PDA

View Full Version : UCD are Champions !

Poor Student
11/11/2008, 11:00 PM
UCD have won the A Championship final 2-1. We can from behind to take it to extra time and finished Bohs off during that period. Bohs finished the match with eight men after two red cards and an injury. UCD will get €20,000 prize money for claiming the title.

RonnieB
12/11/2008, 12:44 AM
Three Huzzahs.. Huzzah Huzzah Huzzah. Can I have the 20k?

pineapple stu
12/11/2008, 1:55 AM
Eh, no. We need it. :)

Not a bad game. Bohs had a handy team - the defenders in particular had the edge over our forwards - but I always got the feeling that once we got a goal, we'd break free. It didn't quite work that way, but once we equalised with 7 to go, we dominated the whole of extra time and could have won by more in the end. But we'll take the win.

HarpoJoyce
12/11/2008, 10:53 AM
It was a good win. Bohs brought their eight-wins-in-a-row form into the game. UCD had far more chances in the 90 minutes and 120 minutes but only started getting the ball on target after Bohs' number 9 scored.

Keith Ward was giving man of the match, Evan McMillan did a lot of running when we were behind to keep the pressure on and it was a deserved equaliser. But I've seen matches involving UCD when the opposition score the second goal and that's that.

So I'm pleased first we topped our group and some very good results early on. And put it up to a very useful Bohs team and won out. We knew with an open attacking game we had the better chance and we had to force the pace constantly to eventually crack open Bohs.

Great tournament. I hope it will be bigger and better next year.

Dodge
12/11/2008, 11:07 AM
Eh, no. We need it. :)

UCD in financial trouble SHOCKA!!!!!!!

pineapple stu
12/11/2008, 12:39 PM
Yep - the October P30 was almost late. :p

superfrank
12/11/2008, 1:36 PM
Congrats to UCD.

Will a lot of those lads be playing for yez in the First next year?

pineapple stu
12/11/2008, 1:38 PM
I'd say so.

Seven or eight have already played for the first team, and I assume we'll be losing a fair few players over the winter. But if we keep a core of the current team and bring this lot through, it looks positive for next season.

eelmonster
12/11/2008, 3:43 PM
Well done UCD, hopefully we won't be seeing any of that team next season.

Sam_Heggy
13/11/2008, 12:04 PM
I'd say so.

Seven or eight have already played for the first team, and I assume we'll be losing a fair few players over the winter. But if we keep a core of the current team and bring this lot through, it looks positive for next season.

7 or 8? :eek: Stacked team, total disgrace, give the title to Bohs poor, poor Bohs :p

Well done Students, €20k is massive money and the title is not one to be sniffed at.

pineapple stu
13/11/2008, 3:48 PM
Goals from the match (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rr0g6CvbL_0) and a lot of people pointing courtesy of BohsTV.

Shame it's only the goals though, as there were red cards, excellent saves, amazing misses and some decent play throughout the game.

John83
13/11/2008, 5:07 PM
7 or 8? :eek: Stacked team, total disgrace, give the title to Bohs poor, poor Bohs :p

Well done Students, €20k is massive money and the title is not one to be sniffed at.
Those seven or eight probably have 20 senior appearances between them. I know you're kidding, but I still want to point though out before some mouth breather takes it up wrong.

pineapple stu
13/11/2008, 5:11 PM
Apart from Kinger.

Of the starting line up, approx non-League-Cup appearances are -

Billy - 1
Harding - 2
Enda Stevens - 2
Boyle - 0
Evan - 15
Kinger - 40
Ward - 2
Bolger - 20
Nangle - 0
Dave McMillan - 1
Rocco - 10

Subs -
Barron - 0
Timmy - 40
Kelly - 0
Cahillane - 2
Matthews - 0

What consititues an A team member, incidentally?

Aberdonian Stu
13/11/2008, 5:23 PM
He has to have been convicted for a crime they did not commit and then promptly escape to the Los Angeles underground. An ability to fire lots of bullets without hitting anyone and speak witty lines also helps.

pineapple stu
13/11/2008, 5:24 PM
Indeed.

You'll be pleased to note that the A Team tune got a good blaring before extra time. Was supposed to be the music the players came out to, but the music man screwed it up.

Bald Student
13/11/2008, 5:36 PM
Indeed.

You'll be pleased to note that the A Team tune got a good blaring before extra time. Was supposed to be the music the players came out to, but the music man screwed it up.

I'm sick and tired of you coming onto the internet and badmouthing music men based on rumours, imaginings and half truths.
I'd like to see you try to do the PA some day and maybe then you'd realise that reading all the players' numbers out wrong and stopping half way through a sentence because you forgot how to finish it is perfectly normal.

John83
13/11/2008, 5:43 PM
Well said Student Mullet.

WoodquayBoy
13/11/2008, 6:35 PM
Congrats on the win

Sam_Heggy
13/11/2008, 6:46 PM
Well our A Team that finished second in the Northern section was:

Liam Mailey - 0 first team appearances
Declan O'Donnell - 0
Johnny Havlin - 0
Kevin Roddy - 0
Brian Lafferty - 0
Christy Conaghan - 0
Caolan Kelly - 0
Trevor Gethins - 0
Alan Gethins - 0
Fintan Bonner - played 2 or 3 games in the forgetable Gorman era.
Anthony Doherty - 0
Declan McGarvey - 0
Oisin McMenemin - 0
Mark Moran - 0
Darren McGowan - 0
Mark Forker - 0
Patrick Bonner - 0
Gary Whoriskey - 0

So overall I'd say the A league side is used as an u-21 side for ourselves.

The A-League imo is a good idea if used properly. We have 3 or 4 of the above squad better than players in our current first team squad. They really should have got a chance to prove themselves. If they get a chance and take it then obviously the A League side is a sucess, otherwise its taking away money and time from the club.

Youths4Ever
13/11/2008, 9:47 PM
well done to UCD

pineapple stu
13/11/2008, 9:50 PM
So overall I'd say the A league side is used as an u-21 side for ourselves.
It's an U-21 side for us as well. The stats I posted just show how many young players we blood in the first team.

pineapple stu
13/11/2008, 10:02 PM
20000, as mentioned several times in the thread.

John83
13/11/2008, 10:46 PM
20000, as mentioned several times in the thread.
Could he have been adding money from earlier stages? Doubtful, but... :confused:

Schumi
13/11/2008, 11:29 PM
There's no money for anyone but the winners afaik.

We've used 33 players in the first team so far this season, it'd be difficult to find a team of players who haven't featured! :)

gael353
13/11/2008, 11:54 PM
well done UCD going tru the whole comp only losing once (to us as it would happen)

Overall though i think just like the under 21 comp of the last few years teams get weaker as the season rolls on. While you might have a strong team starting, if your not getting first team football or junior clubs with money comming in poaching players leads to teams fielding kids near seasons end. I've watched teams walk through the league stages but all the time losing players, and by knock out time your looking at the subs and frindge kids or a full under 20s side as UCD met a few weeks ago. College have something else to hold the players for the duration of the comps, college!

pineapple stu
14/11/2008, 12:02 PM
College have something else to hold the players for the duration of the comps, college!
Not if they graduate half way through the season.