PDA

View Full Version : Terrorist Attack in Mumbai, India

SkStu
26/11/2008, 11:20 PM
http://www.cnn.com/2008/WORLD/asiapcf/11/26/india.attacks/index.html

80 confirmed dead, twice that injured so far.

Deccan Mujahadeen (who are ya! who are ya!) claiming responsibility at this early stage...

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/south_asia/7751160.stm

TheBoss
26/11/2008, 11:39 PM
Yes, I saw a bit of it on NDTV on Sky, its crazy, people want to kill innocents

pete
27/11/2008, 9:45 AM
The response to terrorists like these & those pirates in the news recently is force. They have no cause you can talk to them about.

OneRedArmy
27/11/2008, 10:08 AM
The response to terrorists like these & those pirates in the news recently is force. They have no cause you can talk to them about.
You can't defeat terrorism with force Pete.

Its like fighting the wind.

Dodge
27/11/2008, 10:52 AM
BBC are updating this page all day (http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/south_asia/7752003.stm)

Some pretty shocking footage/photos elsewhere in the Media

pete
27/11/2008, 11:11 AM
You can't defeat terrorism with force Pete.

These people have no cause so you can't negotiate with them. :(

Dodge
27/11/2008, 11:18 AM
Everyone has a cause pete.

Sligo Hornet
27/11/2008, 1:59 PM
I stayed in the Taj hotel last July, and was due back there this month:eek:.However, the collapse of the £ against the $ meant our trading has stalled.......something good (for me at least!) to come from the recession

Hated Mumbai anyway!!

Closed Account 2
27/11/2008, 4:12 PM
Shocking stuff to be honest... it looks like one of the hotels has been set on fire now which must be horrible for the poor lads trapped in it, looks a bit like it could end up like Beslan...

pete
27/11/2008, 5:15 PM
Everyone has a cause pete.

Obviously everyone has some sort of cause but I suppose was trying to say this doesn't seem like one you can negotiate.

I would guess good chance inspired or supported by people in Pakistan.

bennocelt
27/11/2008, 9:20 PM
To be honest I am very shocked about this since I had serious plans on heading to India next year - and maybe for some business too - but now I am a bit worried about it - might just go to Vietnam instead - but had my heart set on India:(

its a mad bad world out there

pete
27/11/2008, 9:25 PM
Strange that the murderers kept hostages and waited for the Indian police/troops to fight their way into the hotel...

:confused:

Closed Account 2
28/11/2008, 10:46 AM
To be honest I am very shocked about this since I had serious plans on heading to India next year - and maybe for some business too - but now I am a bit worried about it - might just go to Vietnam instead - but had my heart set on India:(

its a mad bad world out there

Statistically you'll probably be safer now than at any other time. After a big incident like this security will be tighter than ever. I would still go if I were you, it's supposed to be a great country and it will probably be a safe time to go there will be fewer tourists than normal but a lot more guards / police.

One thing is make sure you take a lot of immodium and also some water purification tablets.

HarpoJoyce
28/11/2008, 2:49 PM
Shame the media outlets (waste pipes?) don't cover South Asia with live footage and flying news anchors out to a destination after seasonal natural diasters.
There's regular attacks in India. All of it 'home-grown' or 'responsible'.

But in India, fatalities during the Monsoons (from the SW going NE late June to August) and related flooding is far higher than the reported deadtoll and the moment.

Sligo Hornet
28/11/2008, 3:05 PM
Shame the media outlets (waste pipes?) don't cover South Asia with live footage and flying news anchors out to a destination after seasonal natural diasters.
There's regular attacks in India. All of it 'home-grown' or 'responsible'.

But in India, fatalities during the Monsoons (from the SW going NE late June to August) and related flooding is far higher than the reported deadtoll and the moment.

You're right there Harpo!......I suffered first hand a dreadful 4 days in Mumbai during an exceptionally bad period of the monsoon.....couldn't get out and that weekend over 200 people died from drowning,electrocution and snake bites!!:eek:

HarpoJoyce
28/11/2008, 3:18 PM
You're right there Harpo!......I suffered first hand a dreadful 4 days in Mumbai during an exceptionally bad period of the monsoon.....couldn't get out and that weekend over 200 people died from drowning,electrocution and snake bites!!:eek:

Yes but think of the experience!........

Mumbai suffers greatly ( as a big posh Urban, World City), villages elsewhere get completely destroyed or washed away. But I think because of Mumbai's location (surrounded by a lot of the wate Arabian Sea and a big bay) the water has nowhere to go, and drains slowly away.
Every year, the local papers try to predict the start of the rains by the route it takes north.

dfx-
28/11/2008, 3:49 PM
I blame Fianna Fáil.

And to think of the furore over make up, hair being done and manicures occupy the Dáil..