PDA

View Full Version : Unsubscribing from McAfee

stann
22/11/2008, 3:08 PM
Anyone managed to successfully do this?

A subscription I had on an old laptop with McAfee is up soon (early Jan) and I'm getting emails telling me that it'll be automatically renewed early next month.
Firstly, can they do this without even emailed assent?
Secondly, any attempts on the McAfee site to find a way to cancel this have drawn a blank so far. Particularly any forays into the Customer Service area of the site end in frustration, it would appear to be deliberately crippled, returning error messages and the like.

Ideas would be most grateful, it's making me quite :(

KoemansCC
22/11/2008, 4:25 PM
Follow the link below and send them a description of the problem, telling you want to turn off automatic renewal and do not want to subscribe to their product. I had the same problem a few months back and got a refund as you have 30 days to get a refund if the product is renewed.

https://service.mcafee.com/UserInfo.aspx?lc=1033&sg=CS&pt=1&st=EMAIL

The customer service was excellent and they replied within 24 hours and the refund was credited fast, this is the mail I sent and the response I got...

07/15/2008 13:55:28
A chara,

I would like to receive a refund on my recent purchase of McAfee VirusScan Plus Invoice CS381XXXXX on 10 July 2008 under your refund policy. I do not require this product and I was unaware that I would be automatically upgraded and billed for same.

Thanks in advance,
K

Wed, Jul 16, 2008 at 6:50 AM
Dear K,

Thank you for contacting McAfee Customer Service.

I understand that you are requesting for the cancellation and refund of your automatically renewed subscription.

I have reviewed your records under the email address XXXX, and I have verified that your subscription to McAfee VirusScan Plus was automatically renewed on 10 July 2008.

On behalf of McAfee, I sincerely apologize for the inconvenience this automatic renewal debit has caused you, K.

McAfee renews your account using the Always On Protection (automatic renewal) plan to ensure the uninterrupted service of your security software. The reason McAfee introduced the Always On Protection plan is that majority of our customers prefer an automatic renewal over a manual renewal. To review the Always On Protection policy, please follow this link: http://uk.mcafee.com/root/alwaysOn.asp

As requested, a reimbursement of 39.99(GBP) to your account has been processed today. You may verify this credit within 5 business days. Your merchant service request number is CS38XXXXXXX.

I also have cancelled the Always on Protection (auto-renewal) feature on your account to ensure that your subscription will not be automatically renewed in the future.

You may get an email survey regarding the level of service I have provided. We would appreciate if you can take the time to accomplish this survey and provide valuable feedback that will help us provide the best possible customer service.

Should you need further assistance, please reply to this email including the previous correspondence. Your service request number for this incident is 1583XXXXX.

With kind regards,

Tony C.
McAfee CS-Tier 1

stann
24/11/2008, 12:42 PM
Thanks Koemans, initially was trying to do it without contacting them but followed your directions there and in fairness it was a breeze via the chat client, so much so I almost felt guilty cancelling! :D
Cheers for that!