PDA

View Full Version : Wi-fi pubs in Dublin

Pauro 76
01/12/2008, 10:06 AM
Im going to be home for two weeks over Christmas. Im thinking of bringing over my MacBook for the Christmas, but I know I will get screwed on roaming charges. I was wondering if many pubs in Dublin while Im there have embraced the revolution and installed wi-fi?

Dodge
01/12/2008, 10:10 AM
A good amount of pubs in Dublin city centre have wi fi. You might need an eircom password for it though

Pauro 76
01/12/2008, 10:21 AM
A good amount of pubs in Dublin city centre have wi fi. You might need an eircom password for it though

Only my first year with a laptop so wasnt sure about wi-fi before. Not with Eircom though but wouldnt they give you a password for their connection anyway?

monutdfc
01/12/2008, 10:39 AM
Dublin City Council libraries have free WiFi

noby
01/12/2008, 10:43 AM
Dublin City Council libraries have free WiFi

...but no booze.

paul_oshea
01/12/2008, 12:36 PM
Why would you want to go to a pub with a laptop anyway?!

Pauro 76
01/12/2008, 1:28 PM
Why would you want to go to a pub with a laptop anyway?!

Why not? Plenty of people do it and I'd get crippled with roaming rates with UK mobile broadband connection. I can go on as long as I like and some of those internet cafes are a pure rip-off.

paul_oshea
01/12/2008, 3:11 PM
would ye not have better things to be doing for your christmas break than going to a pub in dublin on a wi-fi?

Going to a pub on an 8 day session is usually all most people do(the ones i know at least)!!!

OneRedArmy
01/12/2008, 4:01 PM
Try Bitbuzz website, they do a lot of pubs (Thomas Reid Group, although it might be cut off soon!) and Eircom as mentioned above. If you know someone who has Eircom broadband at home they will be able to give you free login details for all Eircom hotspots.

Boingo are also a good aggregator of different third party providers.

Pauro 76
01/12/2008, 5:50 PM
would ye not have better things to be doing for your christmas break than going to a pub in dublin on a wi-fi?

Going to a pub on an 8 day session is usually all most people do(the ones i know at least)!!!

I've a few free hours before heading back to Longford. Wi-fi is always a handy way to keep in touch when im away so why not? Along with a few pints.

thischarmingman
01/12/2008, 5:51 PM
The Bernard Shaw has free wi-fi, or used to anyway.

holidaysong
01/12/2008, 7:26 PM
The Bernard Shaw has free wi-fi, or used to anyway.

It still had it two months ago when I was last there.

elroy
02/12/2008, 3:46 PM
Try Bitbuzz website, they do a lot of pubs (Thomas Reid Group, although it might be cut off soon!) and Eircom as mentioned above. If you know someone who has Eircom broadband at home they will be able to give you free login details for all Eircom hotspots.

Boingo are also a good aggregator of different third party providers.

ya bitbuzz is your best bet, used it in a few pubs, i know kielys in donnybrook have it.....fairly slow though.

paul_oshea
10/12/2008, 12:38 PM
get one of these and you will have no worries pauro:

http://www.firebox.com/product/2058/Wi-Fi-Detecting-T-Shirt

Pauro 76
10/12/2008, 1:48 PM
get one of these and you will have no worries pauro:

http://www.firebox.com/product/2058/Wi-Fi-Detecting-T-Shirt

Ha ha, that's a great one! :)