PDA

View Full Version : derry & Cliftonville

Pages : 1 2 [3] 4 5

BannsideBoy
24/02/2004, 4:34 PM
save their fans spending the cash going to glasgow for the weekend in suppose, would make their benifits stretch a bit further for that week;)

lopez
24/02/2004, 6:00 PM
Originally posted by BannsideBoy
save their fans spending the cash going to glasgow for the weekend in suppose, would make their benifits stretch a bit further for that week;)
Ouuucccchhh!!! :D :D

sylvo
24/02/2004, 8:25 PM
Nice one, a thread that don't involve Roy Keane, i'm aving it.:D

sylvo
24/02/2004, 8:27 PM
What we talking about anyway:(

BannsideBoy
24/02/2004, 10:31 PM
Originally posted by davros
For feck's sake,get a spellchecker sorted....know they're a bit simple in that part of the world,but get it sorted?!

If you insist on being so anally retentive you should at least make sure your grammar is correct.

I have corrected it for you

For feck's sake (swearing is a sign of a poor upbringing and lack of vocabulary), (space required after comma here!) get a spellchecker sorted.... (I) know they're a bit simple in that part of the world, (space required after comma here!) but get it sorted?!

lopez
24/02/2004, 10:45 PM
If you insist on being so anally retentive you should at least make sure your grammar is correct.
Ouch again! :D :D

TommyT
25/02/2004, 12:47 AM
**** Newry.

Just thought i'd get that in :D

ghosty
25/02/2004, 7:31 PM
Originally posted by TommyT
**** Newry.

Just thought i'd get that in :D

And **** Omagh as well, **** hole of a ground, Now i know Solitude isn't great, but Omagh is a hole.

Oh and DG, the post about the NI managers religion, well the way i read it i assummed it was about Sammy Mac, hence my reply. I know Gerry Armstrong is the NEW assistant, as he's a cousin of my father. Ah wel can't have everything can you.:rolleyes:

Just reading a few of the original posts on this thread, and 1 caught my eye from gspain.

West Belfast does have a side in the top flight - Linfield. Maybe their MP should go to a few games and meet his constituents.

Actually Linfield are from South Belfast and i believe always have been. Linfield is actually an area around Sandy Row, and i believe they were founded by workers from the Linfield Mill.

liam88
25/02/2004, 9:22 PM
Originally posted by sylvo
What we talking about anyway:(
Hard to say really ;)
We started off asking people whether Belfast Celtic should reform and at the moment are in a sem-secaterian flame-war. The threads been running a long while and has past through topics including Irish (and British ;) ) history and.....curry :rolleyes:

sylvo
25/02/2004, 11:44 PM
Liam it's just booted off on the general football discussions between the lot of them again, title uk team, try and calm them down, they might listen to you:eek:

TommyT
26/02/2004, 6:46 PM
Apparently Donegal Celtic took only 20-30 away fans to a top of the table clash away to Bangor in January. People seem to be over estimating their support.

BannsideBoy
26/02/2004, 8:02 PM
There would be a massive surge in 'celtic' fans for big games such as linfield however, we just have to look at these glory hunters who follow cliftonville to big matches wearing glasgow celtic shirts , flying glasgow celtic flags and singing glasgow celtic songs, nothing what so ever with supporting cliftonville.

BannsideBoy
27/02/2004, 2:42 AM
I see no need for either Rangers or Celtic tops at Irish league venues, those who do, do so, in my opinion only to provoke a reaction from opposing fans and to conduct their bigotry in a public manor. It serves no means to further their particular ‘cause’ whatever it may be, far from it, it has the opposite effect, it tarnishes the reputation of those particular clubs affected, and alienates the true supporters of those clubs who detest these leaches.

ghosty
28/02/2004, 10:17 AM
There would be a massive surge in 'celtic' fans for big games such as linfield however, we just have to look at these glory hunters who follow cliftonville to big matches wearing glasgow celtic shirts , flying glasgow celtic flags and singing glasgow celtic songs, nothing what so ever with supporting cliftonville.

I could point out the Glory Hunters at the IC Final last season, you had over 4000 there. Where are they now? Plenty of Rainjurs tops on show as well, so basically sort your own house out 1st before you get at others.

Tell me this what Celtic songs do cliftonville sing? The odd rendition of you'll never walk alone, but that's it.

ghosty
28/02/2004, 10:21 AM
Apparently Donegal Celtic took only 20-30 away fans to a top of the table clash away to Bangor in January. People seem to be over estimating their support.

More like 10 away fans Tommy, DC don't have a great home support, nevermind any away support. Also DC like to go out their way to get offended. A DC board member took exception to a bangor supporter Bangor Loyal flag and deemed it sectarian, the flag in question was a NI flag with the words Bangor Loyal on it, hardly offensive unless of course you go well out of your way to be offended.:rolleyes:

BannsideBoy
03/03/2004, 12:05 PM
Originally posted by ghosty
I could point out the Glory Hunters at the IC Final last season, you had over 4000 there. Where are they now? Plenty of Rainjurs tops on show as well, so basically sort your own house out 1st before you get at others.

Tell me this what Celtic songs do cliftonville sing? The odd rendition of you'll never walk alone, but that's it.

look at my other post before spitting your dummy out, cliftonville was my example:rolleyes:

BannsideBoy
03/03/2004, 10:41 PM
A topic regarding the 'superstripes' has not come up yet to contribute.

My interest in this site is to widen my horizons regarding eirecom league teams, I read their forums but hardly ever contribute in them.

lopez
04/03/2004, 12:23 PM
A topic regarding the 'superstripes' has not come up yet to contribute.

My interest in this site is to widen my horizons regarding eirecom league teams, I read their forums but hardly ever contribute in them.
There must be a topic about Coleraine that we can all discuss and perhaps allow Davros to leave his 'unionist baggage' at home. Things can't be that quiet! :)

BannsideBoy
04/03/2004, 1:17 PM
Any topic regarding CFC at the moment circle around our current financial situation, and its been done to death about us one minute going bankrupt, the next we have a sugar daddy bailing us out and the best one i have heard is that we would be forced to reform and start in the junior leagues again, i can't see the irish league kicking out the team with possibly the 4th biggest support in it.

Our ground isn't in too bad a state either, much the same as many other grounds in both the irish and eircom leagues ( I will refrain from the word stadia ).

So its not too bad, all we need is to get those supporters who follow teams in England and Scotland to start going to Local games and we should see an upturn in the fortunes of all the clubs on this Island. ( easier said than done )

TommyT
04/03/2004, 3:55 PM
Originally posted by lopez
There must be a topic about Coleraine that we can all discuss and perhaps allow Davros to leave his 'unionist baggage' at home. Things can't be that quiet! :)

Actually I saw a couple of threads a while ago about Linfield fans complaining about Coleraine's sectarian chanting.

lopez
04/03/2004, 8:10 PM
Actually I saw a couple of threads a while ago about Linfield fans complaining about Coleraine's sectarian chanting.
Stop it Tommy! I'm splitting my sides here at this. :D :eek: :D The only thing I can think of is that the Derry City boys have forsaken the EL and have infilitrated Coleraine with a few DJ Chucky anthems. I can't believe that Linfield fans have complained about 'sectarian chanting' at Coleraine. This is a wind up? No? Please? Bannsideboy? :D

BannsideBoy
04/03/2004, 8:39 PM
Coleraine like most clubs in Northern Ireland have their share of 'bigot' fans, but the club has been doing alot to make sure that the club reaches both communities in the area; however there is a strong stereotype that Coleraine and therefore the club is Unionist. In 1996 when I began going to matches seriously I can recall a few renditions of the sash when playing the likes of Cliftonville, when the crowd may have been swelled by the 'windy hall' billy boys, but against teams like Omagh when there was a smaller crowd ( the true supporters ) there was no sectarian singing, make your own conclusions from that.

These days I hear very little sectarian songs, any that are started fizzle out before the second line. It’s a more family atmosphere than that of the mid nineties.

If plans to make the 'shed' end seated it will help too

As for the charge of sectarian singing by linfield, I have to agree that that is the pot calling the kettle black.

So to summarize, all Coleraine fans are not saints, but show me any club's whose are.

lopez
04/03/2004, 8:44 PM
In 1996 when I began going to matches seriously I can recall a few renditions of the sash when playing the likes of Cliftonville...
Ahh we can't call that a sectarian song. Me and a couple of North London boys were singing that leaving Fulham during the summer after Celtic had played there. Didn't seem to offend anyone, although Sylvo seemed to be telling all and sundry that he didn't know us...'It was old but it was beautiful and the colours they are fine...';)

TommyT
05/03/2004, 12:22 AM
So to summarize, all Coleraine fans are not saints, but show me any club's whose are.

Eh Southampton ?

Eh, I'll get me coat.....

sylvo
05/03/2004, 12:22 AM
Hey I were'nt gonna run the risk of getting a doing from all those mad looking teenager's who were walking behind us, you know the one's behind us who had the Barry McGuigan tash's waving flag's who were hanging out with senorita's with the pigtail's, hoss you and Art were on yer own there. :eek:

BannsideBoy
05/03/2004, 12:27 AM
yeah but they are all just big (st) mary's

( mine was worse:D )

lopez
05/03/2004, 8:26 AM
Hey I were'nt gonna run the risk of getting a doing from all those mad looking teenager's who were walking behind us, you know the one's behind us who had the Barry McGuigan tash's waving flag's who were hanging out with senorita's with the pigtail's, hoss you and Art were on yer own there. :eek:
Art was a bit b*llocksed which might explain why a good Ulsterman like him would come out with a song like that at the end of a Celtic match. But he did seem to know all the words.:D

The Only point of contention re. BB's mob was that,as DG's bro'(Top chap for regulation puppet-stater!),was that he confirmed the presence of a 'Coleraine' *******ised red hand flag,in the'Hun'end in Kashima,........but as he said'What else'd ye expect?'........Sad Fecks......a higher power will rescue them..........!

Good luck v.d'Tans.........
Can DG's bro. shine any light on where el gordo has gone for the last few days?

As for flag's with Coleraine on, s'pose no chance that you were there above the goal in Stuttgart 88, Bannside?

lopez
05/03/2004, 9:03 AM
Can confirm DG,'alive & well(!)'.....accepting beers from anyone who'd buy one,after borrowing money from me....have attempted to use modern technology to contact......

Didn't know IFA,about IL teams,but rambling incoherantly about Depeche Mode & Estonia.........
I've sneeked a peek on ourweeminds (hopefully I was quick enough that Inspector Knacker and the boys from operation ore didn't see me) and his last post was - I kid you not - asking where was the best place for a nosebag in Tallin. :D Looks like he's not going to answer any of my more tricky questions (just like research girl) :( which to be honest is an answer in itself.

BannsideBoy
05/03/2004, 3:30 PM
Art was a bit b*llocksed which might explain why a good Ulsterman like him would come out with a song like that at the end of a Celtic match. But he did seem to know all the words.:D

Can DG's bro. shine any light on where el gordo has gone for the last few days?

As for flag's with Coleraine on, s'pose no chance that you were there above the goal in Stuttgart 88, Bannside?

sorry i was 8 at the time:(

BannsideBoy
07/03/2004, 12:12 AM
Well after the battle of the marshes, hopefully coleraine can show their better class and finish off Newry, the way they should have on sat, at the showgrounds on tuesday.

Then the winner will play limavady, so I would hope, if Coleraine got through on tuesday, they could see off Limavady.

As for the other semi, i can't see Omagh beating the Glens.

So i would make it another Glens vs Coleraine final on the first of May.

Similar result would do me fine:D

lopez
07/03/2004, 10:22 AM
Bannsideboy: Did you get 442 this week. Interesting article from five IL Belfast based fans. All seemed interested in forming (re-forming?) an all-Ireland league. As this subject would interest all of us on this forum (except barstoolers), what's your two cents?

Duncan Gardner
07/03/2004, 10:57 AM
Interesting article. One of the five guys interviewed ('Duncer' on OWC) makes clear there that he's only interested with a few obvious qualifications- like keeping a separate IFA, European places etc. So, in other words, IL fans are really only interested in a limited cup competition. As discussed here repeatedly.

BannsideBoy
07/03/2004, 11:48 AM
On Davros point, the winner of the Irish cup reaches the second preliminary uefa cup round, and Coleraine recorded a home victory against Liera of Portugal, unfortunately losing the away leg.

I haven’t yet purchased 442 but I am aware of the article.

As for an all Ireland league, I have a few concerns.

The cost of travel, several of the teams in both leagues would find it hard to take a team never mind a support to games. Large sponsorship would have to come into the game.

The basic fact of trouble, the stigma of northern clubs versus southern clubs would obviously bring out unsavoury characters from both leagues.

Would it jeopardise the two national teams, if fifa saw a united domestic league then there would be a push to have a unified national Irish team.

The simple fact that the two leagues have a different calendar, the eircom teams would have to revert back to winter football as summer football in the north would not be viable with the parades and disturbances that perennially appear around June and July.

However Ideally I would love to see it happen, if these problems could be resolved, I can only see it being a good thing for the teams involved. I would like to see a cup competition first the test the water, and then the look at a small top club league, then if that is a success a well sponsored league. I would love a weekend trip to follow coleraine on cork.

lopez
07/03/2004, 4:06 PM
The simple fact that the two leagues have a different calendar, the eircom teams would have to revert back to winter football as summer football in the north would not be viable with the parades and disturbances that perennially appear around June and July.
Might even serve as an alternative to the parades in entertainment for the less religious amongst the marchers. Good for bringing money into the game too, no? :D

Good points made. Initially the competition known as the Tyler All-Ireland cup which was last played before you were born should be revived, which leaves aside the argument that this is all unprecedented. Friendlies have been played for years between both league's clubs so there should be only marginal 'hooligan' problems, although the 'hangers-on' might come back if the competition becomes high profile. Anyway, there's worse in Northern Europe at the moment when clubs play pre-season friendlies.

BannsideBoy
07/03/2004, 4:13 PM
Might even serve as an alternative to the parades in entertainment for the less religious amongst the marchers. Good for bringing money into the game too, no? :D

I agree it would take people away from the marches, but what i was refering to was that the booking of buses and travel restrictions would be the major factor.

I for one would love to see summer football for coleraine, sitting in the sun in july watching coleraine at home to st Pats would be great, peeps could make a week of it and stay in portrush and the winner of the game could get a free go on Barry's big dipper:D

Like i say I'm all for it so long as its properly thought out.

BannsideBoy
07/03/2004, 4:22 PM
1.Bohemians
2.Cork City
3.Glentoran
4.Linfield
5.Portadown
6.Derry City
7.St Pats
8.Shelbourne
9.Shamrock rovers
10.Drogeda
11.Coleraine
12.Longford
13.Waterford
14.Ballymena Utd
15.Dundalk
16.Lisburn

Give or take a few, this would be a great league, good supports for most teams.

Duncan Gardner
07/03/2004, 4:26 PM
Well, anyone without a social club can go for a start...

lopez
07/03/2004, 4:37 PM
1.Bohemians
2.Cork City
3.Glentoran
4.Linfield
5.Portadown
6.Derry City
7.St Pats
8.Shelbourne
9.Shamrock rovers
10.Drogeda
11.Coleraine
12.Longford
13.Waterford
14.Ballymena Utd
15.Dundalk
16.Lisburn

Give or take a few, this would be a great league, good supports for most teams.
That does look an impressive league (Lisburn being Glenavon I think). Still Uefa would probably put the boot in on such a league even though it would probably increase standards north and south as it includes two football 'nations'. Don't think they'd stop an all-Ireland competition unless it 'detracts from our product the Champions League (Registered Trademark) and their sponsors.'

Got an idea re the marching season. How about having the marches up and down the pitch as pre-match cultural 'entertainment' instead of sending them through neighbourhoods where the residents aren't too welcoming. Police would be pleased too as all the nutters will be in one place. :D

BannsideBoy
07/03/2004, 4:40 PM
:D

Duncan Gardner
07/03/2004, 5:03 PM
That does look an impressive league (Lisburn being Glenavon I think).

Glenavon play in Lurgan old boy. Perhaps you should follow your pal Research Girl's example?

Thanks again for the shirt. Perhaps I was a little curt before. As you suggest, I think it will look nice in the DM bar ;)

BannsideBoy
07/03/2004, 5:16 PM
I think he was refering to Glenavon replacing lisburn in that league, which is unfair, although glenavon are a 'bigger' club, their team is inferior to distillery's

sylvo
07/03/2004, 7:02 PM
Well thank f:D :D k we're talking about football, I'm all for an all Ireland cup competition, I think it's in the best intrest's of both league's.

lopez
07/03/2004, 7:17 PM
I think he was refering to Glenavon replacing lisburn in that league, which is unfair, although glenavon are a 'bigger' club, their team is inferior to distillery's
As per U, DG's right. Still nice to know he's back talking to me. Might have to wait a few days before I return the compliment. :rolleyes:

Yes I did mistake Glenavon playing in Lisburn while I should know full well they play in Lurgan (along with a certain Celtic). Just never thought Lisburn had a side in the Irish League, let alone a decent one, so immediately got them mixed up, which shows how much I follow the IL. :(

Well thank f:D :D k we're talking about football, I'm all for an all Ireland cup competition, I think it's in the best intrest's of both league's.
That's because Mrs. Gardner (aka Davros) is in a Glasgee pub celebrating at the moment. :D

BannsideBoy
07/03/2004, 7:30 PM
Lisburn are lisburn distillery fc, the team formerly known as distillery but put lisburn infront of their name to get people from the town to associate with the club............my mistake.

lopez
07/03/2004, 7:41 PM
Lisburn are lisburn distillery fc, the team formerly known as distillery but put lisburn infront of their name to get people from the town to associate with the club............my mistake.
Ah now I see. Last time I looked, Distillery were playing (or rather not playing) in Belfast. Grosvenor Park was it? FFS when was the last time I looked at your league properly? :rolleyes:

BannsideBoy
07/03/2004, 8:06 PM
seems everyone is doing it

http://irishleagueforums.net/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1679

lopez
07/03/2004, 9:34 PM
He should be so lucky!
Only the MB of the GA variety would spare him a look.......& alas missed yesterday's OF game as managing my Sun.footy side......I'll spare you the latest theory why the H*ns are obsessed by 1690.....
Thought I'd gone over the top with that statement. I meant it as you are always bickering at each other, like an old couple, rather than a Research Girl style accusation about suits and toilet seats. Got the joke about 1690 from McMadman: Funny, but not as funny as the Leicester player joke he sent me.

Duncan Gardner
08/03/2004, 9:04 AM
Call me anytime if you want to talk, boys.

Here's the deal. You stop the abuse to me personally and I'll leave you alone.

Paddy Ramone
08/03/2004, 9:54 AM
Isn't Duncan a Crusaders fan? By the way Duncan, do you know a fella called Henry Cluney from your neck of the woods. He's also a fan of the Hatchetmen.

For those that don't know, he was a guitarist with an infamous punk band called Stiff Little Fingers who were big back in the stone age. I've just been talking to him on the net. He seems to be a fairly decent bloke.

Duncan Gardner
08/03/2004, 10:32 AM
Originally posted by Paddy Ramone
Isn't Duncan a Crusaders fan? By the way Duncan, do you know a fella called Henry Cluney from your neck of the woods. He's also a fan of the Hatchetmen.

For those that don't know, he was a guitarist with an infamous punk band called Stiff Little Fingers who were big back in the stone age. I've just been talking to him on the net. He seems to be a fairly decent bloke.

Aye, sound guy. Lives in Minneapolis I think? I've spoken to him a few times. Also, tell him big Dee the sound engineer at the Empire sends regards :)