PDA

View Full Version : Andy Reid

petef
25/10/2003, 3:59 PM
Hes banging them in for fun lately, scored another cracker today and set up the first goal for Forest, a call up is a must. If it doesnt happen I'll write to Mr Kerr myself. Hes the most exciting Irish player I've seen in long while.

Slash/ED
25/10/2003, 4:27 PM
He's every bit as exciting as Duff or Keane was when they were emerging divison one players. He has everything, pace, skill, fantastic passing ability long range and short and a great shot on him.

I just saw his goal against West Ham from wednesday today, what a goal but that's just the norm for him really, and another goal and assist today.

Criminal, absolutley criminal he hasn't been capped yet. If he doesn't make the next squad Kerr should be committed.

tricky_colour
27/10/2003, 12:17 AM
If you exclude penalties he is joint top scorer (of 3) in the first division, which ain't too bad for a winger, although he did play a short spell up front for Forest in his last game, Forest's other main striker has a broken leg (I believe Reid started out as a striker).
Interestingly enough Kerr was at the City ground (Forest) several weeks ago, it seems he was watching Stephen McPhail, who he selected for the squad, he is regarded as an excellent passer of the ball but most Forest fans would regard Reid, as a key man in the team, if not the key man.
Some Forest fans refer to him as ' Little Figo'.
He has also been compared to John Robertson from Forest's 'Glory Years' (Two European Cups etc...).
I haven't seen much of him myself (I usually listen on the radio), but when Reidy has the ball you *expect* something to happen, something which seems to have been missing in Irelands most recent games.
He seems to be able to provide that little bit of magic that can turn a game.
I am not saying he would solve all Ireland problems, but if I was the opposition manager, I would fear him more than 90% of the current squad. Reid and Duff would give me a lot to think about, too prongs seem better than one.
Incidently Reids last goal, another 25 yard effort was scored off his 'weaker' right foot. :cool:

gustavo
27/10/2003, 11:58 AM
its hardly "criminal" that he hasnt been capped yet seeing as there was no clamour to have him capped till this season and that all lour games so far this season were important euro qualifiers where experience was vital . im sure he will get capped in the new year though..

Slash/ED
27/10/2003, 12:52 PM
Originally posted by gustavo
its hardly "criminal" that he hasnt been capped yet seeing as there was no clamour to have him capped till this season and that all lour games so far this season were important euro qualifiers where experience was vital . im sure he will get capped in the new year though..

I'd rather have had Reid then most of those 'experienced' players who played against Russia and Switzerland.

gustavo
27/10/2003, 1:18 PM
true but they were all players who done us proud in the past just ballsed it up on the day . who's to say reid would have bottled it too its better that he is eased into it. at the moment he seems a better right wing prospect than his namesake at blackburn.

finlma
27/10/2003, 2:40 PM
Its great to see Reid playing so well. Lets hope Kerr gets him in for a few friendlies and get him used to international football. Hopefully Forest will go up this season too so Reid and McPhail will be playing Premiership football.

brine2
27/10/2003, 4:10 PM
And your man Thompson. We could do with another centreback.

Slash/ED
27/10/2003, 5:49 PM
Thompson seems to be that emerging player who everyones ignoreing really, the hype around Miller and Reid means everyones been fairly quiet about him.

But that doens't take away anything from him. He's a regular at Forest and is playing superb by all accounts, a centre back for the future. A bit like James O'Connor in that few people seem to talk about him, he's another essential player to be capped over the upcoming friendlys.

tricky_colour
27/10/2003, 9:32 PM
Yep I have heard some glowing reports about Thompsom too
I think he is another to watch closely. Obviously you tend to
get the limelight when you are scoreing the goals, but Thompson
is pretty essentail to Forest too, when the England U21 defender
Dawson went off Forest scored two goals, so he wasn't missed
too much.

petef
03/11/2003, 10:48 PM
Thompson is good first division standard at the moment, it would take a lot to step up to International level.

tricky_colour
04/11/2003, 12:01 AM
Originally posted by petef
Thompson is good first division standard at the moment, it would take a lot to step up to International level.

Maybe so, and there are also several top half premiership
first team defenders he would be in competiton with,
Cunningham, O'Shea, Carr, Finnan, O'Brien etc..
which makes you wonder why Ireland fared so badly in the
qualifiers. But thats another question.
He is certaintly one to consider for the future though.

John83
04/11/2003, 1:52 PM
Originally posted by tricky_colour
qualifiers. But thats another question.
He is certaintly one to consider for the future though.

Carr and Finnan? Does he play RB too?

pineapple stu
04/11/2003, 2:47 PM
Originally posted by tricky_colour
qualifiers.

Actually, we had the joint-best defensive record in the group, along with Switzerland. While we looked shaky there at times, it seems our real problems were more at the other end. Top scorer for us? Gary Doherty with three!

tricky_colour
04/11/2003, 3:34 PM
Originally posted by John83
Carr and Finnan? Does he play RB too?

Can play right-back, central defender or mid-field, although
usually a central defender.

petef
06/11/2003, 8:40 AM
Well Andy Reid scored again thats nine goals for a midfielder, Miller also looked superb last night, another great attacking mid on the way.

Greenbod
06/11/2003, 9:37 AM
Reid just won the Div 1 player of the month award.