PDA

View Full Version : Drogheda United to strike?

Pages : [1] 2

Youths4Ever
13/11/2008, 12:08 PM
Story on rte.ie yet more bad news is goes ahead

http://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/2008/1113/droghedaunited.html

Longfordian
13/11/2008, 12:11 PM
That'll help them get their money alright. On a related note, the Examiner has been very quiet about any prospects of anyone being interested in taking over compared to how he handled Cork's situation.

pete
13/11/2008, 12:13 PM
I think Drogs are in real trouble. They will be lucky to exist next season let alone get Premier licence.

City fans have massive respect for the way our manager, players & staff behaved through our troubles.

pineapple stu
13/11/2008, 12:17 PM
I think Drogs are in real trouble. They will be lucky to exist next season let alone get Premier licence.
I agree, especially while their fans continue to think this is all the NRA's fault. I know it takes a lot of effort and time for a group of fans to save a team, but Drogheda's are failing miserably.

Paddy Power aren't offering odds on Pat's to win tomorrow any more. I got them at 7/5 yesterday. Probably get another Pat's player blamed into the bargain. :)

JC_GUFC
13/11/2008, 12:31 PM
Paddy Power aren't offering odds on Pat's to win tomorrow any more. I got them at 7/5 yesterday. Probably get another Pat's player blamed into the bargain. :)

Yeah let the moaning start from all the shrewdies on here that PP won't take a bet! Pat's -1 @ 9/2 looks a good bet too!!! :)

I have to say I'd be amazed if Drogheda are part of a 10-team Premier Division next season.

jinxy lilywhite
13/11/2008, 12:33 PM
The whole drogheda situation I just don't get.
Why did they suddenly decide to cut their losses?

Why was there no contingency plan for if the stadium didin't go ahead?

Why can't Hoey et al pay the revenue and pay off the players who contracts are up at the end of the season, sell those who are on longer term contracts and start next season semi pro?

For a man who has Drogheda United in his heart he is showing some strange treatment to the club as an entity?

DUFC4life
13/11/2008, 12:38 PM
I agree, especially while their fans continue to think this is all the NRA's fault. I know it takes a lot of effort and time for a group of fans to save a team, but Drogheda's are failing miserably.
first of all nobody up here is blaming the nra. they were within their rights to object and they did.
second of all why do you feel drogheda fans haved failed miserably??there was no supporters group set up until our financial situation was revealed. what you expect them to do. . go and raise 5k a week before it is even set up to give to players who will be gone in 3 days anyway. the group that has been setup has as far as i know decided to raise money for long term of club. . .investing in youth etc. . but thats when funds are raised which takes time.

Dodge
13/11/2008, 12:42 PM

Should've backed them with hills at 6/4, which is still available

Dodge
13/11/2008, 12:43 PM
first of all nobody up here is blaming the nra. they were within their rights to object and they did.
second of all why do you feel drogheda fans haved failed miserably??there was no supporters group set up until our financial situation was revealed. what you expect them to do. . go and raise 5k a week before it is even set up to give to players who will be gone in 3 days anyway. the group that has been setup has as far as i know decided to raise money for long term of club. . .investing in youth etc. . but thats when funds are raised which takes time.

Invest in nothing until you have control of the club. If you don't have a club next year what use is the money. Present your proposals to the examiner

pineapple stu
13/11/2008, 12:45 PM
By this stage (as I recall; correct me if I'm wrong), Cork had a five-figure sum in their bank account, were in constant touch with the examiner and had solid plans for taking over the club. You don't even have a bank account and spent your first meeting looking starry-eyed at Hoey, before going off and firing e-mails to the Meath County Council to try get the ground moving again. Cork fans appear to have helped youz as much as possible with getting stuff set up, yet you're still way behind. Everyone else is baffled at it, but youz seem happy to sit back and hope Hoey has a trump card somewhere.

Mr A
13/11/2008, 12:59 PM
They'll play in the end, not really in their interests not to as the gate is the main source of money to give to them.

White Horse
13/11/2008, 1:04 PM
By this stage (as I recall; correct me if I'm wrong), Cork had a five-figure sum in their bank account, were in constant touch with the examiner and had solid plans for taking over the club. You don't even have a bank account and spent your first meeting looking starry-eyed at Hoey, before going off and firing e-mails to the Meath County Council to try get the ground moving again. Cork fans appear to have helped youz as much as possible with getting stuff set up, yet you're still way behind. Everyone else is baffled at it, but youz seem happy to sit back and hope Hoey has a trump card somewhere.

To be fair to the fans, Hoey kept playing the part of the rich benefactor and allaying their suspicions. Yet, there is no evidence that he invested a penny of his own money in the club.

The fans in Drogheda are beginning to realise the truth but it may be too late for their club.

thischarmingman
13/11/2008, 1:12 PM
Following a meeting between the players and Drogheda United Chairman Vincent Hoey this morning, the club can confirm that tomorrow night's game with St. Patrick's Athletic will go ahead as planned.
http://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/2008/1113/droghedaunited.html

Longfordian
13/11/2008, 1:49 PM
Should've backed them with hills at 6/4, which is still available

Good spot Dodge. €10 gone on Pats @ 6/4!. Also backed Cork @ 6/4 v. Bohs with Hills.

pete
13/11/2008, 1:53 PM
By this stage (as I recall; correct me if I'm wrong), Cork had a five-figure sum in their bank account, were in constant touch with the examiner and had solid plans for taking over the club.

The Cork City Supporters Trust Foras has been in the background for the last 12-18 months but Examinership gave it a short term mandate & accelerated the start up. Taking over the club was a possibility but also probably the last resort.

Who do Drogs owe money to? Who actually owns United Park? Is it in the name of the clubs registered company or an individual? Can the Examiner sell it to recover the losses?

Schumi
13/11/2008, 2:00 PM
Drogs owe something like 500k to revenue I think. As far as I know, the FAI own United Park but if Drogheda were going to move to a new ground, they'd be willing to give most of the proceeds from selling United to Drogheda. I don't think the ground could be sold to pay Drogheda's debts.

DUFC4life
13/11/2008, 3:12 PM
foras(the cork trust) took 18 months to set up. they were established by the time examinership came. thats how they had a 5 sum figure. dont have a bank account?? you seem to know a lot. . .do you work in a bank in drogheda?? because from what i have heard there is one. . emailing meath county council was done as a side thing nothing to do with supporters club as far as i know. these things cant be done in a week or two. . .any money given to the examinership process would just disapear into a black hoe of debt and be of no use to anyone really. . .a drop in the ocean that is the debt of drogheda united.

Dodge
13/11/2008, 3:18 PM
foras(the cork trust) took 18 months to set up. they were established by the time examinership came. thats how they had a 5 sum figure

Don't think they officially launched until the examinership

Longfordian
13/11/2008, 3:22 PM
foras(the cork trust) took 18 months to set up. they were established by the time examinership came. thats how they had a 5 sum figure. dont have a bank account?? you seem to know a lot. . .do you work in a bank in drogheda?? because from what i have heard there is one. . emailing meath county council was done as a side thing nothing to do with supporters club as far as i know. these things cant be done in a week or two. . .any money given to the examinership process would just disapear into a black hoe of debt and be of no use to anyone really. . .a drop in the ocean that is the debt of drogheda united.

So because the money would be used to pay debt you're not going to give it to the Examiner?. Good luck with your new club so because it appears nobody else wants to give them the money needed for survival either.

OneRedArmy
13/11/2008, 3:30 PM
I defy anyone here to launch a properly constituted Supporters Trust within a couple of weeks without a team of lawyers and a lot of cash.

I've no idea whether Drogs fans are interested enough or not to keep the club going, time will tell I suppose, but to accuse them for not having set up a legal vehicle to make a formal approach to the Examiner is short-sighted.

DUFC4life
So because the money would be used to pay debt you're not going to give it to the Examiner?. Good luck with your new club so because it appears nobody else wants to give them the money needed for survival either.
im not saying thats whats happening i dont know what the supporters group is doing. .im not involved too much. its just my opinion that whatever amount is raised its not going to make a difference when debts are near a million. . . an investor is needed to cover those debts. supporters better off holding money for after examinership. . if we get through it to invest long term in club ie youth etc or if we dont get through it to buy the crest and keep club alive.

Allstar
Lets just say that the drogs dont play premier next year, does that mean then that a relegated team stays up???

Dodge
13/11/2008, 3:32 PM
Lets just say that the drogs dont play premier next year, does that mean then that a relegated team stays up???

Yep...

Sam_Heggy
13/11/2008, 3:38 PM

More than likely the team that finishes 10th will be staying up. In true FAI fashion though, they will not be announcing it 'til one week before the 2009 season kicks off.

jinxy lilywhite
13/11/2008, 3:52 PM

More than likely the team that finishes 10th will be staying up. In true FAI fashion though, they will not be announcing it 'til one week before the 2009 season kicks off.

UCD would stay up in my reckoning.
With the financial problems in cobh and harps (asking players to take pay cut ) it would be easy to overlook them and put a safe bet like UCD in.

Dodge
13/11/2008, 3:58 PM
UCD would stay up in my reckoning.
With the financial problems in cobh and harps (asking players to take pay cut ) it would be easy to overlook them and put a safe bet like UCD in.

It'll be done on league placings, and those clubs who earn a premier division license. UCD won't be "selected" to take Drogheda's place. if they're in the premier next year it'll be because at least 3 others didn't receive a license

jinxy lilywhite
13/11/2008, 4:00 PM
It'll be done on league placings, and those clubs who earn a premier division license. UCD won't be "selected" to take Drogheda's place. if they're in the premier next year it'll be because at least 3 others didn't receive a license

Apologies should of put that in.
Would Harps and Cobh have problems getting premier division licenses for next season since they got players to take pay cuts

pete
13/11/2008, 4:07 PM
Apologies should of put that in.
Would Harps and Cobh have problems getting premier division licenses for next season since they got players to take pay cuts

Depends if they owe the players money. In Cork Citys case we will not receive a Premier licence if players owed money on 31 November. If players agreed to payment schedule or forfeit the cash that is probably enough to get licence too.

pineapple stu
13/11/2008, 4:07 PM
I defy anyone here to launch a properly constituted Supporters Trust within a couple of weeks without a team of lawyers and a lot of cash.

I've no idea whether Drogs fans are interested enough or not to keep the club going, time will tell I suppose, but to accuse them for not having set up a legal vehicle to make a formal approach to the Examiner is short-sighted.
Fair point, although even approaching the examiner and asking the lie of the land would be a start, which wasn't done until a couple of days ago.

Against that, this was coming for ages (I suggested it on their forum a year ago, for example). Also, they've had what - 20 days? - since examinership. I would have thought they'd be 20 days down the road to forming a trust at this stage instead of calling meetings to launch it, forgetting to launch it, sending e-mails to the MCC and hoping the solution falls out of Hoey.

pineapple stu
13/11/2008, 4:28 PM
The lambasting their fans are getting on some of the forums seem's to be done by people who don't know the full details or are unaware how long it takes to set up a trust.
Or who are confused why they were firing off e-mails to the MCC and the NRA or discussing new stadium locations instead of setting up a trust.

holidaysong
13/11/2008, 4:58 PM
31 November..

You're making it up as you go along.. :p

Sniffer
13/11/2008, 5:04 PM
Isn't United Park unfit for Premier Division football, but the Drogs had been afforded a derogation on foot of the plans for a new stadium. Surely, if so, this alone precludes them from the Premier division next season; unless they agree to share a bed with Dundalk. :eek:

DUFC4life
13/11/2008, 5:37 PM
Or who are confused why they were firing off e-mails to the MCC and the NRA or discussing new stadium locations instead of setting up a trust.
right . . .its obvious you dont know anything about what drogheda fans are doing. some fans have emailed meath county council yes. what has that got to do with anything? its obvious something sinister has gone on and people are just interested as to what. . . . a trust takes at least 2 years to set up and incurs a lot of legal fees etc. doesnt happen overnight there are plenty of drogheda fans doing their upmost to do all they can. a trust will be in place in the future but at the minute time is of the essence and a supporters group willing to raise funds is a lot better than trying to set up a trust which cant do anything until it is set up which as people have pointed out takes a f**cking long time. and for a second time nobody has been emailing the nra. why should we?? they were within their legal right to object. so please shut up until you have all of your facts right because i really am not in any mood to be listening to you bad mouthing the supporters of drogheda united who are working so hard in doing whatever they can to save the club.

Rovers1
13/11/2008, 5:43 PM
this whole €200 thing....

does this include Doolin and non-playing staff??

Rovers1
13/11/2008, 5:46 PM
[QUOTE=DUFC4life;1057913] . a trust takes at least 2 years to set up and incurs a lot of legal fees etc. [QUOTE]

dont think it takes that long??:o

DUFC4life
13/11/2008, 5:51 PM
it took cork 18 months. . knowing drogheda people wed probably mess it up anyway which would add six months. . :D

Rovers1
13/11/2008, 5:54 PM
im almost sure it only took BORST literally weeks, maybe its a different kind of trust

DUFC4life
13/11/2008, 5:58 PM
im almost sure it only took BORST literally weeks, maybe its a different kind of trust
i dont know. cork tok 18 months and i think the lads in drogheda trying to get something going met with them and decided it would take too long for the minute.

Lim till i die
13/11/2008, 6:57 PM
I for one would like to welcome Drogheda to the Graveyard next season.

It's a decent trip and they wont be very good. :ball: :)

Martinho II
13/11/2008, 7:57 PM
see doolin and the drogs players lost the use of their phones too...

John83
13/11/2008, 8:27 PM
i dont know. cork tok 18 months and i think the lads in drogheda trying to get something going met with them and decided it would take too long for the minute.
Stick a dozen Cork fans in a room and it'll take them 18 months to agree on the colour of the walls.

geezer
13/11/2008, 9:51 PM
it takes seven names and about €600 and about 8 weeks to set up a registered trust. I have the details on email kindly supplied by the borst lads at sligo if anyone wants to pm me.

brianw82
14/11/2008, 7:43 AM
see doolin and the drogs players lost the use of their phones too...

I just can't figure out why the players would need company phones. I don't think Paul Cook will be sad to hear that Doolin had his phone taken, though. :)

Magicme
14/11/2008, 8:36 AM
I for one would like to welcome Drogheda to the Graveyard next season.

It's a decent trip and they wont be very good. :ball: :)

It kills me to say it but I would love them here with us. Love the trip to Drogheda, have free accommodation there, its the 2nd best place to go out in in Ireland and the fans are among the nicest. Now if we could only have Galway and Finn Harps down too..........oh wait.......:D

pete
14/11/2008, 10:55 AM
Stick a dozen Cork fans in a room and it'll take them 18 months to agree on the colour of the walls.

Still a dozen UCD fans in a room and... no point continuing as thats just fantasy... :eek:

pineapple stu
14/11/2008, 11:00 AM
I just can't figure out why the players would need company phones.
Extra inducement to leave Sligo, I suppose.

Magicme
14/11/2008, 11:21 AM
Not sure it was players phones, it said employees so may have been other staff.

Salmon Coloured
14/11/2008, 12:14 PM

One of the truest things you will ever hear. You can also replace the word "fans" with the word "people". Would also be a colourfully intonated argument too that would raise manys the smirk countrywide.

pete
14/11/2008, 12:53 PM
I just can't figure out why the players would need company phones.

It is a handy way of giving an employee a perk without paying tax on.

Dodge
14/11/2008, 12:56 PM
It is a handy way of giving an employee a perk without paying tax on.

I think it can be taxed but its still cost effective for companies. They usually get "job lot" rates from O2/vodafone (whatever)