PDA

View Full Version : Our away support

Colm
01/11/2003, 2:00 PM
I think last night proved, once and for all, that we have by far the best away support in the league.
We had 150 people standing and chanting plus at least another 50 sitting down around the place.
We had more colour than I've seen from any other sets of fans... the big waveys, the banners, the big jersey etc.
We made more noise than I've heard from any other clubs away support. This was reflected in Mark McCadden's match report in todays Star, it reads "the impressively vocal Cork fans".

No doubt, despite all the evidence, we'll still have a few deluded Dubs trying to convince us that their support is as good or better.:rolleyes:

The away support is getting better and better all the time. Credit to Ian for running the buses and also to all those who are driving to the games. It's not easy having to travel as regularly as we do. Long may it continue.

REBEL ARMY.:ball: :)

Neil
01/11/2003, 2:40 PM
I think number wise City's away support is just about equal to the average you get from the likes of Bohs, Pats, Shams, etc. but what makes it more impressive is that City fans have to go to Dublin to away games at least once/usually twice a month, whereas the Dub club fans only have Cork, Waterford and Derry as "real" away trips in a season.

It's hilarious over on the Shams message board... They were discussing why there is always such a poor "travelling" Shams support at UCD "away" games.... One fella put's it down to the fact that
"Befield is not that easy to get to i suppose" :rolleyes:

Try getting there from Cork. And try getting to Dublin for games every other week.

I dunno.

tiktok
01/11/2003, 7:29 PM
Great show by the city fans last night alright.
I thought there was slightly more than 150 about, good few sitting down about the place.
I'm still finding confetti (i wonder do Bohs pay their bin charges??;) )

dcnags
01/11/2003, 9:10 PM
Great support from city fans, great colour noise craic etc but the result was ****e.Bohs support was terrible though for second in the league playing an attractive home match i would think.I suppose most of them were setting off the fireworks in the background :rolleyes:

Somehow a load of that confetti made its way into my cast and i have been scratching it with a ruler all day

Éanna
03/11/2003, 12:36 PM
yeah well done to all involved. bohs support was really pathetic- big club my ********

NorthoftheLee
03/11/2003, 3:15 PM
great atmosphere in the city crowd on friday nite...good laugh.....that confetti is still showing up everywhere :D

well sound of Bohs to agree to delay the kick off.....that was some long journey up.......

niamh
03/11/2003, 3:24 PM
Was that the reason ko was delayed??
City's away support has been second to
none this season, even compared to
last season.

James
03/11/2003, 3:37 PM
Originally posted by niamh
Was that the reason ko was delayed??.

talk to ian :cool: :D ;)

thecorner
03/11/2003, 6:11 PM
Originally posted by niamh
Was that the reason ko was delayed??

bad crash on the road
the bus wouldnt have made kick off

Colm
03/11/2003, 8:06 PM
Originally posted by thecorner
bad crash on the road

Along with a major road works and a broken down truck. All of that on top of the usual friday evening traffic. It took us nearly 6 hours to get to Dublin!

Fair play to Pat Dolan for getting the kick off delayed for us.

thecorner
03/11/2003, 8:55 PM
Originally posted by Colm
Along with a major road works and a broken down truck. All of that on top of the usual friday evening traffic. It took us nearly 6 hours to get to Dublin!

Fair play to Pat Dolan for getting the kick off delayed for us.

barely had the time to finish my pint in urlingford:mad:

niamh
03/11/2003, 9:12 PM
Ah kewl and fair dues to Bohs then.
They're not as bad as you all non-Dublin
living people think you know!!

- Dubs that is.

Dr.Nightdub
03/11/2003, 10:10 PM
Why is it you lot are the only ones who whinge about having to go a distance to support your team? Derry, Longford and Waterford fans all seem to be able to travel to away matches without having perpetual hissy fits.

Posted this earlier on the Bohs MB:

As a football fan, you have two potential scenarios of a Friday:

1. Crawl across town on a muggy Dublin Bus doubledecker with that weird boiled celery smell when the narky cúnt of a driver turns on the heater, the windows all steamed up and the combined condensation from seventy-six fetid lumps of soggy humanity coagulating into an oily puddle just where you'd naturally lean your elbow (and that's if you're lucky enough to get a seat), lurching a couple of feet every ten minutes 'cos some ignorant culchie fúcker has parked in the bus lane, stuck in Friday rush-hour traffic for so long that you could've walked there quicker but because you're trapped in this cattlecar your bladder becomes the only thing in the whole universe occupying your attention and you've to cross your legs so hard the only way you're ever gonna p1ss again is by Caesarean section, and you STILL only get to the ground ten minutes after kick-off and too late for a pint.

Or...

2. Sit on a spacious, comfortable, air-conditioned luxury coach with video, on-board toilet, cans, dancing girls, the works, for a gentle cruise up the motorway against the traffic.

Yeah, away matches are rough on Cork fans.

razor
04/11/2003, 8:17 AM
Originally posted by Dr.Nightdub
dancing girls

Tis no wonder ye were late so. ;)

Macy
04/11/2003, 8:55 AM
Doc - you missed the third alternative which is hop a maxi, get hit by the same jams as the bus, but be charged more than a return coach up from Longford to get a few miles across the city.......

Dodge
04/11/2003, 9:28 AM
All these arguements are ridiculous. :rolleyes:

SÓC
04/11/2003, 9:38 AM

1. Crawl across town on a muggy Dublin Bus doubledecker with that weird boiled celery smell when the narky cúnt of a driver turns on the heater, the windows all steamed up and the combined condensation from seventy-six fetid lumps of soggy humanity coagulating into an oily puddle just where you'd naturally lean your elbow (and that's if you're lucky enough to get a seat), lurching a couple of feet every ten minutes 'cos some ignorant culchie fúcker has parked in the bus lane, stuck in Friday rush-hour traffic for so long that you could've walked there quicker but because you're trapped in this cattlecar your bladder becomes the only thing in the whole universe occupying your attention and you've to cross your legs so hard the only way you're ever gonna p1ss again is by Caesarean section, and you STILL only get to the ground ten minutes after kick-off and too late for a pint.

Or...

2. Sit on a spacious, comfortable, air-conditioned luxury coach with video, on-board toilet, cans, dancing girls, the works, for a gentle cruise up the motorway against the traffic.

Lets see number one takes 50 minutes and costs €1.40

Number two takes 5/6 hours and costs €30.

I suppose the dancing girls do make the trip seem shorter.

ccfc till i die
04/11/2003, 12:37 PM
Why is it you lot are the only ones who whinge about having to go a distance to support your team? Derry, Longford and Waterford fans all seem to be able to travel to away matches without having perpetual hissy fits.

Or...

Well maybe we complain because we're the only ones who have our away support criticised. And what's more it's being criticised by part time muppet supporters whose club's away support looks **** compared to ours.

Macy
04/11/2003, 12:57 PM
Originally posted by ccfc till i die
Well maybe we complain because we're the only ones who have our away support criticised. And what's more it's being criticised by part time muppet supporters whose club's away support looks **** compared to ours.
The only reason your away support is criticised is because you start threads like this!!!! If you'd just shut up and get on with it you'd end up getting credit when it's due and far less sh!t the rest of the time.....

joe
04/11/2003, 1:00 PM
I'm getting sick and tired of the bitching between City fans and other clubs on here so if this thread goes down the road of previous ones it will be locked

Ozymandias
04/11/2003, 1:56 PM
nice one Joe..........lock it away for good in room 101

take the rovers supporters with it if ya like as well

ccfc till i die
05/11/2003, 10:11 AM
Originally posted by Macy
The only reason your away support is criticised is because you start threads like this!!!! If you'd just shut up and get on with it you'd end up getting credit when it's due and far less sh!t the rest of the time.....

Wrong way around there macy, the only reason we start threads like this is because our away support is criticised.

Dodge
05/11/2003, 10:31 AM
Originally posted by ccfc till i die
Wrong way around there macy, the only reason we start threads like this is because our away support is criticised.
No its because you are obsessed with crowds...

Stupid thread...

patsh
05/11/2003, 10:44 AM
Originally posted by Dodge
No its because you are obsessed
Take it from somone who knows......:rolleyes:

Éanna
05/11/2003, 11:51 AM
Originally posted by joe
I'm getting sick and tired of the bitching between City fans and other clubs on here so if this thread goes down the road of previous ones it will be locked
spot on. who cares who started it and who finished it. we KNOW how good our away support is, so why should we give a flying **** what the dubs think?

wws
05/11/2003, 11:55 AM
heard your home support took a tumbling last nite - have you gone too far down the road as Ireland's greatest away travvellers that you've forgotten about the homefront?

Dolan's not happy from the quotes. Get behind the team and stop moaning cork!

Gary
05/11/2003, 12:53 PM
Originally posted by wws
heard your home support took a tumbling last nite - have you gone too far down the road as Ireland's greatest away travvellers that you've forgotten about the homefront?

That was a joke alright. Okay it was raining badly, but what other excuse was there? Some poxy Man U and Rangers match.

What i actually fing amusing about the whole thing is that last night was our worst attendance in 2 seasons, yet Shels/Bohs/Pats/Rovers would have been delighted had they got that amount on a regular basis!

Anyway, merge all the dublin teams!

wws
05/11/2003, 12:57 PM
its true but is there the exuse for the change from the fortress turners cross under your last excellent boss into a handy place to pick up points for all comers merely down to your falling crowds at home?

Gary
05/11/2003, 3:39 PM
Thats rubbish wws infairness. LM wasnt an exceleent boss. He is an excellent talent scout, but thats it.

As for our results down, Crowds down, i would also disagree, as you will see that we will have 4500+ again on Friday (weather pending :rolleyes: ).

Éanna
05/11/2003, 4:17 PM
Originally posted by wws
its true but is there the exuse for the change from the fortress turners cross under your last excellent boss into a handy place to pick up points for all comers merely down to your falling crowds at home?
I think that has more to do with teams being more used to flynn and o'callaghan this season than last than anything else. Last season teams saw that we were an average side with a poor manager and decided to have a go, and flynn's pace destroyed them for it. this season teams have realised that sitting deep and hitting us on the counter is the way to go- e.g. pats 2-0 win at the cross, the ultimate smash and grab