PDA

View Full Version : The Dunphy Interview

NigeSausagepump
23/10/2003, 4:52 PM
I know it’s ancient history now, but I was just wondering what people thought of the Keane interview on the Dunphy show a few weeks back?

I thought it was the most sickeningly sycophantic display of arse-kissing I’ve ever seen. Regardless of where one stands on the Keane issue, it’s hard to deny that he was given perhaps the easiest interview of all time, was egged on by the Dunph in slagging off the likes of Charlton & McCarthy and there was even a shameless plug for Eamo’s book.

My favourite bits included Eamo saying “We’ve had literally thousands of texts in, Roy but I’ll just read out two of them. The first one says I love you Roy and the second one said I’m a Liverpool fan and love you even more”. The reaction of the audience was great too. To a man, the jumped to their feet and screamed and applauded for the returning hero.

Surely even the most ardent of Roy’s admirers has to admit this whole spectacle was woefully one sided. I honestly thought that by the end of it Eamo’s tongue would appear out of one of Roy’s nostrils it was so far up his arse. For me a more objective interview and balanced approach would have lifted both interviewer and interviewee in my esteem. However, as it stands, I won’t be tuning in to old Eamo again. There are plenty of other channels that offer far superior scenes of ass licking (I’m told)

thecorner
23/10/2003, 6:26 PM
nothing new in this interview

if u read the book,no point inl istening to the interview

Beavis
23/10/2003, 8:03 PM
I thought the same thing.Just about to head off to Swiss when I caught this hour long celebration of Dunphy's love for Keane.The person that Irish people are most fascinated by and Eamon didn't ask one question which we didn't already know the answer to.He ended on 'on Roy,you are world class'.There was an Apres Match skit on it once that summed it up perfectly.Roy comes onto the stage with a leesh in his hand whistling and calling 'Eamon,Eamon,come here boy'

Ozymandias
24/10/2003, 9:25 AM
I was Fortunately/unfortunately in switzerland for it ..Must look at the VT at some stage but buddies of mine said that Roy was a bit embarassed by the whole thing.

It was always going to be ott from eamo

I'd rather have been able to see Roy in Basel on the field but sure thats another lifetime debate and an old chestnut at this stage...actually talking about chestnut...the swiss loved em.....buying em on every street corner...maddddd....they make money on em and they fall from trees here to the ground and we couldn't be arsed

pete
24/10/2003, 9:39 AM
Originally posted by Conor74
Didn't see it and frankly Dunphy interviewing Keane promised to be as hard hitting as well used sponge.

Think i had access to a tv when it was on but couldn't be bothered as nothing new was expected. Keane has done loads of interviews since the summer & i doubt Dunphy would ask any difficult questions...

btw what with Eamo do when he no friends to bring onto his tv show?

:rolleyes:

tiktok
24/10/2003, 10:39 AM
i'm a fan of Keane's and even i was cringing a bit, there wasn't a single question that wasn't lobbed gently by Eamonn, it was poor effort and leaves a lot of the arguments that still go on about Keane up in the air.

the one thing i thought was interesting though was some of the quotes/actions attributed to Keane in the book he denies during the chat, i'm starting to doubt even more how much of the book was down to Keane.

niamh
24/10/2003, 3:37 PM
Hmmm. The boasts that were made when we heard that he'd got Keane on board were unreal but what did people expect? So far with all the guests I've seen he has been too nice. It's as if he's just glad they agreed.
The i/v I thought was good was Robert Fisk on the first night but that was mainly due to the journalist himself.
I don't think Pat Kenny would have been much better. They are both ****e at asking the hard questions.

Duncan Gardner
24/10/2003, 6:07 PM
Originally posted by tiktok
The one thing i thought was interesting though was some of the quotes/actions attributed to Keane in the book he denies during the chat, i'm starting to doubt even more how much of the book was down to Keane.

Footballers always do this. They have a book ghosted, in which their direct involvement is likely to be little more than an extended chat over lunch. The ghost 'spices' it with lurid episodes (Alfie Haaland and the Belfast game in 1993, apart from the World Cup fiasco) for newspaper serialisation. When the player then gets criticised, he can play innocent and deny saying particular things. Which may actually be true, but reveals just how lazy and arrogant many footballers are. Not picking particularly on Keane. Compared with- say- Jaap Stam- his book reads like Dostoyevsky :(

macdermesser
27/10/2003, 8:38 AM
I'd rather have been able to see Roy in Basel on the field but sure thats another lifetime debate and an old chestnut at this stage...actually talking about chestnut...the swiss loved em.....buying em on every street corner...maddddd....they make money on em and they fall from trees here to the ground and we couldn't be arsed

Ozymandias or anyone else that starts thinking of selling hot chestnuts on O'Connell street .. the hot chestnuts in Switzerland are special types of ones .. and not the ones you get in Ireland .. called maroni. Just to let you know, in case your fledgling business is hit in the first week by a multi-million lawsuit :eek:

Ozymandias
28/10/2003, 9:26 AM
lol...have to give a free roll of bog roll with every bag.....lol