PDA

View Full Version : Argentina to play in Lansdowne opener

eirebhoy
21/11/2008, 1:39 PM
DIEGO MARADONA'S Argentina will take on Ireland in the first soccer international at the new Lansdowne Road.

The South Americans have agreed to be the high-profile guests on August 18, 2010 when the refurbished venue returns to the spotlight.

FAI chief executive John Delaney stated earlier this week that a game had been booked but the association would not be revealing the identity of the opposition until the New Year.

However, the Irish Independent can confirm that the two-time World Cup winners will be Ireland's guests on the historic night.

more... (http://www.independent.ie/sport/soccer/diego-for-dublin-1548192.html)

Excellent. They were my choice in the thread a few months asking about preferred first opponents. It's been a while.

irishultra
21/11/2008, 1:41 PM
nice. altho i think its safe to assume el diego won't be manager by then.

DeLorean
21/11/2008, 2:48 PM
I suppose they'd be difficult enough alright. You'd never know though the FAI could have it as part of a package like they've done before to make sure the lesser matches sell out. That would discourage a lot of people that would be just interested in going and watching the big guns. That's a long way off anyway we'll have to get tickets for SA first!!!!

SUB of the day
21/11/2008, 5:18 PM
Good chance Argentina will be World champions when they come to Dublin

theworm2345
21/11/2008, 5:53 PM
This match will mean nothing only a month after we win the World Cup with David Connolly scoring a hat trick in the final :D