PDA

View Full Version : Mervue

London-Irish
24/11/2008, 1:01 PM
Will they get a licence at their won ground? Or will they have to groundshare with Galway?

Jofspring
24/11/2008, 1:03 PM
probably ground share but what would the cost be for them to do this, would it be very expensive for them to play in terryland??

oldyouth
24/11/2008, 1:39 PM
If they decide they are ready to enter the league, they should start as they mean to go on at their own ground. It doesn't matter if they have don't have ALL the infrastructure in on day 1, once they have the basic requirements and can accomodate the size of crowd we get in the 1st Division. Some clubs don't seem to put any importance on this anyway

They can always use Terryland if they get a home draw in either of the cups against a Premier club

harps1954
24/11/2008, 2:14 PM
According to their Chairman in one of today's papers, there is no guarantee that they are going to apply for a First Division Licence or if they want to play in the LOI. A bit strange to enter the 'A' league and go through the play-off system if they weren't going to accept it.

I reckon if they do apply for (and get) a First Division Licence, they will be like Wexford Youths and be an amateur team.

WoodquayBoy
24/11/2008, 3:14 PM
I think they were stunned to get to as far as they did. Was speaking to someone from the club over the weekend first preference is obviously to play at own ground.
Vibes I got from him was they won't go up, but calls into question not only their role but the whole A Championship - what is the point of it, it is just putting extra costs on clubs and in these difficult financial times, does it really have any merit?

L37Ultra
24/11/2008, 3:36 PM
Vibes I got from him was they won't go up, but calls into question not only their role but the whole A Championship - what is the point of it, it is just putting extra costs on clubs and in these difficult financial times, does it really have any merit?

Why did they apply for the A championship so? :confused:

Ash
24/11/2008, 3:55 PM
They went in to the A Championship to gain a bit of experience.
Team meeting at the weekend and a decision is expected next week on
whether or not that are interested in making the step up.

osarusan
24/11/2008, 3:55 PM
Some clubs don't seem to put any importance on this anyway

:D:D
Mervue, make sure you have decent lighting for warm-up areas!!

Inside Man
24/11/2008, 4:28 PM
Does the ground have a stand? Roof?
Sure I'm sure theygot some money from the play off thats why they played in it. sure why wouldn't they if there was a bit of revenue to be made.

Curler
24/11/2008, 4:32 PM
a championship 7 away games
first division 18 away games

bit of a difference in costs....
Mervue United are members of the Galway FA and as such are part owners of Terryland
In the short term I would not see them investing in their ground to make it loi standard.

gufct
24/11/2008, 4:32 PM
There was a shortage of takers and certain people put pressure on both themselves and Salthill to enter teams, Absolute madness that there were three teams from Galway City in the A league and Under 20 league.

The City and County cant keep one club viable at the moment although our gates picked up towards the end of the season.

WoodquayBoy
24/11/2008, 4:46 PM
No jokes about the lighting allowed - the bloody floodlights at the pitch, the neighbouring 'cages' and the clubhouse all went out in the first leg!
As for why they applied, not so sure - maybe GUFCT is right in saying a certain amount of pressure was applied - but I have been told that had Salthill Devon qualified for, and won, playoff, they WOULD have taken invitation. That was from someone not associated with the club, so may have to take that with a grain of salt, just saying what I was told

GenerationXI
24/11/2008, 4:52 PM
a championship 7 away games
first division 18 away games

Precisely. It's a purely economic question unfortunately. There are very few teams without the ambition to progress (though there are a few who chose not to take part in the A-Championship). I hope they do make the decision to apply because they may never get the chance again. There's no guarantees with regard to how they'll do next year.

WoodquayBoy
24/11/2008, 4:58 PM
I for one think they should give it a shot for one season anyway, can always opt out and, if they finish bottom, they may not have that choice

holidaysong
24/11/2008, 5:54 PM
Shouldn't this be in the Mervue United section.. ;)

Poor Student
24/11/2008, 6:03 PM
We've seen with St. Francis and St. James's Gate that senior football isn't for every club. I hope Mervue make the right decision for their long term future. UCD spurned the chance to join the inagural LOI but resurfaced over half a century later. It doesn't have to be now or never.

Ceirtlis
24/11/2008, 9:21 PM
I dont think they should apply to be honest, cant see a small area within a small city getting consistent attendances with only a couple of players from the local area.

KevBGUFC
25/11/2008, 12:00 AM
Their biggest problem using their own ground is the UEFA requirement for an enclosed ground - which it isn't. That leaves them renting Terryland or maybe Drum (Salthill Devon's pitch). Another option might be Crowley Park (Galwegians RFC) where GUFC played while Terryland was being picked up and rotated 90 degrees in 1993. It's on the right side of the city for them.

Paddyfield
25/11/2008, 7:42 PM
http://www.galwaynews.ie/5714-decision-time-mervue-utd

sadloserkid
28/11/2008, 4:17 PM
Some clubs don't seem to put any importance on this anyway

Oh put your claws away man. :)

I for one think they should give it a shot for one season anyway.

Likewise. Otherwise they may as well drop out of the A Championship until they are ready to potentially make the step up.

chimpster
01/12/2008, 9:38 PM
It strikes me that Mervue haven't been planning for LOI football, especially if as suggested they were kind of pushed into joining the A-Championship. Instead, its just sort of landed in their laps and taken them by surprise.

Personally, I'd love to see ye in the First Division, but most clubs make it following a lot of planning and hard graft to achieve that specific purpose. There's a lot more to LOI football than sticking 11 players out on the pitch each week, its the behind-the-scenes stuff (especially the licensing) that bleeds the coffers dry and springs the surprises. So unless ye have a coherent plan for survival in the LOI, I'd advise ye to think very carefully before voting yes.

Anyway, congrats on winning the play-off, and whatever path ye take I wish ye the best of luck. :ball:

Ash
02/12/2008, 2:51 PM
Decision to be made over the next 2 weeks, or so Im told.

Gaillimh Al
02/12/2008, 9:13 PM
Yeah they will be making a decision in next couple of weeks.

It is grand for people from other provinces to say they shouldn't have accepted the place in the competition in the first place, if they weren't willing to accept the spot, but Connacht has no avenue for players outside of junior soccer, which is no breeding ground for decent League of Ireland (or higher) standard footballers. Munster, Ulster and Leinster have Senior Leagues for the better players to play in. Salthill and Mervue were behind a campaign to resurrect the Connacht Senior League but the interest was not there.
Both clubs have great underage set-ups and facilities which draw players from all over the county to play for them and are the top 2 in nearly every age group.
So it was logical for them to try and find some outlet for this underage talent to progress through with the club. The squad was a mixture of their underage talent, and some of their junior squad and a few recruits from some other teams. The only two players with LOI experience were Dave Goldbey and Ollie Keogh. You would think, hardly a team that is going to give Premier reserve sides too many problems. And that is what they thought.
But, after a shaky start, they started getting results and have achieved a great feat for the club. I would love to see them have a crack at the First Division, but Johnny Glynn is a realist and admitted after the second leg that Kildare were bottom for a good reason and they would have to strengthen the squad to have a realistic chance of being competitive. While retaining their amateur status, that will be hard to achieve.
In the end, I think the logistics behind organising a side to play 33 games all over the country for a club backboned by volunteers, who are dedicated to the underage set-up that has been established, may prove too burdensome for them.

galwayhoop
02/12/2008, 10:46 PM
The squad was a mixture of their underage talent, and some of their junior squad and a few recruits from some other teams. The only two players with LOI experience were Dave Goldbey and Ollie Keogh. You would think, hardly a team that is going to give Premier reserve sides too many problems. And that is what they thought.
But, after a shaky start, they started getting results and have achieved a great feat for the club. I would love to see them have a crack at the First Division, but Johnny Glynn is a realist and admitted after the second leg that Kildare were bottom for a good reason and they would have to strengthen the squad to have a realistic chance of being competitive. While retaining their amateur status, that will be hard to achieve.
In the end, I think the logistics behind organising a side to play 33 games all over the country for a club backboned by volunteers, who are dedicated to the underage set-up that has been established, may prove too burdensome for them.
that kind of sums it up for me, perhaps entering may cause more resentment than it is worth from even their own members!! also a big, big commitment needed from players to play that amount of games (incl the travel) especially on amateur basis.

easy for others to say they shouldn't do A if they aren't prepared to do B but a massive step to contemplate for the club. i wish them the best whatever avenue they persue.

btw i wouldn't be surprised if David Goldby got an offer from some first division club on the back of his exploits this season with mervue....

Youths4Ever
03/12/2008, 1:20 PM
Yeah they will be making a decision in next couple of weeks.

It is grand for people from other provinces to say they shouldn't have accepted the place in the competition in the first place, if they weren't willing to accept the spot, but Connacht has no avenue for players outside of junior soccer, which is no breeding ground for decent League of Ireland (or higher) standard footballers. Munster, Ulster and Leinster have Senior Leagues for the better players to play in. Salthill and Mervue were behind a campaign to resurrect the Connacht Senior League but the interest was not there.
Both clubs have great underage set-ups and facilities which draw players from all over the county to play for them and are the top 2 in nearly every age group.
So it was logical for them to try and find some outlet for this underage talent to progress through with the club. The squad was a mixture of their underage talent, and some of their junior squad and a few recruits from some other teams. The only two players with LOI experience were Dave Goldbey and Ollie Keogh. You would think, hardly a team that is going to give Premier reserve sides too many problems. And that is what they thought.

I get what you saying about giving players a chance to progress but I still believe then should be removed from A League and replaced with a side with the ambition to get into the first division should be put in their place that is point of the A Championship.

We may not be ultra competitive but we are an amateur team backboned by volunteers and very few our players had played senior football most came from junior football. Yes I know we have Wallace and his money but volunteers make up the rest of the club.

BTW where you getting 33 games all over the country it is 33 games in total with 16 or 17 away games with a few cup games.

galwayhoop
03/12/2008, 1:33 PM
I get what you saying about giving players a chance to progress but I still believe then should be removed from A League and replaced with a side with the ambition to get into the first division should be put in their place that is point of the A Championship.

replaced by a team with ambition!!! there were 3 non-league teams this season, the other 2 finished bottom of their groups.... will both of these apply to re-enter??? the FAI door isn't awash with application letters so it really isn't that easy. if the FAI turfed mervue out they may struggle to replace them.

of course if the option was accept promotion or be thrown out then mervue could accidentally (;)) come up short in the licensing department!!!

Youths4Ever
03/12/2008, 4:13 PM
replaced by a team with ambition!!! there were 3 non-league teams this season, the other 2 finished bottom of their groups.... will both of these apply to re-enter??? the FAI door isn't awash with application letters so it really isn't that easy. if the FAI turfed mervue out they may struggle to replace them.

of course if the option was accept promotion or be thrown out then mervue could accidentally (;)) come up short in the licensing department!!!

I hope the other teams do re apply probably like Mervue never expected much in first season. I do believe Mervue could be replaced. Probably to soon for them but FC Carlow spring to mind already in u20 and u18 competitions so natural step is into A Championship.

sadloserkid
03/12/2008, 5:05 PM

I hear and accept this and I am sympathetic to the situation Mervue are faced with. That said the 'A' Championship is not a halfway house between junior and senior football to be used as a plaything or a convenience by a handful of progressive clubs in Connacht. If they're not interesting in playing in the second tier of the national league in the longer term they should pull out. I get that they probably didn't expect to have to make this decision so soon.

On the other hand none of the top clubs in Limerick play in the Munster senior league (which, and I'm very open to correction, is comprised almost solely of Cork clubs with a few from Waterford I believe) and manage to get along fairly well despite this. Surely as it stands Galway United should be the natural outlet for the top talent within Mervue/Salthill/whoever?

btw i wouldn't be surprised if David Goldby got an offer from some first division club on the back of his exploits this season with mervue....

Tried it twice before. Not a bad player at all but where could you really see him going? Harps perhaps?

I still believe then should be removed from A League and replaced with a side with the ambition to get into the first division should be put in their place that is point of the A Championship.

You're right, that is the actual point of the A Championship. Well that and to provide football for reserve sides.

Gaillimh Al
03/12/2008, 10:40 PM
On the other hand none of the top clubs in Limerick play in the Munster senior league (which, and I'm very open to correction, is comprised almost solely of Cork clubs with a few from Waterford I believe) and manage to get along fairly well despite this. Surely as it stands Galway United should be the natural outlet for the top talent within Mervue/Salthill/whoever?

Mervue and Salthill have facilities and infrastructure Galway United can only dream of and they are producing players for United (Alan Keane, Seamus Conneely, Vinny Faherty, John Russell, Jason Molloy, Cian McBrien, Willie McDonagh). The standard of competition just isn't there in Galway junior soccer. Nothing against Limerick junior, but maybe these top clubs are happy to be local kingpins than try their hand at MSL. Mervue have ambition, but as you say they have been fast-tracked into this position. Planning permission is, I believe, in place for a stand of sorts at Fahy's Field and floodlights have recently been erected, becoming the first usable floodlit pitch in Galway apart from Terryland. So I think it's really just a case of this happening too soon.

And as for "let someone in the competition who wants to go forward", I'd like to see the queue of clubs who are looking to, have the facilities (or plans for), and are pushing hard to get a place in the lucrative First Division.

KBurke
05/12/2008, 8:56 AM
According to a local paper this morning Mervue are looking at going through the licencing process and if they are granted a First Division Licence they will accept. An Fai delegation is coming to Galway on Monday to assess what work needs doing on the ground etc.

THe club will remain amateur, have the cheapest season tickets in the LOI €50, and will liase with Galway United and the Fai so that teams are at home on alternate weekends.

sadloserkid
08/12/2008, 10:50 AM
Nothing against Limerick junior, but maybe these top clubs are happy to be local kingpins than try their hand at MSL.

Pike tried it before, won it easily for a number of years and decided they'd face more of a challenge playing the other top sides in Limerick. Apparently anyway. Regardless the Munster Senior League is NOT a step up.

And as regards the long list of clubs who don't want to join the league that's fine. But at that stage it may as well just be a reserve league as opposed to a convenience for a handful of clubs. Though if the above post is to be believed it looks like common sense will prevail anyway.

Ash
08/12/2008, 2:02 PM
Small bit on Mervue on "Pobal" on TG4 last night. Thought there might b=have
been more time given to their achievement but nice to see some recognition all
the same!

Presuming only 1 of the players speaks much Irish as they only spoke to 1 lad
on the team

Martinho II
08/12/2008, 8:34 PM
Small bit on Mervue on "Pobal" on TG4 last night. Thought there might b=have
been more time given to their achievement but nice to see some recognition all
the same!

Presuming only 1 of the players speaks much Irish as they only spoke to 1 lad
on the team

saw that too last night when i accidently switched it over...