play.

However, he's excellent playing just off Torres and I think Liverpool can win the title if Benitez plays the following team barring injury and suspension;
Reina

Kuyt Mascherano Alonso Riera

Gerrard

Torres

Bye bye Robbie so!! I'd probably have Aurelio left back cos that Dossena looks awful. To be honest when Sketel comes back I'd play Agger left back I think. Arbeloa is rubbish as well but no options there really. I know it's early days but Riera looks a bad player, he gives them width cos he hogs the touchline but he can't cross the ball to save his life. Babel is a far better player, that said I think this is their best team....

Reina

Arbeloa-Carragher-Skertel-Agger

Gerrard-Mascherano-Alonso-Babel

Keane

Torres

Still wouldn't win the lge cos it's very simple, United and Chelsea are far superior. You don't win lges with Kuyt, Arbeloa, Aurelio/Dossena. Absolutely no bench either.

Angus
02/12/2008, 12:28 PM

Who could it possibly be ?

lionelhutz
02/12/2008, 1:46 PM
Bye bye Robbie so!! I'd probably have Aurelio left back cos that Dossena looks awful. To be honest when Sketel comes back I'd play Agger left back I think. Arbeloa is rubbish as well but no options there really. I know it's early days but Riera looks a bad player, he gives them width cos he hogs the touchline but he can't cross the ball to save his life. Babel is a far better player, that said I think this is their best team....

Reina

Arbeloa-Carragher-Skertel-Agger

Gerrard-Mascherano-Alonso-Babel

Keane

Torres

Still wouldn't win the lge cos it's very simple, United and Chelsea are far superior. You don't win lges with Kuyt, Arbeloa, Aurelio/Dossena. Absolutely no bench either.

I agree mostly. I couldn't believe he started Benayoun instead of Babel last night, Benayoun is a nothing player while Babel will always give something to the game. I wouldn't mind seeing Gerrard play wide right with Keane behind Torres, but I still think Gerrard is much more effective in a free role behind Torres.

I used to be of the same opinion on Arbeloa, but I think he's been very good this season of what I've seen of him. He's been solid enough and offers an outlet going forward.

Riera started very well for Liverpool but has faded in the last few games, but he deserves a bit more time before any judgement is made, just like Keane.

DeLorean
02/12/2008, 1:59 PM
Ya that's true, I remember Pires was crap in his first season at Arsenal and turned out to be a fine signing for them. Still don't think it's fair on Babel though when he's done more to justify a starting place imo. There's no doubt Gerrard's best position is behind the front man but I think there would be more quality on the pitch with him playing out wide and Kuyt gettin dropped. I thought Arbeloa looked like a decent player at one stage, remember him doing very well on Messi in one match, he looks poor anytime I've seen him in the past yr or so. He's still better than the 2 fighting it out for left back though.

rambler14
02/12/2008, 3:27 PM
Very Selfish player, infact i'd go as far to say that he is the most selfish midfielder in the premiership.
When things arn't going right (like last night vs West Ham), Gerrard takes things upon himself and starts shooting from absolutely EVERYWHERE when there are clearly better options on. He becomes reluctant to pass and tries to do it all himself.
Actually Stan Collymore (Good pundit despite his eh.............history!:D) raised that very point on Football Matters last night and it made perfect sense. Gerrard got slated by he Liverpool fans in the studio and by the rest of the panel too.
Even todays papers have said it was his worst ever game in a Liverpool shirt!

John83
02/12/2008, 4:10 PM
...I think Liverpool can win the title if Benitez plays the following team barring injury and suspension;
Reina

I don't know about that. I've seen Poor Student play left back...

dfx-
02/12/2008, 5:05 PM
And yet if Benitez dares play him anywhere but central midfield, out come the pundits and the journalists.

He doesn't have the talent, mentality or discipline for it - he did, but not for the last few years.

sligofan4ever
02/12/2008, 5:55 PM
I agree mostly. I couldn't believe he started Benayoun instead of Babel last night, Benayoun is a nothing player while Babel will always give something to the game. I wouldn't mind seeing Gerrard play wide right with Keane behind Torres, but I still think Gerrard is much more effective in a free role behind Torres.

I used to be of the same opinion on Arbeloa, but I think he's been very good this season of what I've seen of him. He's been solid enough and offers an outlet going forward.

Riera started very well for Liverpool but has faded in the last few games, but he deserves a bit more time before any judgement is made, just like Keane.

Benitez played Gerrard out right wing about a season or 2 ago for a while, it was a disaster decision, Gerrard isn't born to be a winger, no doubt he's a quality attacking midfelder though.

By the looks of things its bye,bye keane by the end of the season, payed far too much for him. Infact they payed more for Keane than they could have for Gareth Barry. Its weird though, they say they couldn't come up with 18 million for a player they were tracking all summer yet, they sign a player for 19-20 million who they were after for about 2 or 3 weeks!.

Kingdom
02/12/2008, 11:04 PM
Benitez played Gerrard out right wing about a season or 2 ago for a while, it was a disaster decision, Gerrard isn't born to be a winger, no doubt he's a quality attacking midfelder though.

By the looks of things its bye,bye keane by the end of the season, payed far too much for him. Infact they payed more for Keane than they could have for Gareth Barry. Its weird though, they say they couldn't come up with 18 million for a player they were tracking all summer yet, they sign a player for 19-20 million who they were after for about 2 or 3 weeks!.

I think its understood that Keane was agreed to be signed around May (definitely before the season ended anyway) despite the protestations from Levy at Spurs.

I don't rate Gerrard at all. If he wasn't scouse he wouldn't be half as revered as he is by the kop. I agree with the point made earlier that Benetiz would have been far happier for him to have signed for Chelsea back in the day.

As for Liverpool's best team, currently, you couldn't leave Kuyt out of it, he's been excellent for Liverpool this season. Alonso has been player of the year, but Dirk has followed up a good Euro08 with a fine start.
Personally I'd go with this myself
Reina
Arbeloa
Fabio Aurelio
Skrtel
Carragher
Kuyt
Alonso
Mascherano
Reira/Babel
Gerrard
Torres.

shakermaker1982
03/12/2008, 7:35 AM
Who could it possibly be ?

if your referring to Ronaldo and think he's a 'total luxury player' then you need to watch Man Utd a little more closely. Everything that is good about United from an attacking sense stems from Ronaldo. He's won them two league titles and putting Gerrard in the same category is a bit of a joke.

Angus
03/12/2008, 7:50 AM
if your referring to Ronaldo and think he's a 'total luxury player' then you need to watch Man Utd a little more closely. Everything that is good about United from an attacking sense stems from Ronaldo. He's won them two league titles and putting Gerrard in the same category is a bit of a joke.

I may have said it badly - where I was going is that both SG and CR can be match winners, but also have the tendency, or even the licence, to go missing for periods of games. I can see why CR can do it, because there is no pretense that he dominates games - he is a top class finisher - on the flip side SG is supposed to be a centre midfielder who dominates the tempo etc

I have only seen Ronaldo once in the flesh, at Upton Park 2 seasons ago (WH won 1-0 Curbs first game) and while CR was pretty good, it looked to me like Rooney and Carrick (yes, that bloke) were the most creative and the most dangerous - clearly that is only one game and it is difficult to assess anything on the TV in the other games (having said that Steve McManaman spent the entire of Monday night turned away from the pitch)

CR was a goal machine last year but what I mena by "luxury" is that he does not have to perform for 90 minutes - it is not a bad thing - it is just a thing

brianw82
04/12/2008, 3:32 PM
Stan Collymore (Good pundit despite his eh.............history!:D)

Sorry for going OT but Collywobbles is BY FAR the most annoying co-commentator ever. He just never shuts up!

sadloserkid
09/12/2008, 10:52 AM

Can only be Vidic surely...

And Gerrard is an impact player at best, there's been a lot of good points made about him in this thread. But, to those who write the stories, he plays for England so... :rolleyes:

Morbo
09/12/2008, 5:18 PM
Can't stand Gerrard tbh, he is more annoying than CR in some ways in that not only is he a cheat but he is a hypocrite. Unfortunately I have to agree Pools best XI is probably Gerard in the hole with Alonso and Mascherano behind him although against weaker teams I think they are better off dropping a holding midfielder and playing Keane, best thing for Ireland would be for Gerard to break a leg or something, failing that a return to Spurs is probably the best option for Keane.

cartman
11/12/2008, 2:54 AM

its probably the 1st time i have been embarrassed for someone on this forum - what a ridiculous statement..
gerrard played wide right for liverpool for the whole season about 3years ago, maybe 4... he was sensational, and it was liverpools best points finish in the premiership in a long time.. i think wide right and even full back are perfect for him..

he is not, and never has been a central midfielder... he will do a decent job behind the front man aswell..

if i was picking a premiership 11 - i would gerrard right full and right wing if possible :-)

Uncle_Joe
11/12/2008, 2:04 PM
Some of his best bits
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=uVb2gbMtN3I

Angus
21/12/2008, 7:22 PM
Anybody see that disgraceful dive when Gallas went within 10 yards of him just outside the area ?

The man is a spoofer and it just p*sses me off that he gets away with it

Splurge
21/12/2008, 8:39 PM
Anybody see that disgraceful dive when Gallas went within 10 yards of him just outside the area ?
The man is a spoofer and it just p*sses me off that he gets away with it

yep, late in a game when they're chasing a game you can expect Gerrard to do his trademark run into the box and fall over a defender trick.

rambler14
21/12/2008, 11:01 PM
He's a joke simple as!

I was expecting him to get man of the match. He usually gets it when it's a crap game and he does nothing!

lionelhutz
22/12/2008, 1:48 PM
Ya he was fairly anonymous yesterday. It really annoys me when commentators and analysts join in the media hype and say "If Gerrard doesnt play well, Liverpool don't play well" after Liverpool have a bad result. Absoulte crap. Alonso pulls the strings with Liverpool and anyone who has any knowledge of football knows that.

Angus
31/12/2008, 11:14 PM
I don't know, and don't care much about the details but what in the name of all that is holy, what this guy doing out at 2 in the morning when he is allegedley a pro - is he entitled to do so ? Yes. Was he probably wound up ? yes

But don't put yourself in the position - clown

Noelys Guitar
31/12/2008, 11:29 PM
I don't know, and don't care much about the details but what in the name of all that is holy, what this guy doing out at 2 in the morning when he is allegedley a pro - is he entitled to do so ? Yes. Was he probably wound up ? yes

Allegedly he wanted the DJ to play Phill Collins. Surely a criminal offense deserving of a long stretch.

brianw82
01/01/2009, 7:48 AM

The players had Monday and Tuesday off, back in training on Wednesday morning. Why shouldn't he go out? People tend to forget that footballers are young men at the end of the day, and like to go to clubs etc like everyone else.
Although you do have to wonder what it is about Irish/UK society that makes people so aggressive when they've a few drinks taken. Was in Prague before Christmas and they find this behaviour very odd.

Angus
01/01/2009, 8:14 PM
The players had Monday and Tuesday off, back in training on Wednesday morning. Why shouldn't he go out? People tend to forget that footballers are young men at the end of the day, and like to go to clubs etc like everyone else.
Although you do have to wonder what it is about Irish/UK society that makes people so aggressive when they've a few drinks taken. Was in Prague before Christmas and they find this behaviour very odd.

I think you have hit the nail on the head - why shouldn't he ? Aboslutely no reason other than he is prone to putting himself in this position where idiots will take a pop at him - any famous person, uber wealthy in that somewhat working class part of the world (I spent a few days in southport and it is a mixture of stockbrokers and working class areas) is going to attract attention and he will put himself in the position - it is not that he should not go out - it is that it is unwise

osarusan
01/01/2009, 8:48 PM
I think it is funny the amount of support he is getting. I can understand the view of Benitez and anybody involved in LFC, because they will want to protect a valuable commodity, but you have PFA chief Gordon Taylor saying "I don't know the full details but as the players' union we would want to be supportive of him."
How can you support him if you don't know what he may have done? What if it turns out (for example, and for example only) he kicked somebody in the head until they became unconscious, will everybody still "support" him then?

Red&White Rover
01/01/2009, 8:54 PM
Why isn't there people calling for him to be banned, like they were when Woodgate and Bowyer were being charged...

papa-j
02/01/2009, 10:17 AM
Why isn't there people calling for him to be banned, like they were when Woodgate and Bowyer were being charged...

Because some people have the common sense to wait for the facts of what happended to be made public before jumping to conclusions.

Lionel Ritchie
02/01/2009, 10:23 AM

...that crossed my mind as well. It was wrong then and it'd be wrong now. Perhaps some collective awakening as to the meaning of the term 'due process' has taken place but frankly I doubt it.

Because some people have the common sense to wait for the facts of what happended to be made public before jumping to conclusions. Facts-schmacts. There were calls for Leeds United to drop Bowyer and Woodgate before they'd even been charged with anything much less tried.

papa-j
02/01/2009, 11:00 AM
[QUOTE=Lionel Ritchie;1080310]...that crossed my mind as well. It was wrong then and it'd be wrong now. Perhaps some collective awakening as to the meaning of the term 'due process' has taken place but frankly I doubt it.

Facts-schmacts. There were calls for Leeds United to drop Bowyer and Woodgate before they'd even been charged with anything much less tried.[/QUOT

doesn't matter. Gerard will be given the benefit of the doubt. Even if he is charged with affray he'll get a slap on the wrist, a fine and maybe some community service. His previous good record guarantees that. Just like any Joe Soap who acts out of character in an isolated incident.

Poor Student
02/01/2009, 5:00 PM
I don't know about that. I've seen Poor Student play left back...

Harsh......but fair.:eek:

stojkovic
02/01/2009, 7:24 PM
Ya he was fairly anonymous yesterday. It really annoys me when commentators and analysts join in the media hype and say "If Gerrard doesnt play well, Liverpool don't play well" after Liverpool have a bad result. Absoulte crap. Alonso pulls the strings with Liverpool and anyone who has any knowledge of football knows that.

I totally agree.

rambler14
02/01/2009, 8:54 PM

I would also agree with that.

Red&White Rover
04/01/2009, 3:46 PM
Because some people have the common sense to wait for the facts of what happended to be made public before jumping to conclusions.

My point exactly, yet why were they condemning the two Leeds lads from the start? And not Gerrard:confused:

old git
05/01/2009, 9:32 AM
My point exactly, yet why were they condemning the two Leeds lads from the start? And not Gerrard:confused:

because gerrard is a goldenboy to the english media at the moment and seen as a vital part of english team unlike the woodgate & bowyer at the time and they don't want to see him in any serious trouble ... personally me thinks he not in the same league as that scumbag bowyer and will get a slap on the wrist from legal system and the dj will receive a nice little brown envelope from mr gerrard to cover his doctors expenses.. :D

Den Perry
05/01/2009, 1:21 PM
In fairness it wasn't that serious, it could have been "murder on the dancefloor...."

papa-j
05/01/2009, 3:19 PM
In fairness it wasn't that serious, it could have been "murder on the dancefloor...."

or "message in a bottle" - pity they had to smash it off his head to get the message:)

old git
05/01/2009, 4:15 PM
or "message in a bottle" - pity they had to smash it off his head to get the message:)

definatly not "love in this club by usher " :D:D

Noelys Guitar
05/01/2009, 9:00 PM
definatly not "love in this club by usher " :D:D

"Ballroom Blitz" but not very "sweet".

On The Ball
05/01/2009, 11:21 PM
I know they got away with it but their mate didn't,he got 7 years i think so i don't think they were totally innocent either.Perhaps money does talk.

Angus
06/01/2009, 7:36 AM
I know they got away with it but their mate didn't,he got 7 years i think so i don't think they were totally innocent either.Perhaps money does talk.

In the legal system ? I think that is the most scandalous accusation ever raised on this entire forum, probably even on the entire interweb.

That the justice system is skewed or biased towards the rich and famous is, quite frankly, an appalling vista.

Adam, immediate suspension required, I fancy.

On The Ball
06/01/2009, 10:54 PM
In the legal system ? I think that is the most scandalous accusation ever raised on this entire forum, probably even on the entire interweb.

That the justice system is skewed or biased towards the rich and famous is, quite frankly, an appalling vista.

Adam, immediate suspension required, I fancy.
I think i'll stand by my original statement and take my chances.

Den Perry
07/01/2009, 12:47 PM
"Ballroom Blitz" but not very "sweet".

"and then the punches flew, and chairs were smashed in two...."

ken foree
07/01/2009, 2:10 PM
I think i'll stand by my original statement and take my chances.

i think the sarcasm smiley is missing! :)

Uncle_Joe
03/02/2009, 12:39 PM
Another 10.0 dive on Sunday. A great player but what a hypocrite