PDA

View Full Version : Sligo Rovers in Europe

Pages : [1] 2

Inside Man
15/11/2008, 1:43 AM
Think I'm right in posting this on this forum as it regards the whole league.
First time in 12yrs and its somewhat of a fairytale for us.
But what do other fans of the eircom league think? Is this good? I know alot of people think that we will undo all the good work done in europe over the last few years. (Lets hope not)

Just worth noting. All the National papers didn't even give this run in alot of coverage because they thought Cork had it in their pocket. Also on MNS they seemed adament Cork had it in the bag. Well there you go, against all the odds and critics.
Anyway what does the average Joe say? Is it a backwards step for the league?

gilberto_eire
15/11/2008, 2:07 AM
Congrats to Sligo, even though they hit financial difficulty they didn't seem to go as far as Cork so from that regard would have been a bit unfair to see a team in major trouble(at thew time anyway) qualify for Europe after selling their better players.....

Don't think ye'll do too bad... is the Showgies up to Euro standard?

KoemansCC
15/11/2008, 2:21 AM
Congrats to Sligo, wholeheartedly!!...

European football in Connaught, make sure you keep our place warm ;)

Ceirtlis
15/11/2008, 3:06 AM
Best of luck in Europe our Connacht friends. Come to Terryland if they dont let ye use the Showgrounds.

Rovers fan
15/11/2008, 3:55 AM
European football in Connaught, make sure you keep our place warm ;)

But there's only one team in connacht:confused:

;)

GalwayTillIDye
15/11/2008, 3:56 AM
Yep fair dues, good strong finish to the season for Sligo and a well deserved European slot...

If we keep our own momentum going next season now that we have a manager that can actually coach a decent game of football , you might actually have some competition...:rolleyes:

brianw82
15/11/2008, 7:57 AM

I don't think it's a backwards step at all. We would still be ahead of Drogheda even with their points deduction, and Cork are paying for the sins of their directors. Rules are rules, and they're usually broken by directors and not players, but the players are the ones who pay in the end. I do feel a bit sorry for their players/fans, as they were good enough on the pitch, but they didn't do the league any favours with their performance in Finland this year.

CuanaD
15/11/2008, 8:03 AM
Great result for Sligo last night - congrats & I hope you'll do well in UEFA next year - i like the football Cook has you playing now & it could suit the Euro game.

As for letting down the side in Europe - you couldn't do much worse than Cork did this year!
(yes I know that was just a blip - they have had some great results in the past 5 years)

oriel
15/11/2008, 9:20 AM
Great achievement by Sligo, a proper club, a real football town, good support - best of luck to them + you cant helping liking Paul Cooke, comes across as such a decent fella

Patrick Dunne
15/11/2008, 9:39 AM
Fair play to Sligo. Their supporters really rallied around when they were in trouble earlier in the season.

Magicme
15/11/2008, 9:43 AM
Well done Sligo. Its not hard to tell that the Galway fans are on a high, they are being very kind to Sligo!

Poor Student
15/11/2008, 9:44 AM

We can't think like that. This is football and it's good to see the underdog or the unlikely team achieve something. If we become too obsessed with only certain sides getting into Europe to maintain the coefficient then it sucks the life out of the game. I'd love the coefficient to improve as much as the next man and I wish Sligo the best of luck in trying to do so. Well done.

citybone
15/11/2008, 10:47 AM
Think I'm right in posting this on this forum as it regards the whole league.
First time in 12yrs and its somewhat of a fairytale for us.
But what do other fans of the eircom league think? Is this good? I know alot of people think that we will undo all the good work done in europe over the last few years. (Lets hope not)

Just worth noting. All the National papers didn't even give this run in alot of coverage because they thought Cork had it in their pocket. Also on MNS they seemed adament Cork had it in the bag. Well there you go, against all the odds and critics.
I am gutted we didnt qualify for the first time since 2003! Not a bad record at all (Yee will be seeded in the 1st round of the new europa league qualifiers and should win that alright its the second qualifying round i am worried about.

Yes Cork let down the league last summer (i was there) but i honestly think it would be better for the league to have us representing the league considering we had a better season than sligo and have better facilities, just the 10 point deduction finished us off and we do deserve some punishment for our financial difficulties so congrats to sligo, Do us proud!

rambler14
15/11/2008, 11:42 AM
Well Done Sligo......well deserved!:)

Tir Oilean
15/11/2008, 12:21 PM
Fair play Sligo for snatching the last spot. Twas ridiculous that the media didnt even discuss ye as potential qualifiers!:confused:

Best of luck in the Europa League

PS We still hate ye ;)

carrickharp
15/11/2008, 12:36 PM
Well done to Sligo, fair play to ye and enjoy it!!

GalwayRed
15/11/2008, 12:39 PM
Fair play to Sligo well deserved and not a backwards step for the league IMO. You finished in the top 4 so youre good enough to represent irish teams in europe simple as.

don ramo
15/11/2008, 12:41 PM
well done lads,

pete
15/11/2008, 12:43 PM
If we were not to get it then Sligo seems as good as any club.

If the Showgrounds if not suitable will ye move to the Brandywell?

Remember with European football comes the responsibility if performing. Unless ye get through a couple of rounds no money to be made as will be lucky to break even.

What were Sligos results like in the past?

Longfordian
15/11/2008, 12:46 PM
Congrats Sligo. If ye need a ground we'd be delighted to have ye at the Flansiro. A second home for some of ye already anyway!.

Olander
15/11/2008, 12:47 PM
Congrats Sligo :)

Flexy
15/11/2008, 1:26 PM
Well done Sligo well done galway great achievements this season, and good luck to dundalk tonight would love to see another non dublin team in the premier division next season and spread the league around a bit

Rovers1
15/11/2008, 1:41 PM
:D, :D

still dont know what to think

what a season, hero's every one of them.:D

WoodquayBoy
15/11/2008, 2:21 PM
Delighted for Sligo, well done, intend on travelling to your home game next season.
NOt sure you can say ye are there on merit as Cork were deducted 10 points, but that shouldn't take away from the celebrations, well done

biscuit
15/11/2008, 4:08 PM
living abroad for last few months, last night was the first time feeling homesick! i remember our last great euro nights, some of my best memories of rovers! so proud of our lads and cookie!
come on the bit of red!
i bet johnny chadda is smiling down!:D

bellavistaman
15/11/2008, 5:58 PM
Delighted for Sligo great club with a great history, brilliant manager and in my opinion one of the top 3 players in the league with Boco.

sligoman
15/11/2008, 7:50 PM
0FLTMzOZuNs

Don't know why it's fuzzy at times. The video itself isn't, it's just when it was uploaded.

micls
15/11/2008, 8:01 PM
Congrats lads. Enjoy ye're Odyssey!!

passinginterest
15/11/2008, 8:04 PM
Delighted for Sligo. Enough good players and a good enough style of football to do reasonably well in Europe. Hopefully Cooke will have learned to be a little more ruthless, at times this year the play seemed a little naive particularly away to Pat's, (a game I was at) they were just too open.

Red&White Rover
15/11/2008, 8:14 PM
I still can't believe it.

Captain2007
15/11/2008, 8:27 PM
Well Done to Sligo, at the game on Friday and there was terrific support and atmosphere and the players stepped up to the plate,credit must go to Paul Cook and his backroom staff on an exceptional season, judging by the players reaction after the final whistle,no doubt they will give it their all in Europe next season.

Bray Wanderers fan!!

SligoBrewer
15/11/2008, 8:29 PM
I still can't believe it.

Either can I. After that, i'll never buy butter ever again.

exiled_gufc_fan
15/11/2008, 8:38 PM
Fair play Sligo!

good to see one Connacht side in Europe (and United were only 90 minutes away from Europe) - hopefully next season we'll both make it!

Nah Nah Nah Nah
15/11/2008, 9:34 PM
If we were not to get it then Sligo seems as good as any club.

If the Showgrounds if not suitable will ye move to the Brandywell?

Remember with European football comes the responsibility if performing. Unless ye get through a couple of rounds no money to be made as will be lucky to break even.

What were Sligos results like in the past?

77 and 83 weren't great but 94 was good, got through a round against a Malteste team and gave Bruges a good battle. 2 draws at home with Herenveen and Nantes in the intertoto a couple of years after that.

I know we're only there cause Cork got the 10 points deducted but I'm delighted we finished ahead of them rather then maybe getting there if they were banned as was the talk a few months ago

Wonder what Hughesie and Faz are up to midweek in July?

Red&White Rover
15/11/2008, 10:32 PM
They must be spitting...

sligo23
15/11/2008, 10:42 PM
77 and 83 weren't great but 94 was good, got through a round against a Malteste team and gave Bruges a good battle. 2 draws at home with Herenveen and Nantes in the intertoto a couple of years after that.

I know we're only there cause Cork got the 10 points deducted but I'm delighted we finished ahead of them rather then maybe getting there if they were banned as was the talk a few months ago

Wonder what Hughesie and Faz are up to midweek in July?
They'll be at work:D

robertob
16/11/2008, 10:19 AM
Congratulations Sligo! Great season and great success for the club. I'm happy because I predict before the season, that Sligo will have a good season. :)

btw: Which international competition achieved Sligo? UEFA Cup or UI Cup?

sligoman
16/11/2008, 12:39 PM
btw: Which international competition achieved Sligo? UEFA Cup or UI Cup?Uefa Cup, or Europa Cup as it will be called next year.

Martinho II
16/11/2008, 2:51 PM
was at the game friday night easily the best atmosphere in the showgrounds in years.. delighted for the lads ... best of luck in yer journey next season!

LondonRover
17/11/2008, 9:06 AM
Don't really see how it can be a step back for the LOI. We might not be a 'glamour' team from Dublin or have the crowds of Derry or Cork (for all the good it did the Rebels) but we're a 'proper' club with proper support and heritage ("80 years and we've had one name!") as well as playing probably the most attractive football in the League.

Plus, to be honest, it's got to be good for the LOI itself if a wider spread of teams from around the country get the chance of exposure to European football bringing in extra sponsorship and - potentially - support.

I for one am very proud of the lads (especially after the mid season we had) and can't wait to dig out the passport next summer... :)

red_away
17/11/2008, 12:42 PM
MNS treated us very disrespectfully last week - all Cork, Cork, Cork - i think if Roddy Collins was there he would have mentioned us and SOC would have to have said something!!!

Redie
17/11/2008, 12:49 PM
i think if Roddy Collins was there he would have mentioned us and SOC would have to have said something!!!

Let me guess - Sean Connor's middle name is Oscar?

Latcheko
17/11/2008, 3:15 PM
I'm delighted for ye lads. Along with Derry and Cork (and us!) I think ye're playing the best soccer in the league, and if the surface of the Showgrounds wasn't so crap ye'd be even better. I'm sure ye'll do us proud.

robertob
17/11/2008, 4:38 PM
Uefa Cup, or Europa Cup as it will be called next year.

Thanks! I forgot the new reform of the UEFA Cup. :)

red_away
17/11/2008, 4:42 PM
Thanks! I forgot the new reform of the UEFA Cup. :)

Who cares what its called....We're in it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

sligofan4ever
17/11/2008, 4:56 PM
I'm delighted for ye lads. Along with Derry and Cork (and us!) I think ye're playing the best soccer in the league, and if the surface of the Showgrounds wasn't so crap ye'd be even better. I'm sure ye'll do us proud.

TBH, its made a big improvment considering when you compare it to the surface over the last few years.

SalvadorSanchez
17/11/2008, 4:56 PM
Good luck lads, just enjoy it and give it 100%.
There's no need to be afraid after seeing how Drogs-Kiev went,
A bit of luck with the draw and ye might get a few nights away!
:D

Only1Rovers
17/11/2008, 5:07 PM

I think the surface improved alot over the course of the season.

paudie
17/11/2008, 7:03 PM
Well done to Sligo. A real football town.

It'll be rebuilding for City next season so maybe no harm to concentrate on domestic matters.

I hope the Sligo fans enjoy the Euro trip(s).

srfc1928
17/11/2008, 11:10 PM
Well done to Sligo. A real football town.

It'll be rebuilding for City next season so maybe no harm to concentrate on domestic matters.

I hope the Sligo fans enjoy the Euro trip(s).
Cheers Paudie
still on a pure high.
Sligo Rovers and this qualification means a lot to the people of Sligo