PDA

View Full Version : Republic of Ireland V Poland - Wednesday, 19th November 2008 - Friendly

Pages : 1 2 3 [4]

DeLorean
21/11/2008, 1:29 PM
Jesus it wasn't too long ago that I was shouting for Kavanagh to come in to midfield. He did come in for a bit, in place of Matt Holland who hardly kicked a ball for us in so many games. Kinsella played a bit here and there but he was past it and was moving to clubs like Walsall. Healy also played a few games while Kilbane was a mainstay in the centre.

We had Steve Finnan filling in at right midfield a lot. Duff had to play up front a bit before Morrison broke in the team. Morrison's nowhere near this squad. Gary Doherty played almost 20 times under Kerr. Gary Breen and Ian Harte a good few games. Alan Maybury. Alan Lee. Stephen Carr was well past it. Nick Colgan was our sub keeper before Kenny. David Connolly and Alan Quinn got 6 caps each. Stephen Elliott was breaking into the team, albeit a good young player.

Do not tell me this is the worst set of players in 20 years. :) We're never going to have fabulous strength in depth but with everyone fit we've a very strong first team with the exception of the left back spot. There's plenty of back up players but we can't do without Richard Dunne, just like there was no way we could survive without Cunningham under Kerr.

Also, I'd say we could put a midfield together from the current set of players that would outplay any Keane-less team from the McCarthy/Kerr/Stan era.

I'd agree with this. I think we've the bones of a good side and to be fair if the two Reids were playing and Stephen Ireland was available it would have the look of a seriously strong side. Fair enough this isn't the case so there's not much point in talking bout it. Still though we've a world class gk, a world class central defender in Dunne, 2 Champions Lge winners in Finnan and O'Shea (I know I'm being generous to O'Shea here with my choice of words but he's adequate with Dunne beside him). I honestly think Kilbane has finally found his true calling at left back. In McGeady and Duff we have two genuinley skillful and exciting wingers, although I do feel McGeady does him best work on the left cutting in but this is managable). In Doyle we've got a highly intelligent football brain who gives every last bit he has and Robbie Keane has 35 intl goals which is unheard of for an Irish striker really, especially at a relatively young age of 28. Centre mid's obviously an absolutely massive issue but worst team in 20yrs, you're having a laugh!!!

irishultra
21/11/2008, 1:37 PM
the formation is unrealistic but i wish a manager came in and just went for something innovative, the players u listed there ciaran show we do have the players(if they all wanted to play and were fit) to play a flexible and on paper attacking formation.

tetsujin1979
21/11/2008, 1:40 PM
How much money would you pay to watch this team play? :rolleyes:

---------------Given----------

-----O'Shea----Dunne----O'Brien

-------------Steven Reid--------
---------Andy Reid----Ireland-------
Duff---------------------------McGeady
---------Keane--------Doyle----------

That'd send shivers down the spine of any defence in the world, I mean jesus how do you defend against the combined creativity of 2 Reids and Ireland, Duff and McGeady flying at you and the finishing of Keane and Doyle?
Bomb long balls into the corners, and play a big target man in the middle. Duff and McGeady are not known for tracking back, so there would be a massive amount of space for speedy wingers to exploit out there which would drag the outside centre half away from the centre of defence, leaving 2 defenders VS 2 opposition strikers.
O'Shea and O'Brien look shaky enough in a four man defence. God knows what they're like in a 3-man. Play someone like Ibrahimovic, Berbatov, or Crouch against them and someone with pace to run off the balls they'd win in the air.
That team would be like Brazil going forward, but one tackler in midfield leaves the defence painfully exposed.
Trapattoni's teams are built with 6 defensive players (4 defenders + 2 defensive central midfielders) and 4 attacking players (2 wingers + 2 strikers), your team has 4 defensive players + 6 attackers. Keegan would be proud.

eirebhoy
21/11/2008, 1:43 PM
Sorry, yeah, it was Bruce. When Andrews scored, I thought it was Bruce, didn't realise it was Andrews until the announcer called out his name.
I actually thought it was Andrews coming on when it was Bruce. :D

DeLorean
21/11/2008, 1:47 PM
How much money would you pay to watch this team play? :rolleyes:

-----O'Shea----Dunne----O'Brien

Duff---------------------------McGeady
---------Keane--------Doyle----------

That'd send shivers down the spine of any defence in the world, I mean jesus how do you defend against the combined creativity of 2 Reids and Ireland, Duff and McGeady flying at you and the finishing of Keane and Doyle?

Ya the personnel is appealing but tis far too attack minded. I'd prefer....

Finnan-----O'Shea----Dunne----Kilbane

Doyle-----------------------Duff/McGeady
----------------Keane------------------

tetsujin1979
21/11/2008, 1:47 PM
I actually thought it was Andrews coming on when it was Bruce. :D
Bruce was wearing 19, and Andrews was wearing 12. From where I was sitting up in the Gods at the back of the Cusack, it was hard to tell the difference!

paul_oshea
21/11/2008, 1:49 PM
to be honest i'm sick of the formations threads that appear on here because we will never see them and its futile. Can we buy Ireland like that football club in england and the majority get to pick the players.

DeLorean
21/11/2008, 2:17 PM
to be honest i'm sick of the formations threads that appear on here because we will never see them and its futile. Can we buy Ireland like that football club in england and the majority get to pick the players.

True enough for u.....we like tormenting ourselves though all the same!!!

viagogo
21/11/2008, 10:09 PM
italy ARE a poor team. who's italy'sbest player? cannavaro. and he's practically finished, he's been rubbish for real madrid. they have no strikers as i've said. their midfield is very ordinary, gattuso and de rossi??? hardly anything special. and then you've dossena at left back along with matterazzi centre-half?and you're telling me the only irish player who'd get on the team is robbie keane?! wake up man. even the italian press have said italy are shi%te, i will go to the bookies tomorrow and bet everything i own that italy will not retain the world cup, in fact i'd put a bet on that they won't even qualify. ireland have a better squad

Is this a wind up. We have a better squad. Have you seen the Irish team.What Irish player would get in their squad.

DeLorean
12/09/2016, 2:35 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jfO0JGTFHLw

DeLorean
13/09/2016, 7:57 AM
Closed thread.