PDA

View Full Version : Laptop Problem

sligoman
24/11/2008, 10:10 PM
Have a Samsung laptop and the screen keeps freezing after about 2 minutes of switching it on. It was happening a couple of months back and I rang tech support and he said it sounds like there's a process clashing causing it to do this and he said to perform a system restore so I did that and it had been grand since but now is happening again. I could do system restore again but I don't want to have to do this every couple of months and lose everything on the laptop each time. When it happens, I can't close the window(it's not just on the internet btw-it happens when using any programe), I can't open task manager and I just have to turn it off by switching it off.

It's still under guarantee so I'll ring them again but just wanted to see first if anyone knows why this is happening and how to fix it.

pete
24/11/2008, 10:20 PM
What have you installed since you restored? Because restoration solved the problem that suggests s/w issue. Seems you have reinstalled the problem s/w again?

sligoman
24/11/2008, 10:25 PM
What have you installed since you restored? Because restoration solved the problem that suggests s/w issue. Seems you have reinstalled the problem s/w again?Hard to know off hand as there's probably been a lot of stuff.

AVG
Football Manager 08

Would have downloaded a few games too, nothing that I don't already have on PC(that I can think of) and it's not causing a problem there. I'll have a look at the add/remove list next time I'm on and see if anything springs to mind.

strangeirish
25/11/2008, 2:22 AM
Have a Samsung laptop and the screen keeps freezing after about 2 minutes of switching it on. Try not looking at it.:D

A face
25/11/2008, 9:13 AM
How much space do you have left on your hard drive? When you open task manager go to View and Select Columns and select Virual Memory Size and have a look at what is taking up the most resources?

Does it happen every time you bootup or just sometimes?

sligoman
25/11/2008, 5:33 PM
How much space do you have left on your hard drive? When you open task manager go to View and Select Columns and select Virual Memory Size and have a look at what is taking up the most resources?

Does it happen every time you bootup or just sometimes?When I go to select columns, there's no 'Virtual Memory Size' option? I can see Memory(Private Working Set) and the thing taking up most memory there(apart from using IE now) is dwm.exe

It happens most of the time.

A face
25/11/2008, 8:13 PM
When I go to select columns, there's no 'Virtual Memory Size' option? I can see Memory(Private Working Set) and the thing taking up most memory there(apart from using IE now) is dwm.exe

It happens most of the time.

What OS are you using?

Battery Rover
25/11/2008, 8:31 PM
First rule out a virus

Search for that file dwm.exe is in C:\Windows\System32 you are fine if it is elsewhere then it is a trojan or virus

How much memory do you have in the laptop and what os are you running

sligoman
26/11/2008, 12:08 PM
What OS are you using?Vista
First rule out a virus

Search for that file dwm.exe is in C:\Windows\System32 you are fine if it is elsewhere then it is a trojan or virus

How much memory do you have in the laptop and what os are you runningI'll check all that later when I get home.

It carried out an error fixing scan after one of the improper shutdowns and since then, it hasn't freezed. I haven't been on it today but will check again later, the problem may be solved.

A face
26/11/2008, 4:07 PM
Vista

Make sure you tell the retailer that its a disaster of an operating system, they deserve to know :rolleyes:

sligoman
26/11/2008, 6:31 PM
Not working after all:(
First rule out a virus

How much memory do you have in the laptop and what os are you runningC drive has 110 of 144GB free. D has 131 of 143GB free

Where do I search for that file? I'm not very tech sure.

SligoBrewer
16/12/2008, 12:05 AM
Make sure you tell the retailer that its a disaster of an operating system, they deserve to know :rolleyes:

What he said.