PDA

View Full Version : Irish Broadband Offers

A face
27/11/2008, 2:52 PM
People, haven't really looked at this for a while so dont know exactly whats good and whats not. Has anyone looked at this recently? Who is giving the best deal on Broadband at the moment?

Any info would be great.

Bald Student
27/11/2008, 3:19 PM
Also, is there any such thing as a short term broadband contract? My Dad's going away on holidays for a few weeks but needs to do some work. He was looking at getting one of those dongle things from the mobile companies but they have a minimum 12 month contract.

tiktok
27/11/2008, 3:28 PM
I've got a broadband/telephone bundle with UTV which worked out a few € cheaper per month than BT and a nice bit cheaper than Eircom. Very happy with it at the moment.

TheBoss
27/11/2008, 11:22 PM
BT Broadband looks good, I might consider changing to that.

pete
28/11/2008, 12:19 AM
I have UTV but it is gradually getting slower all the time. I suspect it is the same without other eircom resellers. Going to change soon.

anto1208
28/11/2008, 10:25 AM
Im with digiweb which have gone from the best to pretty terrible in a year, i had a 3 mb line they doubled it for free to 6mb great !! then they up'd it to 8mb for just an extra 5 euro ( even though i didnt think you could just change what ws agreed with out my concent ). But still i thought 8mb for 40 euro thats good.

Have been doing speed checks and im getting between 350-450kb/s !!! Not impressed ill be changing as soon as i can pick up some other service in my estate.

Aberdonian Stu
30/11/2008, 1:06 PM
Also, is there any such thing as a short term broadband contract? My Dad's going away on holidays for a few weeks but needs to do some work. He was looking at getting one of those dongle things from the mobile companies but they have a minimum 12 month contract.

I think 3 have a pay-as-you-go version of them available. Don't know the specifics but it's worth giving them a call.

A face
30/11/2008, 5:31 PM
UTV (http://www3.u.tv/UTV_Internet/index.asp?Zone=South) - Three (http://www.3ireland.ie/broadband/index.htm) - digiweb (http://www.digiweb.ie/) - BT Broadband (http://www.btireland.ie/AtHome_bb_talk.shtml) - eircom (http://www.eircom.net/vas/vas-page.html)

Nova Networks (http://www.novanetworks.ie/) - For South Cork (Carrigaline, Donnybrook, Ringaskiddy area)

Roadend
01/12/2008, 11:04 AM
Im with digiweb which have gone from the best to pretty terrible in a year, i had a 3 mb line they doubled it for free to 6mb great !! then they up'd it to 8mb for just an extra 5 euro ( even though i didnt think you could just change what ws agreed with out my concent ). But still i thought 8mb for 40 euro thats good.

Have been doing speed checks and im getting between 350-450kb/s !!! Not impressed ill be changing as soon as i can pick up some other service in my estate.

Well that's good to hear, am awaiting digiweb to be installed due to BT's ridiculously overpriced boradband.:(

anto1208
01/12/2008, 11:42 AM
Well that's good to hear, am awaiting digiweb to be installed due to BT's ridiculously overpriced boradband.:(

Plus it dropping off once every 20 mins ! so if you are watching a match gaming or betting you can loose the connection for 30 seconds getting you kicked out of the game, missing a bet or loosing your stream for the match which then takes a while to get up and running again.

eamo1
01/12/2008, 12:00 PM
I stick to the old reliable Eircom anymore.The key word being "reliable",never once had a problem with it,unlike other providers who might be cheaper.

elroy
02/12/2008, 3:50 PM
I got Digiweb very recently, now i was waiting a good few weeks for it to install but am very happy with the service so far. Very quick for your average internet user, downloads pretty quick too so no complaints. Only 35 a month which is alot cheaper than BT, Eircom etc.

sligoman
12/12/2008, 11:12 PM
Broadband/telephone prices in Ireland are such a rip off compared to the UK:(

Roadend
18/12/2008, 8:52 AM
I got Digiweb very recently, now i was waiting a good few weeks for it to install but am very happy with the service so far. Very quick for your average internet user, downloads pretty quick too so no complaints. Only 35 a month which is alot cheaper than BT, Eircom etc.

Having had it a couple of weeks now I concur, long may it continue

A face
18/12/2008, 1:00 PM
Broadband/telephone prices in Ireland are such a rip off compared to the UK:(

A mate of mine was telling his work mates what we pay back here and the were stunned, couldn't get over how bad it was.

dublinred
19/12/2008, 12:28 PM
I have BT Ireland 1mb bb sourced via Eircom and the speed is shocking slow at times similar to dial up was thinking of switching to the 3mb Broadband and phone package from UPC/NTL as I already get cable off them it works out only e24 extra a month but that includes phone and line rental , I had NTL broadband in the UK and it was very good , just wondering what it is like here is anyone with them currently? I understand the broadband comes via the cable so not reliant on congesting eircom lines .

The upfront cost for switching is e50 for a new netgear wireless cable modem and they include 2 free cordless phone handsets so isn't too much of a cost to switch.

tetsujin1979
19/12/2008, 1:11 PM
I have BT Ireland 1mb bb sourced via Eircom and the speed is shocking slow at times similar to dial up was thinking of switching to the 3mb Broadband and phone package from UPC/NTL as I already get cable off them it works out only e24 extra a month but that includes phone and line rental , I had NTL broadband in the UK and it was very good , just wondering what it is like here is anyone with them currently? I understand the broadband comes via the cable so not reliant on congesting eircom lines .

The upfront cost for switching is e50 for a new netgear wireless cable modem and they include 2 free cordless phone handsets so isn't too much of a cost to switch.
yeah, we're on NTL in the house. Decent download and upload speeds, although torrents can be slow during the day
No real service problems, but when they upgrade the line from time to time it can take a day or two to complete

I'd recommend them

noby
19/12/2008, 1:16 PM
Bucking the trend, I'm with Eircom, and very happy with them. We were on a talktime package with them anyway, so it was only an extra twenty quid a month for BB. We get very decent speeds, which I was surprised at, what with our rural location.

A face
29/12/2008, 1:26 PM
Nova Networks (http://www.novanetworks.ie/) - For South Cork (Carrigaline, Donnybrook, Ringaskiddy area)

A face
16/01/2009, 2:32 PM
Handy little map (http://mapviewer.broadband.gov.ie/ServiceByLocationSearchWF.aspx) here for where ever you are in the country

OneRedArmy
16/01/2009, 2:34 PM
Also, is there any such thing as a short term broadband contract? My Dad's going away on holidays for a few weeks but needs to do some work. He was looking at getting one of those dongle things from the mobile companies but they have a minimum 12 month contract.Where's he going? I'm not nosey, it just depends on what country.

Roaming on those things is savage expensive, e5 a mb upwards.

Three offer roaming at the same price as Ireland for a small number of countries (UK and Italy definitely).

dublinred
16/01/2009, 3:10 PM
Have just moved from Eircom/Bt to NTL and difference is un-belivebale its like going from dial-up to broadband , stumbled across the united match the other night and it was like watching the tv with no interuptions.

Bald Student
16/01/2009, 10:37 PM
Where's he going? I'm not nosey, it just depends on what country.

Roaming on those things is savage expensive, e5 a mb upwards.

Three offer roaming at the same price as Ireland for a small number of countries (UK and Italy definitely).
Mayo but he's back now so it doesn't matter.

monutdfc
27/10/2009, 8:56 PM
Anyone heard of this crowd? - good bit cheaper than my current provider (UTV)
www.homevision.ie

dahamsta
27/10/2009, 9:03 PM
That reminds me, I might be moving to a DSL-enabled area soon, who's good these days for BB+Phone?

Price is always important of course, but good billing and support is the priority, I had an absolute nightmare of a time dealing with BT's screwups in the past, and I've enough on my plate with Airtricity at the moment without getting into it with another ISP.

adam

monutdfc
27/10/2009, 9:07 PM
try www.callcosts.ie - they have a good price comparison tool