PDA

View Full Version : FA Cup 2008/09

HarpoJoyce
28/11/2008, 9:03 PM
Two 2nd round ties completed tonight.

Port Vale 1:3 Macclesfield

Barrow 2:1 Brentford
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/fa_cup/7741890.stm

The Barrow - Brentford result is just about a shock. Blue Square Premier beats a League Two side channeling for play-off at least. I suppose considering the SkySports website didn't have a crest for Barrow this evening, they may be considered outsiders.
http://www.skysports.com/football/match_facts/0,,11065_3085435,00.html

OwlsFan
01/12/2008, 10:00 AM
The once mighty Leeds knocked out by Histon. As one who remembers the era of Giles, Charlton, Bremner, Jones, Reaney etc etc. it is a timely reminder that it can happen to any club.

OwlsFan
03/01/2009, 4:53 PM
Hughes' job must be on a knive edge with that 0-3 home defeat by Notts Forest. Chelsea also held at home by Southend.

Noelys Guitar
03/01/2009, 7:55 PM
Watched the Newcastle v Hull game. Good match. Given was excellent. Duff poor. Owen missed two excellent chances (mind elsewhere!)

sligoman
04/01/2009, 2:41 PM
Liverpool v Everton
Southampton/Man Utd v Tottenham
Hull/Newcastle v Millwall/Crewe
Sunderland v Blyth/Blackburn
Hartlepool v West Ham
Leyton Orient/Sheff Utd v Charlton/Norwich
Cardiff v Arsenal
Portsmouth/Bristol City v Histon/Swansea
Chelsea/Southend v Ipswich
Cheltenham/Doncaster v Aston Villa
West Brom/Peterborough v QPR/Burnley
Torquay v Coventry
Kettering Town v Fulham
Watford v Leicester/Crystal Palace
Derby County v Nottingham Forest
Birmingham City/Wolves v Middlesbrough

To be played Jan 24th/25th.

old git
05/01/2009, 11:07 AM
Liverpool v Everton
Southampton/Man Utd v Tottenham
Hull/Newcastle v Millwall/Crewe
Sunderland v Blyth/Blackburn
Hartlepool v West Ham
Leyton Orient/Sheff Utd v Charlton/Norwich
Cardiff v Arsenal
Portsmouth/Bristol City v Histon/Swansea
Chelsea/Southend v Ipswich
Cheltenham/Doncaster v Aston Villa
West Brom/Peterborough v QPR/Burnley
Torquay v Coventry
Kettering Town v Fulham
Watford v Leicester/Crystal Palace
Derby County v Nottingham Forest
Birmingham City/Wolves v Middlesbrough

To be played Jan 24th/25th.

some tasty looking games here .. liverpool v everton / utd v spurs
but tie of the round could be derby v notts forest bitter midland rivals and added fuel notts forest now being managed by billy davies ex derby manager who got them up to preimership not so long ago.. :ball:

OwlsFan
25/01/2009, 9:01 PM
FA Cup fifth-round draw:

Sheff Utd v Hull
Watford v Chelsea
West Ham v Middlesbrough
Sunderland/ Blackburn v Coventry
Derby/ Nottm Forest v Man Utd
Swansea v Fulham
Liverpool/ Everton v Doncaster/ Aston Villa
Cardiff/ Arsenal v West Brom/ Burnley

OwlsFan
16/02/2009, 2:27 PM
Hmmm, not too many of those predictions looking good but we'll see after the replays. Let's try the next round:

FA Cup sixth-round draw:

Blackburn Rovers or Coventry City v Chelsea

Swansea City or Fulham v Manchester United

Cardiff City/Arsenal/Burnley v Sheffield United or Hull City

Everton v West Ham United or Middlesbrough

So despite the FA Cup being well down the pecking order of priorities, 3 of the big 4 may be in the semis accompanied by another Premiership team.

Sligo Hornet
16/02/2009, 2:47 PM
Hmmm, not too many of those predictions looking good but we'll see after the replays. Let's try the next round:

FA Cup sixth-round draw:

So despite the FA Cup being well down the pecking order of priorities, 3 of the big 4 may be in the semis accompanied by another Premiership team.

You can't help yourself Owlsy can you;)

DeLorean
16/02/2009, 3:30 PM

FA Cup sixth-round draw:

Possibly the most boring draw in the history of draws. Should make for good semies though all going according to plan.

OwlsFan
17/02/2009, 9:14 AM
Possibly the most boring draw in the history of draws. Should make for good semies though all going according to plan.

Not really. The FA Cup is supposed to be about the "minnows" versus the Big Boys and that's what the draw threw up, apart from the last tie which is minnows vs minnows ;)

Hornet, let's see who flies high after this round and who comes crashing to earth.

DeLorean
17/02/2009, 9:47 AM
Not really. The FA Cup is supposed to be about the "minnows" versus the Big Boys and that's what the draw threw up, apart from the last tie which is minnows vs minnows ;)

Hornet, let's see who flies high after this round and who comes crashing to earth.

Ya but if it works out as expected it'll be:
Blackburn v Chelsea
Fulham v Man Utd
Arsenal v Hull
Everton v Boro/West Ham

8 PL teams, hardly minnows.

OwlsFan
17/02/2009, 1:29 PM
Ya but if it works out as expected it'll be:
Blackburn v Chelsea
Fulham v Man Utd
Arsenal v Hull
Everton v Boro/West Ham

8 PL teams, hardly minnows.

Relatively speaking some of them are.

iceman
17/02/2009, 5:14 PM
Anyone know when the arrangements for these games will be made?

OwlsFan
18/03/2009, 9:24 AM
Great game last night between Arsenal and Hull. Hull score first. After constant pressure, Arsenal equalise and then get a controversial winner (did it or did it not come off the goalie playing the Arsenal scorer onside). Throughout the game Arsene WHinger is moaning about Hull's delaying tactics and words are exchanged with Horton, Hull's assistant manager and we see Horton shaking his head. Whinger then has a scoffing expression at them when Arsenal take the lead and no hands are shook at the end of the game and Fabregas is accused of spitting at Horton at the end of the game. Great entertainment.

http://newsimg.bbc.co.uk/media/images/45577000/jpg/_45577072_cesc466credit.jpg

Arsenal vs Chelsea
Man United vs Everton

Excellent semi-final pairings. Just what the FA Cup needs.

OwlsFan
19/04/2009, 10:34 AM
Good comeback by Chelsea.

Can anyone tell me though where this fashion of taking off your jersey when you score comes from? I have seen my team (whichever) score many a last minute winner but I have never thought of taking off my top in celebration. Ok, I'll be the first to admit I don't have the physique of Drogba :o but what's with this taking off the shirt: "Oh I've scored! I must take off my shirt even though I'll be booked".

http://freekicker.files.wordpress.com/2008/03/drogba-celeb.jpg

Thanks be to God Irish fans don't follow suit. Imagine all those beer guts on display!

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_qoo5bH44yls/SP-KZn4eGCI/AAAAAAAABlw/CGAqxc5u1zQ/s400/beer+belly+01.jpg

Stuttgart88
19/04/2009, 12:46 PM
If Wenger had bought Given they'd be in the FA Cup Final.

Fabianski could derail Arsenal's season almost single handedly.

JC_GUFC
19/04/2009, 6:31 PM
Thanks be to God Irish fans don't follow suit. Imagine all those beer guts on display!

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_qoo5bH44yls/SP-KZn4eGCI/AAAAAAAABlw/CGAqxc5u1zQ/s400/beer+belly+01.jpg

Is that you?!?!?

strangeirish
19/04/2009, 7:55 PM

Is that you?!?!?
Andy Reid...

OwlsFan
20/04/2009, 9:57 AM
:D ^

No sympathy for Ferguson yesterday. Fielded a weakened side in an FA Cup semi-final and paid the price. Nice to see Everton getting through to the final, especially for the fans who have to live in the shadow of their Merseyside neighbour.

Perhaps Man U were entitled to a peno (but there was enough room for doubt) but who says they would have scored, judging by their poor performance in the shoot out - Berbatov in particular looked as if he would miss the minute he walked up to the ball.

hunt4the
20/04/2009, 11:30 AM
I was at the game yesterday and as a neutral I thought everton were very very poor, they're entire gameplan was too hoof the ball up to fellaini a tactic which vidic and ferdinand dealt with with ease, against a reserve manu team everton should of had a lot more to offer, it just shows the gulf between the top four and the rest. Chelsea should walk the Final imo.

OwlsFan
20/04/2009, 11:42 AM
Except things often don't work out the way we think they should in football. Chelsea may have eyes on an other final by the time the FA Cup Final comes round and even if they don't, Chelsea will find it hard to break down Everton.

I won't criticise Everton for the way they play. They got to the Final. That's all that matters for them. If Man U choose to play a 50% reserve side, they only have themselves to blame.

DeLorean
20/04/2009, 12:58 PM
I was at the game yesterday and as a neutral I thought everton were very very poor, they're entire gameplan was too hoof the ball up to fellaini a tactic which vidic and ferdinand dealt with with ease, against a reserve manu team everton should of had a lot more to offer, it just shows the gulf between the top four and the rest. Chelsea should walk the Final imo.

Everton had already played United twice in the league and competed very well. Drew 1-1 at Goodison and narrowly lost to a Ronaldo penalty at OT. They also drew with Liverpool at Anfield twice and beat them at Goodison as well as getting draws against Arsenal and Chelsea this season. They have a decent side with Lescott, Jagielka and Baines all outstanding defenders, better than Arsenals defenders in my opinion. The amount of big players missing this season has been cruel also- Arteta, Yakubu, Saha, etc. They have had by far the most difficult draws along the way as well so they are worthy finalists and haven't taken their eye off the ball in the PL despite playing practically the same 11 every match, credit where it's due.

Closed Account 2
20/04/2009, 2:41 PM
I think Everton did very well. They have no out and out strikers left with Saha and Vaughan clearly not fully fit and Yakubu and Anichebeout for good and Jo cup tied. Arteta, one of their best players and biggest goalscoring threat, is out for good too. They either had to option of playing kids against Man Utd (e.g. Baxter) or packing the midfield, keeping it tight and hoping Fellani and Cahill could get a lucky break off a set piece or error from Ferdinand and Vidic.

If they can get Saha and Vaughan back to full fitness then I expect them to be more dynamic in the final than yesterday. If you are a betting man have a few punts on Jo to be first scorer in the remaining league matches - I'd say he'll start in all of them and I think most of their other attacking players will be rested. They are definately in the UEFA Euro League next season now (even if they lose the FA Cup final and drop places in the league they could qualify as Cup Runners Up).

SkStu
20/04/2009, 4:17 PM
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-1161440/VIDEO-SPECIAL-Dont-worry-Berbatov-penalties-worse-United-flops-FA-Cup-miss.html

second miss is quality :D - reminds me of me in my prime.

'mon the toffees!!

old git
20/04/2009, 8:48 PM
:D ^

No sympathy for Ferguson yesterday. Fielded a weakened side in an FA Cup semi-final and paid the price. Nice to see Everton getting through to the final, especially for the fans who have to live in the shadow of their Merseyside neighbour.

Perhaps Man U were entitled to a peno (but there was enough room for doubt) but who says they would have scored, judging by their poor performance in the shoot out - Berbatov in particular looked as if he would miss the minute he walked up to the ball.

as a neutral utd fielding weakened team ruined the game before it started and i thought everton would be to strong for this utd team ... but will say i thought utd still played the better football and probally just deserved to win game so fergusons weakened team nearly paid off... we would have been on saying what a manager he is if they won the match . i was very disapointed that everton struggled to create any chances against a possible 3rd choice utd team and it was a definate penalty.. as for berbatov a good kick up the h**E he needs big time ..:ball:

OwlsFan
31/05/2009, 8:57 AM
I think Chelsea deserved it. They took the competition seriously from the beginning. The Liverpools and Arsenals who fielded weakened teams and won nothing must have looked on with envy. Apparently, when Hiddink took over, he received a delegation of fans who asked him to try and win the FA Cup.

Everton put up a good fight but were well beaten on the day. Much and all as I don't like some of the Chelsea players, the competition was won by the best team.

DeLorean
04/06/2009, 1:12 PM
I know I'm a bit behind the times here but does anyone else think Howard should have done better with Lampards goal?

OwlsFan
04/06/2009, 4:24 PM
When a keeper gets both hands to the shot, he generally should save it. So the answer is yes.

Den Perry
05/06/2009, 10:23 AM
I think Chelsea deserved it. They took the competition seriously from the beginning. The Liverpools and Arsenals who fielded weakened teams and won nothing must have looked on with envy. Apparently, when Hiddink took over, he received a delegation of fans who asked him to try and win the FA Cup.

Everton put up a good fight but were well beaten on the day. Much and all as I don't like some of the Chelsea players, the competition was won by the best team.

I agree. I don't particularly like Chelsea, but at least they took it seriously. FA Cup Final is one of the first matches that I rem seeing and I think its a tragedy that its losing its appeal among so many. This started when Man Ure went off to play in some cup a number of years back, but now the smaller clubs in prem are ruining it by fielding weakened teams. Remember back in 80's and 90's the likes of Brighton, Palace, West Ham,Watford and Coventry all got to finals. Pity some sort of penalty / points deduction for the likes of Phil Brown( who play weakened teams in the competition.(at least I think he did)

DeLorean
05/06/2009, 10:58 AM
This started when Man Ure went off to play in some cup a number of years back

At the request of the FA no less:confused:

DmanDmythDledge
05/06/2009, 9:02 PM
When a keeper gets both hands to the shot, he generally should save it. So the answer is yes.
I'm generally of the opposite opinion- at least definitely in this case. The shot was too powerful to be kept out, even with the keeper getting two hands to it.