PDA

View Full Version : Jerry_Sadowitz

NeilMcD
25/11/2008, 11:03 AM
What are peoples views on Jerry Sadowitz. I think he is one of the greatest comedians of his generation. I saw him in Edinburgh this year and he was top class. Not for everybody but one of the cleverest and funniest guys around.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jerry_Sadowitz

Wolfie
25/11/2008, 1:23 PM
"In 1991 he was famously punched after uttering just one sentence ("Good evening, moosef*ckers!") at the Just For Laughs Comedy Festival in Montreal by an irate audience member".

I think you are either willing recognise the "willfully offensive" approach as a legitimate means to entertainment / food for thought etc - or else its a natural reaction to take major offence at his act.

I'm all for someone approaching these subjects from a different angle but its a high wire act as to how far you push it.

Sadowitz is quite obviously blessed with an ascerbic intellect but there can be a blurred boundary between where Lenny Bruce begins and Bernard Manning begins.

He did a routine a few years ago bemoaning how Gary Glitter was being witch hunted by society just because he wanted to settle down with a few kids. You either "get" the joke or you don't.

He's necessary - He's out there on his own, saying the unsayable. As you point out, Neil - not for everyone.