PDA

View Full Version : Rovers in Europe

neutrino
14/11/2008, 8:40 PM
A superb achievement by the Bit O'Red. They did exactly what was needed tonight. A proud day and reward for all the hard work by the club and all who kept faith with rovers after some big setbacks during the year. Bring on the summer !! Everyone associated with Sligo Rovers can be very proud tonight.

Up there as one of the great acheivements. still cant believe it:D

Red&White Rover
14/11/2008, 8:58 PM
Yesyesyeyesyesyeeyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyes

yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeessssssssss sssss!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Fivesilver
14/11/2008, 9:14 PM
This one's for Johnny C :):):)

forza rovers
14/11/2008, 9:23 PM
yes!!!!great day for the club!!
lets all do the European dance!:D:D

SligoBrewer
14/11/2008, 10:16 PM
Best Day Ever.

Sheridan
14/11/2008, 10:25 PM
Fair ****s, Rovers. I remember Cook saying the results would "only go one way" after the turmoil mid-season. He was right. :D

showgies
14/11/2008, 10:27 PM
Oh what a night! Great crowd, brilliant atmosphere and the perfect set of results.

Now, where's me passport??????????????????

adamcarr
14/11/2008, 10:29 PM
Well done lads, ye'll probably do better than Mathews would with us anyway.

Square Heir
15/11/2008, 12:05 AM
Delighted to see ye got the last european spot, no more than deserved. Best of luck.

Shedzer
15/11/2008, 12:06 AM
I hate to sound stupid, but what now?

Is it a qualifying system? Is it the same as Cork last year and get a team like Haka FC?
Everyone is celebrating, but who knows what EXACTLY it means?? lol

Setanta Cup is a defo also yes? 9 teams next year, Cork also get in as winners from last year. Linfield away anyone?:)

Someone please help with all the questions!!!

Darco Ooragnak
15/11/2008, 12:09 AM
http://img291.imageshack.us/img291/4461/roversabl1.jpg

showgies
15/11/2008, 12:18 AM
http://img291.imageshack.us/img291/4461/roversabl1.jpg

:D:D:

prodsc
15/11/2008, 12:23 AM
Us and St Pats enter at pre quals 1 with 50 teams from Azerbajan to Timbuck21

next round Derry enter and there are 2 further rounds before Group Stages.

Word was some of qualifying was regionalised, cant prove it.. lets hope so or it may bankrupt the club if not, ie, Azerbajan..

Competition is called EUROPA LEAGUE
:)

MMVIII
15/11/2008, 12:26 AM
One of the proudest moments of me life! Cannot wait for next season, azerbijan here we come :D

Shedzer
15/11/2008, 1:21 AM
Just did some research and found out where we could be going and who we could be playing

Its the Europa League as pointed out
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UEFA_Europa_League_2009%E2%80%9310

We are in the 1st round along with 49 other teams!

BASICALLY,
3RD place teams from the following countries are in the 1st round of the Europa League
-Israel, Sweden (Helsingborg are their 3rd place team), Slovakia, Poland, Hungary, Croatia, Cyprus, Slovenia, Finland (FC Lahti), Latvia (Skonto Rīga), Bosnia & Herz, Lithuania, Moldova

Then 2ND & 3RD place teams from :
Ireland (Us and St. Pats), Macedonia, Iceland, Belarus (Dynamo Minsk & MTZ-RIPO), Estonia (Flora & TVMK), Azerbaijan, Albania, Armenia, Kazakhstan (Irtysh & someone else), Northern Ireland, Wales, Faroe Islands, Luxembourg, Malta, Montenegro

Thats 45 teams and then for good measure throw in:
-The winners of the cup in Andorra
-The winners of the cup in San Marino
-3 UEFA Fairplay Teams

----------------------------------------------
So, it could be anyone, anywhere really
Last year Man City got 1 of the 3 Fairplay spots

For progression purposes i hope we get say the 3rd place team in Kazakhstan currently marked as 'someone else'

Not sure if we can get a Northern irish or Welsh club but presume we can

Would like to avoid Helsingborg anyways

All in all, either hope Spurs or some other non qualifying English team get the Fairplay award and draw them OR out of the other destinations Malta seems nice in June:)

Inside Man
15/11/2008, 1:49 AM
we'll take any of them with Rafa in our team! And cooke at the helm!

brianw82
15/11/2008, 6:23 AM
LOL at Darco's picture. That's the best thing I've ever seen!

SligoBrewer
15/11/2008, 8:11 AM
Just did some research and found out where we could be going and who we could be playing

Its the Europa League as pointed out
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UEFA_Europa_League_2009%E2%80%9310

We are in the 1st round along with 49 other teams!

BASICALLY,
3RD place teams from the following countries are in the 1st round of the Europa League
-Israel, Sweden (Helsingborg are their 3rd place team), Slovakia, Poland, Hungary, Croatia, Cyprus, Slovenia, Finland (FC Lahti), Latvia (Skonto Rga), Bosnia & Herz, Lithuania, Moldova

Then 2ND & 3RD place teams from :
Ireland (Us and St. Pats), Macedonia, Iceland, Belarus (Dynamo Minsk & MTZ-RIPO), Estonia (Flora & TVMK), Azerbaijan, Albania, Armenia, Kazakhstan (Irtysh & someone else), Northern Ireland, Wales, Faroe Islands, Luxembourg, Malta, Montenegro

Thats 45 teams and then for good measure throw in:
-The winners of the cup in Andorra
-The winners of the cup in San Marino
-3 UEFA Fairplay Teams

----------------------------------------------
So, it could be anyone, anywhere really
Last year Man City got 1 of the 3 Fairplay spots

For progression purposes i hope we get say the 3rd place team in Kazakhstan currently marked as 'someone else'

Not sure if we can get a Northern irish or Welsh club but presume we can

Would like to avoid Helsingborg anyways

All in all, either hope Spurs or some other non qualifying English team get the Fairplay award and draw them OR out of the other destinations Malta seems nice in June:)
wait..june?? You are taking the **** please. Please be winding me up.

Dodge
15/11/2008, 8:20 AM
Ots regionalised lads so you'll play someone from Scandanavia, the Baltics (Latvia etc), Wales, the North,

This site is great for figuring out who you'll play

http://www.xs4all.nl/~kassiesa/bert/uefa/

Great achievement

Dodge
15/11/2008, 8:23 AM
wait..june?? You are taking the **** please. Please be winding me up.

http://www.xs4all.nl/~kassiesa/bert/uefa/calendar2009.html

They reckon first leg to be played July 2

geezer
15/11/2008, 8:33 AM
sligo, thats no mean achievement, Connaught Derbys to look forward to too

Well Red
15/11/2008, 8:57 AM
Does anyone know what the 4th place finish in the League is worth to us.:)

Red&White Rover
15/11/2008, 8:59 AM
50k Prize money straight up:D

Well Red
15/11/2008, 9:18 AM
Thanks Red & White Rover for the reply, so with the sale of the Westlife gear €75K, not a bad week, wonder what the official figure for attendance last night was.

Nathan
15/11/2008, 9:40 AM
Prob 975

sligofan4ever
15/11/2008, 9:44 AM
Thanks Red & White Rover for the reply, so with the sale of the Westlife gear €75K, not a bad week, wonder what the official figure for attendance last night was.

The big stand was full, jinks avenue stand looked very packed, and there was lots of people standing behind the goals. i'd say there was well over 3k last night anyways.

Still buzzng after that :), those anyone know what happens with the setanta cup ? are we in it even though Cork are already through anyways ?

Quote from Nathan: "Prob 975".

The official attendance of the jinks avenue stand ? :D

kkontour
15/11/2008, 10:09 AM

Still buzzng after that :), those anyone know what happens with the setanta cup ? are we in it even though Cork are already through anyways ?

accouring to wikipedia
In the 2009 season, the Setanta Cup will be expanded to nine teams, which will comprise of three groups of three.[1] The additional place shall be awarded to the winners of the previous competition, if they do not qualify via the normal systems. If however the winners of the previous season's competition does qualify via normal channels, then a play-off between one Irish League and one League of Ireland side will decide who will be awarded the additional place

With Derry winning the league cup and either Derry or Bohs to win the FAI cup, as they already qualify via the league placing, the setanta place goest to the next place in the league, us

gustavo
15/11/2008, 11:41 AM
Yesyesyeyesyesyeeyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyes

yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeessssssssss sssss!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

What he said :D

sligoman
15/11/2008, 11:47 AM
What a season. So many up's and down's and now we end up in Europe. To Cook, Carr and every one of the players...legends, well done!

What a night in Toffs:)

Red&White Rover
15/11/2008, 1:17 PM
I'm still grinning like a mad man.

Everything was just perfect.

I don't think there'll ever be a feeling like that when in the space of 60 seconds we hear that Bohs are one up, and the Mauro pops up at the near post.

Getting hairs standing up on the back of me neck thinking about it again!

Magical!

Rovers1
15/11/2008, 1:35 PM
wow...

didnt know what to do at full time!

what a night....

SligoBrewer
15/11/2008, 1:43 PM
http://www.xs4all.nl/~kassiesa/bert/uefa/calendar2009.html

hopefully so..or else the state examinations commission will be getting a letter to propose a posponment to this year's leaving cert

Rovers1
15/11/2008, 1:44 PM
hopefully so..or else the state examinations commission will be getting a letter to propose a posponment to this year's leaving cert

theres more important things in life than the leaving cert Brewer ;)

Terry-Lander
15/11/2008, 2:07 PM
Well done to all at Sligo. We might be rivals AGAIN next year but you have my support in Europe.

Nah Nah Nah Nah
15/11/2008, 9:21 PM
Last night was great. Amazing. Superb.

BUT IT WAS NOTHING LIKE WINNING THE CUP

LondonRover
17/11/2008, 10:19 AM
Ah balls, that'd be far too early for me. Post july 17th please!!!

red arrow
17/11/2008, 8:44 PM
the prize money for 4th place in the league is k30 not k50 as suggested on this bulletin board.what we all need to do now is get as many funbraising events going between now and the start of the season and get a war chest togeather to help paul cook and the team

Rovers1
17/11/2008, 8:49 PM
the prize money for 4th place in the league is k30 not k50 as suggested on this bulletin board.

Are you sure red arrow? Was 30k not the old prize money? Pre FAI?

Red&White Rover
17/11/2008, 8:57 PM
I'm fairly certain it's 50k.

D Brannigan
17/11/2008, 10:40 PM
I'm fairly certain it's 50k.

Red Arrow is 100% correct prize money for 4th €30,000.

DaveyCakes
23/11/2008, 11:35 PM
Ots regionalised lads so you'll play someone from Scandanavia, the Baltics (Latvia etc), Wales, the North,

This site is great for figuring out who you'll play

http://www.xs4all.nl/~kassiesa/bert/uefa/

Great achievement

Or is it regionalised?

"If we should qualify through the Fair Play competition, we will enter the UEFA Europa League's 1st qualifying round. The teams will not be divided into regional groups, so we can draw teams from all over Europe, Skutle explains. "

http://www.rbk.no/english/article122503.ece

I'm just looking forward to the final in Hamburg :-)