PDA

View Full Version : Mick to take a step back?

Youths4Ever
17/11/2008, 7:52 PM
very interesting Mick's view this week strongly hints that will step back from seniors and under 20 next year

"I said at the start of our League of Ireland campaign that I’d probably manage the senior team for 2 or 3 years and that’s probably how it will work out. It’s probably a bit mad that I should manage 17’s, 18’s, 20’s and senior and it would be almost impossible to keep doing it. After next season, I think I would be content to just do the 17’s and 18’s where I feel I can be of most benefit."

Full article http://www.wexfordyouthsfc.ie/seasonend.html

oldyouth
17/11/2008, 9:41 PM
It's too much for one man as it is. I'm sure he will only hand over when he has the right man for the job. Would Noel take it?

Splurge
17/11/2008, 10:25 PM
It's too much for one man as it is. I'm sure he will only hand over when he has the right man for the job. Would Noel take it?

Id prefer Noal tbh, according to that article he'll most likely be in charge next season which will be his last.

passinginterest
18/11/2008, 9:20 AM
I think now would be a good time for Mick to step back. It can't be possible to give full commitment to 5 teams. He can concentrate on what he's really good at, developing the young players, and allow someone like Noel O'Connor, or another experienced senior coach to take the senior team to the next level. Wouldn't be sure if O'Connor is that man, by all accounts he's an excellent coach but his time as manager at Limerick was a bit of a disaster, he probably deserves the first chance to see what he's learned and as a reward for his commitment over the last 2 years. Sounds like Wallace might try and keep going for another year, but I think now is the time to go.

Sunny Jim
18/11/2008, 10:23 AM
How will it work with a new manager for the senior team though?

Mick seems to want to blood new players all the time, sometimes at the expense of longstanding and established members of the squad. Will a new manager be given free rein to pick who he wants to pick? Or will Mick insist that the new manager must include some of the “babies” even if he doesn't want to?

If it's to be the latter, I can't see many candidates banging down Mick's door looking for the job.

While I’m all for giving the “babies” a chance every now and again, when there are injuries and suspensions, I feel that Mick has sometimes been too hasty.

Personally, I hope that if Mick does step down, that a new manager will be allowed to pick who he wants without interference. We're destined to stay around the bottom of the First Division (or God forbid, even lower) if Mick insists on alienating established squad members.

oldyouth
18/11/2008, 12:21 PM
Fully agree Sunny Jim. I think part of the problem this season has been the rush to blood youngsters. It will need a strong manager to be able to tell Mick 'No' and I don't know if Noel is that man or indeed if he wants the job at all. He made a good speech after the game on Saturday, saying the many journeys to and from Limerick are not a chore to him, that he loves it.

L37Ultra
19/11/2008, 12:35 PM
Is it true he is also the groundman and electrician down at Wexford? :D

No wonder he needs to take a step back. Some man for one man

Mcgeady46
19/11/2008, 1:03 PM
I suppose the club is gettin bigger (with more under age teams etc.)
and it seems that Mick is spreading himself thin
al the same not doin a bad job either now is he

Footsoldier
19/11/2008, 2:26 PM

Actually L37, you're thinking of Seanie O'Shea! :D Seanie is groundsman, bus driver and general doer of jobs around the place. He's the real driving force behind the Youths. Mick does fcuk all!

Youths4Ever
19/11/2008, 4:44 PM
Actually L37, you're thinking of Seanie O'Shea! :D Seanie is groundsman, bus driver and general doer of jobs around the place. He's the real driving force behind the Youths. Mick does fcuk all!

Hope you joking about Mick and don't worry Seanie is getting well paid for his work

Lim till i die
21/11/2008, 9:26 PM
Fully agree Sunny Jim. I think part of the problem this season has been the rush to blood youngsters. It will need a strong manager to be able to tell Mick 'No' and I don't know if Noel is that man or indeed if he wants the job at all. He made a good speech after the game on Saturday, saying the many journeys to and from Limerick are not a chore to him, that he loves it.

You don't want NOC as manager.

Excellent coach but a poor manager.

Couldn't get several very good Limerick teams promoted.

Our second half of season collapses were near hilarious.

Footsoldier
24/11/2008, 1:17 PM
Hope you joking about Mick and don't worry Seanie is getting well paid for his work

Eh, I thought it was obvious I was joking about Mick. Lighten up!

holidaysong
04/12/2008, 1:44 PM
Any word on whether Mick will stay on as manager of the senior team next year?

oldyouth
04/12/2008, 3:54 PM
Any word on whether Mick will stay on as manager of the senior team next year?
He has stated that he would like the club to be in a position to let him step back from the senior team at the end of NEXT season, to allow him more time to develop the young lads. It would be very important to him that the right structure be in place before he does anything

Youths4Ever
04/12/2008, 4:48 PM
I see Noel has received his A license as well now it on front page of website

LK37oldskool
09/12/2008, 5:23 PM

Doubt he's a qualified electrician! Don't mention the lights!!!:eek:

Sunny Jim
21/01/2010, 7:21 AM
So Mick has finally decided to let Noel O'Connor have a go. I hope now he lets Noel do his own thing and pick who he wants. It will be interesting to see how it goes, hopefully we'll score more goals than last year when I think only Kildare scored less than us.

Youths4Ever
21/01/2010, 8:30 AM
So Mick has finally decided to let Noel O'Connor have a go. I hope now he lets Noel do his own thing and pick who he wants. It will be interesting to see how it goes, hopefully we'll score more goals than last year when I think only Kildare scored less than us.

is there confirmation on this anywhere? had expected it to happen but just wondering was it official yet

passinginterest
21/01/2010, 8:41 AM
It will be interesting to see if Mick gives Noel any kind of budget to bring in players. I'd imagine the finances are very tight at the moment but a couple of more experieced players, having lost Conor and Peter, are needed if they're going to push on from last season. Hopefully the senior squad will be more consistent this year, rather than the constant rotation and introduction of various youngsters, if players show potential in the underage teams they can be promoted next season, or in outstanding cases pulled out of the underage squads and promoted to the senior squad properly.

Sunny Jim
21/01/2010, 9:18 AM
is there confirmation on this anywhere? had expected it to happen but just wondering was it official yet

Well I don't live in Wexford but I understand it was announced on SE Radio last night. Also there's a bit on the Supporters Club website about it.

Sunny Jim
21/01/2010, 9:21 AM
Hopefully the senior squad will be more consistent this year

Absolutely PI, I think consistency is the key if we're not to go backward this year. The constant chopping and changing last year didn't do the team any good at all.

Bluebeard
21/01/2010, 11:18 AM
While I'm not a fan of NOC, I do hope he does develop the club from being a recipient of feeder clubs, blooding youth at a cost, to being an upwardly mobile club. Hopefully Mick didn't stay in the job too long into the close season, and hopefully NOC will be his own man. I'd be delighted if you could join us in promotion this season. I might also be dreaming given that we both might have Derry and Cork to contend with.

Martinho II
22/01/2010, 4:43 PM
:eek:Who will be NOC no 2 now? PD?:confused:

adamski8
22/01/2010, 5:13 PM
PD hasnt worked with the youths for at least a season i think (but im not 100%)

Darkglasses
23/01/2010, 3:23 PM
Can't imagine it's PD, I'll never get over THAT time the ref held up the re-start because of him arriving at half-time. Think it was against UCD?