PDA

View Full Version : Reid, Red and Ireland. The 3 best playmakers we've ever had?

Pages : [1] 2

tommy_c12000
25/11/2008, 12:33 PM
Who is Red? Hardly Michael Reddy

Wolfie
25/11/2008, 12:40 PM

Simply Red? Mick Hucknall was a mainstay of the Fulchester Rovers team in "Billy the Fish". ;)

Speakthetruth
25/11/2008, 12:57 PM

I'm pre-empting that Ciaran is refering to Stevie Reid, who incidentially is not a playmaker but then again, presumption is the mother of all fook ups...

DeLorean
25/11/2008, 1:18 PM
I'm pre-empting that Ciaran is refering to Stevie Reid, who incidentially is not a playmaker but then again, presumption is the mother of all fook ups...

No, he said all 3 are fit and available so that can't be it....Ciaran??

carloz
25/11/2008, 1:20 PM
As good as Stephen Reid is, i have never realy seen him as a playmaker. Would love to have those three in the middle for us with McGeady and Duff on the wings. This would be a phenomenally creative midfield and would worry a lot of teams. The only downside is either Keane or Doyle wuld have to be dropped, or we would have to have a 3 man defence, which is never going to happen. Unfortunalty we probably have to accept that these three in question will not play a minte of this campaign in the future.

Brendan 82
25/11/2008, 1:51 PM

Ruben De La Red...?

paul_oshea
25/11/2008, 1:57 PM
red rum?! And red if indeed reid, is not fit and available.

And ireland is more of an attacking midfielder a la lampard getting into the area at the right time than a playmaker.

Certainly reid of the andrew kind or steven reid are not irelands greatest ever playmakers. what planet do you live on?

Billy-Green
25/11/2008, 2:00 PM
All 3 are fit and available. Which would you choose?

Gun to my head, stephen ireland

NeilMcD
25/11/2008, 2:17 PM
Liam Brady, Johnny Giles, John Sheridan, Roy Keane, Ronnie Whelan ahhh none of them are as good as this lot. ha ha Ciaran you are deluded.

Stuttgart88
25/11/2008, 3:34 PM
The role of the playmaker in the modern game is an interesting one. There are very few in the EPL as the nature of the game there is more suited to more physical and athletic midfielders. Fabregas, Alonso, Carrick and Modric are among only a few who play regularly. Stephen Ireland too I guess.

That's more than there used to be a few years ago I suspect so it looks like maybe the playmaker is coming back into vogue again.

In our case we've often had good playmaking types. I used to really like Stephen McPhail, but O'Leary said there was no role for his type of player in the modern game.

There are various types of playmaker too. There's the Zidane-like "number 10" who is an advanced playmaker, the deeper-lying Pirlo or Xavi Alonso type, or the all singing / all dancing playmaker like Fabregas.

In the case of Fabregas even Aragones didn't see fit to include him in Spain's starting XIs during the summer so the merits of having a playmaker in a winning team at international level are often trumped by pragmatism.

In Ireland's case, I don't see why a playmaking type should be inconsistent with defensive solidity as I'm not convinced that two out and out wide players is the best use of our resources. Of the so-called playmakers we have available, I'd say all are advanced "number 10" types who could be deplyed effectively in a range of shapes (4-3-1-2, 4-2-3-1...) as I'm sure Paul O'Shea would love to discuss.

None of our current playmakers can even touch some of those we've had in the past.

WTF is "Red" anyway?

richieos
25/11/2008, 4:08 PM
i think by red he means robbie the red. but hes just more of a striker than a playmaker..

beepbeep
25/11/2008, 4:17 PM
lads its clear he means Red from Shawshank Redemption.... hes irish... and available.

Splurge
25/11/2008, 4:24 PM
It would be Ireland and Stephen Reid, every time if they were both fit and available.

DeLorean
25/11/2008, 5:05 PM
....Did that guy just call Roy Keane a playmaker?

Put us out of our misery.....who's Red?

So far we have Stephen Reid, Robbie Keane and......Morgan Freeman apparently!!

eirebhoy
25/11/2008, 5:12 PM
He never was a playmaker but I think since coming back from long term injury he is very much a playmaker. I first noticed it away to Arsenal last season and couldn't believe how different a player he was. Certainly for us under Trap he has played a playmakers role. In saying that, a lot of it has to do with the level players are playing. John O'Shea would be dictating and controlling the play at conference level. I'm sure Reid wouldn't be classed as a playmaker if we had Xavi, Fabregas and Alonso in our team.

It's also wrong to say England don't have playmakers. Barry, Carrick and a few others would be the heartbeat of the Irish team.

Also, Owen Garvan is way more advanced in the playmaking department than any of the 3 above mentioned players were at 20. He seems to be in great form.

"But the victory seemed a long way off in Suffolk as Derby failed to cope with the intelligence of Owen Garvan in midfield - a lovely left-footed playmaker with similarities to former Ram David Jones - and the strength of Jonathan Walters up front."

NeilMcD
25/11/2008, 9:01 PM
Do you think that Andy Reid and Stephen Reid and Stephen Ireland are better than the players i have mentioned. You are deluded man. Roy Keane to me is a playmaker. He made the play he dictated the play and got on the ball and set up attacks. That to me is playmaking. It may not fit your restricted view.

NeilMcD
25/11/2008, 10:39 PM
Oh if wikipedia says it then it must be true. Why did you not tell me that before.

SkStu
25/11/2008, 10:51 PM
Guess wikipedia has a "restricted" view as well. A playmaker isn't about dictating tempo, it's about vision, intelligence, killer plays and penetrating passes.

ah well, if wikipedia says it......

what is a "killer play"? MacBeth or something??

26/11/2008, 12:57 AM
Have you ever played football or do you base all your "knowledge" on crap read from a computer???
you say S.Reid is fit and available?? really??? better tell Ince that aswel as he thinks hes injured. youre hung up on the idea that he said keane is a playmaker rather than answering his other points about numerous other players.
the 3 you mentioned might be the best playmakers in your time but youre only 19 or so yes? many many many better players and playmakers have donned the green before.

A.Reid and S.Ireland will probably never play for Ireland under Trap,why do we have to keep readin about them?

Stuttgart88
26/11/2008, 9:06 AM
Is this happy hour in the dunce club or something? Seriously, learn to discuss. If you want to be an ass and contradict everything I said for no good reason other than the slim one in a million chance that a highly contributed wikipedia article could be wrong then go ahead just do it the hell away from my thread.

I mean seriously, what kind of moron claims Roy Keane is a playmaker and that wikipedia is always wrong. :eek:I've seen it all now. The above simply beggars belief.

I'd be interested to hear how you'd compare the all-knowing wikipedia definition to the descriptions I threw out on page 1. You were doing ok when you cited Deco as (one type of) playmaker but describing Fabregas as "too selfish" to be a playmaker is simply flabbergasting.

For what it's worth Roy Keane had everything in my opinion. At his peak he was probably the best so-called holding midfielder in the game, the best box-to-box midfielder in the game and his simple give-and-go passing had many attributes of a classic central midfield playmaker. He didn't have the flair of a Platini or Brady but to overlook his ability to dictate play is foolish.

DeLorean
26/11/2008, 9:46 AM
I've seen it all now. The above simply beggars belief.

I'd be interested to hear how you'd compare the all-knowing wikipedia definition to the descriptions I threw out on page 1. You were doing ok when you cited Deco as (one type of) playmaker but describing Fabregas as "too selfish" to be a playmaker is simply flabbergasting.

For what it's worth Roy Keane had everything in my opinion. At his peak he was probably the best so-called holding midfielder in the game, the best box-to-box midfielder in the game and his simple give-and-go passing had many attributes of a classic central midfield playmaker. He didn't have the flair of a Platini or Brady but to overlook his ability to dictate play is foolish.

Ya that just about sums in up. This is a crazy thread, highly entertaining though. The Fabregas reference was my favourite, in the history of football he must be top or near top on my UNSELFISH list. He passes the ball more than any player I can think of and never takes players on. Has the occasional pop at goal when it's there to be hit but other than that. Any player that tries to keep the game moving from the centre of the pitch can be considered a playmaker in my eyes and there was nobody better at that than Keano!!

tiktok
26/11/2008, 10:21 AM
I've seen it all now. The above simply beggars belief.

Agree with all that.

Even by the thread starter's own definition of what a playmaker is, the suggestion that the three players mentioned are the best we've ever had is ridiculous, even someone young must be aware of the talent Giles, Brady and Whelan to start with possessed.

His throwing the toys out of the pram is very funny though.

Uncle_Joe
26/11/2008, 10:26 AM
This is an easy question, if you think about it for a second

"a playmaker is an attacking player who controls the flow of the team's offensive play, and is often involved in passing (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pass) moves which lead to goals (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Football_pitch#Goals)"

Over the last 5 years, which if Sheridan, Keane and co. are not included then thats the time period we are talking about, then the answer simply....

..... DAMIAN DUFF. :eek:

THe only Irish player to consistantly come closest to the All ruling Wikipedia Definition.

FACT!!

NeilMcD
26/11/2008, 10:52 AM
Its my thread and I will cry if I want to cry if I want to. You'd cry too if it happened to you.

fergalr
26/11/2008, 1:27 PM
Hilarious stuff.

macdermesser
26/11/2008, 1:31 PM
An impressive haul, Ciaran.

Reid, Red and Ireland better than Giles, Brady and Whelan .. lol

DeNiro
26/11/2008, 3:16 PM
No one mentioned Red Hurley!

Guidedbyvoices
26/11/2008, 3:22 PM
No one mentioned Red Hurley!

Red Riding Hood

Junior
26/11/2008, 4:15 PM
but describing Fabregas as "too selfish" to be a playmaker is simply flabbergasting.

fabregasting surely?

paul_oshea
26/11/2008, 4:15 PM
fabregasting surely?

I was wondering whether or not Stutts used that word purposely.

OwlsFan
26/11/2008, 4:23 PM
Reid, Reid S and Ireland. The 3 best playmakers we've ever had?

You're not Laughing Bill O'Herlihy is disguise are you? This is the sort of stuff he comes out with so that the dwarf can go off on one of his rants :rolleyes: ?

DeLorean
26/11/2008, 4:33 PM
fabregasting surely?

Ha! it had to be said I suppose, I opted out cos I thought....too easy!!!

Junior
26/11/2008, 7:59 PM
Ha! it had to be said I suppose, I opted out cos I thought....too easy!!!

feck off - Im a comical genius.;)

NeilMcD
27/11/2008, 8:12 AM
Lads if we are not careful he may refuse to post on this forum ever again or kill his granny and wear superman pants and get a nice wig.

Stuttgart88
27/11/2008, 8:58 AM
fabregasting surely?
:) the pun had certainly crossed my mind alright!

irishultra
27/11/2008, 9:04 AM
if anyone is a playmaker keith fahey is the ultimate one(in terms of ireland)

eirebhoy
27/11/2008, 4:52 PM
if anyone is a playmaker keith fahey is the ultimate one(in terms of ireland)
I'd just go back to the point I made about what level a player is playing at. Most of our players could play a playmakers role at some level. Steven and Andy Reid would certainly be the ultimate playmakers of the LOI.

danonion
27/11/2008, 6:18 PM
In fairness I think Roy Keane kept it too simple to be considered a playmaker.

irishfan86
27/11/2008, 6:25 PM

He didn't go for 40 yard passes, but he would make driving runs and make little one-twos with people all over the field.

It's a different kind of playmaker, but I'd still give him that label.

DeLorean
27/11/2008, 6:40 PM

Totally disagree, he kept his passes simple alright but kept the ball moving very well and brought others into the game. Always showed for the ball and tried to dictate the pace of the game. Who was United's playmaker if he wasn't in the treble winning season and period around then. At that stage Scholes was more of a Lampard/Gerrard type arriving late into the box and scoring loads of goals, Beckham and Giggs were the wide players and Keane was the one who controled the game.

eirebhoy
27/11/2008, 6:47 PM
For me the playmaker is the guy that sets the tempo of his teams play and always makes himself available to receive a pass no matter where on the pitch his teammate has the ball. So Keane was very much a playmaker. In fact, Scholes has only really become a playmaker since Keane left. He was more of a Lampard type player years ago.

/edit - seems like BarelyLegal has the exact same definition of a playmaker as me. :)

DeLorean
27/11/2008, 7:23 PM
For me the playmaker is the guy that sets the tempo of his teams play and always makes himself available to receive a pass no matter where on the pitch his teammate has the ball. So Keane was very much a playmaker. In fact, Scholes has only really become a playmaker since Keane left. He was more of a Lampard type player years ago.

/edit - seems like BarelyLegal has the exact same definition of a playmaker as me. :)

You're very wise!!:rolleyes:

eirebhoy
27/11/2008, 7:49 PM
A that dreaded rolleyes icon. Always confuses me.

Colbert Report
28/11/2008, 1:33 AM
You do realize wikipedia can be edited by anyone at anytime right?

Hibs4Ever
28/11/2008, 10:37 AM
You do realize wikipedia can be edited by anyone at anytime right?

I seriously doubt he does. Seems its his bible

Hibs4Ever
28/11/2008, 10:53 AM
You do realise that History of edits is available and that "realise" is spelt with an "s" don't you?

Coming from a guy who spells Reid as "Red" :rolleyes:

Qwerty
28/11/2008, 5:44 PM
ruben de la red is eligibly for Ireland didn't you know? :rolleyes:

What would this forum be without you Ciaran? ;)

tetsujin1979
28/11/2008, 6:52 PM

Empty?

irishfan86
28/11/2008, 7:01 PM

Less quantity, more quality.

Junior
03/12/2008, 9:40 AM
redundant creche?