PDA

View Full Version : Republic of Ireland V Poland - Wednesday, 19th November 2008 - Friendly

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

Noelys Guitar
19/11/2008, 8:54 PM
Poor first half from us. Get Keogh off. Nowhere near international standard. Duff has created some great chances for himself and then missed them. Folan looks useful and Doyle is playing well. We look very dodgy at the back which is a big worry. A better side than Poland would be 2 or 3 up by now.

the 12 th man
19/11/2008, 8:58 PM
Thank god it's only a friendly,agree Folan looks useful.Midfield is terrible so far.

ken foree
19/11/2008, 9:09 PM
wonderful 2nd for the poles. we are crap. they play simple two-touch football and we look ponderous and largely unimaginative thus far..

theworm2345
19/11/2008, 9:24 PM
Andrews for Gibson PLEASE

bobloblaw
19/11/2008, 9:25 PM
Exactly what we needed. Might snap a few day dreamers out of it.

cavan_fan
19/11/2008, 9:27 PM
Exactly what we needed. Might snap a few day dreamers out of it.

????
It's a meaningless friendly, I wouldnt be excited if we won, I wont be too disappointed if we lose. Just once no-one reads anything into it.

theworm2345
19/11/2008, 9:28 PM
Why the **** is Long coming on :rolleyes:

theworm2345
19/11/2008, 9:35 PM
Andrews for Gibson PLEASE
Thank you Trap

Fergie's Son
19/11/2008, 9:39 PM
Didn't think Gibson was that bad.

weldoninhio
19/11/2008, 9:42 PM
wats the attendence figures for tonighT?? is it a sell out???

theworm2345
19/11/2008, 9:42 PM
Didn't think Gibson was that bad.
He wasn't awful but he definitely wasn't good, and Andrews deserves a shot

Long has been better than I thought as well but I still don't rate him

ken foree
19/11/2008, 9:45 PM
we're at home right? :rolleyes:

Carrigaline
19/11/2008, 9:46 PM
Gibson did nothing. Couldn't impose himself on the game and looked out of his depth.

Closed Account
19/11/2008, 9:49 PM
Why the **** is Long coming on :rolleyes:
Won the penalty, Hunty(S) stuck it away.

Closed Account
19/11/2008, 9:49 PM
And we concede a third straight after. Great

theworm2345
19/11/2008, 9:50 PM
Won the penalty, Hunty(S) stuck it away.
Yes, like I said he's look better than I thought

Maroon 7
What a crazy finish. Three goals in three minutes.

2-3

SwanVsDalton
This match is going goal crazy..

strangeirish
19/11/2008, 9:51 PM
3-2! Damn...

irishbaz
19/11/2008, 9:51 PM
so many players who cant get a game for there own clubs are good enough for international team doesnt make sence they start , whelen, gibson and keogh!!! when we have andrews, garvan, reid, o toole, mc cann!! I was waiting for this as we have been lucky with some of our performances and some of the players starting for us in comparison to omitted players is shocking

SwanVsDalton
19/11/2008, 9:53 PM
Andrews has just leapt over Gibson and Whelan in my mind - for the record I thought Gibson did much more than Whelan tonight but that's saying nothing. Poor.

And I'm disappointed Foley and Delaney didn't get a run, Kilbane and McShane were poor for the 2nd match running.

Maroon 7
19/11/2008, 9:53 PM
Nearly nicked a draw at the death. Kilbane's shot looked like it was heading goalwards until it hit a Polish player.

an_ceannaire
19/11/2008, 9:55 PM
comebak or no comeback, tonight was a sad indictment of the state of Irish football and the status it now "enjoys" in the national psyche.

ifk101
19/11/2008, 9:58 PM
Andrews has just leapt over Gibson and Whelan in my mind - for the record I thought Gibson did much more than Whelan tonight but that's saying nothing. Poor.

That's the Derry in you. ;) Thought Whelan was much better than Gibson. Gibson was a passenger.

And I'm disappointed Foley and Delaney didn't get a run, Kilbane and McShane were poor for the 2nd match running.

Thought McShane did ok. Kilbane was a lot under pressure in the first half.

Damien Duff should of had a hat-trick. 3 good finishes by Poland and well done to their fans for getting behind their team.

irishbaz
19/11/2008, 10:00 PM
I cant believe we start we some of the players we do truely truely shocking we had no midfield and kilbane and mc shane poor keogh not good enogh for wolves yet hunt sits on the bench whelen and gibson not good enough for stoke and utd and play andrews sits on the bench and reid sits at home ho ho ho ho

Noelys Guitar
19/11/2008, 10:02 PM
Hunt showed the type of guile we need. Look at his corner kicks. Duff had been aiming them right at the keeper. Hunt started hitting them beyond the keeper and it worked. Long played well when he came on. Andrews finish was top drawer. Would have liked to have seen him start. Trap has to start having a good look at club form (and go to more matches).

SwanVsDalton
19/11/2008, 10:03 PM
That's the Derry in you. ;) Thought Whelan was much better than Gibson. Gibson was a passenger.

Well agree to disagree;)..though I do think Gibson is just slightly more likely to play a nice, forward pass now and again. Not that it matters much...

Thought McShane did ok. Kilbane was a lot under pressure in the first half.

I'd just like to see them be more dynamic, more overlaps, more anything. And it would have been worthwhile to give our cover full-backs a taste.

Closed Account
19/11/2008, 10:03 PM
Mariusz Lewandowski 1st goal (http://videos.sapo.pt/iker91/UE57ZK3Hsp9AzhaBiz4D)

Roger Guerreiro goal (http://videos.sapo.pt/iker91/ZguCTt7HHBT4s75NI7Z2)

Stephen Hunt Penalty (http://videos.sapo.pt/iker91/DVv1ZJA2atAfdsvCYRzd)

Keith Andrews goal (http://videos.sapo.pt/JzzEDYRbN0zUp4F8Ia6r)

irishbaz
19/11/2008, 10:05 PM
I am a blackburn season ticket holder and watch them home and away I thought buying Andrews was nuts but he has been top notch for rovers a real 100% player who can score a goal!! a super option for Ireland

Jicked
19/11/2008, 10:07 PM
Pity to lose the unbeaten record, but not too bad a night. More than the result, the big worry for me was that individual errors from certain players have crept back in.

Plus points: Folan looked good though far from the finished article another option to have, McShane didn't have one of his moments, Doyle showed he's developing in to real class act, Whelan had a good game though may not go noticed, Long looked good when coming on, Bruce showed he can be quite a good CB cover, Andrews confidence will be up after that.

Negative points: Errors from Dunne that havent been seen in a long time for Ireland. Andy Keogh was woeful. As was Duff's finishing. Too much of the game passed Gibson by. Folan didn't pick his man up for the first goal, though 3 minutes in to his full debut I suppose its not the end of the world. Kilbane struggled in the first half too.

Oh and for all those thinking they know more than Trap because they can read Teletext and team lineups and so think they know that Long should be ahead of Noel Hunt, Long is in the squad as a tricky wide player in the Duff mode, Noelio there to play the Robbie role. And Long played very well too.
Similarily for those saying Stephen Hunt should have started this game ahead of Keogh, what about those giving out that Trap is too settled with his lineup and should experiment more? And then there'll be those who will now say Stephen Hunt should start the next time, once he does people will be moaning that he fails to have the same impact over 90 minutes and that he's ****. Trap can't win with some of the "clued up" fans the Irish team has.

Overall a decent nights work, sad to lose but considering we ended with one of our most inexperienced front-6 of all time, and the host of chances we created that Duff fluffed, it wasn't too bad a night all things considered.

ifk101
19/11/2008, 10:08 PM
Well agree to disagree;)..though I do think Gibson is just slightly more likely to play a nice, forward pass now and again. Not that it matters much...

Whelan did play quite a few good balls forward. It's difficult to say watching the game on the telly but anytime Gibson came into the picture he seemed to be very static. He took the ball off Dunne's foot in the lead up to the second goal so .... :D

I'd just like to see them be more dynamic, more overlaps, more anything. And it would have been worthwhile to give our cover full-backs a taste.

He did get forward a bit but with McShane on the pitch I happy if he just focuses on the defensive side of things. :D

Noelys Guitar
19/11/2008, 10:15 PM
Pity to lose the unbeaten record, but not too bad a night. More than the result, the big worry for me was that individual errors from certain players have crept back in.

Plus points: Folan looked good though far from the finished article another option to have, McShane didn't have one of his moments, Doyle showed he's developing in to real class act, Whelan had a good game though may not go noticed, Long looked good when coming on, Bruce showed he can be quite a good CB cover, Andrews confidence will be up after that.

Negative points: Errors from Dunne that havent been seen in a long time for Ireland. Andy Keogh was woeful. As was Duff's finishing. Too much of the game passed Gibson by. Folan didn't pick his man up for the first goal, though 3 minutes in to his full debut I suppose its not the end of the world. Kilbane struggled in the first half too.

Oh and for all those thinking they know more than Trap because they can read Teletext and team lineups and so think they know that Long should be ahead of Noel Hunt, Long is in the squad as a tricky wide player in the Duff mode, Noelio there to play the Robbie role. And Long played very well too.
Similarily for those saying Stephen Hunt should have started this game ahead of Keogh, what about those giving out that Trap is too settled with his lineup and should experiment more? And then there'll be those who will now say Stephen Hunt should start the next time, once he does people will be moaning that he fails to have the same impact over 90 minutes and that he's ****. Trap can't win with some of the "clued up" fans the Irish team has.

Overall a decent nights work, sad to lose but considering we ended with one of our most inexperienced front-6 of all time, and the host of chances we created that Duff fluffed, it wasn't too bad a night all things considered.

Stephen Hunt changed the game for us. And I was one of the few on this board who thought he played well against Montenegro. Should he start over McGeady and Duff. No. Is he miles better than Keogh. Yes.

danonion
19/11/2008, 10:17 PM
That was a really good goal from Andrews. Missed the game though, can't make any judgements on the performance, however we really shouldn't be losing to Poland at home in any case.

I reckon I'd rather not go into the Italy/Bulgaria games or even the away trip to Cyprus with an undefeated streak intact, I'm pessimistic so I'd rather lose it now than then. I think

Trapattoni's selection has been woeful in all honesty, but I reckon we're still poised to do alright under his management. Forza Irlanda

Edit: I reckon Hunt scoring the penalty could be huge for us. In international football, the first goal is often the hardest. Love him or hate him, Hunt gets on the scoresheet pretty frequently for reading, even in the PL - maybe we could see some goals coming out of the midfield ...

19/11/2008, 10:17 PM

on 2 forums?? tut tut :)

Jicked
19/11/2008, 10:18 PM
Stephen Hunt changed the game for us. And I was one of the few on this board who thought he played well against Montenegro. Should he start over McGeady and Duff. No. Is he miles better than Keogh. Yes.
I agree with you 100%. But you know exactly what you get with Hunt, and so no problem trying out Keogh (who has impressed in training since the start of the Trap reign). Turns out Keogh was ****, no harm done, take him off after 60 minutes and lets see Hunt do exactly what we all knew he would do. Hardly worth complaining that Hunt should have been in from the start.

Jicked
19/11/2008, 10:19 PM
on 2 forums?? tut tut :)

:D Sorry I don't have time to personalise my reviews. If I did it'd take me hours to dumb it down for boards.ie standards.

19/11/2008, 10:21 PM
:D Sorry I don't have time to personalise my reviews. If I did it'd take me hours to dumb it down for boards.ie standards.

lazy :)

irishfan86
19/11/2008, 10:26 PM
On the balance of play, I think it should have been a draw- we should have had at least one more from Long's near goal, Duff's 2 or 3 chances, and Kilbane's volley at the end.

Poor defensive performance, but at least our substitutes showed us that they could change a game if required.

My player ratings:

Given - 6: Not at fault for the goals, but didn't have much to do otherwise.

Kilbane - 6: Poor use on the ball, worse off it. Unlucky not to score right at the death however.

Dunne - 6: Poor giveaways, maybe his worst game for Ireland ever?

O'Shea - 6: Unconvincing, probably at fault for the first goal.

McShane - 6: An improvement over his last showing, but that's not saying much.

Duff- 7: Was our most creative player, and best outlet from the wing. Should have done better with his chances.

Gibson - 6: Some positive through balls, but couldn't control the game.

Whelan -6: Looked ordinary.

Keogh -5: Had flashbacks to the Staunton era- this guy is not a winger.

Folan -7: Perhaps he shared some fault in our first goal allowed, but overall I was very impressed with his holdup play. Some very intelligent passes during the game, including the assist on Andrews' goal. I'd love to see Keane and him play together sometime.

Doyle -6: Good effort but it wasn't his day. Seemed invisible.

Bruce -6: Turned easily for the third goal, but in his defence nearly scored one off a corner.

Long - 8: Won a penalty and nearly scored. Perhaps this will shut up some of those who were wanting Noel Hunt in ahead of him.

N. Hunt -5: Should have been sent off for a dangerous two footed tackle. Did nothing in his time on the field except show that idiocy runs in the family.

S. Hunt - 7: The energy level of the entire team was raised when he stepped on the pitch. He worked hard, won corners, and took his penalty very well.

Andrews -8: Took his goal well, I'd prefer him in over Gibson.

Bottle of Tonic
19/11/2008, 10:54 PM
Not too worried about the loss and agree with alot of what Jicked says.
We humped Denmark 0-4 a year ago, these friendlies are a useful work out and nothing more.

That said would have liked to see more lads playing first team club football on the park - especially when those keeping them out aren't miles ahead of them in ability( or even ahead of them at all) ie Whelan/Andrews, Gibson/Garvan, Hunt/Keogh etc.

Folan was a plus.

Bottom line for me is the likes of Poland are way ahead of us in terms of ability, passing and so on but then again 'lesser nations' (not saying poland are one of these) have been better technically than us for years. When we are successful we find away past this handicap though....

OneRedArmy
19/11/2008, 11:06 PM
Not sure why people are focusing so much on our creativity, whilst we didn't play that well we created a few chances in the first half & Folan really held it up well.

But our defence was truly awful. Marking was loose, positioning poor & distribution thoughtless for all of them.

Also, the Polish fans showed the Irish barstool generation what supporting a team is all about.

eirebhoy
19/11/2008, 11:07 PM
McShane was pretty solid I thought and it seems to be a popular thing to say he was poor when he wasn't. Involved in the play a lot in the first half. Taken off in the 2nd half as he's one of 3 outfield players likely to start for their clubs this weekend. Duff and Doyle taken off too.

Impressed with Folan. Always looking to play the first time pass and keep the game flowing.

We created a few. Duff should have definitely scored 2 and maybe 3. The chance cleared off the line. Kilbane's goal bound shot blocked. Plus the 2 goals and a few more chances. Not a fantastic performance though but I'm not too disappointed because I know we have the players, even if they didn't play.

FarBeag
19/11/2008, 11:22 PM
That game was crying out for Andy Reid. I don’t care what Trap thinks of Andy and his ability to fit into his system but he is head and shoulders above any of the mid-fielders on show this evening bar Duff.

Everything about Poland from their players to their Fans was better than anything we produced.

We are in big trouble unless we sort our back line and centre of midfield out. We have no creative player what so ever in that team, maybe Hunt and Duff but no one else. Keogh is rubbish on the wing. I like the look of Folan. To be honest the only positives from this evening was him, Andrews and Long.

We lost to-night and we were lucky against Cyprus and unless Trap starts going to games including the championship and seeing for himself which players are doing the business week in week out we are in trouble. This is not a knee jerk reaction. It was clear for everyone to see during the Cyprus match. Bring back Andy Reid.

drummerboy
19/11/2008, 11:22 PM
Given - Dependable performance
McShane Only ok. Gets caught for pace too often
Kilbane. I'm a big fan of Kevin, but tonight he was poor
O'Shea. Ok. Wouldn't blame him for first goal.
Dunne. A bit sloppy at times.

Keogh. I like this lad but Trap doing him a big diservice playing him on the wing, especiall when he was put on the left
Whelan. Very average, Better than Gibson
Gibson. Not ready for international football
Duff: played with guile and enthusiasm but could have had a hatrick

Doyle Looked good and worked tirelessly
Folan. Some nice touches. Looked to have clear run on goal a couple of times only to be tharted at last minute.

Bruce. Loooked good in air but was caught cold for 3rd goal
Andrews Took his goal well. Looked busy, gave ball away twice.
Long Good night from him. Trap will keep him in mind
Hunt. Could say the same as Long.

I think we need to recall Carsley for Gibson for the upcoming qualifiers if he is going to keep playing the same formation.

richieos
19/11/2008, 11:25 PM
a midfield of andrews and carsley would be perfect for the next qualifiers.. also, possible future for shane long as a right winger? ive never seen him make that kind of impact..

Jicked
20/11/2008, 12:45 AM
That game was crying out for Andy Reid. I don’t care what Trap thinks of Andy and his ability to fit into his system but he is head and shoulders above any of the mid-fielders on show this evening bar Duff.

It really, really wasn't. I'd have Andy Reid in the squad for sure, and I don't think the two guys in the middle set the world on fire tonight, but its the sort of game Andy Reid wouldn't have made a lick of difference in, just as he didn't in so many games of this type in years gone past. We created plenty of chances, what we needed was more bite in the middle which even Reid's biggest fans wouldn't say is his big asset.

What makes you think it was a game crying out for Andy Reid??! If you said the game was crying out for Lee Carsley I'd have disagreed with you, but at least see where you were coming from.

For what its worth, I felt the game was crying out for one man...Steven Reid. If we don't make it to South Africa his injury may be a massive factor in that. Far big a factor than picking McShane ahead of Foley or whoever as second choice full back.

Jicked
20/11/2008, 12:48 AM
I've been a big fan of Carsley in the past, but for those advocating him now do you really think he has the legs for it still? Remember he became a key part of our midfield under Staunton but we were still overwhelmed time and time again with him in the side in that campaign. Sadly I don't think he's a quick fix this time.

back of the net
20/11/2008, 1:02 AM
firstly thought the lack of irish support at the game was embarrasing.

centre midfield..i dont care how good gibson could/will be ..and same for whelan ...but unless they are getting first team football then they dont belong in those posiitions

poland are a poor side and we have just conceded three goals to them at home ...
friendly or not , but that just is not good enough..our tactics and selection were the only reason for that defeat , nothing to do with poland being any good

LaoisLads
20/11/2008, 1:10 AM
just home from the match. thought it was very frustrating.:mad: disappointing performance against a fairly ordinary side. duff had a poor night all round from where i was sitting, his positioning was brutal and as for his finishing... (or lack of!) i was impressed with folan, he seems to have a great attitude. another decent game from doyle.
but seriously lads what can be done about the state of our centre midfield? we could be in serious bother against bulgaria and italy if its not sorted...

Crosby87
20/11/2008, 1:10 AM
Without Keane and McGeady its not a terrible result.
The rest is simple---depending on injuries the team has a shot.

beepbeep
20/11/2008, 3:19 AM
WHY is it, that the whole nation can see, that our central midfielders as in Whelan and Gibson are just not good enough for international football, yet the management team cant. SHAME on brady,trap and the rest...this is OUR international team, and to shut the door on the likes of andy reid,and leave it wide open with a special ivitation ribbon on it for s.Ireland,well it is an embarrasment.
The midfield is our main concern, i am extremely worried by our 'system', we wer found out tonight. The game needed someone like a.reid.
I presume, unless there are injuries that this is our central midfield pairing for the upcoming qualifiers?? wer in trouble if thats the case.
Whelan cant get a game,same for gibson...sure is it any wonder trap doesnt go to watch any club games in england....none of the f*cking squad plays regular football!! ok thats an exageration maybe but, its annoying me that he continues to pick these two. id perfer carsley in there, even andrews seeing as he plays more for his club.
Keogh on the wing is a no no....and unless steve finnan is fit for the games id rather have garry kelly playin right back for us! mc shane, no offence to him is as slow as a turtle.
Folan looked decent upfront,duff had his chances and i wont critise him for his effort.

SHAME ON THE CROWD LEAVING WITH 10 MINS TO GO. where is the support?alltough it was a poor game.