PDA

View Full Version : Most Own Goals

GenerationXI
12/11/2008, 2:20 PM
I didn't know quite where to put this, but a friend just asked who I think has scored the most own goals in their career. It can be LOI or EPL or whatever. It's not something players like to boast about so the stats aren't easy to come by.

All I've found so far are stats for this season:

Richard Dunne: 3
Pogatetz, Paul MuckShame, Jagielka: 2

In terms of an entire career I reckon Carragher/Bramble must be high up there.

centre mid
12/11/2008, 2:30 PM
John Barnes has the most own goals bizarley

eelmonster
12/11/2008, 2:38 PM
Jody Byrne: 2 + (?)

HarpoJoyce
12/11/2008, 2:38 PM
After he left UCD to join Shamrock Rovers, Terry Palmer (CB) scored two(?) og's to favour UCD.

This season Clive Delaney scored an OG while playing for Derry against his most recent club Bray Wanderers he also blantly handled the ball in a match against UCD. No penalty but he's thinking of us.

Roddy Collins regularly puts his foot in it.

red bellied
12/11/2008, 2:42 PM
Wesley Charles used to get a few with when playing with Sligo Rovers.

Sunny Jim
12/11/2008, 2:43 PM
I read somewhere last week that Carragher has scored two goals for Liverpool and three for Spurs!

L37Ultra
12/11/2008, 2:45 PM
See here (http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2008/nov/12/knowledge-football-owngoals-records)

Ash
12/11/2008, 2:46 PM
Tom Silke was always good for an OG when he was with us

Battery Rover
12/11/2008, 2:49 PM
Tom Silke was always good for an OG when he was with us

And to make it even better they were usually headers but when he went up for corners he would put the ball nearer the corner flag than the goal

GenerationXI
12/11/2008, 2:54 PM
So far we have this:

John Barnes has the most own goals bizarley

How many?

And this from L37Ultra's Link: "Everton's Billy Balmer. "At the turn of the 20th century he netted eight goals during open play; all, unfortunately, at the wrong end of the pitch," writes Gavin Buckland. "In more than 300 appearances for the Toffees his only goal at the right end was a single penalty in 1899.""

Apparently Carragher has six.

red bellied
12/11/2008, 2:54 PM
Tommy Hutchinson scored two goals in a cup final, one in either end.

L37Ultra
12/11/2008, 2:56 PM
So far we have this:

How many?

And this from L37Ultra's Link: "Everton's Billy Balmer. "At the turn of the 20th century he netted eight goals during open play; all, unfortunately, at the wrong end of the pitch," writes Gavin Buckland. "In more than 300 appearances for the Toffees his only goal at the right end was a single penalty in 1899.""

Apparently Carragher has six.

I would say them lads in Madagascar have more than eight to their name :D:o

JC_GUFC
12/11/2008, 3:05 PM
I could be totally wrong but I think that when Longford were really ****e and Flancare Park was called Strokestown Road that Conor Frawley was their top scorer one season with 3 goals but he'd also scored 4 own goals!

pineapple stu
12/11/2008, 3:20 PM
I would say them lads in Madagascar have more than eight to their name :D:o
The team who lost 149-0? Yeah, they'd have a few alright. Not sure that's quite what we're looking for though!

There's a lad called Wilson who scored three own goals in a season in Brazil a couple of years back. Frank Sinclair scored two own goals in a week while at Chelsea (I think?). Only one person has ever scored an own goal in Belfield. Damn FAI.:mad:

sadloserkid
12/11/2008, 3:45 PM
It can be LOI or EPL or whatever.

Surely you'd put it in the general football section then?

Frank Sinclair scored two own goals in a week while at Chelsea (I think?).

He hadn't moved onto Leicester then had he?

Richard Dunne has 7.

superfrank
12/11/2008, 3:55 PM
This season Clive Delaney scored an OG while playing for Derry against his most recent club Bray Wanderers.
No, he didn't.

The scores this season were:
Bray 1-0 Derry - Alan Cawley penalty
Derry 4-0 Bray - no Bray goal
Bray 2-1 Derry - Tresson and Rowe

HarpoJoyce
12/11/2008, 4:08 PM
No, he didn't.

The scores this season were:
Bray 1-0 Derry - Alan Cawley penalty
Derry 4-0 Bray - no Bray goal
Bray 2-1 Derry - Tresson and Rowe

I apologise, I'm wrong. It was the first game. I believe he was involved in conceding the penalty for Cawley to score. This example should be excluded from this thread.
Sorry about that.

monzo
12/11/2008, 4:51 PM
I read somewhere last week that Carragher has scored two goals for Liverpool and three for Spurs!

I remember about ten years ago he scored two own goals in a game against Manchester United.

mediahack
12/11/2008, 6:57 PM
Thought the most own goals scored have been by the FAI - think we've lost count but I'm sure there are many more to come! :D

GenerationXI
13/11/2008, 11:25 AM
Surely you'd put it in the general football section then?

Apologies

brendy_éire
13/11/2008, 11:36 AM
I think Delaney has scored two OGs with us. So far.

WoodquayBoy
13/11/2008, 1:50 PM
Didn't Carragher score 2 own goals in one game, against Man Utd about 8 or 9 years ago, Liverpool scored 4 but United won 3-2!

CameramanConka
13/11/2008, 2:17 PM
Jonathan Minnock has scored a few og's in games against Derry as far as I remember.

Martinho II
13/11/2008, 8:09 PM
I could be totally wrong but I think that when Longford were really ****e and Flancare Park was called Strokestown Road that Conor Frawley was their top scorer one season with 3 goals but he'd also scored 4 own goals!

the first bit sounds a bit right.. it was the worst season in living memory until this season that is...:(