So do we have any Mervue fans on here?

Ash
24/11/2008, 11:25 AM
So do we have any Mervue fans on here?

Hold off on that for a minute ... they havent agreed to make the step up yet,
members meeting this week apparently.

Magicme
24/11/2008, 12:53 PM
Well if they do decide to join us, welcome aboard.

pineapple stu
24/11/2008, 1:18 PM
Too many Galway clubs, to be honest. I think they should pull out; the league would suddenly solve all its problems. :p

Ash
24/11/2008, 2:30 PM
Team meeting this weekend so decision should be know some time next week

geezer
24/11/2008, 10:46 PM
a secret mafia within the fai, naughton,byrne and local covert plan to creat 40 LOI experience players in the Galway area to help GUFC win a league title wiyhin 10 years. Salthill are next up and the trio will take it from there. Its a very good plan.

Weloome Mervue Utd FC to LOI Football with 23 teams fielded every week over 40 years they will survive

Bluebeard
24/11/2008, 11:39 PM
Welcome in folks if you're coming - may he have a pleasant stay and not get caught in the relegation battle next year. Nor get in our way if we mount a decent promotion bid either, mind;)

GalwayRed
24/11/2008, 11:55 PM
Welcome mervue:)

A face
24/11/2008, 11:59 PM
with 23 teams fielded every week over 40 years they will survive

What? Have you got that right? Am i reading that right? 23 teams !!! :eek:

Are you sure about that?

GalwayRed
25/11/2008, 12:27 AM

Are you sure about that?
Yous seem shocked:D According to their website its more than 23 teams though.

oldyouth
25/11/2008, 8:45 AM
Congratulations Mervue. Word is that your team next year will be amateur, like us, so it is great for the local talent to be given a decent shot:)

geezer
25/11/2008, 9:37 AM

Are you sure about that?

actually its at least 23 teams, they usually run anything up to 10 buses every weekend around the county with various teams competing. They are a commercial enterprise now thats self sustaining with the facilities they have developed. These facilities are smack bang in the middle of industrial areas so they always have people using them. They have a large membership so they are better equipped than most clubs to survive. The biggest enemy for them will be from within, its the whole ethos of the club that could change if they find themselves constantly flushing money down the toilet trying to stay mid table of the first division. Some members of their committee would be vehemently opposed to paid people taking and volunteers doing all the running. Im sure there are similiar clubs in dublin,cork,limerick and elsewhere around the country. Salthill Devon would be at least as well organised in Galway and Athenry wont be far off in a few years

pineapple stu
25/11/2008, 9:39 AM
Does the Superleague count? We have 69 teams in that case. :)

Mr A
25/11/2008, 11:30 AM
Was at Mervue last night for our U20 game and those I spoke to felt they would go for first division status.

davidatrb
25/11/2008, 12:01 PM
Best of luck in the League Mervue!

GuisaSaigon
25/11/2008, 1:46 PM
Today's Connacht Sentinel seems to suggest that Mervue won't take up the invitation. Can't really blame them the financial strain would be unfair to their underage and junior sides.
Madness from the FAI TO even allow the possibility of 2 Galway sides in the league.

oldyouth
25/11/2008, 1:55 PM
As I said before, it is their right if they want to take it up. If they have that sort of sound infrastructure as is mentioned here, then another chance will come along again when they might be better placed.

LK37oldskool
25/11/2008, 5:39 PM
Hope Mervue take up the offer,was lookin forward to a trip up to Galway which looked on till Kenna pull a rabbit out of the hat!

thischarmingman
26/11/2008, 12:56 AM
Welcome to the league, would be nice to draw you in a cup.

Pauro 76
28/11/2008, 6:42 AM
Welcome to Mervue. It feels strange that you're now in the same division as LTFC, but welcome aboard!

Dodge
28/11/2008, 6:45 AM
As I said before, it is their right if they want to take it up. If they have that sort of sound infrastructure as is mentioned here, then another chance will come along again when they might be better placed.

Should be thrown out of A league if they don't accept promotion. Why enter it in the first place?

maroon ultra
28/11/2008, 8:24 AM
Well they probably thought the FAI might have shown just a little more interest in the first division. I think Mervue are right in making a stand on this. The question has to be asked what is the incentive for teams like Mervue to join the LOI. Other than the slight step up in quality of football there is little else and their manager Johnny Glynn has said as much.

Dodge
28/11/2008, 8:43 AM
Well they probably thought the FAI might have shown just a little more interest in the first division. I think Mervue are right in making a stand on this. The question has to be asked what is the incentive for teams like Mervue to join the LOI. Other than the slight step up in quality of football there is little else and their manager Johnny Glynn has said as much.

I have no problem with jumior clubs staying junior BTW I just think that if they're either in the league (and agree to all the conditions etc) or they're not

galwayhoop
28/11/2008, 10:54 AM
Should be thrown out of A league if they don't accept promotion. Why enter it in the first place?

thats a bit harsh Dodge!! would it be better for them to step up, find out they can't afford it and go bust or drop out mid-season to save the club???

all the word coming from mervue utd. is they are thinking long and hard about it and going to make the best decision for the club.

they surely didn't expect to have to make this decision this soon and had probably budgeted on A division for a few years first.

Dodge
28/11/2008, 11:08 AM
thats a bit harsh Dodge!! would it be better for them to step up, find out they can't afford it and go bust or drop out mid-season to save the club???
Nope, they should figure out if they can do it, and make the decision accordingly. if they enter the first division, I wish them nothing but luck. if they refuse, then please make way for a club that has ambitions

they surely didn't expect to have to make this decision this soon and had probably budgeted on A division for a few years first.
There's, what, 4 or 5 non LOI teams in the A league. Surely, they must've though they were in with a shout.

sadloserkid
28/11/2008, 4:25 PM
There's, what, 4 or 5 non LOI teams in the A league. Surely, they must've though they were in with a shout.

3. Mervue, Salthill and Tullamore. I'm 100% in agreement with Dodge tbh. If they have no intention of making the step up then they have no business playing in the 'A' League. I hope they do take their place in the First Division but if they don't, for whatever reason, what purpose exactly are they serving in the 'A' League? If it's solely for experience for players then I'm sure that Galway United signed some bodies for their own 'A' team... I just don't see any purpose in Mervue sustaining a team solely to play 14 games a year in the 'A' Championship.

galwayhoop
28/11/2008, 4:51 PM
I just don't see any purpose in Mervue sustaining a team solely to play 14 games a year in the 'A' Championship.
with no connacht senior league both of Galways big amateur clubs Mervue and Salthill presumably decided to join the A League as the only other option they had was junior football, which isn't great in Galway.

holidaysong
28/11/2008, 4:54 PM
Did Mervue and the other clubs not have to agree to make the step up to the League at the time of joining the A Championship? :confused:

I'm nearly sure I read something about such an agreement..

sadloserkid
29/11/2008, 2:10 PM
with no connacht senior league both of Galways big amateur clubs Mervue and Salthill presumably decided to join the A League as the only other option they had was junior football, which isn't great in Galway.

I can totally accept that from the point of view of the clubs but from the league's point of view then I still fail to see what they're bringing to the table. This question isn't a side swipe at you in any fashion galwayhoop but is the 'A' Championship the bottom rung of the national senior league or an extension of the junior set up then?