PDA

View Full Version : Most under-rated player in the world today?

Pages : [1] 2

sadloserkid
26/11/2008, 2:46 PM
Kinda following on from the 442 list up here too at the moment I was curious as to who people consider to be massively under-rated on a global scale. I'd nominate Torsten Frings (Werder Bremen & Germany) and Tommy Barrett (Limerick). :)

bennocelt
26/11/2008, 3:48 PM
Kinda following on from the 442 list up here too at the moment I was curious as to who people consider to be massively under-rated on a global scale. I'd nominate Torsten Frings (Werder Bremen & Germany) and Tommy Barrett (Limerick). :)

i would say Senna

Mr Maroon
26/11/2008, 3:56 PM
Probably someone in Serie A (if you mean under-rated in this end of the world) because most people watch EPL and La Liga to some extent but not Serie A.

Giorgio Chiellini would be one of them. He's one of the very best CBs in the world IMO.

superfrank
26/11/2008, 4:00 PM
I know he was in the top 20 in that 442 list but I think Franck Ribery is criminally overlooked a lot of the time. The guy is an incredible winger. He's a joy to watch.

Also think Higuain is one of the best forwards in La Liga at the moment.

rambler14
26/11/2008, 4:17 PM
In my opinion it would be Nemanja Vidic or Xabi Alonso.
This is a hard question because there are so many under-rated players in the world.

It would be easier if the question was about the worlds most over-rated player because I think most of us would agree that it's Zlatan Ibrahimovic.........terrible terrible player.

tiktok
26/11/2008, 4:19 PM

I was also going to suggest alonso, but seeing as other people rate him, it might not be the best example. Good player though, makes the overrated liverpudlian with the small forehead look good, like Dieter Hamann (another underrated footballer) did in the past.

....and Dan Murray.

sadloserkid
26/11/2008, 4:20 PM

Alonso I'd probably give you, there always seems to be a general feeling that he's limited enough. I think Vidic is quality but definitely recognised as such. And I think any of a couple of English players could pass for most over-rated (Gerrard in particular).

Mr Maroon
26/11/2008, 4:20 PM
It would be easier if the question was about the worlds most over-rated player because I think most of us would agree that it's Zlatan Ibrahimovic.........terrible terrible player.

I totally agree with that. Inter think he'll win the Ballon d'Or :rolleyes:

rambler14
26/11/2008, 4:27 PM
I totally agree with that. Inter think he'll win the Ballon d'Or :rolleyes:

If he does.......if he ever does then I will be officially renouncing football as a sport and will be taking up tennis.

Mr Maroon
26/11/2008, 4:33 PM
How could I forget........ Ronaldinho deserves a mention in the most over-rated players

rambler14
26/11/2008, 4:44 PM
How could I forget........ Ronaldinho deserves a mention in the most over-rated players

Ah he's been found out in the last year.
He's not even classes as "rated" anymore, thats why he's 70th on four four two's list.

cheifo
27/11/2008, 2:02 AM
Titus Bramble.:)

gaiscíoch
27/11/2008, 7:26 AM
Jean II Makoun of Lyon gets my vote the fella is excellent. Cant believe he aint at a bigger club by bigger club I mean a Barcelona, Liverpool, Arsenal etc.

Closed Account 2
27/11/2008, 8:46 AM
Alan Dzagoev (CSKA), Lavezzi (Napoli), Pogrebnyak (Zenit), Danijel Pranjić (Herenveen), Vedad Ibišević (Hoffenheim), Aureliano Torres (san Lorenzo), Martín Morel (CA Tigre), Salvador Cabañas (CA America), Omar Arellano (Chivas de G.)

elroy
27/11/2008, 10:38 AM
Most people on this site seem to think Andy Reid!!

Dodge
27/11/2008, 12:15 PM
Werder Bremen's Diego

NeilMcD
27/11/2008, 1:54 PM
Shay Given

Hibs4Ever
27/11/2008, 2:09 PM
Kuyt & Given

maroon ultra
27/11/2008, 3:44 PM
Rooney is typical of British media hype, a completely over rated player. He makes a dive worthy of an oscar in the cl and he is a hero because he supposedly apologised to Fergie.

tetsujin1979
27/11/2008, 4:11 PM
Ricardo Carvalho - undeservedly overshadowed by John Terry in the press IMO

rambler14
27/11/2008, 4:35 PM

I would agree with that. Carvalho is definetley Chelsea's best defender. It's just Man of Steel John Terry gets all the glory.

razor
27/11/2008, 8:50 PM
Ah he's been found out in the last year.
He's not even classes as "rated" anymore, thats why he's 70th on four four two's list.He's still got it, just pinged a free in there from the top drawer.

Mr Maroon
27/11/2008, 8:53 PM
He's still got it, just pinged a free in there from the top drawer.
He's a decent player when he's fit but he's no where near the best in the world

2legged tackle
27/11/2008, 8:57 PM
Alan Dzagoev (CSKA), Lavezzi (Napoli), Pogrebnyak (Zenit), Danijel Pranjić (Herenveen), Vedad Ibišević (Hoffenheim), Aureliano Torres (san Lorenzo), Martín Morel (CA Tigre), Salvador Cabañas (CA America), Omar Arellano (Chivas de G.)

Mind me askin where your from and is it football manager your playin?

2legged tackle
27/11/2008, 9:05 PM
I would agree with that. Carvalho is definetley Chelsea's best defender. It's just Man of Steel John Terry gets all the glory.

I would agree that Carvalho is a top defender but not that he is better than John Terry. Terry gets more of the glory because he has been at the club for so long and because he is English. Very similar to Ferdinand and Vidic but in that case I think Vidic is better.

Mr Maroon
27/11/2008, 9:10 PM

The only one I can really comment on is Lavezzi who is an absolutely brilliant player. Napoli have some real gems with him, German Denis, and Hamsik.

bennocelt
27/11/2008, 9:14 PM
Kuyt & Given

hahahahahahahaha :)

sligofan4ever
27/11/2008, 9:20 PM
Fabio Aurelio and Shay Given.

And lets not forget Ali Dia :)

Ciprian Marica
27/11/2008, 10:09 PM

Was thinking the exact same! You'd want to be watching some amount of football to have an opinion on all those

Hibs4Ever
28/11/2008, 7:43 AM
Rooney is typical of British media hype, a completely over rated player. He makes a dive worthy of an oscar in the cl and he is a hero because he supposedly apologised to Fergie.

Don't forget that Ferguson also blamed Rooney's diving on Robert Pires :rolleyes:

Dodge
28/11/2008, 7:52 AM
I would agree that Carvalho is a top defender but not that he is better than John Terry. Terry gets more of the glory because he has been at the club for so long and because he is English. Very similar to Ferdinand and Vidic but in that case I think Vidic is better.

Carvalho is head and shoulders above Terry. IMO he's the best defender in the world.

Closed Account 2
28/11/2008, 8:50 AM

From near Bray / Wicklow, but live in London now... Don't play football manager, but I do watch (and bet on) a lot of foreign teams, especially south american football (copa sudamericana and libertadores) and eastern european (esp. Russian and ex-Yugoslavian) football. When I was Argentina I saw San Lorenzo play (2007) they had a great team then, Lavezzi was the star (now at Napoli) but Aureliano Torres has come on leaps and bounds in the last 18 months. Him and Cabañas (along with Santa Cruz of Blackburn) have been the key players for Paraguay (who sit top of the group) in the World Cup qualifiers.

I'd say a player to watch will be the Ossetian Alan Dzagoev at CSKA, he's about 17-18 and a tiny player who plays either in the hole or down the wings. He's been a sensation at CSKA this season and looked like a class act in the Germany v Russia game at the Westfalen / Dortmund in early October.

I've been suprised with Ibisevic something like 16 goals in 14 games for Hoffenheim (top of the Bundesliga), he looked like a promising player around 6-7 years ago when he was playing university soccer in the US, but his move to PSG went badly, but he's turned it around now in Germany.

Closed Account 2
28/11/2008, 8:57 AM
Was thinking the exact same! You'd want to be watching some amount of football to have an opinion on all those

You're not too bad a player yourself, :D but I still think Florentin Petre, Banel Nicolita and Nicolae Dică are better attacking players in the national team!

gustavo
28/11/2008, 9:06 AM
Dont think he's underrated , most people would say he is the equal of Terry

gustavo
28/11/2008, 9:07 AM
He's a decent player when he's fit but he's no where near the best in the world
Decent when fit ?

Come on , When fit he is right up there with the best in the world

Bluebeard
28/11/2008, 9:44 AM
Me...

Stuttgart88
28/11/2008, 10:32 AM
Always thought Gary Neville at his peak was underrated. Being a gobby git probably didn't help.

Shay Given.

DeLorean
28/11/2008, 2:56 PM
I think Grosso of Italy and Lyon is fantastic. I couldn't believe he is so old though (past 30) and I can't believe how he doesn't seem to get on all the time. Tbh the I knew nothing about him prior to the 06 WC where he scored in semi and winning pen in final but having seen him for Lyon against United and Rangers in the CL last season and again when he got his place back at the Euros with Italy he impresses me every time. Quality left foot and a tough defender.

When Ronaldinho was at his best there was nobody better, Zidane would have been his own rival in the last 10 yrs imo but neither player were underrated nor overrated. Players I have no time for at all that seem to do ok for themselves would be Reo Coker and Vassell and lots of English gks are hugely overrated like Robinson and Carson in particular. Think they've both been found out at this stage though.

DeLorean
28/11/2008, 2:58 PM
From near Bray / Wicklow, but live in London now... Don't play football manager, but I do watch (and bet on) a lot of foreign teams, especially south american football (copa sudamericana and libertadores) and eastern european (esp. Russian and ex-Yugoslavian) football. When I was Argentina I saw San Lorenzo play (2007) they had a great team then, Lavezzi was the star (now at Napoli) but Aureliano Torres has come on leaps and bounds in the last 18 months. Him and Cabañas (along with Santa Cruz of Blackburn) have been the key players for Paraguay (who sit top of the group) in the World Cup qualifiers.

I'd say a player to watch will be the Ossetian Alan Dzagoev at CSKA, he's about 17-18 and a tiny player who plays either in the hole or down the wings. He's been a sensation at CSKA this season and looked like a class act in the Germany v Russia game at the Westfalen / Dortmund in early October.

I've been suprised with Ibisevic something like 16 goals in 14 games for Hoffenheim (top of the Bundesliga), he looked like a promising player around 6-7 years ago when he was playing university soccer in the US, but his move to PSG went badly, but he's turned it around now in Germany.

I suddenly feel inadequate in the 'football knowledge' department!!!! :ball:

Mr Maroon
28/11/2008, 5:09 PM
I think Grosso of Italy and Lyon is fantastic. I couldn't believe he is so old though (past 30) and I can't believe how he doesn't seem to get on all the time. Tbh the I knew nothing about him prior to the 06 WC where he scored in semi and winning pen in final but having seen him for Lyon against United and Rangers in the CL last season and again when he got his place back at the Euros with Italy he impresses me every time. Quality left foot and a tough defender.

He's a late bloomer I suppose.
He wasn't well known at all outside of Italy before 06 World Cup. He had been a left wing back/left winger with Palermo and Perugia before that. He was very very good at that WC and in the months after that. Since then his form has been up and down. Inter sold him and replaced him with Maxwell who IMO is an inferior player.
Grosso's place in the Italy is much less secure than it was a couple of years ago.
I'm not sure what I make of him. I think his form in 2006 may have been somewhat of a flahs in the pan. He's certainly a good player but he's not as good as he looked for a while back then.

ken foree
30/11/2008, 2:52 PM
I suddenly feel inadequate in the 'football knowledge' department!!!! :ball:

ha i know i was about to type 'pwnd' for the two lads who questioned the sincerity of cfdh's knowledge of the world game. i think he was calling out arshavin before the euros to anyone on here who'd listen and he definitely knows his sh!t.

Mr Maroon
30/11/2008, 5:28 PM
ha i know i was about to type 'pwnd' for the two lads who questioned the sincerity of cfdh's knowledge of the world game. i think he was calling out arshavin before the euros to anyone on here who'd listen and he definitely knows his sh!t.
Now he is overrated. He had a good UEFA Cup campaign and Euro 2008 but other than that he's been nothing special. His reputation seems to be built on that match against Holland in the Euros and Football Manager games!

forza rovers
30/11/2008, 5:48 PM
Xabi Alonso.

noddy102
30/11/2008, 9:34 PM
Lionel Messi.
Going to be robbed of the Ballon d'Or by Ronaldo on Tuesday. :(

bellavistaman
30/11/2008, 11:51 PM
Stephen Ireland, although getting applause he deserves alright at the moment!! But definitly under-rated

jebus
01/12/2008, 12:21 AM
Lionel Messi.

Messi's a lot better than Ronaldo, but you can't fault Ronaldo's season for United to be fair. In the same time Messi has had to deal with injuries and a stuttering Barca team

gaiscíoch
01/12/2008, 7:37 AM
Lionel Messi.

Well Stephen Hawkins tell me how you worked this one out. Ballon d'Or is about the players who out shone all his piers throughout a full season not just the odd game in 6.

Champions League, in which he scored in the final, Premier League and 42 goals along with that.:eek:

Stuttgart88
01/12/2008, 10:03 AM
Diego Forlan?

Dodge
01/12/2008, 10:26 AM
Well Stephen Hawkins tell me how you worked this one out. Ballon d'Or is about the players who out shone all his piers throughout a full season not just the odd game in 6.

Champions League, in which he scored in the final, Premier League and 42 goals along with that.:eek:

He hasn't score 42 goals in 2008 though, has he? In fact he's been either injured or out of form since May, and it is a yearly award

Oh and he was ****e in the Champions league final. If you think Messi only played well in 6 games this year, I'd suggest you only saw him play 6 times

gaiscíoch
01/12/2008, 11:39 AM
He hasn't score 42 goals in 2008 though, has he? In fact he's been either injured or out of form since May, and it is a yearly award

Oh and he was ****e in the Champions league final. If you think Messi only played well in 6 games this year, I'd suggest you only saw him play 6 times

He was voted Uefa fans Man Of The Match in that final if I remember correctly??

I think Messi is one of the best players in the world and will eventually ser-pass Maradona. But he doesn't deserve the award.

Who votes for the world player of the year and Ballon d'Or?