PDA

View Full Version : New strip

Gerry Desmond
15/09/2001, 9:49 AM
The team will wear the new strip tomorrow against Shelbourne. It will be available in the Club Shop to the public/fans *two weeks later* at the Monaghan United game. The delay here is because not all sizes are avaialable at the moment and a decision was taken to hold back for two weeks until they were.

Gerry

Gerry Desmond
15/09/2001, 9:51 AM
Originally posted by Gerry Desmond
The team will wear the new strip tomorrow against Shelbourne. It will be available in the Club Shop to the public/fans *two weeks later* at the Monaghan United game. The delay here is because not all sizes are avaialable at the moment and a decision was taken to hold back for two weeks until they were.

Gerry

...available, even :D

Gerry

rebel yell
15/09/2001, 2:13 PM
Could someone post a picture of the new kit on this site please?
How many city kit changes have there been, I wonder? I bet they don't consult the fans, as has been the trend in England. Of course this has been sabotaged though by rival fans rigging the vote. just imagine city in pink...

Gerry Desmond
15/09/2001, 2:22 PM
Originally posted by rebel yell
Could someone post a picture of the new kit on this site please?
How many city kit changes have there been, I wonder? I bet they don't consult the fans, as has been the trend in England. Of course this has been sabotaged though by rival fans rigging the vote. just imagine city in pink...

Have seen the gear, rebel yell, though I haven't got a pic of it. Maybe Joe will stick one up on Monday....
Shirt is still mainly red :( but at least the horrible white band is gone at last. The 'Guinness' will be in white. The side panels of the shirt are white with narrow green trim and this design follows down onto the shorts which are also red.

I think citymark (maybe I'm mistaken as to who?) did/is doing some research into City strips over the years...

Whatever you think about the new design, I for one certainly hope we will be 'in the pink' tomorrow after the $hel$ game.

Gerry Glad To See The Green Coming Back

James
15/09/2001, 2:24 PM
yea saw it after the away game in bray
looks good
not sure bout the green bit though:D

just hope its in the shops b4 i go stateside

Gerry Desmond
15/09/2001, 2:32 PM
Originally posted by James
yea saw it after the away game in bray
looks good
not sure bout the green bit though:D

just hope its in the shops b4 i go stateside

Available 30 September in Club Shop, sometime thereafter in town. You going before that?

Gerry

All that red is just *so* GAA :D

James
15/09/2001, 2:39 PM
going 4th of oct, touch wood to boston
but I've heard of delays and suchlike with the club b4 about jerseys. havent you?;)

whats wrong with the GAA anyway
actuallty no lets not start that argument.
Cork is associated with red granted that prob is down to the influence of the GAA but I think its important for a Cork team to play in red.

Gerry Desmond
15/09/2001, 2:59 PM
going 4th of oct, touch wood to boston
but I've heard of delays and suchlike with the club b4 about jerseys. havent you?;)

whats wrong with the GAA anyway
actuallty no lets not start that argument.
Cork is associated with red granted that prob is down to the influence of the GAA but I think its important for a Cork team to play in red.

Yeah, there have been delays before and we're all familiar with them. However, I have it on good authority that the new shirts will be available at the Monaghan game. As I cannot entirely ('entirely', says he modestly!) predict the future I'll only go so far as to say I'm 99% certain that they will be in the Club Shop on 30 September. Course I could be wrong...

Red. Hmm red is as grand a colour as any other. What I can't stomach is the (very British) way we insist on 'thinking by counties' in this country. And the way we associate counties with colours. Especially the way we assume those colours have to be GAA colours. I just think it's limited vision. I also believe clubs should stick to their ORIGINAL colours. If City's had been Red & White, fine - but they weren't. They were green and white with a narrow red trim, the exact OPPOSITE of what the new shirt will be. So, my problem isn't with the GAA (I played it for years..!), it's what I see as a change of club identity.
If Shamrock Rovers had changed to the 'Dublin' colours (leave Dub City out of this argument) and dropped their traditional/original colours, you can bet you bippy there would have been an outcry from their fans. City's fans accepted their colour change without so much as a whimper, I am sorry to say.

Gerry

BTW, if you're too young to know what a bippy is, James, you can ask em when you get to Boston...

James
15/09/2001, 3:07 PM
yea way too young for that phrase gerry
but according to my google search

Laugh-In popularized catchphrases such as "Sock it to me," "You bet your bippy," and "Look that up in your Funk and Wagnall's

or from http://dudland.8m.com/dictionary.htm

it means

Bippy n Slang, for ass or buttock

anyway fair point bout rovers & dublin colours
yes i do remember the clubs early days and the association with green. just a personal opinion though I prefer red on a cork / any cork teams jersey.

Gerry Desmond
15/09/2001, 3:17 PM
The Rowan and Martin Laugh-in, to be precise.
Look out for re-runs... well worth it, if you can stomach the OTT fashion...

Guess Adam will have to censor 'bippy' now, whatcya think? :D

Gerry

Gerry Desmond
15/09/2001, 3:31 PM

yes i do remember the clubs early days and the association with green. just a personal opinion though I prefer red on a cork / any cork teams jersey.

OK, that's your preference and that's fine. I don't have a problem with Red & White myself. I'm not insisting we should be playing in Green & White either.
The colours of CCFC are Green, White AND Red. This colour combination was unique in this country which made it even more appealing. Off the top of my head the only other club I can think of this minute with similar colours would be Maritimo of Portugal. The colours were immediately identifiable as Cork City's. To the uninitiated now or outsiders, we are just another one of countless teams in red and white...
We haven't worn our proper colours since 1996. We lost part of our special identity - what a shame!
Does anyone care...?

Gerry The Great Traditionalist

Gerry

a.n.other
16/09/2001, 4:50 AM
we care , gerry, we care and we'll be shouting for you, no matter what you say or do we will always be shouting for you.

joe
16/09/2001, 5:40 PM
Originally posted by Gerry Desmond

Have seen the gear, rebel yell, though I haven't got a pic of it. Maybe Joe will stick one up on Monday....

wouldn't that be the job of the club's official photographer?

Click here for a pic (http://mmm.eircom.ie/soccer/eircomLeague/news/index.asp?StoryId=4793&PageCount=-20)

rebel yell
16/09/2001, 10:22 PM
Speaking of strips can anyone ( anorak?) tell me how come Shels were allowed to play in white and red and city in their Red and white? Surely Shels should have worn their away kit to avoid a
colour clash? Maybe the board thought that if Gunther was red carded they could have claimed not to
have seen the incident!

joe
16/09/2001, 10:25 PM
The white and red is Shels away, as opposed to their red and white home strip!

rebel yell
16/09/2001, 10:46 PM
Doh! Sorry Joe! I was thinking of a third strip for Shels but I suppose Eircom League clubs finances don't stretch that far!
Shels should obviously get an Oscar for being at the cutting edge of creativity in kit design.

pete
17/09/2001, 9:20 AM
Good to see City have decided to start the season now they got their new jerseys!

Peadar
17/09/2001, 10:31 AM
Originally posted by joe

Give me a chance Joe.
I'll try to get the pictures done today.

joe
17/09/2001, 11:26 AM
Originally posted by Barry's Tea

Give me a chance Joe.
I'll try to get the pictures done today.

assuming your battery doesn't go dead or anything like that :D

Peadar
17/09/2001, 12:28 PM
Originally posted by joe

assuming your battery doesn't go dead or anything like that :D

Just reaffirming my status as an amature.

Pauro 76
17/09/2001, 12:28 PM
Just seen the kit today, very nice it is too, and at least it isnt some exact design Umbro type rip off like some other clubs.

Peadar
17/09/2001, 4:04 PM
Have a few nice shots from yesterday and should scan them in tonight.

Gerry Desmond
18/09/2001, 3:16 PM
Originally posted by joe

Click here for a pic (http://mmm.eircom.ie/soccer/eircomLeague/news/index.asp?StoryId=4793&PageCount=-20)

But then they'd need an official site to post it on...:D

Gerry