PDA

View Full Version : Shopping in Northern Ireland?

Pages : [1] 2

sligoman
26/11/2008, 7:35 PM
Lots of talk about it lately. What do you think? Living near the border, I personally have been going there for the past year or so, it's well worth it. Fair enough it doesn't do the Irish economy any good but looking after number one is the main thing and the savings that can be made there are massive.

What's your opinion on it?

superfrank
26/11/2008, 7:52 PM
Yeah, if it's cheaper, why not?

My sister lived in Aberdeen for years and going over there was brilliant for shopping because the exchange rate was fixed at an old rate. Basically, the fixed rate would be at 67p to a euro but at the time the real rate was more like 80p to a euro. It was great. Everything over there was ridiculously cheaper, CD's being the major one.

My sister moved to Manchester now, which, afaik, is a much more expensive part of the UK.

holidaysong
26/11/2008, 8:07 PM
Did my undergrad dissertation on this topic last year..

Magicme
26/11/2008, 8:38 PM
I live near the border (I bet you are shocked to learn Monaghan is near the border!!) and while I do my day to day shopping in Monaghan, if I am looking for clothes, electronics or alcohol I often head up to Enniskillen, Newry or Craigavon.

As I have family in Enniskillen and go to the Dentist up there I will usually pop into Asda or Tesco or Marks and Spencers there and have a mooch around and get some bargins.

Asda have a great 3 bottles of wine for £10 deal and they are not bad wines, Bannock Station or Lindemans have been the ones I have gotten lately. Things like a bottle of Malibu for £12 is great too and will defo be going over to stock up for Christmas.

sligoman
26/11/2008, 8:44 PM
Tesco were selling 8pint bottles of Bulmers for £7.99 the last time I was in Enniskillen, that's a crazy saving compared to here. Carlsberg, Becks, Jameson, Smirnoff are all on discounts...basically every drink there is way cheaper. There's such a bigger selection of stuff available there than there is here too, and not just alcohol.

The mayor of Dublin was on TV earlier and tried to claim whiskey is cheaper in Dublin than it is up north...maybe she means the cheapest whiskey here compared to the most expensive one up North, if not, she hasn't a clue!

Jock MIB
26/11/2008, 8:46 PM
Well now the UK VAT now going to 15% and the Irish being proposed to increase, i feel the Irish Economy is in for a really bad time, Irish Goverment have to major rethink about increasing VAT i more be of the thinking of reducing it to 19% to help the Irish Economy

As a seller in ireland its meaning i have to increase the prices next year with higher VAT to my customers who are now looking for value for money and keeping my business healthy isn't going to happen... i am fully aware its dig my feet in time and hope i ride the slump and come out the other end still in business:mad:

All i can say if i was on the border with Northern Ireland in my line of business it would be impossible to be competitive with UK prices so would expect to close business :mad:

But i am also scottish , so if there is somewhere to go that is cheaper then go for it i say :D

crc
26/11/2008, 8:59 PM
Option 2: "No-keep the money in Ireland"
Excuse me???!!! :eek:

Last time I looked Newry, Derry, Enniskillen, Belfast, etc. were all in Ireland. Is it patriotic to divide your country in two?

On the issue of economic protectionism, its a false economy to restrict your purchasing to local sources only. There's a reason Japan makes loads of cars and Ireland doesn't - they're much better at it. Ireland is better at other things. On a macro level, cross-border shopping and competition grows economies.

sligoman
26/11/2008, 9:06 PM
Excuse me???!!! :eek:

Last time I looked Newry, Derry, Enniskillen, Belfast, etc. were all in Ireland. Is it patriotic to divide your country in two?You know well I'm talking in terms of economy(the other is debateable). Whether we like it or not, shopping in the North contributes to the UK's economy.

ifk101
27/11/2008, 8:19 AM
There's a reason Japan makes loads of cars and Ireland doesn't - they're much better at it. Ireland is better at other things.

Transportation costs is another ;) but that's going off-topic.

Ideally you should support your local community - football team, small businesses etc, etc. But with money tight, consumers are all the more attracted by low prices and perhaps travel across the border is more out of necessity than choice. But then again if you are going across the border for cheap booze ..... :D

carrickharp
27/11/2008, 8:25 AM
Went to Derry and Strabane last week to get most of the Christmas shopping and called to Letterkenny on the way back and it is shocking the diffrence in prices between north and south and there was some amout of southren reg cars in both the Northen towns.

We were getting ripped off for long enough in the in the south so it is hard to feel sorry for many of them!!

brendy_éire
27/11/2008, 11:33 AM
Shopping in the north doesn't necessarily mean that the Irish economy has to lose out all that much. Shop in a Irish supermarket (Dunnes, Supervalu, etc) and buy Irish products. Shopping at the English chains such as Tesco and Sainsbury's makes it more difficult to buy Irish stuff though, except for alcohol, of which there's tons.
Admittedly the VAT will go to the Brits, but Ireland will get the profits from the product itself.

Personally, I usually shop in Dunnes and try and buy Irish. Irish things are usually nicer anyway, especially tea and yogurts. :)

pete
27/11/2008, 11:45 AM
It was always likely that prices differences across the border would increase. Both economies have very different economic policies.

- VAT rates
- Minimum wages
- Property costs Rent etc...
- More competition in UK & NI

The only thing lower in the south is Corporation taxes on profits. I think the current exchange rate has a much bigger impact than VAT rates.

If Irish government was to reduce VAT by say 2% I am not convinced it would it really make much difference. Lack of competition in many areas of ROI would means some reductions not passed on. Would have to raise tax from somewhere else anyway.

Dodge
27/11/2008, 11:50 AM
About 6/7 months ago we (the Dodge family) did a weekly shop in newry. We didn't save anything at all when fuel was factored in.

brendy_éire
27/11/2008, 12:10 PM
About 6/7 months ago we (the Dodge family) did a weekly shop in newry. We didn't save anything at all when fuel was factored in.

But the exchange rate is now a lot different, 84p=€1 atm. The rate briefly even reached 89p last week.
I remember the good old days (last year) when it was 63p.
Plus, fuel is cheaper.

Pete, fuel is also cheaper in the south and has been for many years (a petrol station, beside Derry, in Bridgend in Donegal (pop. 200 at most) was the busiest in Europe for ages.)
The point of the changing VAT rate is a good one. A VAT changed of 2.5% is minimal in comparison with a rate change of 53%.

paul_oshea
27/11/2008, 12:40 PM
Yeah, if it's cheaper, why not?

My sister lived in Aberdeen for years and going over there was brilliant for shopping because the exchange rate was fixed at an old rate. Basically, the fixed rate would be at 67p to a euro but at the time the real rate was more like 80p to a euro. It was great. Everything over there was ridiculously cheaper, CD's being the major one.

My sister moved to Manchester now, which, afaik, is a much more expensive part of the UK.Basically, your sister was paying way more if its a fixed rate of 67p!!! :D They weren't doing you any favours.....:confused:
About 6/7 months ago we (the Dodge family) did a weekly shop in newry. We didn't save anything at all when fuel was factored in.Ya where were you travelling from and when i.e. time
But the exchange rate is now a lot different, 84p=€1 atm. The rate briefly even reached 89p last week.
I remember the good old days (last year) when it was 63p.
Plus, fuel is cheaper.

Pete, fuel is also cheaper in the south and has been for many years (a petrol station, beside Derry, in Bridgend in Donegal (pop. 200 at most) was the busiest in Europe for ages.)
The point of the changing VAT rate is a good one. A VAT changed of 2.5% is minimal in comparison with a rate change of 53%.Those rates are unrealistic, in terms of what you the consumer would actually get(unless in CM or something like that) never could you or I get 63p worth of Euros, and never could a consumer get 89pennies worth of 1 euro. THe best I ever did was about .69 when worked out and that was when you could get nearly $2 for every £.

Jock MIB
27/11/2008, 2:42 PM
It was always likely that prices differences across the border would increase. Both economies have very different economic policies.

- VAT rates
- Minimum wages
- Property costs Rent etc...
- More competition in UK & NI

The only thing lower in the south is Corporation taxes on profits. I think the current exchange rate has a much bigger impact than VAT rates.

If Irish government was to reduce VAT by say 2% I am not convinced it would it really make much difference. Lack of competition in many areas of ROI would means some reductions not passed on. Would have to raise tax from somewhere else anyway.

It has to make some difference as as a seller i can keep prices reasonable to the UK market allowing me to entice customers to spend at my shop but if they raise the VAT then i have to raise my prices which means i can't compete with UK Market losing customers losing money , closing down another couple of people unemployed.

Macy
27/11/2008, 2:48 PM
If you're spending money in the multiples it makes little difference. If you're buying in the local butchers, grocer's etc then there is an argument, but I wouldn't buy supermarket meat anyway. I wouldn't bother from where I live - just too much time out of my personal time regardless of savings.

We'd normally buy a lot of stuff when we're in Manch, and when I was younger we used to head up to Enniskillen regularly enough to get shopping, and my relations in Longford still would (and not just in the last couple of months).

The likes of IBEC and their subsidaries couldn't give a toss about tax revenue or jobs, it's about maintaining profits and keeping the cats fat.

superfrank
27/11/2008, 5:23 PM
They weren't doing you any favours.....:confused:
Prices in the airport had a fixed rate. Say something was £2 in the airport, they'd have it priced as €3 if you paid in euros.

But the real exchange rate meant that £2 actually cost you €2.50. You see? 50c saving there alone.

SMorgan
29/11/2008, 6:36 AM
What do contributors think of the notion that people crossing the border to shop in Newry, Enniskillen or Derry are being unpatriotic? My first reaction is to say nonsense, what’s unpatriotic about wanting to feed the family or give the children a good Christmas.

However, when you really sit down and analyses the situation. Cross-border is doing tremendous damage to the Southern economy with the loss of tax revenue and jobs. Is it not right to suggest that people make sacrifices for the good of the Nation. It’s a haemorrhage that the Republic just can’t afford.

bennocelt
29/11/2008, 9:13 AM
What do contributors think of the notion that people crossing the border to shop in Newry, Enniskillen or Derry are being unpatriotic? My first reaction is to say nonsense, what’s unpatriotic about wanting to feed the family or give the children a good Christmas.

However, when you really sit down and analyses the situation. Cross-border is doing tremendous damage to the Southern economy with the loss of tax revenue and jobs. Is it not right to suggest that people make sacrifices for the good of the Nation. It’s a haemorrhage that the Republic just can’t afford.

hahaha thats funny - are you a politician:eek:

Dassa
29/11/2008, 10:02 AM
It works both ways like when loads of NI people cross the border for their fuel and stuff.

BohsPartisan
29/11/2008, 10:54 AM
What is patriotism? Is it as Kennedy said ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country? What does that mean? Does it mean making sacrifices for all the people or does it mean doing so for what Madison called "The Wealth of the nation?

We are free today substantially, but the day will come when our Republic will be an impossibility. It will be an impossibility because wealth will be concentrated in the hands of a few. A republic can not stand upon bayonets, and when that day comes, when the wealth of the nation will be in the hands of a few, then we must rely upon the wisdom of the best elements in the country to readjust the laws of the nation to the changed conditions.

So do the ordinary joes make sacrifices for the business class, the select few who pull the strings, or do they try and live as best they can and maybe organise to fight back while they're at it?

OneRedArmy
29/11/2008, 5:26 PM
Given the majority of the money is going to large British multiples wherever you shop, the only difference is who gets the tax. I can't say I lose too much sleep at night about the money I'm keeping from the Government to fritter away on extra layers of management in the HSE.

As for the jobs argument, retail jobs are invariably part-time, low hours & aimed at students & mothers. No big loss IMO.

Whatever the topic of the argument, patriotism tends to come out when every other point has been rubbished.

shantykelly
29/11/2008, 6:52 PM
patriotism has nothing to do with the state, unlike revenue, gdp etc.

John83
29/11/2008, 7:35 PM
I'm mildly amused that there are people who will kill for the right to live here, but if it's cheaper to shop from the auld enemy...

Patriotism is overrated.

holidaysong
29/11/2008, 7:47 PM
patriotism has nothing to do with the state, unlike revenue, gdp etc.

Wrong. Patriotism has everything to do with the state, patriotism being a feeling of loyalty to ones state. Whereas nationalism is loyalty to ones nation. A subtle but important difference..

I shop in Newry all the time. I consider Newry to be a part of Ireland though and the people there to belong to the same nation as me..

Is shopping in Newry unpatriotic in terms of the state I live in? Yes. Is shopping in Newry anti-nationalist in terms of the nation which I belong to? No, it is not.

BohsPartisan
29/11/2008, 9:28 PM
I'm mildly amused that there are people who will kill for the right to live here, but if it's cheaper to shop from the auld enemy...

Anyone I shop from is the enemy.

NeilMcD
30/11/2008, 1:13 PM
Given the majority of the money is going to large British multiples wherever you shop, the only difference is who gets the tax. I can't say I lose too much sleep at night about the money I'm keeping from the Government to fritter away on extra layers of management in the HSE.

As for the jobs argument, retail jobs are invariably part-time, low hours & aimed at students & mothers. No big loss IMO.

Whatever the topic of the argument, patriotism tends to come out when every other point has been rubbished.

Say that to the mothers who need that money to feed their kids or pay for a fuel bill or a student who needs it to buy books etc or pay his rent.

Heliodorus
30/11/2008, 1:15 PM
Anyone I shop from is the enemy. :p Excellent!

Ringo
01/12/2008, 6:43 AM
AA Roadwatch reported long tailbacks on roads into Newry and other Northern Border towns at the weekend as shoppers from the Republic availed of cheaper prices on many items.

The normal journey time from Dublin to Newry doubled on Saturday to over three hours and the car parks of the main shopping centres in the town were filled to capacity.

Some political and business leaders have called on shoppers in the Republic to show "patriotism" and shop locally. Others have warned of significant job losses in the retail trade after Christmas due to the financial crisis and cross-Border shopping.http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/ireland/2008/1201/1227910422683.html

Macy
01/12/2008, 8:57 AM
As others have said, if you're shopping in the large multiples it makes little difference. If you were shopping for the sustainability of the country you'd be skipping the supermarkets altogether in favour of local shops/ stalls.

Including the north in the National Development plan wasn't seen as unpatriotic was it?

Also, the types of tailbacks that Ringo highlights will do more to discourage it than any whinging will do.

Newryrep
01/12/2008, 9:17 AM
On sunday morning I could see there were at least a dozen people waiting outside Sainsbury at 12.10 and the shutters wee half down, now bearing in mind that the store will only let them in at maybe 12.30 they were standing in the freezing cold to get into a supermarket :confused: Are they insane ?

On my last visit to Sainsbury I thought there must of been some sort of conventon on as every fat person with their fat kids from a 30 mile radius had decended on the store

Sligo Hornet
01/12/2008, 9:39 AM
Say that to the mothers who need that money to feed their kids or pay for a fuel bill or a student who needs it to buy books etc or pay his rent.

That certainly made me smile this morning!:D

paul_oshea
01/12/2008, 12:42 PM
If you're spending money in the multiples it makes little difference. If you're buying in the local butchers, grocer's etc then there is an argument, but I wouldn't buy supermarket meat anyway. I wouldn't bother from where I live - just too much time out of my personal time regardless of savings.

We'd normally buy a lot of stuff when we're in Manch, and when I was younger we used to head up to Enniskillen regularly enough to get shopping, and my relations in Longford still would (and not just in the last couple of months).

The likes of IBEC and their subsidaries couldn't give a toss about tax revenue or jobs, it's about maintaining profits and keeping the cats fat.

we used to head to enniskillen too and get shopping when i was younger, but not that often in fairness and it was more to do with the sugar-free stuff we could get in boots which you couldn't get in ROIreland at the time.

superfrank, im not understanding much of what you are saying to be honest. Are you suggesting that in an airport in Ireland it would have 3 euro equivalent of £2?! Its strong when selling the stronger currency than buying it obviouslly, but I still cant imagine getting .66 + 2/3p for a euro in a shop.

holidaysong
01/12/2008, 12:56 PM
Price gap: Newry benefits while Dundalk suffers

http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/entertainment/film-tv/news/price-gap-newry-benefits-while-dundalk-suffers-14087405.html

Magicme
01/12/2008, 2:23 PM
I have a dentist appointment in Enniskillen tomorrow morning at 11.00 so am going to leave Monaghan at 8ish and get 2 hours shopping in Asda before my appointment and hopefully it will be that little bit quieter!

I love shopping.

Sligo Hornet
01/12/2008, 2:27 PM
I have a dentist appointment in Enniskillen tomorrow morning at 11.00 so am going to leave Monaghan at 8ish and get 2 hours shopping in Asda before my appointment and hopefully it will be that little bit quieter!

I love shopping.

I would prefer 2 hours in the dentist's chair rather than 2 hours in Asda:eek:

Magicme
01/12/2008, 2:38 PM
Aw but it will be followed by 2 hours in the dentist chair and later that night some painkilling in the form of the cheap booze I have picked up in Asda! Works hand in hand!

shantykelly
01/12/2008, 3:07 PM
working in strabane at the minute and the bypass is currently blocked with traffic entering/leaving asda, a lot of it heading from/for lifford. hope it clears by the time i finish at 6.

Magicme
01/12/2008, 3:22 PM
Its a 24 hour one though so wouldnt hold my breath Shanty!

Cosmo
01/12/2008, 3:30 PM
Never bothered with newry myself despite being so close to it! (but I'm not a big shopper anyway and I get cheap booze anyway)

Though was in letterkenny the weekend and we decided to head to londonderry for the day yesterday, and my girlfriend did all her xmas shopping and said it worked out alot cheaper compared to down here - she's got a taste of the bargains yesterday so I reckon regular trips to newry will be on the cards as a result

Magicme
01/12/2008, 3:32 PM
Newry is great, 2 great shopping centres next to each other and then a few little shops further up the town.

pete
01/12/2008, 6:30 PM
I heard that shops in Newry are increasing their prices as they realise ROI shoppers will still buy at higher rates as they believe still saving money. Locals doing their shopping elsewhere.

Newryrep
02/12/2008, 8:05 AM
I heard that shops in Newry are increasing their prices as they realise ROI shoppers will still buy at higher rates as they believe still saving money. Locals doing their shopping elsewhere.

Doubt it very much that they have increased their prices however petrol diseal costs were always more expensive in the border counties of the 26 than the rest because of the traffic from the north. Strange that ?:rolleyes:

Locals will do their shopping elsewhere as the Quays and the Buttercrane are bunged and they have no wish to spend a saturday/sunday stuck in grid lock.

It is worse this Xmas but as a general rule if you needed to do something in the town on Saturday do it before 10 or 11 otherwise forget it.

Macy
02/12/2008, 8:25 AM
I always wondered the big rush to Sainsburys anyway - it was always considered expensive compared to the likes of Asda or Tesco.

Newryrep
02/12/2008, 9:24 AM
I always wondered the big rush to Sainsburys anyway - it was always considered expensive compared to the likes of Asda or Tesco.

I think overall it probably is but Sainsbury is usually handy. Nearest Tesco is Banbridge, nearest ASDA is Kilkeel and its a small one. Wouldnt shop in any ASDA for personnal reasons and Tesco isnt particurliy handy.*

*there was a figure quoted that £1 out of every £9 spent in Britain is spent in Tesco's and that £9 isnt just in supermarkets its total spend - seriious retail giant as of course is Wal Mart

shantykelly
02/12/2008, 10:50 AM
Its a 24 hour one though so wouldnt hold my breath Shanty!

yeah, i know, helped build the *******in thing. was still pretty bad when i was heading home last night. useless shoppers, can they not leave it until a sunday when im off work and not in strabane?

OneRedArmy
02/12/2008, 12:21 PM
I always wondered the big rush to Sainsburys anyway - it was always considered expensive compared to the likes of Asda or Tesco.Exactly. Not as good quality as M&S but as expensive.

People want what they don't have though and as Sainsbury and ASDA aren't in the 26 counties then thats where people go.

I like ASDA mostly because the larger stores (like Strabane) are getting more and more like Walmart and I can fart around the electronics section.

Magicme
02/12/2008, 2:15 PM
I have to say I am feeling a little guilty now. Spent about €200 in Asda today. That said I did get pretty much all my christmas booze and things like big bottles of Nando's Peri Peri which myself and the kids cant live without. Also got Shloer and cherryade (sugar free) for the Kids over Christmas and generally stuff I cant get here or is much dearer here.

As for Sainsbury's yes they are dear enough but sometimes I like popping down to Armagh for unusual bits and pieces. My eldest wants to be a chef and is always coming up with imaginative recipes so we swing down to Armagh to get things and its the only time he likes going shopping. He loves Asda too for the varieties of fish etc he can get for much cheaper.

Actually, I dont really feel guilty bout going to Enniskillen, I was born there and it is my favourite place in the North so to hell with guilt!

anto1208
02/12/2008, 2:29 PM
Tesco (down south ) are selling 2 slabs of beer for 50 euro this week(start dec 1st ) . Didnt know where to put this as foot doesnt have a bargins thread. Might be better than driving up north for it.

Bud carlsberg bulmers guinness heiniken i think.

Anyone hear the woman on Darcy today driving from limerick up north to go shopping left at 6 30 this morning had been driving for 5 or so hours and where just in Navan. How much stuff would you have to buy to save enough money to make that a worth while trip.

1 day off for 2 people
Petrol to drive up and down
Food for the day
about 10 hours in a car to go to a over crowded understocked shop !!

It could quite quickly get up to around 250 euro !!