PDA

View Full Version : Match Programmes

harps1954
13/11/2008, 1:31 PM
Just wondering if there was a Match Programme produced for last Friday's game between Galway and Harps - trying to get my hands on a copy. Thanks.

GuisaSaigon
13/11/2008, 1:42 PM
There was only a 4 page mini programme, they didnt last long though.

WoodquayBoy
13/11/2008, 1:47 PM
Not so much a mini programme as a glorified team sheet in a thrown back to the bad old days

harps1954
13/11/2008, 1:50 PM
Why no programme? What about the sponsors who would have had ads in them for the season? Not complaining, just wondering.

GuisaSaigon
13/11/2008, 1:54 PM
Problem with the printers.

Mr A
13/11/2008, 1:57 PM
Doesn't that usually translate as 'the printers weren't paid'?

WoodquayBoy
13/11/2008, 2:51 PM
That's what I heard Mr A, don't know how true it is, but given the importance of the game, I was surprised and disgusted at the lack of a programme and the potential revenue it would generate for the club

Paddyfield
13/11/2008, 3:54 PM
That's what I heard Mr A, don't know how true it is, but given the importance of the game, I was surprised and disgusted at the lack of a programme and the potential revenue it would generate for the club

The programme for the Derry game was the best this season and then they followed it up with a piece of toilet paer. I didn't even get one!

pineapple stu
13/11/2008, 4:17 PM
But I thought the directors were covering all the debts? Galway couldn't possibly be E400k in debt, could they?

WoodquayBoy
13/11/2008, 4:45 PM
Yes and yes. They will cover the debts, the club could be in debt, doesn't mean the debts won't be covered.
Any idea what part of ground our lot will be accommodated in tomorrow? The stand or behind one of the goals - think I was told there is nmo terracing one side of pitch?

corbyeire
13/11/2008, 4:53 PM
pretty much the GUFC supporters will be in the main stand on the left away from the main turnstiles

theres no real terracing on the other sides of the ground

Bald Student
13/11/2008, 5:01 PM
The left hand side (as you face the pitch) is for away fans. There's 800 seats on your side and standing room for another 800 on the two steps of terracing behind the goal.

Tir Oilean
13/11/2008, 5:03 PM
Will there be segregation?!

Bald Student
13/11/2008, 5:04 PM
Will there be segregation?!

Not really. There'll be 2 signs, one will say 'away fans' and will point to the appropriate section of the ground.

WoodquayBoy
13/11/2008, 5:46 PM
Why not? Thought under league rules there had to be segregation? Are we in danger of being viciously verbally assaulted, like some of your lot complained about when ye were in Terryland back in August? If we are in danger, and we're not seperated, it might be too upsetting for me to attend

eamo1
13/11/2008, 6:33 PM
So we will be in a stand afterall.I had this image of us standing behind a railing on the sideline in the lashing rain.It was the impression i got from seeing it on mns,nice one though.This time tomorrow we will be there:D

pineapple stu
13/11/2008, 8:18 PM
Yes and yes. They will cover the debts, the club could be in debt, doesn't mean the debts won't be covered.
Sounds like Arkaga so.

For those who really want their terracing, there's two steps behind either goal and a bit of space at either end of the main stang. I think it's designed to hold 1500 for licencing. But I'd go the far end of the stand.

Terry
13/11/2008, 9:47 PM
the debts will be covered Stu, my cousin is one of the lunatics that will be paying it !!!!! Costing him a fortune but he doesnt mind.

geezer
13/11/2008, 10:51 PM
they didnt pay for the programme for one of the most memorable nights in terryland ever. Im goin on a bit but a programme is so important i think to hardcore fans.
To LOI anoraks its as important as the ball, the pitch, the players.

Claret Murph
14/11/2008, 8:43 AM
Gezzer , look we know you didn't get one but no matter how much you bitch about it it's time to move on . :confused:

gspain
14/11/2008, 12:45 PM

Pot kettle and black here.

I still have a programme from a certain club playing Kilmarnock in the mid 90's that was never released as the printer held on to it until he got paid. Club left him the programmes. No programme available at the game (I know you played them another time and did issue).

Dodge
14/11/2008, 1:01 PM

In fairness, I don't think he was having a go. More simply stating what we were all thinking. Has happened most clubs in the league, and none of us ina position to lecture anyone (and again I don't think Mr A was doing this)

gspain
14/11/2008, 1:42 PM
In fairness, I don't think he was having a go. More simply stating what we were all thinking. Has happened most clubs in the league, and none of us ina position to lecture anyone (and again I don't think Mr A was doing this)

Apologies Mr A if I misinterpreted your intentions.

It has happened other clubs including my own. The only Limerick programme I need from the last 30 years was v Longford 99/00 when the printer refused to release them. Club never paid and despite phone calls, letters, calling in twice, offering money they wouldn't give me a copy even weeks after the game.

Out of interest has it happened to Pats?

Dodge
14/11/2008, 1:52 PM
In those terms, no. But I know we had to switch printers at least one due to an amount owed to them. We've never had a programme kept from us (AFAIK) but we've certainly had merchandise kept from us

Sam_Heggy
14/11/2008, 2:04 PM

We've had a programme every game this season but I catch what you mean.

Drogheda are in the same situation as its was just a team sheet printed out for our game against them the previous week.

gspain
14/11/2008, 2:17 PM
We've had a programme every game this season but I catch what you mean.

Drogheda are in the same situation as its was just a team sheet printed out for our game against them the previous week.

Think your programme has been one of the best in the league for many seasons.

Sometimes clubs do teamsheets becasue they don't have time or can't be bothered doing a programme. However it may well be financial issues. AFAIK all the first division clubs are still doing regular programmes.

gspain
14/11/2008, 2:26 PM
In those terms, no. But I know we had to switch printers at least one due to an amount owed to them. We've never had a programme kept from us (AFAIK) but we've certainly had merchandise kept from us

I don't know of any other cases where the printer actually printed the programmes and then refused to release them. I know if a few cases where they refused to print without payment. Cork United were in severe financial difficulty (ultimately went bust) and had a fundraising game v Manchester City. The printer refused to print the programme without payment up front. United had loads of adverts sold not to mention potential huge matchday sales. They couldn't find the money to pay the printer. They tried to do deals with sharing the profits etc but in the end no programme got printed for the game. I doubt if the proceeds of a few thousand programmes would have saved them but it would have helped.

Sam_Heggy
17/11/2008, 2:26 PM
Think your programme has been one of the best in the league for many seasons.
Sometimes clubs do teamsheets becasue they don't have time or can't be bothered doing a programme. However it may well be financial issues. AFAIK all the first division clubs are still doing regular programmes.

Totally agree, its a credit to Joe Doherty and the other contributers.

Mr A
17/11/2008, 4:37 PM
Just to clarify on what went above, I wasn't having a go, just jokingly wondering and was surprised at the answer to be honest.

Still the Jay O Shea money should sort that one out!

Tir Oilean
17/11/2008, 5:12 PM
The Jay O Shea proceeds will only paper over the cracks Mr A. Sad thing is I believe the programme issue could have been easily solved.

Terry
17/11/2008, 5:58 PM
Jeff Kenna has stated in one interview that "Derby are willing to meet with what GUFC need" when it comes to Jay o'shea !

Fact is nobody knows whats the exact financial situation at the club but that one word to me says a lot !