PDA

View Full Version : fionan murray for city

bobcat
30/10/2003, 2:40 PM
I have been told by a good friend of mine that fionan murray will be signing for cork city for next season,he work's with murray and was told by murray that pat dolan called to his house last week and asked him to join up,now is this the sort of player we need,the guy play's AUL football,:mad:

fella
30/10/2003, 2:58 PM
The guy's a clown, I suppose if he can play that doesn't matter though. Is he any good though? Never heard anything soccer related about him. He's a good GAA player, very skillful just has a bad attitude.

Éanna
30/10/2003, 3:45 PM
Originally posted by Conor74
Fionan Murray
who the blazes is he?! Never even heard of him :confused:

NorthoftheLee
30/10/2003, 3:47 PM
he's that gaaa footballer who is always gettin sent off.......keep him away from our peno box is all i say;)

James
30/10/2003, 3:52 PM
he's also that Cork Senior Footballer who has a great knack of scoring goals :)

SÓC
30/10/2003, 3:53 PM
He's also a GAA player who's scored more goals than any other forward around in the past few years, he's gotten more goals than points. Very very fast and an excellent finisher.

Only problem would be he seems to enjoy seeing the colour red.

Éanna
30/10/2003, 3:58 PM
Originally posted by SÓCcfc
Very very fast and an excellent finisher.
Pass. We have one of them already!

vito_golightly
30/10/2003, 4:10 PM
Its hilarious the rumours that begin to circulate on here.

Mark Clifford was joining us yesterday - well, actually he has no intention but anyway...

Now today, some guy that works with Fionain says he was approached by Cork City.

Well I'm not able to authoratively dispute this latest claim but it should be considered that he is only recently back from America where he was playing Gaeilic Football so if he has been approached - well thats moving quickly!

As for him, I've played football (of the association type - none of that bogger sh!t...) with and against Murray and I can safely say he is THE most talented player I have ever come across in that fashion. The boy has a brain for it that I have never witnessed before or since. He is also a pioneer in applying his soccer (I hat that word but its to avoid confusion you understand...) mentality on the GAA pitch - I'm talking about his superb vision here. Unfortunately the physical aspect of gaelic has served to undermine that talent of his while also the uniquely GAA tactics of assigning markers to Murray that will get the expected reaction out of him has contributed to his minor fall i popularity.

Its easy to call him scum and a clown etc. (and I only had this argument with my father, mother, girlfriend and friend last Sunday night - all against me) but he is simply a genius and actually a nice bloke. Pure and simple.

OK he has made mistakes (loads) - one's which I find increasingly hard to defend but I made a prediction on Sunday night in the midst of that debate that in about 3 or 4 years time, Murray will be a hero in these parts. He is destined for greatness and I stand by that claim despite the sniggers of his detractors and the perils of such a bold prediction.

If I may wander to the darkside of GAA for a bit, I fully believe that Billy Morgan becoming manager of the County team could possibly be the past thing that happened to Fionain Murray. Morgan will NOT take his ****e. I mention this cos I also believe that by contrast, and I may be wrong, Pat Dolan would not be the best man for the job of harnessing the character of Fionain Murray.

But thats all pie in the sky talk.

Basically, Fionain is absolutely good enough to play for Cork City - no question and most of me hopes he does.

Most of me also doubts that this will ever happen because despite what the alarmists around Cork believe, he will play for the county again and will play well. In fact he'll excel.

Now that our seasons correspond, in my mind, that rules him out.

James
30/10/2003, 4:16 PM
Originally posted by SÓCcfc
Only problem would be he seems to enjoy seeing the colour red.

another person who'd rather the rebel army changed the kit colour back to red so :)

niamh
30/10/2003, 5:08 PM
Who'd come first City or Cork??
Is not a consideration though until we're told he has signed.
(from the club that is ;) )

pete
30/10/2003, 5:21 PM
bobcat (http://www.foot.ie/member.php?s=&action=getinfo&userid=1794)

Hmmm 1 post.

:rolleyes:

Colm
30/10/2003, 5:30 PM
Originally posted by pete
bobcat (http://www.foot.ie/member.php?s=&action=getinfo&userid=1794)

Hmmm 1 post.

:rolleyes:

My thoughts exactly.

golly
30/10/2003, 6:29 PM
how is this after coming about has he been scouted i no he played inter pub with mulligans but f**k sake if dere signing him coz of dat ud have to ask what the hell is up here u cannot judge a player on inter pub.

thecorner
30/10/2003, 8:49 PM
hes playing with greenmount and is nowhere near league of ireland standard

joe
30/10/2003, 10:58 PM
there were rumours that Dave Barry was interested in signing him a while back (just before he started playing for the Cork seniors, if i'm not mistaken ;) )

i've never met him but the 'talented *******' tag he has is apparently wide of the mark

bobcat
31/10/2003, 7:28 AM
i spoke with my buddy last night and he swear's blind that murray told him that Dolan called to see him and asked him to join up for next season,so either my buddy is lying which after last night's discussion i doubt or murray is

tiktok
31/10/2003, 11:15 AM
i don't know fionnan murray but surely being an inter county starter he'd be strong and fit enough.
If he's commited to a GAA club and the county then he'd hardly be playing every weekend for a LOI team, so i think the argument about where he plays now could well be moot. The only concern from that point of view would be where his loyalty would lie were he to sign.
If (and i do think it's a big if) Dolan likes him, i'm willing to wait and see.

Éanna
31/10/2003, 12:00 PM
Originally posted by tiktok
If he's commited to a GAA club and the county then he'd hardly be playing every weekend for a LOI team,
exactly. the days of doing both are long gone. It would have to be city OR the gaaaaaaaa. George was in the paper a while back saying he couldn't keep the hurling up when he joined City, so it'll be the same for this fella

Yoda01
31/10/2003, 2:16 PM
Originally posted by thecorner
hes playing with greenmount and is nowhere near league of ireland standard

Totally agree with this having played against him on many occasions, there are far better players around than murray. :mad:

shedite
31/10/2003, 9:01 PM
....the only player to ever score a bicycle kick goal in a senior intercounty championship match.

Still a waster!